The Apprentice (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #2)

The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  21,794 ratings  ·  1,055 reviews
The bestselling author of The Surgeon returns—and so does that chilling novel’s diabolical villain. Though held behind bars, Warren Hoyt still haunts a helpless city, seeming to bequeath his evil legacy to a student all-too-diligent . . . and all-too-deadly.

THE APPRENTICE It is a boiling hot Boston summer. Adding to the city’s woes is a series of shocking crimes, in which...more
Published (first published 2002)

I'm a big fan of the Rizzoli & Isles tv show and with the fall hiatus, I decided to start reading the actual books. Full disclosure, I skipped The Surgeon (#1 in this series) because, honestly, Maura Isles is not in it. Sorry. Not interested.

I can definitely tell you, if you've watched the tv show, you can jump into this book first without any problems. The changes that were made for the tv show are, in my opinion, fairly minor in terms of characters and their relationships to each other (fo...more
Raíla Soares
When I finished reading The Surgeon, I was way too excited to put my hands on the next book of this series and read it. Unfortunatelly, I only could do it months later, but I did it well. I read The Apprentice in one day and a half. This rarely happens! I have seen that it's only a sugestion for you to read the series in order. I don't think so, though. I believe I wouldn't have understood it well if I haven't read The Surgeon first.

This second one is basically a sequel for The Surgeon. The "new...more
Tea Time with Marce
From my blog

My Review - 2 1/2 Not my cup of tea

What a total let down, I cannot believe this was written by the same author, The Surgeon was almost perfection in my mind, so to get a total boring, what was the point follow up was beyond disappointing.

This read like a debut, repetition continuously. I understand the details needed for those that didn't read The Surgeon but even if you didn't it became insanely unnecessary.

There was no mystery to me in this book, so The Surgeon escapes from prison...more
Liz
Natalie
It's summer again, and a new body's been found just outside of the Boston precinct. Korsak calls Rizzoli, believing as she does this has something to do with the Surgeon--even though he's behind bars. Even though she knows he's behind bars, the way everything is laid out at the crime scene convinces her that he's involved somehow.

Too bad no one else believes that. Convinced Jane is obsessed with the Surgeon, Special Agent Dean of the FBI tries to get her removed from the case. But even when thei...more
Neide Parafitas
Mais uma vez a cidade de Boston volta a ser acometida por crimes hediondos que deixam os seus habitantes absolutamente aterrorizados!!

As vítimas são casais abastados e enquanto a esposa é torturada, o marido é obrigado a assistir! O modus operandi é bastante semelhante ao do "Cirurgião", o que leva a crer que é este o culpado! Mas o "cirurgião" está preso e não há qualquer possibilidade de que tenha sido este a cometer estes crimes.

Assim sendo, só há uma explicação... "O cirurgião" tem um admira...more
Danni
Just like the surgeon, The Apprentice kept my attention the entire way through. Which I was actually quite surprised about, considering Jane Rizzoli, the main character of the series, was one of my least favorite characters in The Surgeon. I went into this book worrying that I wouldn't like it because of my dislike for the main character. Instead, by showing us more about her, and letting us into her head for the entire book, rather than the snippets of the last one, I grew to respect her, and m...more
Mel
I really don't care for medical thrillers. Like csi this book suffers from the problem of everyone standing around and explaining their jobs and the technicalities of what they found.

I love the show that is based on these books and wanted to read this one too because it had Maura in. I was amused to see she was a goth! But she is not the adorable geeky Maura of the show. Half way in and she has no personality at all.

Maura's isn't the only disappointing characterisation Korzak is horrible and ho...more
Simon Jenner
I read 'The Surgeon' before this and enjoyed it and I wondered where the author would go from there. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with this as, whilst the main character continued to be fleshed out, the rest of the book was very 'samey' and never really took off for me.

I was especially disappointed with the ending, which for me was wrapped up far to quickly and conveniently and seemed like it had been rattled off to get the book finished. All of the 'samey' build up resulted in a...more
Boof
After reading the utterly brilliant first book in Gerritsen’s Rizzoli and Isles series, The Surgeon, I couldn’t wait a single second more to get stuck into the next in the series. I hoped it would be every bit as good……and it was! Infact, as I write this I am half way through #8 in the series (never before have I read any single authors books back-to-back until now).

The Apprentice is the moniker given to a new serial killer stalking wealthy couples in Boston, a killer who has a strikingly simila...more
Stacey
I prefer to read series books in order, however, my local library didn't have the 1st book in the Rizzoli series on audio CD so I waivered and went ahead with The Apprentice. I had already listened to another book in this series and it didn't matter that I hadn't read the previous ones.
The Apprentice, however, constantly refers to events and characters in The Surgeon. I didn't feel lost or that I couldn't understand the full effect of what was going on, but rather, I felt like there were secret...more
Felicia
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Purchased: Purchased Audiobook from Audible

What I Loved: This was the 2nd book in this series and it was firing on all cylinders. From beginning to end, the case was intriguing and chilling. Perhaps the best part of the book was the continuation of the story between the Surgeon and Rizzoli. It was wonderful to watch the story unfold from both of their perspectives in a unique, emotional, and raw way. I won't give away any spoilers but I will say that the story takes ma...more
Punk
Thriller. The serial killer known as the Surgeon is back to menace Boston Homicide Detective Jane Rizzoli, but Rizzoli is way too stubborn and angry to let him get away with that for long.

The first book in this series really pissed me off. Its portrayal of rape and gender was completely offensive and the clumsy writing and unsympathetic characters only made the problem worse.

Gerritsen corrects some of those mistakes in this book. For example, the text does a better job of distinguishing between...more
Gary
Another well plotted story

This tightly plotted novel returns to familiar ground covered on The Surgeon, the first book in this series. There are new twists and at no point did this story feel like a rehash.
Part of what makes these stories work is the author's ability to create realistic, flawed and realistic characters that the reader can care about.
On the surface this seems like another serial killer novel, but as the author demonstrates, it's all about the writing. There are several gripping s...more
Fergie
Another spellbinding, chilling rouser from the queen of crime thrillers. Tess Gerritsen knows how to keep her audience on the edge of their seats – The Apprentice doesn’t lag or dull in any aspect. If you want to keep up with Gerritsen’s sharp, intelligent mind, keen attention needs to be paid to each thrilling page.

This is the second book in the Rizzoli & Isles series – the book that introduces the character of Dr. Maura Isles, but there’s no mistaking that the book’s plot belongs solely t...more
Mrs. Foley
The 2nd book in the series of murder thrillers that inspired the "Rizzoli and Isles" TV series. Also a good read. Continues the story of "The Surgeon" from the 1st book. I remember the episodes on TV that were from these books. Now I kinda want to go back to see what changes the TV show made (besides the obvious fact that Angie Harmon cannot be "plain-looking!").

Review from Booklist:
Gerritsen's fans--and they are many--will be clamoring for this sequel to her most recent book, the best-selling...more
Jerry
Gory sequel to "Surgeon", be prepared for blood and guts...

While we usually hear this author's name mentioned alongside Robin Cook and Michael Palmer, we find this third (of her six) we've read so far to be more a typical, hard-core police procedural, focused far more on the psyche and activities of the book's brutal serial killers and their cop chasers than on medical speculation or intrigue. John Sandford's "...Prey" series jumps right to mind as a comparison -- and indeed, the plot and actio...more
Ana Evelia
First of all, I've decided to write a review for The Apprentice after re-reading the majority of the Rizzoli & Isles series by Ms. Gerritsen. I can't say that I didn't enjoy the book, since it is my second time reading the book, I knew to expect gruesome details, a lot of law enforcement jargon -- and I wasn't disappointed. But I was disappointed with the fact that this time around I realized that I had a problem with the way Ms. Gerritsen portrays Jane as if she were ashamed of being a woma...more
Duesterwald-Online
Inhalt:
Wieder herrscht in Boston ein heißer, unerträglicher Sommer. In dieser Zeit findet eine grausame Serie von Verbrechen statt, in denen Männer gezwungen werden zuzuschauen, wie ihre Frauen brutal vergewaltigt werden - Für beide endet dieses grausame Szenario immer im Tod.
Das Muster dieser Verbrechen erinnert an einen bereits bekannten Täter: Warren Hoyt.
Doch dieser sollte eigentlich im Gefängnis sitzen.

So bleibt also nur ein Nachahmer in Frage - Jedenfalls denken das Detective Jane Rizzol...more
Lynn Spencer
3.5 stars This is part of the Rizzoli and Isles series, but be warned: If you're expecting the books to be like the TV show, you're in for one heck of a surprise. The characters don't bear too much resemblance to their TV counterparts and there's definitely less humor woven into the story. I knew this going in so it wasn't so much of a jolt for me but I could see some being a bit surprised.

This book follows after the action in The Surgeon, and we find Jane Rizzoli on the track of a new serial ki...more
Megan Cooper
This is the kind of book that, while pretty well written among the suspense/mystery series genre, wouldn't be allowed much literary acclaim in circles where debates about "great literature" are held, but that many a reader will surely enjoy for the plot and pacing. And because we like mystery television. I didn't know until I found the audiobook on my Catalist app that the show was based on a book series--then, looking for something that would keep my attention and interest (read: not let me fal...more
Dlora
I thought this was a new Tess Gerritsen book and I grabbed it to read on the airplane. When I opened it up, I discovered I'd read it before, but since I was on the plane I couldn't go get another book from my shelf. Actually, it held up well on a second read and was just as scary and interesting as the first time. The Apprentice is about a serial killer--well, two serial killers who end up combining forces--and it is pretty gory and suspenseful. The main character is police detective Jane Rizzol...more
Lise Quinn
Again another great book by Tess Garritsen. This is the second book in the Rizzoli & Isles series. As someone else mentioned, you should really read these in order. This review will be a bit of a spoiler for the first book, "The Surgeon". After putting the Surgeo" behind bars, Rizzoli is recovering from the physical and emotional trauma of almost becoming one of the his victims when another horrific serial killer strikes again. These murders have the feel of the Surgeon's, but it can't be......more
Carla Faleiro
Apesar de seguir a série de TV baseada nos livros, não quis deixar de os ler para fazer uma comparação. É óbvio que há imensas diferenças, a começar pelas relações entre os personagens, no entanto não se perde nada em seguir uma e outra.

O "Aprendiz" é o 2º volume da série e mais uma vez coloca frente a frente Jane Rizzoli e Hoyt o assassino que a torturou no livro anterior, apesar de não ser tão intenso quando o 1º volume, continua a deixar-nos presas à leitura. A escrita de Tess é recheada de p...more
Ben
I enjoyed The Surgeon, but the Apprentice was a real letdown. The story was predictable and far more about a self loathing detective than a crime novel. The relationships seemed contrived, the characters existence random, and the ending rushed. To me its a bad sign when the protagonist doesn't even encounter or know of the villain until the last 5% of the book. Lots of build up for very little return. If you're looking for a good crime novel look elsewhere as the Apprentice is a real failure com...more
rufio
This is the second novel in the Rizzoli & Isles series and I liked it. I don't believe it was on par with the first in the Series, the surgeon but I like that as a stand-alone story anyway.

The reason why these aren't my favourites books is because of how completely different the story is to the TV show (which i know i shouln't do but i can't help it as i'm a huge fan of rizzles). Anyways the second it pretty good but i can't say that for the third in the series, which i will review now...
Serena Cloos
Het is gebeurd… Ik ben verslingerd geraakt aan een nieuwe serie boeken die ik absoluut allemaal wil lezen.
Ook dit was weer een ontzettend spannend boek met zo'n onderhuidse spanning dat je het maar moeilijk weg kunt leggen. Gedurende het hele boek ben ik op het verkeerde been gezet over wie de dader in dit verhaal zou kunnen. Hoe anders bleek de ontknoping.
Ik ben benieuwd of Rizzoli & Isles in de volgende boeken net zo nauw gaan samenwerken als in de gelijknamige serie.
Dorsi
I really liked this one. I think it's my favorite Tess Gerritsen so far. I believe it is number 2 in the Rizzoli and Isles series but I have read these out of order. It was read by Anna Fields. She did a great job.
Lynsey A

Well, I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first but it was still a good read. Another page turner once I got in to the story.

I am warming up a bit to Rizzoli. Keeping my fingers crossed she improves more throughout the rear of the series.

I assume that we see more of Dr. Isles in the upcoming books. There wasn't much interaction between the two in The Apprentice. I hope they become friends like in the tv series. I think Rizzoli needs a good friend.
Freyja Vanadis
Again, good writing but there are two things that really bug me. One, the way Gerritsen has all her characters call a suspect "unsub" for unknown subject, even people from agencies that are totally unrelated to each other and would have no reason to know that word. I read a LOT of mysteries and crime dramas, and I've never come across that word before. It's completely unrealistic that every one of her law enforcement characters would use the word unsub.
And two, which bothers me even worse, is th...more
The Women's Myste...: The Apprentice (#2) 7 20 Apr 04, 2013 07:56AM
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Spider Bones (Temperance Brennan, #13)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barret, #3)
  • The Next Accident (Quincy & Rainie, #3)
  • The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)
  • Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter #3)
  • The Rosary Girls
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • Silent Scream (Romantic Suspense, #11)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller...more
More about Tess Gerritsen...
The Surgeon Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5) Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4) The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3) Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)

“Some people make choices hoping for the best; Korsak had made a choice simply to avoid the worst.” 5 likes
“Society thinks of violent acts as manifestations of evil or immorality. We're told we have ultimate control over our own behavior, that each and every one of us has the free will to choose not to hurt another human being. But it's not just morality that guides us. Biology does as well. Our frontal lobs helps us integrate thoughts and actions. They help us weight the consequences of those actions. Without such control, we'd give in to every wild impulse.” 2 likes