Start by marking “The Time Traders” as Want to Read:
The Time Traders

Read Book* *Different edition

The Time Traders (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  3,563 Ratings  ·  238 Reviews
Andre Alice Norton was a 20th century American science fiction writer. She also wrote historical fiction and contemporary fiction. Andre Norton was her pseudonym. She was the first woman to receive the Gandalf Grand Master Award from the World Science Fiction Society in 1977. Norton was awarded the coveted Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award from the SFWA in 1983. In ...more
Published May 8th 2008 by Book Jungle (first published January 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Traders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Traders

Mimi
Jun 21, 2016 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mimi by: S&L
This book is fine for what it is--a fast-paced, time-travel pulp fiction. I'm not familiar with Andre Norton or 1950s sci-fi pulp, so I don't know if this is standard in the genre. To me, plot, characters, and narration are pretty straightforward, though there isn't much depth to them, and the social climate and politics of the time, mainly the Cold War, feature heavily in the plot.

The story overall didn't interest me. I found it rather bland actually. However, there was lots of action and somet
Rob
Executive Summary: I'm not a great gauge for Science Fiction, especially older works as I generally don't read and enjoy it as much as fantasy. There were elements here I liked, but not enough ever really get into the story. I considered giving this a 2.5 and rounding up, but opted to just stick to 2.

Full Review
Of all the science fiction tropes, time travel has always been one of my favorite. Back to the Future, Doctor Who, Looper, Primer, Terminator among others. You'll notice though that all
Carl
Aug 02, 2010 Carl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
To be honest, I didn't read the paperback, but the free digital book offered by Baen. Thank god for them!

I am tired of finding science fiction tailored for today's YA readers with disposable cash and love to be spoon-fed. Classic tales like this one from Andre Norton remind me why I fell in love with science fiction in the first place: stories take place on strange worlds and new technology is met with wonder, not suspicion.

Characters aren't as complex (read: deep) as many in today's best-seller
Melissa (ladybug)
Jul 10, 2012 Melissa (ladybug) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi lovers
I don't know how many times I have read this book, but it just gets better with time. It has been some years since last reading it, and I had forgotten the story line. I loved being able to read a book that was new but old at the same time. :D I love almost all the books that Andre Norton has written.
Stephen Richter
Jun 29, 2016 Stephen Richter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, s-l-bom
This was not the Andre Norton book I wanted to read. This book borrows from the past, not improving much on the Edgar Rice Burroughsliterary invent of a modern man in a pre-modern society (John Carter). This time instead of a magical cave, Norton uses a time travel plate. I hope this is not representative of Norton's style, rather writing for the literary market of the 1950s with its "go it alone" main protagonist against the "Reds"
Tim
Mar 11, 2015 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story lacks only interest and a good plot. 0 of 10 stars
AndrewP
A slightly revised edition of a book originally published back in the good old pulp days. The overall story had some good ideas and it's not bad, but unfortunately it follows a formula that gets old really quickly if you have read enough of them. It goes something like this:
Protagonist is thrown into an unusual situation.
Gets captured by tribe A, but then escapes.
Gets captured by tribe B but escapes again.
.. repeat several times ..
Is facing certain death from tribe C but is then rescued by an al
Dave Packard
I finished it.
Ken Doggett
This is a classic book by the classic Science Fiction and Fantasy writer, Andre Norton. This ebook consisted of the title story and its sequel, Galactic Derelict, the first written in 1958, the second in 1959, and both updated in 2000. In both, Norton comes off as a capable writer, but not an especially great one; I'm sure many of her fans would disagree on that point, so she probably wrote some great stuff later on. But here I encountered some awkward prose in places, and it was often hard to t ...more
Tim
Aug 01, 2013 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was one of my favorite science-fiction books when I was a kid. My brothers and I read it over and over. Of course, the cold war setting is now an anachronism, but for us it was everyday reality.

I loved the characters, I loved the story, I loved the imagery. When we were really exhausted from a long day outdoors, my brother James would say "The red jelly! We need the red jelly!" And of course we'd know exactly what he meant.

I haven't read it for years. I wonder how it would hold up.

P.S. I
Tsedai
Jun 27, 2016 Tsedai rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wayne McCoy
'The Time Traders' by Andre Norton is a time travel book. I'm usually a sucker for those sort of stories, but this one felt a bit too tied to the time it was written.

It's the Cold War, and the US and Russia have discovered time travel. The race is on to find out what the Russians are doing with it. Ross Murdock is recruited to be part of a team that goes back. After being trained, he is sent out with a small team posing as Beaker traders. From that point on, things go sideways, including things
Renee Babcock
A free download for Kindle of a classic novel. I knew nothing about this story but I certainly know of Norton and have read some of her work in the past. It's the story of a ne'er-do-well who os given a choice: jail or sign up for a secret mission. He chooses the later. And it turns out the secret mission involves time travel into the past to find out why the Russians have seemingly come upon new technologies they shouldn't have. Murdock is on his first mission into the past and he discovers the ...more
Jlawrence
Mostly bland Cold-War-infused time travel thriller/adventure with mediocre characters, mediocre writing and not too much exciting done with the science-fiction concepts. Even undoes the fun it could have had just as an action-y adventure via some lame "escapes". For instance, a tip for Russian time travel agents who want to kill an enemy agent: (view spoiler) ...more
Geoff
I'd compare this book to a Cold War-era version Time Salvager by Wesley Chu. Rather than agents time traveling to collect rare artifacts needed in a future society, it is to compete with the Russians, who are winning, in developing technology.

The book was entertaining at times but all plot developments were brought on from pretty much the same problem cropping up time after time (the problem omitted for spoiler reasons). And that gets boring when it happens the third time.

The free ebook versio
Ed [Redacted]
Dated and extremely YA, the first half was pretty boring and the second half picked up well, seemed like a couple of long short stories sewn together to make a novel. Norton has skill to be sure, I would like to read something more adult from her.
Chris
Nov 02, 2016 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay! I feel a bit like I'm back in an Edgar Rice Burroughs novel! Lovely pulp novels, huzzah! While I'm not a huge ERB fan, Andre Norton is (thus far) moderately more fun, and definitely less full of the racist and sexist norms of the period!

That's not to say that it's an amazing novel - in fact, I balked at reading it based on the title alone. It's not something that really jumps off the shelf at you, and I think it's a bit of a poorly-titled novel in general. Also: it's pulpy as hell - I don'
Casey
Jul 29, 2016 Casey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, time-travel, 1950s
I was definitely in the mood to read something light and quick, and The Time Traders fit this nicely. Baen has a free ebook version that also includes Galactic Derelict, which is the second book in the series.

Ross Murdock is a convicted criminal who is brought to a secret base and told he will be part of a special operation that involves traveling back in time. The Russians are plotting something back in the time of the Beaker people (somewhere around 2,000 BCE in Great Britain).

Ross is sent ba
Mar 19, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
In The Time Traders , Norton crafts a Cold War world in which both sides have discovered time travel. Somehow, the Russians have technology beyond their capabilities, and so it is Operation Retrograde's job to investigate. When Ross Murdock, ignorant of all of this, is given the option to either "volunteer" or be sent to a rehabilitation centre feared by all convicts, he choses the first one. Little does he know that the world as he knows it is about to be turned upside down... and backwords in ...more
Fredrik
When the petty criminal Ross Murdock stands is offered the choice between a prison sentence or volunteering for a secret government project, he takes the latter, and after some adjustment difficulties he becomes an inter-temporal spy and jumps back to the early bronze age to put a stop to Russian time-shenanigans. So the premise is "The cold war expanded into the fourth dimension." (The book was written i 1958, so very topical)

However, I did not much care for the the story. I appreciated the his
Thom Swennes
During the Cold War, writers used this subversive conflict as a base for literally thousands of novels. An archenemy was the ticket to the best seller list. The Time Traders combines science fiction with Cold War intrigue and takes the reader back to almost the beginning of time. Ross Murdock, as a young prisoner is offered a chance at redemption. If he joins a secrete program, his sentence will be commuted. Figuring that almost anything will be better than wasting away where he is, accepts and ...more
Lara
Jun 24, 2016 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Andre Norton was one of my favorite authors when I was growing up, but I hadn't read this book before. I'm not sure I would have if it hadn't been chosen for a group read as I'm not a fan of time travel stories. The protagonist is not a good guy at the beginning, but he gets involved in a covert mission that he finds is actually fascinating. Then he comes to realize that it's pretty dangerous as well. By that time he's pretty well sucked in to the excitement. And boy does he find excitement. It' ...more
Maria Kramer
I've read other books by Andre Norton and liked them fine, but this one just could not hook me. The protagonist has no personality to speak of, and neither do any of the supporting cast. (Was it the spirit of the age? A lot of the 60's and 70's scifi I've encountered is very spare in that regard.) Our cardboard renegade is in a top-secret training program, so you'd think there'd be some good training scenes right? Build the world, get to know the rivalries, how the characters relate to each othe ...more
Colin Forbes
Read as the July pick for The Sword and Laser.

Ironically, for a time travel story, I don't think this book has aged terribly well! Originally published in 1958, it's very short by modern standards and the plot is a bit simplistic.

Having said that, there were some interesting ideas in the set-up and the whole thing romps along quite readably. A slightly generous 3 stars - probably merits 2.5 if Goodreads allowed such things!
Tamsin
Only 2 stars as I think that my issues with this book were more to do with me rather than the story itself. I found that I just couldn't relate to any of the characters, the writing was shallow without as much depth or description as I would have liked. Story line was intriguing but I could not get to grips with the way that it was put across. Not my cup of tea.
Emily
Nov 13, 2015 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Slow at times, with undeveloped characters and one female we see briefly only twice. Definitely feels like two novellas put together, which it is. Still, not bad, and surprisingly doesn't show its age as badly as I expected.
Chris Gardner
Not a bad book. The writing was a bit light, but ok all in all. Younger readers would enjoy.[return][return]I can recommend this book.
Giselle Bradley
Nothing that blew me out of the water but I found it enjoyable and engaging. It definitely has its flaws but so does all older SF.
Paulo Vinicius Figueiredo dos Santos
Algumas resenhas são realmente difíceis de serem feitas. Isso porque em algumas oportunidades a leitura não nos agrada de alguma forma. Seja o texto que não bateu conosco ou os personagens que não eram tão interessantes. A leitura de The Time Traders foi assim para mim: a história não me convenceu, os personagens não eram marcantes e eu torcia para que tudo acabasse logo para que eu pudesse iniciar outra leitura.

A escrita da autora me lembrou muito um outro autor que eu li há alguns anos: Edgar
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
  • The Creatures of Man
  • The Forlorn
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
  • In the Heart of Darkness (Belisarius, #2)
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
  • The Colors of Space
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • Planetfall
  • Neptune Crossing (Chaos Chronicles, #1)
  • The Cross-Time Engineer (Conrad Stargard, #1)
  • Badge of Infamy
  • Med Ship (Med Service, #1-4)
  • Stars Over Stars (Heyoka Blackeagle, #2)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Time Traders/Ross Murdock, (8 books)
  • Galactic Derelict (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #2)
  • The Defiant Agents (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #3)
  • Key Out of Time (Time Traders / Ross Murdock #4)
  • Firehand (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #5)
  • Echoes in Time (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #6)
  • Atlantis Endgame (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #7)
  • Time Traders III: Echoes In Time / Atlantis Endgame

“A wise guy doesn't spill his ignorance. He uses his eyes and ears and keeps his trap shut—” 4 likes
“He discovered that lack of sight confuses the ear.” 1 likes