Start by marking “The Late, Lamented Molly Marx” as Want to Read:
The Late, Lamented Molly Marx

The Late, Lamented Molly Marx

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,800 Ratings  ·  545 Reviews
BONUS: This edition contains a The Late, Lamented Molly Marx discussion guide and an excerpt from Sally Koslow's With Friends Like These.

The circumstances of Molly Marx’s death may be suspicious, but she hasn’t lost her sense of humor. Newly arrived in the hereafter, aka the Duration, Molly discovers that she can still keep tabs on those she left behind: Annabel, her belov
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Late, Lamented Molly Marx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Late, Lamented Molly Marx

Elizabeth
Nov 23, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women,Book clubs, Anyone that wants just a smidge more than just a lighthearted read
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Booking Mama (blog)
I was sure I was going to enjoy this book, figured it just to be fluffy ChickLit and end it at that.

It was more and I'm so glad.

The premise of this book is what hooked me. Molly is dead and she is looking over her life and trying to help her loved ones navigate their grief and the mystery of how she died.

Why not five stars? Well, because it is a lighthearted read and I'm trying to save 5 stars for those books that I just clutch to my chest and sigh deeply when I'm finished. You know the ones th
Alison
Jul 02, 2009 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wanted to be a fly on the wall while your friends and family, loved and loathed, talked about you and your possible murder? This is the adventure of Molly Marx. She allows us to join her from the fly on the wall perspective in the present, but also offers us glimpses into past scenes from her life as well. I was afraid this was going to be heart-wrenching like Lovely Bones, but it was nothing like it at all. Especially in regards to how the author deals with the scene of Molly's de ...more
Jeremy
May 28, 2009 Jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
When I found out that Goodreads gave away books through their First Reads program, I signed up for as many books as I could. When I won one of the first books that I was eligible, I couldn't believe my luck.

When the book arrived, and I saw the cover, I realized that it may not have been luck that helped me to win, but an attempt at gender equality. I think that I was probably the only male who registered to win it, so they didn't have any other option but to choose me. :)

This book was not writte
Flannery
Mar 16, 2011 Flannery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy chick lit mysteries
Molly Marx died, but she doesn't know how. She doesn't pass on, though--she is still on Earth, watching over her family, friends, and her young daughter. She starts at her funeral and then relives different memorable times from her past. From her objective standpoint, Molly is able to see the truth of her relationships and what kind of person she is. At the same time, police are attempting to figure out the circumstances surrounding Molly's death.

It was a little hard for me to relate to Molly wh
Kelly
May 06, 2012 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Occasionally, a book grabs your attention and holds it over you, daring you to go to sleep, clean your kitchen, do anything that takes you away from its riveting plot. This is not that book.

The Late, Lamented Molly Marx tells the story of a woman who died mysteriously in a bike accident (the details are fuzzy throughout), and her journey following her friends and relatives in the aftermath. The reader meets her philandering jerk of a husband, her perfectly perfect best friend, her beautiful daug
Karen
Nov 17, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler Alert!!!It was interesting that 'everyone' killed her. She killed herself by having an affair thereby leaving her self open to the 'actual' killer. Her husband by allowing the actual killer access to his family. Her lover by having the tenacity to contact her even after she wanted out of the relationship. Her mother -in -law by not being satisfied with her sons choice of a wife and introducing him to another woman. In any one of these characters had made a different choice she wouldn't h ...more
Original Doll (Lea Martinuš)
Molly Marks je mrtva.

No ovdje tek počinje njena avantura. Zapela u Trajanju te promatra ljude s kojima je bila povezana tijekom života: malenu kćerku, uspješnog ali nestašnog supruga, sestru blizanku, neugodnu svekrvu i – neodoljivog ljubavnika. Svi se oni na različite načine nose s gubitkom i prihvaćaju neminovne promjene koje su im poremetile živote a ona ne može učiniti baš ništa.

Također, pokušavaju saznati kako je Molly umrla – njeno je tijelo nađeno kraj rijeke te ne znaju je li bila ubijen
Nely
Apr 22, 2009 Nely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Molly Divine Marx is dead!

But that's just the beginning of this book. Molly is in her "Duration". Duration= being able to see your friends, family, etc. and hear their thoughts, yet not be able to do anything to contribute to what they're thinking, feeling, etc. (a little reminiscent of The Lovely Bones). With her guide "Bob" she is able to navigate through this new state of being and is able to flit from one person to another as they try to solve the mystery of her death.

The story starts at Mol
Lisa
Aug 13, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't pick this up, because I thought it would be like The Lovely Bones. While that's one of my favorite books, its difficult subject matter wasn't one I was in the mood for. But this is a lighthearted, chick lit version. Molly Marx starts out the book already dead, observing her funeral from the Duration. She's a great narrator and will reel you in from the first page. The story goes back and forth between Molly in the Duration and Molly's past - how she died, and then her life as it ...more
Michelle Sallay
Oct 09, 2015 Michelle Sallay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can only assume the reason I finished this book was because I didn't have a lot of extra reading time these past two weeks and I would only read a chapter at night so I was not able to fully realize that I was in the mind of the most annoying character of all time because the writing in the book was very good.

I HATED Molly Marx! What was even the point of this book? She was able to just sit up in heaven and remember what a lame life she led while missing her daughter? I really hated her. She
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
I thought this was a really fun book, and I breezed through it quickly. It is on the higher end of three stars.

I really enjoyed the premise. Molly Marx, mid-thirties (think Reese Witherspoon), wife to epitome of absentee husband, father, and workaholic doctor (think cute doctor-lead from Royal Pains), mother to an adorable four year old, twin to a dramatic time bomb (think Katherine Heigl), best friend to a glamorous lawyer (think CeCe from New Girl), lover to a sexy photographer (think Josh Duh
TJ
Oct 17, 2010 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another 3.5 that I have rounded up instead of down. The choice of which way to go seems to narrow down to how well written the book is. Those that, in spite of any problems I have with the story, are written well or have incorporated unique and creative themes or characters always rise to a 4. Those whose writing was just run of the mill or whose characters are nothing out of the ordinary, round down to a 3.

With this book, the writing, the character and situation were interesting and delightfull
Sara Strand
Somehow I have managed to snag, I kid you not, 5 books in the last month that have either a Jewish theme or a bunch of Jewish characters. Is this a sign? I'm not sure.
But this book was interesting. Best book ever? No. Good read? Sure. I can't remember where I heard of it, but I think it was from Jen Lancaster's summer reading list. But I can't be sure. All I know is that this was on my to-read post it note and I can now throw that note away. :)
Anyhoodle.
So this book is about Molly Marx who you l
Carol
Dec 02, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is chick lit at its finest. Descriptive, detailed, with a heart and soul. The author gave us a great plot - I will only give away what is in the title, Molly Marx is dead. But rather than a who dunnit, it's a who did me? The story is written primarily from Molly's perspective, as she watches the world go on without her. We also get to know her friends and family, see their lives and read their thoughts. There is plenty of time to see Molly alive, adorable, loving and imperfect, as well as M ...more
Kay Wright
Feb 15, 2010 Kay Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I use the library like a candy store and make lots of impulse purchases. Many are disappointing but once in awhile I find a gem like this one. I'd never heard of Sally Koslow (mcCall's editor) or this book but I fell in love with the main character immediately. Molly has just died when the book begins, leaving behind her husband and young daughter. There's some mystery about her death, was it an accident, was she murdered, did she go off the bike path intentionally. The mysterious circumstances ...more
Oct 03, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Molly Divine Marx has departed her life and has become an observer. She has a finely tuned BS meter and uses it on the ones she loves and the person in charge of figuring out just what happened to her. Did she commit suicide? Did someone murder her? Was she run of the road on purpose while bike riding?

I thought this book was ok. Molly was interesting at first, spying on her former life, trying to bring comfort from the after life to her daughter and best friend. But after a while it was a little
Beth
I stopped reading this book halfway through because I became bored with it. First off, I have to say that the author is HILARIOUS! The way she cleverly weaves together sentences shows real talent, especially how she does it right in a dramatic moment. I laughed out loud many times, especially at the beginning of the book. However, I found that she didn't capture my attention with the way she told the story. I found myself not really caring to know how the main character died because I wasn't rea ...more
Kayla
Nov 05, 2012 Kayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm a sucker for books where the protagonist is dead but still trying to find their way. I'm not sure what this says about me. I am also a fan of the big reveal in a murder mystery, thus justifying the fact that I'm going to function on 3 cylinders the next day, having stayed up to find out that very thing. I'm still not completely sure I got the definitive answer to that in Molly Marx.

This book is a quick read and I enjoyed the name of the afterlife...the duration.....and the dead people were q
Krystal
May 15, 2009 Krystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
To begin, I really had my doubts about how much I could enjoy reading a book that followed a woman, Molly, from the moment of death. It's a bit depressing, to always realize you know the end, especially when you fall in love with that character, which is exactly what happened. I loved the character of Molly, and though it was sad to realize I knew the tragic end of Molly from the get go, I simply could not stop reading the book. I can't recall ever reading a book where the back drop is some form ...more
Janssen
Jun 14, 2016 Janssen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, 2016
This was recommended because I liked What Alice Forgot, but this didn't charm me nearly as much. Frankly, it kind of depressed me and I found the ending highly unsatisfying.
Courtney Messenbaugh
This book received a generous write-up in every woman's mag I picked up last month so I decided I had better read it. Well, the book obviously has a publicist with great contacts b/c while it's conceptually a clever book, it's not that well written, a bit too trite and obvious in sequence and not that it matters that much, but I found several typos in my hardback edition. Proceed to read with caution...it's only relatively enjoyable, but it is a quick summer read so if that's all you have the ba ...more
Sandra Grauschopf
I had to give some serious thought about whether to rate this book three stars (average) or two (below average), and I'm still not sure that three was the correct choice.

The way I see this book developing is that the author wrote a run-of-the-mill romance novel, which was rejected by ten million publishers for having absolutely nothing innovative about it.

So then she came up with a gimmick -- the narrator is actually dead! -- threw in some mawkish goop at the end, and got it sold.

To me, the "my
Josh
May 16, 2009 Josh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book was not my kind of book. I'm sure that there are readers out there that will enjoy it, but I was not that person.

I don't care much for books about unhappy couples having affairs. I wasn't drawn into the mystery aspect of the novel either. It just wasn't a book that I could relate to or one that I felt that I would learn something from.

It was well written and had the subject matter of Molly's life been different I would have enjoyed it more.
Linda
Jun 23, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is narrated by pretty, young Molly Marx who died or was murdered at the age of 35. She is now in "Duration", a place you are after death which allows you to visit your family and friends. You can hear what they say, see what they do, know what they are thinking and feeling but you can't let them know of your presence. You are in "Duration" for a certain amount of time and then you move on. This book is both humorous and sad. I enjoyed it very much.
Emily
Oct 15, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
This book was a mixture of Susan Isaacs (I love her humor) and the Lovely Bones. The protagonist of the story is the dearly departed.

The story is part mystery, what happened to Molly, and part human relationships; both Molly's with the people that she left behind and their relationships as they move forward with their lives.

This is a very good book and I am looking forward to my book club's discussion of this one.
Anne
Aug 01, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting take on life after death with a mystery to boot. I really liked the main character, Molly Marx, even if she's dead! She narrates the story of her life and death from the grave, which is called the duration. In death she has the ability to not only see current events but to hear people's thoughts as they happen. Very funny in spots, and moving in others. A good read.
Anika
Jan 29, 2009 Anika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me just say that the main reason I rated this novel 2 stars is personal preference. Molly Marx, the main character, is dead and is looking back on her life. Her life includes a three-year-old daughter and, as a mother of a little daughter, I just couldn't handle the sadness of that idea.
All that said, it was a fine book in general. Mommy lit meets murder mystery.
Kourtney
I want to like Sally Koslow's books. But there is something in them that is just lacking for me. I think it is the way that she tends to go on describing something that does not enhance the story. At least that was the case with The Late Lamented Molly Marx. The only thing that kept me engaged to this story was the who-dun-it drama. Koslow is just not for me.
Jenna
Jul 07, 2009 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a while to read, but not because it wasn't interesting. In fact, once I finally sat down and started reading it I breezed through it in an evening. A fun, easy read that keeps you wondering who killed Molly Marx
Lindsey
Oct 06, 2009 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT!!! Although I was a little disappointed with the ending--who killed her damnit?!? You have to be obvious and spell it out none of this artsy crap where I have to do a lot of inferring.
  • Mercury in Retrograde
  • The Widow's Season
  • Fat Chance (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery, #3)
  • Waxed
  • Family Affair
  • Easy on the Eyes
  • Swimming in the Steno Pool: A Retro Guide to Making It in the Office
  • Hedge Fund Wives

“If you get to live your life over, make the same mistakes -- only sooner.” 3 likes
“Festering with regret changes not one thing.” 2 likes