Start by marking “My Favorite Witch” as Want to Read:
My Favorite Witch

My Favorite Witch

Love is magical in "USA Today"-bestselling author Plumley's enchanting new novel about a runaway witch and the warlock who's on her trail--and in her thrall. Original.
Published September 1st 2009 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My Favorite Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Favorite Witch

Feb 08, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: para-witches
The Good: The idea of magic classes for witches coming into their power is always a win for me, especially twisting it so that the real power doesn't show up until the women are 30.

The Bad: Lust masquerading as love. T.J.'s blatant stalking of Dayna portrayed as his being drawn to her, rather than being a Peeping Tom with an entire catalog of issues. A completely predictable Mean Girls comeuppance story line, except they aren't teenagers anymore and that makes the entire attitude really kind of
Leslie
Sep 22, 2009 Leslie rated it really liked it
Have you ever felt inspiration hit you? You know...when an idea just pops into your head and you have to write it down? When a trickle of a thought becomes a tidal wave? Something like that must have happened to Ms. Plumley.

From her letter to readers in the book, the author states never having written in the paranormal romance genre. You could not tell. Ms. Plumley built a complex world with history and culture. The witches and warlocks who practice magic have been in hiding from humankind sinc
Jenni
Mar 09, 2010 Jenni rated it liked it
I found the storyline interesting. A 30 year old witch is coming of age. She has never been good at magic so she went to live among humans. She suddenly finds herself being forced to practice magic again. She becomes bonded to a warlock and learns that she has a lot more potential then she believed. I thought the book opened up some great possibilities for future novels.

However I only gave it 3 stars and would never recomend this book to friends for two reasons. First, I hate it when authors us
LuLu
Feb 08, 2010 LuLu rated it really liked it
Finally...! -Raises fist- I haven't had time to visit the bookstore lately, so when I went yesterday, man was it heaven on earth. I even managed to find Lisa's new release, My Favorite Witch, within all my scrambling.
Nairabell
Oct 17, 2011 Nairabell rated it liked it
Recommended to Nairabell by: Photojim
Dayna Sterling ran away from her hometown as soon as she could and has been carving out a normal human life for herself as a research assistant in Phoenix, Arizona. But Dayna isn't human...she's a witch and half-warlock tracer T.J. McAllister has been dispatched to bring her home to Covenhaven. Dayna is about to cusp and come into her full powers which makes her a danger to those around her so T.J. is supposed to bring her in for manditory training. Dayna has other plans, and she's going to turn ...more
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Hmmm... Read as a buddy read for October's PIFM Challenge. First let me say that I'm sorry Nairabell. I should have heeded some of the negative reviews and picked a better book.

Dayna Sterling is a 30 YO witch. In a witch's world that means that she is finally going through her witch puberty and getting her magic in full. Of course she's never really had much witch magic. In fact she gave up on being a witch completely and moved to the human world where she works as a research assistant. It turn
Amanda
Jun 19, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I loved the general concept of this story, and had high hopes for it. Even though I didn't read the whole story there were things that I found great and would have loved to have seen expanded upon, and things I found not so great, which enviably had me not being able to finish it and just largely skimming through.

I will start with the great things I read that could have made a great story I feel if only expanded upon, or sadly to say maybe if a little bit more thought had been put into it.

- Day
Aurian Booklover
Jan 24, 2013 Aurian Booklover rated it liked it
Okay, first let’s talk about the cover. I like it. But it has nothing to do with the book itself. A spooky kind of love it says. There is no ghost or spook or anything like that in the book. No graveyeard, no church, no bats. Only lots of witches and warlocks, but they are certainly not flying on a broomstick. Yes, it does take place around Halloween. Irritatingly spelled in a strange way in this book.

Dayna Sterling is a witch who ran away from home after highschool. Highschool was a horrible ti
Robin Jenson
Mar 24, 2013 Robin Jenson rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I agree with one of the other reviewers that the back to school plot was a little tedious, and the romance could have been developed a little more. I also found some of the first third of the book dragged a bit. But once it got going, it really got going and was hard to put down. The characters were well drawn and easy to like. You really end up rooting for Dayna and T.J., who true to romance genre, end up briefly separated due to a misunderstanding. But even in the end there could have been a l ...more
Deirdre
Nov 02, 2009 Deirdre rated it really liked it
Pretty much just what the doctor ordered. Having been disappointed by Battle for Gullywith and it being Halloween I started this light story about love, lust and magic and was sucked right in.

It is pretty predictable. Girl is dragged back to her home town where she has to deal with her magic by a handsome lawman, who also happens to be a magic user. Add in some high-school politics, and some world domination plots along with a couple who have difficulty being clothed around each other and you h
Bird
Oct 11, 2009 Bird rated it did not like it
The book has a very interesting premise, but for the most part it was disappointing. The characters are flat and one-dimensional, and T.J.'s actions bothered me for most of the book. I think the whole "I can't trust anyone" was overplayed, and it got to the point where I was rolling my eyes every time it was mentioned. There were also a number of discrepancies within the book, when one thing is said about magic but then contradicted in the next chapter. Finally, there was a huge build-up to the ...more
Susan Nash
Jan 26, 2014 Susan Nash rated it did not like it
Note to main character. Don't wear hip, unconventional clothing if you ain't cool enough to pull it off. TSTL main female lead and too butch to be in a book male lead.
Didn't finish this book.

Shannon
Nov 03, 2009 Shannon rated it liked it
It took me awhile to get into this book. Once I did, I generally enjoyed it. Dayna, the female protagonist, was a bit immature for my taste, clamoring to be part of the "in" crowd like a teenager. The female villains were stereotypical mean girls, even at the age of 30. And the sex scenes were just graphic enough to make me a little bit uncomfortable. Still, the story was creative and well-thought-out, and the author's style is comfortable and easy to read. Though this book won't become a favori ...more
Bob
Apr 15, 2014 Bob rated it it was ok
Started out great, then seemed a bit aimless in the middle, fell apart at the end.
Amelia-Irene
Feb 28, 2011 Amelia-Irene rated it it was amazing
I laughed through a good part of this book. Dayna is a 30 year old "cusping" witch. One that's considered a renegade as she had never been too good with her spells and magic so she ran to the totally mortal world. Enter one T.J. who's a Tracer to find all the cusping witches who have not come in for their "formal" training - a new rule in the witch community. But something big going down and TJ has been working on it, Dayna stumbles into unintentionally and then finds the answer that TJ won't li ...more
Dawn (Kat N Hat)
I picked this book up because it had a cute cover and was at a store closing for only $2.00. The story line was good but there were too many types of witches and magic to keep track of. I was confused through the first part of the book. A glossary in the front would have been helpful. The story was a bit predictable from the beginning. There really wasn't any mystery as to what was going on just watching the clueless characters try to figure it out. Not sure that I will be picking up any of her ...more
Gypsie Holley
Feb 27, 2010 Gypsie Holley rated it liked it
This was really cute. I really enjoyed it.

Best Quotes from Book:

"You deserve praise without action. Love without measure."
----TJ's magus

"That arthritis ointment is fucking hypnotic. I don't know how you keep the geezers from swarming this place." ----TJ

"Did she seriously think she could catch her aura unaware by sneaking up on it." ----Dayna thinking

Chrizette
Dec 18, 2009 Chrizette rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It even made me late for work this morning. It is always a good sign when I cannot put a book down.
This love story was pretty simple. The big, powerful law man (with his sweet and loveable partner) take on an assignment to bring in a girl he cannot resist and sparks fly. And don't forget the beautiful popular girls (or women in this case) that want to take over the world . . . Really sweet book :)
Anna
Oct 02, 2010 Anna rated it liked it
It was a cute, fun, easy read. I enjoyed it. The storyline was adorable and well-developed as it went along. However, the male lead is a jerk, so if it's important to you that a romantic hero be heroic and gentlemanly, this may not be for you. He's from a people where betrayal or disloyalty causes physical pain, but he can't believe in his own love? Yuck. He grows or whatever, but it's still ridiculous.
Diane ~Firefly~
Jul 28, 2010 Diane ~Firefly~ rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, magic, paranormal
This was a different and interesting take on witches. The story was pretty entertaining even though you could see where everything was going. It was one of those "lust at first sight" romances. I never got the idea they got to know each other very well.
Amanda
Oct 03, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal romance
This is a cute book, and I liked the author's writing style. However, I felt that the relationship between the two main characters could have been explored more thoroughly, as the story felt a little rushed.
Kara
Sep 21, 2012 Kara added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Not what was I was expecting at all. Was hoping for a fun, light romance with some magical elements. Nope. Not this book. I gave up and won't be rating it.
Katt
Nov 03, 2009 Katt rated it it was ok
This book was so slow it was hard to finish. The characters were boring,the plot was slow. You read it just to know it ended the way you thought it wood.
Heidi
Nov 07, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it
Pretty good for a fast little in between read. The whole thing could have had more substance but I suppose that's not wh y you pick this kind of book up
Lavendersbluegreen
Dec 14, 2009 Lavendersbluegreen rated it it was amazing
An interesting Witchy paradigm. I really enjoyed reading this and hope to see more from this author especially about this set of characters!
Mem
Dec 09, 2009 Mem rated it really liked it
Dayna Sterling, untrained witch, returned by, T.J. McAllister, warlock to her hometown to be trained. She has more power than she suspected.
Sally Witt
Nov 07, 2013 Sally Witt rated it really liked it
Fun and light. I am in the hospital just after Halloween, so I chose this book to read. Glad I did.
Melanie
Dec 10, 2009 Melanie marked it as didnt-finish
too many renewals, I'll have to read it again later.What little I read was pretty good, though.
Aleksandra
Read for the first time from February 18-24 in 2010.
Heather
Sep 22, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Cute, fun and sexy! The trifecta!
  • By Magic Alone (Magic, #4)
  • Hex in High Heels (Hex, #4)
  • Being Familiar With  a Witch
  • A Fright to the Death (A Family Fortune Mystery #3)
  • Chick with a Charm (Babes-on-Brooms, #2)
  • The Seventh Witch (Ophelia & Abby, #7)
  • Witch in the House
  • Gone with the Witch (Triplet Witch Trilogy, #2)
  • Pies and Potions (Mystic Cafe, #2)
  • Allegra Fairweather (Allegra Fairweather Mystery #1)
  • Laced with Magic (Sugar Maple, #2)
  • The Heart of the Witch
  • My Way to Hell (Hell #2)
190848
Best-selling author Lisa Plumley has delighted readers worldwide with more than three dozen popular novels. Her work has been translated multiple languages and editions, and includes contemporary romances, historical romances, paranormal romances, and a variety of stories in romance anthologies.

Her fresh, funny style has been likened to such reader favorites as Rachel Gibson, Susan Elizabeth Phill
More about Lisa Plumley...