Freudian Slip

Freudian Slip

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Everyone loves shock jock Julian Shaw...except the guy who shot him.

The raunchy radio DJ expects the dark tunnel, white lights--even his late grandmother greeting him at the pearly gates. Instead, he gets a coma, a spirit guide named Gus and a pushy demon with a deal. His assignment: Katie Darby.

Katie Darby's best friend just stole her guy Now she's losing her mind.

All...more
Published June 1st 2009 by HQN Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Freudian Slip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freudian Slip

Leslie
"No Spoilers!

This is an entertaining romp with the "ghost" of Shock-Jock DJ Julian Shaw (think Howard Stern, only cuter) playing guardian angel to a nice girl with a broken heart named Kate Darby. I must correct one thing from the book description: Jules isn't dead, he's in a coma & his spirit is in the Neither Here Nor There while his body fights to survive.

Katie is a likable heroine who is friendly to her neighbors, beloved of her coworkers, and a lover of dogs & her daddy. Jules (befo...more
Stephen Parrish
Katie Darby's life takes a turn that makes Murphy's Law seem auspicious by comparison. She catches her boyfriend, who happens to be her most important client, in bed with her best friend. At the same time, her home is ransacked and her beloved dog is missing. Higher Powers intervene and assign an angel, radio shock jock Julian Shaw, to help her cope. Julian is not only reluctant in his new role, he's barren of all human compassion and wholly unsuited to Katie's needs. But 24/7 exposure to her li...more
Barbara
I remember this book from when it first came out. The blurb did not appeal. But recently I read several glowing reviews and decided to give it a try(thank you library!). And I am so glad I did.
Shock jock DJ Julian Shaw may be handsome, but he is NOT a nice person. So it is no surprise when an irate listener shoots him. Julian is not killed outright, but falls into a coma. While in this coma, he is recruited by this mysterious figure named Gus who informs him that he is in a limbo state(cleverly...more
Andi
The only reason I finished this book was that I'm compelled to finish anything I've started. I can't pick up another book unless I've finished my current one.

I knew from the description that it was light-hearted fluff, but went along because it sounded fun. It wasn't a lot of fun, though, because the author spelled everything out for you. You'd think she'd use the possibilities offered by the presence of angels, demons and other in-betweeners to add some guesswork for the reader, so that you'd b...more
Evelyn Wilson
Loved this book, want to read more of this author's books !!!!
Sharon
Wasn't sure about this book at first, but I just went with it and I'm glad that I did. It was a lot of fun and very different. Albert Einstein plays a role as a "Neither Here Not There" Supervisor, ABBA music is used as the perfect cosmic scrambler, and God is a She. This is chock full of lighthearted fun.
The "hero" was my favorite character. Julian is totally bad- but highly amusing and perfect. Come to think of it, I could really use a raunchy, bad-ass, no holds barred evil angel on my side- w...more
Carolyn
Originally Read in February 2013. Original rating 3 stars. One of my requirements for a 4 star rating is that I would read it again and likewise for a 3 star, I would not. So since I read it again, 4 stars. It is one of those books that is both irreverent and spiritual, offensive yet still sweet. So to clarify, I really enjoyed the parts involving the main characters directly, and all the other behind the scenes stuff, not so much.
Parisa
Shae
Despite all of the god related stuff and the fact that I really dislike ghost/other side/heaven and hell books I couldn't help liking Freudian Slip. The characters were really fun and the ending was adorable. One problem I had with it was that for the first half of the book I pictured Jules as Howard Stern (because of his description) and Gus as Alan Rickman (a British agent of god reminded me of Metatron).
Aberforth
This book definitely is not the sort of book I generally like. Yet... I had a hard time putting it down. It was thought-provoking in a few ways. It was very religious, which is usually a big no for me but... Bits and pieces reminded me of Dogma. You know, if the movie were actually a romance novel. I was amazed at the humor the author was able to inject with so many serious subjects.
Heather Adkins
I heard a lot of good things about this author, so I was a little let down because I was expecting something more out of the writing. The story line was super cute and the characters just flawed enough for me to enjoy, so it was good, I'll read more of Orloff, but so-so.
Aerin
This book is a theological dream. It's brilliant that way. I recommend it be read by seminary students. Oh, and by shelving it on my "chicklit" and "romance" shelves, I mean: for "intelligent chicks who like sophisticated romance."
Marci
This is not the best written book on the planet, but it was a delightfully lovely light piece of reading that ended with a happily ever after. Perfect light reading for an endlessly hot summer day.
Yvonne
I came across this book by accident, but I was not disappointed. The characters complimented and brought out the best traits in each other.
Christina
This is one of those situations where it was a really wonderful book for its genre. This was a guilty pleasure book for me!
Lisa
Cloae to a 5 stars Very well done. Fun concept. Well executed. I liked all the spiritual references.
Joe
Humorous, uplifting romantic novel. I especially liked its concept of soul mates.
Cornélia
the idea was really interesting but the story itself was disappointing.
Allison
I really liked this book. Much more content than your typical chick lit.
Carolyn L
Wasn't impressed at all. Ended up just skimming thru .
Kate Sanderson
Very cute, light read - left me with a smile on my face :)
Jodotha
Very enjoyable. Characters I loved getting to know.
Melissa Wehunt
Freudian Slip by Erica Orloff (2009)
Lisacox
Lisacox marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Tea
Tea marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Victoria Powell
Victoria Powell marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
"Erica Orloff is a native New Yorker, novelist, blogger, mother of four, chronic insomniac, alt-rock loving, voracious reader (and prolific writer) who has written over twenty novels across a number of genres and pen names. She currently lives in Virginia where she rarely sleeps, roots for the Yankees and the NY Giants, knits in her almost-never free time, herds worms with her six-year-old Pirate...more
More about Erica Orloff...
Illuminated Mafia Chic Do They Wear High Heels In Heaven? Diary of a Blues Goddess Spanish Disco