Start by marking “Tess's Tree” as Want to Read:
Tess's Tree

Tess's Tree

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  91 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Tess loved her tree.
She liked to swing on it
and sit in its shade
and catch its leaves in the fall.

When Tess's tree has to come down, Tess is very sad . . . until she finds a way to gather friends and family and celebrate her tree's remarkable life.

This is a book for sharing with people you love, among good friends, or on a quiet day under a favorite tree.
Unknown Binding, 32 pages
Published August 25th 2009 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Tess's Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tess's Tree

Daniel
Apr 05, 2010 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Tess's Tree is a special little book that speaks to all of us who have ever lost something or someone we loved. It's especially well suited for helping a young child come to terms with death for the first time without having to face - with all the implications it involves - the deaths of individuals such as family members, friends, or the child himself/herself. It's a beautiful story to share with your child because it says so much in so few words and illustrations.

Tess loves her tree. From her
Mary Ann
While we want to protect our young children from grief, we need to find ways to help them deal with losing something or someone they love. Tess's Tree is a wonderful, beautiful new book that does just this is a sweet, gentle way.

Tess loved her tree with all her heart. She looked out at her tree from her bedroom window. She swung its sturdy branches and read stories in its shade. But after losing branches in a big storm, the tree had to be cut down. Oh, how Tess was angry. Sad. Despondent. She cr
Jack Keely
Dec 06, 2015 Jack Keely rated it it was amazing
This emotionally resonant picture book tells the story of Tess who is “nine years, three months, and two days old” and her love for a one hundred and seventy five year old tree. When the tree has to be cut down, Tess must find a way to deal with the anger and sorrow she feels. Jess Brallier has managed to craft a story about dealing with loss and grief in a way that a child can understand, and he has done it with charm, sensitivity, and a touch of humor. The illustrations by Peter H. Reynolds ha ...more
Katherine Salinas
Mar 23, 2014 Katherine Salinas rated it really liked it
Shelves: olivia-read
Very sweet story about a girl who loves a tree and all the other people whose lives were touched by the tree in different ways.
Jess Brown
Tess is upset and frustrated when her favorite tree must be taken down (for safety reasons). She decides to hold a ceremony in memory of her tree where she meets others who had also loved the tree (a couple whose names were carved into it, for example). The only thing that really bothers me about the book is that they don't plant a new tree! It's not as though the spot was bad, just that the tree itself had died. I was really, really frustrated by this--shouldn't we be encouraging the cycle to c ...more
Anners
Dec 20, 2010 Anners rated it liked it
Children's illustrator-author extraordinaire Peter Reynold's has collaborated with author Jess Brallier for their most recent offering about celebrating the life of a tree that has been destroyed in a storm. Tess is devastated when the tree has to come down, but learns to stop despairing when she organizes a community gathering to commemorate the remarkable life of this venerable tree. I must say, however, I was surprised and mildly disappointed that Tess did not think to replant another tree in ...more
Rachael
Jul 30, 2011 Rachael rated it really liked it
When Tess's tree, the one she has always known and loved is cut down after a storm, she rages. The way she resolves the sadness and anger she feels is awe-inspiring. Illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds, the colors and emotions rise from the pages.

I read this on the way to work and when I arrived, I had to share it.

A story for anyone who has ever loved a tree (or a person) and had to go on without it.
Meg
Apr 17, 2012 Meg rated it really liked it
This story about a girl whose beloved backyard tree has to be cut down, weaves in themes of grief and loss, connection to the land, and coming together as a community. Spiritual, grounded, and sweet. My daughter loves it and wants to read it repeatedly. My only complaint is that, like other reviewers, I wondered why the ending didn't have her planting new trees.
Susan
Feb 04, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Of course I was anxious to read this with the name Tess in the title. It's such a sweet book about tree love. It made me verklempt every single time I read it - even choked Derrick up when he read it. SPOILER ALERT - would be a great introduction to the concept of a funeral.
Sam Bloom
Feb 27, 2010 Sam Bloom rated it liked it
Cute book about dealing with loss that suffers from several improbable and too convenient circumstances to hammer home its point. I still think the 10th Good Thing about Barney by Judith Viorst is the best book for children in terms of dealing with loss and grief.
Alice
Dec 26, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
This book has several great elements.
1st, love of a tree!!
2nd, could be a book about bereavement
3rd it could be a book about community.

I think it is about all three! Just a nicely illustrated, nicely worded book about a girl and her tree!!

Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
This is a sweet story about a little girl named Tess who's favorite tree has to be cut down. The beautiful illustrations by Peter H. Reynolds bring the story to life as Tess deals with her emotions and the loss of her beloved tree.
Heather
Dec 20, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is a story of love and loss and the circle of life of a tree. The illustrations are wonderful and we love the realistic emotions and the feeling of community. My 4 yo's favorite book right now.
babyhippoface
Sep 10, 2009 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Though it was dealing with the loss of a favorite tree and not a human being, I thought this was a very nice little book about how children cope with loss. I think school counselors might like it.
Dolly
Oct 23, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a story of love and loss and the circle of life. The illustrations are wonderful and we love the realistic emotions and the feeling of community. Such a terrific story!
Alissa
Feb 01, 2013 Alissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Tess loves her tree, but after a storm it has to be cut down. She holds a memorial service for her tree and finds out just how much a tree can mean to everyone.
Rachel
Feb 12, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok
Love the illustrations, but the text is to moralistic and to many impossible things happen without explanation which is out of place in this realistic context.
Maggi Rohde
May 20, 2015 Maggi Rohde rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2009
Catherine
Sep 28, 2012 Catherine rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Is it just me, or is Tess overindulged? Peter Reynolds' illustrations save the day.
Jaime
May 24, 2011 Jaime rated it really liked it
Pretty cute story. I like how they tie everything together in the story.
Bug
Jul 06, 2011 Bug rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I like the part where she has a funeral for the tree.
Marge
Mar 02, 2010 Marge added it
Shelves: picture-books
little girl sad to see a tree go - has a funeral
Hayley
Aug 09, 2012 Hayley rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet children's story. (:
Alshaimaa
Oct 30, 2009 Alshaimaa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
How does she handle her lost?
Deborah
Jun 03, 2010 Deborah rated it it was amazing
I love this book- so sweet!
Ruth

Lea
Lea rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Heather Warriner
Heather Warriner marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jess M. Brallier (born May 31, 1953) is a publisher, author, and web publisher. Brallier has authored or co-authored 31 books, including Lawyers and Other Reptiles. He is currently Publisher and General Manager of Family Education Network (a part of Pearson), an online publisher for: parents, teachers, and reference readers.

In 1992, Brallier founded the children’s publishing imprint, Planet Dexter
More about Jess M. Brallier...