Don Cherry's Hockey Stories and Stuff

Don Cherry's Hockey Stories and Stuff

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  12 reviews
#1 National Bestseller

Don Cherry has been named a National Hockey League Coach of the Year with a winning percentage of over .600 and also received Coach of the Year honours in the American Hockey League. His comments on Hockey Night in Canada’s "Coach's Corner" routinely make headlines as they entertain, educate, and often upset some fans throughout North America. He may...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Anchor Canada (first published October 28th 2008)

Dryfly
Don Cherry's Hockey Stories and Stuff was a pleasant surprise. I've always enjoyed Cherry's commentary on Hockey Night In Canada, but I've also thought that he was a bit of a meathead. He's funny, somewhat insightful, a full-on Canadian redneck that loves being a redneck. When you look at the cover of the book, you get the feeling that it will somehow be the print version of his Rock 'em Sock 'em Greatest Hits video series. Instead, what you find inside is something completely different and the...more
Mike
If you love Don Cherry, or are a huge hockey fan, you will enjoy this book.

More of an interview than a book, Don tells many stories from his days as a hockey player and coach. It's hard to believe he never won a Stanley Cup.

If you are not a hockey fan, well, this book is probably not for you. If you like Coach's Corner, I'd consider this a near must read.
Ian
I love Don Cherry. He can't spell. He writes the way he talks. There is no PhD-stuff in here, just great hockey stories.
Wendy
This was a very interesting quick read. After watching Don and Ron on "Coaches Corner" during Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights this book has told me all about Don's life. From playing in the minors, and never quite making it to the NHL, to coaching various teams in the minors and NHL, to now being a part of Hockey Night in Canada.
His brutal honesty, witty remarks and his partnering with Ron MacLean have made him a star.
I was also able to learn about his love for "Blue" his pit-bull that...more
Clayton Wandler
It was a very good book. I liked how he put it in his own words. It was very funny. I really liked the pictures in it. I also liked well every thing in the book. I would recommend it to people who like Hockey Night In Canada.
Jason Saunders
This book is a great read. The reader feels as if he/she is sitting in Don's living room listening to him tell the greatest stories from his vast hockey past. There are time during this book tha you will have no choice to laugh out loud. I've been a fan of Don Cherry for years and watch him regularly on Hockey Night in Canada. I thought it was nice that some of the stories that he has made reference over the years on the show were brought up with more detail in the book. Gives you that feeling "...more
Paula Dembeck
This looks like a book put together to make money for the Xmas season. It is a long list of stories told in his “not very articulate English”. The stories often ramble and it is hard to get the point, but it does tell some “inside stuff”. The book is structured so it seems he is telling stories to a bunch of guys at a bar. Al Strachan, a more erudite author, tries to add some commentary to make sense of some of it. A big disappointment.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This is an "as told to" book, and as a consequence reading it is exactly like listening to Don Cherry talk on Coach's Corner. If his version of English drives you crazy ... stop, put the book down, do not open it. I liked it, though. I feel like I understand the guy's thought process more. Is that a good thing? I'm not sure. ;)
Candace
You have to like hockey and Grapes to read this book. It is written as he speaks, so if you can listen to the words in Cherry's voice, you will fly through it and be amused. If you can't, the grammar will drive you insane.
Ray
This was a very quick read as I have heard many of the stories on his radio show "Grapeline" with Brian Williams. Nonetheless, many of the stories were still funny.
Chad
Loved this book. Gets you into the mind and takes you back in time to where Grapes hot his start in life and love of the game! Must read for all sports fans!
Keri
If you already like Don Cherry, read this...if not, this is not a book for you. Personally, I think he's great!
Christopher Ouellette
I've never seen Hockey Night in Canada...I still enjoyed this book.
Sydney Stype
Hilarious stories that made me love Don Cherry even more.
Kelly Bolin
Kelly Bolin is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2014
Stephanie Mcdonald
Stephanie Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Scott Williams
Scott Williams marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Brett Williams
Brett Williams marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Taylor
Taylor added it
Apr 16, 2014
Jory Shoopman
Jory Shoopman marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Marcus Fujiwara
Marcus Fujiwara marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Don Cherry's Hockey Stories, Part 2 Grapes:: A Vintage View of Hockey Straight Up and Personal: The World According to Grapes Orient/Blue Lake Grapes: Les Raining De LA Victoria