Start by marking “The Scorpion” as Want to Read:
The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Poking a sleeping bear with a sharp stick is foolish. Marty Edwards is about to be very foolish.

Investigative reporter Marty Edwards has found her niche: cold cases. She loves pouring over old notes, hunting down long-forgotten witnesses, and digging down through the layers of an unsolved murder case. But this time, Marty is digging where someone obviously doesn't want he
Published December 15th 2009 by Bella Books

To ask other readers questions about The Scorpion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scorpion

Alena
Apr 07, 2010 Alena rated it liked it
It's sort of like compulsive behavior. I need to read a new Gerri Hill novel. I no longer feel the need to preorder them and can wait a while to see if they find their way to me on their own, but I do need to read it. Go figure.

This actually was one of the better ones. The crime part of it was incredibly fast-paced and full of suspense. Very well done. The main characters are also well done in this aspect of the story and dance around the issue of 'how do you stay good while fighting evil' and i
Wayne Spiceland
May 12, 2015 Wayne Spiceland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian-mystery
There are so many good things about Gerri Hill’s novels, including The Scorpion, it’s hard to know where to begin. The writing, from a purely mechanical standpoint, is absolutely sound, and the narrative flows smoothly, the narrative style well-suited to the tale itself. The pacing is just right, the more violent scenes alternating with quieter, sometimes introspective sections in which we learn more about the two main characters and in which they learn more about each other. Despite those relat ...more
Nov 07, 2015 Sarah marked it as dnf
I was excited when one of the main characters said that she is asexual, and explained that she has never been interested in sex or sexually attracted to someone. She refuted the usual "maybe you haven't met the right person" and "what about your hormones?" and "were you abused as a child?" "maybe you're actually into women" questions. So far so good. However, she is not happy with her asexuality and feels broken (though I don't think she actually says that, it seems clear from her thoughts) and ...more
gabbeans
Jan 20, 2013 gabbeans rated it really liked it
Tammy
Sep 09, 2016 Tammy rated it liked it
I feel like a lot of Gerri Hill novels play put the same way for me. I find myself engaged and enjoying the story, but somewhere near the end it loses me. This one was particularly egregious in that way. I found the ending pretty unsatisfying.
Raven
Apr 27, 2016 Raven rated it did not like it
Gaelle Cathy
Feb 28, 2015 Gaelle Cathy rated it liked it
Although it is a very interesting storyline, like those I like a lot in Gerri Hill's books, I had a harder time getting into the story, or mostly, connecting with the characters. Admittedly, the fact that I alternated reading the first half of the book with with studying for a major job interview might have a lot to do with this. I read the second half much faster. Overall a good story, good characters.
Simone
Jul 08, 2015 Simone rated it really liked it
Shelves: gerri-hill
M
Dec 17, 2013 M rated it really liked it
This book started so well that I devoured it in an evening. Unfortunately, the ending was a little disappointing as our main protagonist happened to be Rambo. Who knew that police officers were trained in espionage and counter terrorism?

Great read none the less.

Gerri Hill doesn't disappoint when it comes to character development and well written prose.
Cab
Mar 27, 2010 Cab rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, romance, mystery, crime
This was a nice departure from what I am used to seeing written by Gerri Hill. The premise revolves around a "cold case" murder mystery. The two main characters are interesting. It was easy to get caught up in the development of the characters. I would have liked to see more development of the "Rico" character. In some ways I was hoping for a follow up book.
Sunny
Feb 16, 2015 Sunny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the romance, but the case got a little too unbelievable. I found myself skimming over some of the police case (which is highly unusual for me) because it was getting too far outside the realm of plausibility. I liked the main characters and enjoyed the progression of their relationship.
Alyaziah
May 13, 2016 Alyaziah rated it it was ok
2 stars is the best I can give it cuz there is almost no investigation going on by the characters just stumbling on some leads, and I kinda knew who the Scorpion was before reaching 50% of the book so it wasn't really a surprise.
Anja
Aug 04, 2014 Anja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, never judge a book by its cover. This cover looks so serene and calm, but the story behind it it's nothing but. Action-filled and suspenseful. Another wonderful book by Gerri Hill (my Lesfic Queen!)
Jae Jae
Aug 18, 2011 Jae Jae rated it really liked it
I like most of Gerri Hill’s novels, and this one is a good read with really interesting characters. Some parts of the plot seemed a bit unrealistic to me, but I still enjoyed this novel.

It won a well-deserved GCLS award in the category romantic suspense.
M. Linda
Jun 29, 2016 M. Linda rated it really liked it
Good mystery that leaves you hanging on the "bad guy" until almost the end. Not only a who-done-it, but do the characters survive?
Pjcorron
Pjcorron rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Charlotte A Kington
Charlotte A Kington rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2012
Jules
Jules rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2013
Corinne Frauke Ludwig
Corinne Frauke Ludwig rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Jolene
Jolene rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2012
Rk Brahem
Rk Brahem rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Little Duck
Little Duck rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
Kahlia
Kahlia rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Allie Lyons
Allie Lyons rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
  • Hunter's Pursuit
  • Stranded
  • Branded Ann
  • Worth Every Step
  • A Matter of Trust (Justice, #0)
  • Mine
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Josie and Rebecca: The Western Chronicles
  • Mending Defects
  • The Devil Inside (Cain Casey, #1)
  • Snowbound
Gerri began writing lesbian romance as a way to amuse herself while snowed in one winter in the mountains of Colorado, and hasn’t looked back. Her first published work came in 2000 with One Summer Night. Many more romances have followed, with the occasional murder mystery in the mix.

Gerri’s love of nature and of being outdoors usually makes its way into her stories as her characters often find the
More about Gerri Hill...