Start by marking “Prozac Diary Prozac Diary Prozac Diary” as Want to Read:
Prozac Diary Prozac Diary Prozac Diary

Prozac Diary Prozac Diary Prozac Diary

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  754 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The author of the acclaimed Welcome to My Country describes in this provocative and funny memoir the ups and downs of living on Prozac for ten years, and the strange adjustments she had to maketo living "normal life."
Today millions of people take Prozac, but Lauren Slater wasone of the first. In this rich and beautifully written memoir, she describes what it's like to spe
Unknown Binding, 0 pages
Published September 4th 2000 by Random House (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Prozac Diary Prozac Diary Prozac Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prozac Diary Prozac Diary Prozac Diary

Sara
at first, i loved this book. it was eloquent, poetic, and incredibly relatable to my life. the figurative language was nothing short of incredible; Lauren has a beautiful relationship with the english language. Also, as someone who has experienced a story terribly similar to Lauren's, the subject matter was intensely personal and valuable to me.

sadly, though, it reached a point where none of these things were enough to save it. there's only so much you can write about Prozac before it becomes re
Anita Dalton
I think this book was probably more interesting 12 years ago. I am a pharmacological refugee and on a personal level find tales like Slater’s interesting, but I can also tell you that unless you have tinkered with the chemicals in your brain, unless you have walked down this road, this mild, ethereal and at times random memoir may not have any resonance. As interested as I am in memoirs of people who struggle with mental illness and the drugs used to treat mental illness, there were times I foun ...more
aPriL eVoLvEs
Lauren Slater has apparently gone through hell, and I hope she continues to find things which help her. The few brief details about her mother and of her life which she reveals in this diary led me to think she may have severe brain chemical or wiring problems which may have been inherited. It's a good thing Prozac helps her, despite the side effects and its limitations at replacing what her body should be providing but does not.

However, the book did not give me what I want, either. It is perfec
Julia
I would have enjoyed this book much more if it were condensed into an essay about pharmacology and the human psyche. The author has a gift for metaphor and an intriguing philosophical curiosity, but her writing talents weren't enough to redeem the book. Too often, the meandering, flowery language harped on topics that didn't interest me in the least. This memoir fell flat because the author didn't build up her character enough for me to care about her struggle. She started at her lowest point, a ...more
Mimi chiang
Lauren Slater has absolutely beautiful phrases and prose. I read her writing as an eager novice writer hoping to absorb some of her talent. That said, this memoir is a great resource for the many who suffer from mental illness and/or are prescribed anti-depressants or any sort of medication for treating a psychological issue. I only wish I had known of this memoir when I was first prescribed prozac in 1984.

Ms. Slater manages to convey with wonderful beauty how debilitating mental illness is, bu
Jenny Yates
This small memoir is honest and gripping, as it tells the story of the writer’s relationship with Prozac. The illness itself is back story; she concentrates on what health means to someone who has been ill all her life. She is a very good writer, able to capture the shifts in perception as she experienced them. Her relationship with Prozac is not simple, not unmixed, but it is enduring, and she tells us the compromises she’s made, the losses she’s learned to live with, and the philosophical chan ...more
Ryan
Sep 18, 2007 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has experienced or known someone to experience the symptoms of depression
This memoir, spanning the ten-year experience of the author's experience of pharmaceutical treatment for depression reveals that coping with the illness is not just about wanting to be healthy, but more about falling out of love with not being healthy.
Nick Vescio-Franz
I enjoyed reading this memoir. It was very well written, and I felt I could relate to a lot of Slater's struggles with anxiety, which is why I was immediately sucked into the book. My only complaint is that at about the halfway point in the novel, the memoir seemed to lose focus. Instead of continuing to focus on her road to recovery, Slater starts going off on tangents related to her sex life and childhood. I think the book would've felt more complete had she kept a tighter focus. However, her ...more
Book Concierge
I couldn't stand this book. I only finished it because it was a book club selection.
Emily Crow
By her own admission, Slater was a hot mess before she started Prozac: multiple hospitalizations, suicide attempts, eating disorders, cutting behavior. At one point she talks about the eight different people inside her...she knew they weren't real, but still.

One of the first people to take Prozac, she has an almost miraculous response to it. (view spoiler)
Kirsten
Lauren Slater was one of the first people to take Prozac, and this book chronicles her experiences with the drug. Slater suffered from depression from an early age, and was hospitalized several times for anorexia, bulimia, and other illnesses related to her depression. At age 26, Prozac changed everything for her, allowing her to hold down a full-time job for the first time, and eventually to get her doctorate from Harvard in psychology. It wasn't without its trade-offs, however; Slater describe ...more
Stephanie
Gulped this down in a matter of hours.

I have a bit of an issue with Slater's style - she has a very poetic style, which doesn't always lend well to her choice of subjects. When she talks about her own history, as in this book, however, it works perfectly.

Sometimes it seems incredible that there was a time when Prozac was new, and no one knew what its effects were. I suppose in some respects, there's always an unknown with all drugs, but the unknown must have been huge for the first people who to
Emmylee
This book is a well written memoir/study of the effects of Prozac on the whole individual. Lauren Slater gives us an intimate and professional insight that explores the physical, psychological, sociological, and personal implications of this drug. If you've ever been curious about Prozac and its effects or the individuals who must rely on it this is a must-read. Also, it is an all-around Good Read!
Karen
I don't think my problem was with the book per se, but rather with the whole creative non-fiction genre (a sweeping generalisation maybe - I am open to dissuasion). Was I supposed to be learning stuff (which I did)? Following and sympathising with Slater's crappy pre-Prozac life (which was difficult, given the fleetingness of actual biographical detail)? Or simply savouring the poetic prose (which I occasionally did)?

I think her idiosyncratic way of chronicling her illness/dependence continuum m
kelly
As a person who has been diagnosed with clinical depression, this book really spoke to me. Some of the raw emotion and confusion that Slater while being on Prozac is completely genuine, and written in a beautiful poetic style. While i don't take Prozac for my depression (and a lot of the info seems more relevant to the earlier years of its use), the emotional ups and downs of being on meds are very much still the same today. Some readers may be disappointed that this book is more like a work of ...more
Tina Hernandez
I love Lauren Slater's general writing style, and I love psychology and neurology in general, too - so I have some bias here, but this book was amazing. Parts of it were so rich and so interesting that I had to mark them to re-read (several times over). I am generally somewhat anti-meds (when they're avoidable), but she really gives a person stuff to mull over. About reality, and personality, and love, and all sorts of fluid subjective concepts. I don't really like this cover or think it does a ...more
Megan
I saw this book in a different light than others because the story was real. These words were truly felt, instead of just being made up.
Lowrha
Slater's prose is poetry and reminds me of the importance of visualization. She journals her morning transformation so vividly that I felt like it was happening to me the next day.

A creative nonfiction enthusiast, I can never quite decide how much dramatization is acceptable in a memoir; she pushed my credulousness in some instances.

I tore through it in two days, and will read her other work. She has a beautiful and artistic take on her own psychology, and I hope her other books show the same tr
Rebeccah
Awesome memoir. Somewhat in the vein of Elizabeth Wurtzel's Prozac Nation, it picks up where Prozac Nation left off, with the beginning of treatment through Prozac. Rather than focusing on depression, Slater focuses on the experience of taking (and being 'cured' by) Prozac, and the experience of taking Prozac long term (ten plus years). Great read for anyone with any sort of interest in psychology, although it is also very easy to read for anyone who has minimal knowledge of the field.
LordofDorkness
This book is so fucking good it will get your mother pregnant. It is like a kind of unprofessional but nonetheless beautiful and inspiring oral love.

Honestly, I have read it. I found it completely by accident, and it was one of those things that maybe not immediately, but in the steady flow of its touching, brutal/beautiful language sentence by sentence gradually, and to its last words and uncertain conclusion, blew me away.

Read this shit yo. This Shit be mad fine.
Suzanne
This book was recommended to me by a client (I am a psychotherapist). The writing is amazing, and this woman's personal story, which she has had the courage to share, is painful, hopeful and genuine. I am glad to read that she was able to stop trying to commit suicide; she attributes this to Prozac. I feel that Prozac can also be detrimental in many many ways, and do not want people to get the idea that this drug will grant them mental health.
Emily
I zoomed through the first half of this book in a couple of hours. The second half of the book took me a week to finish because it started to lag halfway through and up until the last 20 pages or so. Very strong opening and voice, but then a slight change in point of view made me lose a little interest but all in all, I was glad to read about one's journey through a medication that so many take to sustain their lives.
Lucy Werner
I thought slater's excecution of real life in the prozac world was immense. Reading this book opened my eyes to the powerful sideaffects of the drug,how it effects your life and how long it take's you to get back on track after it has a hold on you. Some of the reactions and consequences remind me somewhat of a few friends of mine lol.

I encourage everyone to read it, It's pretty awesome!
Angela
I enjoyed this poetic memoir about the use of Prozac. The writer works as a memoirist, psychologist, and prose writer to give the reader an image of the existentialists questions which surround the need for a drug. Although, I felt that there was omission and pieces missing from the work at times, I thought it was well written and an interesting read with an original take.
Robyn
ugh I couldn't even get through the second chapter of this book. It read like a text book and I just could not get into it at all. I thought it would be in a Diary format, and it was not at all! When i flipped through the book, there were a few "diary entries" but it did not compile the entire book as the title would suggest.
Ellen Mcgrath
May 08, 2009 Ellen Mcgrath rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who care or use SSRI or who just like good sharp style
Amazing sentence style...bold, brave...Only weakness, slow to get started...and also heavily allusive to mother as source of psychological issues but mother remains ghostly, distant ...I'm not sure that works, even if that was the "aura" given off by the actual mother figure.

I would love to read more work by this writer.
Kate
Lauren Slater is a very good writer, the imagery she comes up with is often startling and sometimes beautiful. Her experience with Prozac is probably atypical in how much analysis she gives to it, but it still reinforces the idea that medicines hold a great deal of meaning beyond their mere chemical structure.
Iamada
My favorite thing about this book is the question it posed in my head....if one is used to living imbalanced, and they become "balanced" thru medication, are they really alive? If all of your experiences of living are on the polar edges, who is to say that "balance" should be the goal?
Karen
Hmmm... the advanced mental state sounds appealing until you hear what it does to the libido... then a tad of anxiety sounds acceptable after all! Seriously, a good read, very poetic, and the author's not afraid to use big words. Appreciated her honesty and intelligence.
Elisse
I really enjoyed this second book I've read by Lauren Slater. She has an interesting life journey and writes beautifully. As the parent of a young man who has been on Prozac a long time, I found her "insider's look" at Prozac informative and helpful.
  • Undercurrents: A Life Beneath the Surface
  • Inconsolable: How I Threw My Mental Health Out With the Diapers
  • A Mood Apart: The Thinker's Guide to Emotion and Its Disorders
  • Brilliant Madness: Living with Manic Depressive Illness
  • November of the Soul: The Enigma of Suicide
  • My Mother's Keeper: A Daughter's Memoir Of Growing Up In The Shadow Of Schizophrenia
  • Is There No Place on Earth for Me?
  • Blue Genes: A Memoir of Loss and Survival
  • Passing for Normal
Lauren Slater is a psychologist and writer. She is the author of numerous books, including Welcome To My Country, Lying: A Metaphorical Memoir, Opening Skinner’s Box, and Blue Beyond Blue, a collection of short stories. Slater’s most recent book is The $60,000 Dog: My Life With Animals.

Slater has been the recipient of numerous awards, amongst them a 2004 National Endowments for the Arts Award, and
More about Lauren Slater...
Opening Skinner's Box: Great Psychological Experiments of the Twentieth Century Lying: A Metaphorical Memoir Welcome to My Country The Best American Essays 2006 Love Works Like This: Moving from One Kind of Life to Another