Start by marking “Rare Treasure: Mary Anning and Her Remarkable Discoveries” as Want to Read:
Rare Treasure: Mary Anning and Her Remarkable Discoveries

Rare Treasure: Mary Anning and Her Remarkable Discoveries

Before the word dinosaur was even invented, an English girl discovered a remarkable skeleton on the rocky beach at Lyme Regis. Thus began a lifelong passion for the woman who became one of the first commercial fossil collectors.
Mary Anning (1799–1847) spent her lifetime teaching herself about fossils and combing the rugged shore for ancient treasures. Her collection thrill
Published June 16th 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Rare Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rare Treasure

Lisa Vegan
Sep 15, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: interest in remarkable girls; interest in dinosaurs, fossils, science
I believe this is the fourth or fifth children’s picture book I’ve read about Mary Anning. I have yet to read her biography or an adult novel about her, but I am interested in reading both.

This version is excellent. I liked the illustrations. The biography covers almost all the details all the other books did, and adds a couple details not covered in any of the other books.

This book concentrates quite a bit on the fact that Mary Anning left school at age eleven, but was self-educated. It covers
Judy Desetti
Jun 30, 2010 Judy Desetti rated it really liked it
It is a picture book which tells the story of her life. A simple biography although it is found in nonfiction rather than the biography section in the library. It is a remarkable story about how she overcame poverty and went on to study and be one of the best paleontologists with only a third grade education. She made the famous discovery of the first Ichthyosaur in near perfect condition in 1811 at only 12 years old.
Abby Kenski
I thought this was a very interesting book, I enjoyed it. Not many stories are about a young girl who grows up teaching herself about fossils, which is why I thought it was a very different book. The illustrations were very soft and smooth. They weren't very bright and colorful, everything just kind of blended in together. Which I think might be a downfall to this book, because this may not be appealing to children since the pictures are a little boring.
Connie
Dec 21, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
Mary Anning, like so many famous and influential people, had a difficult childhood. Impoverished from birth, she and her brother looked for fossils to help support the family. And when she was grown, she continued to do so.

The field of paleontology was very, very young when Anning entered it, and she was influential in many of the important discoveries that were made then - and now, even. However, because of her sex she's never received much recognition from the rest of the world.

This book is cl
Marni
"In 1799, Mary Anning was born in Lyme Regis, a small English port tucked tightly between cliffs and coast.

"Mary was poor and her life was hard--as hard as a stone. But she was also curious and smart and her spirit shone--it shone like a gem."

We read this along with a few other picture book biographies. When we finished, Carolyn looked at me with eyes shining and told me that when she's 13 she wants to write a book about herself. Apparently there are great things in store for her too.

I love read
Charles
I read this because I am looking for a children's book about Mary Anning to read to kids as part of a day-camp I'm putting together for my job.

I feel like this book is kind of sloppy in its descriptions of the animals Anning found. This is something that the kids probably will struggle with. I wish it had more clear pictures and descriptions. I would say it's a fine book if you are interested in the story of Mary Anning's life but not particularly interested in what she contributed to paleontolo
Matthew
Oct 09, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good picture book biography of Mary Anning, the woman who devoted her life to unearthing fossils along the English shoreline. She was a truly incredible woman and this book does a great job of describing her accomplishments. I liked the book. It does what many Don Brown biographies do, makes the lives of important yet overlooked or forgotten historical figures clear, understandable, and interesting again.
Shelli
Jul 01, 2014 Shelli rated it really liked it
Don Brown did a nice job with this children’s picture book biography on Mary Anning, a self-taught woman who made fossil hunting a passion and a career beginning at a very early age. This story is filled with numerous facts yet also told in an entertaining way; perfect for any elementary biography report.
Margaret Boling
Jun 15, 2011 Margaret Boling rated it liked it
6/15/11 ** Picture book biography ** Describes the span of Mary Anning's life and how she became known throughout Europe as an early fossil hunter and expert. Helps the reader understand Anning's development as a scientist. Illustrations are rather bland and many details are left out, but the book is appropriate for the younger reader.
Rachel
Interesting story about Mary Anning, the first person and woman to discover dinosaur fossils. Even though she only had a seventh grade education, she spent her entire life studying fossils and natural history and was revered by scientists and other important men of the day. Good way to introduce girls to dinosaurs.
Christine Rebbert
Sep 17, 2012 Christine Rebbert rated it really liked it
Okay; so this is a children's book, but I got it out of the library because I'd just read Tracy Chevalier's "Remarkable Creatures" about Mary Anning and wanted to know more, and also my 7-year-old grandson is a big fan of dinosaurs, so I read it to him. The illustrations are lush and evocative; the prose very fine as well. A good introduction to Anning and paleontology in general...
Science For The People
Featured on Skeptically Speaking show #193 on December 21, 2012, on our special Book Review episode. This book was reviewed by Josh Witten and the review can be heard starting at timestamp 00:47:33. http://skepticallyspeaking.ca/episode...
Teri
May 11, 2016 Teri rated it it was amazing
I love stories about Mary Anning! They are perfect girl-power books for my house full of girls. (Of course I think boys should read them too!) This one is especially well-written.
Rosemary
May 18, 2015 Rosemary rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
A fine book for teaching students about Mary Anning and her work finding fossils in the early 1800's.
Gabe
Gabe rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2011
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2015
Celestia
Celestia rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
louisa
Giverny Award winner. Plus! Mary Anning
Ana
Ana rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Becci
Becci rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Mslogar
Jun 26, 2012 Mslogar rated it it was amazing
My daughter thoroughly enjoyed this story and learning about Mary Anning
Magie
Magie rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Megan Dincher
Megan Dincher rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2013
Kathely
Kathely rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Allie Riley
Allie Riley rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Bree
Bree rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2013
4198059

Don Brown is the award-winning author and illustrator of many picture book biographies. He has been widely praised for his resonant storytelling and his delicate watercolor paintings that evoke the excitement, humor, pain, and joy of lives lived with passion. School Library Journal has called him "a current pac
More about Don Brown...