James Herriot's Yorkshire

James Herriot's Yorkshire

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  412 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Here is James Herriot's best-selling personal tour through the beautiful, almost magical land of All Creatures Great and Small and his new volume of memoirs, Every Living Thing. The gorgeous northern English countryside, depicted so memorably in James Herriot's internationally adored books, jumps to life here in more than two hundred full-color photographs that reveal the...more
Published March 15th 1981 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1979)

Jason Koivu
If all of All Creatures Great and Small and Every Living Thing is not enough for you, in essence, if you are a James Herriot junky, I've got just the book for you!

James Herriot's Yorkshire: A Guided Tour Through the Beloved Land of All Creatures Great and Small is what you want! Herein the author of all those wondrously delightful tales about the life of a country vet in (approximately) 1940s Yorkshire, England takes his fans on a walkabout tour of the Dales where he once practiced.

This is an o...more
Allie
This beautifully-photographed book prompted me to spent a week discovering Yorkshire about twenty years ago. The book came with me. Yorkshire was even more beautiful than the book had promised: rolling dales, becks, sheep everywhere, wild moors, cobbled market towns, wonderful food and drink. Our brakes failed on a steep hill and we were forced to take refuge in a pub in a tiny village for hours while the mechanic fixed our car; that was how we found the best beer in Yorkshire and the best sandw...more
Jessica Moore
If you loved this series the way that I do ( I even have the entire DVD set of the BBC series) this book is awesome. As it shows some of the areas that Mr. Herriot talks about in the series. What a terrific man who led a terrifically wonderful life!
Jim
A short tour through the actual countryside the beloved vet traveled with some explanations on how he changed things for his stories. Pictures are included & not bad. It is beautiful countryside.
Ron
Just the thing for a walking tour of the Yorkshire Dales. I've actually driven through there. That part hadn't changed much after several decades.
Loraine
Five stars for all sorts of reasons, not least of all nostalgia. One of my grandmothers loved the PBS series All Creatures Great and Small; she always made time for the weekly episode, and would say, without fail, "Mr. Herriot knows what it's really like to be a farmer." (All four of my grandparents were born at the tail end of the 19th century, and they were farmers--so my grandmother's words were high praise, indeed!) I, too, loved the series, and have enjoyed rerun after rerun. The Yorkshires...more
Charese
If you seek out this book, get an edition with color photographs, which are glorious. My first copy had only black-and-white photos--and those looked unfocused--which couldn't do justice to the gorgeous Yorkshire scenery. Later I found a full-color edition, printed on much better quality paper, before my own trip to Yorkshire. Herriot's writing makes me feel like I'm there in person; the beautiful color photographs make the experience even more vivid.
Shenek
A book to be read in bits and snatches. The photographs and memories give a sense of serenity and calm to your own life.

I first picked up the book before I had kids and tried to read it in one or two sittings. I only made it through a third of the book before I put it away...where was the excitement? Now when a moment or two is all I seem to have it was the perfect book. Someday I would love to visit Yorkshire.
Jacquelin
A charming and heartwarming read. Even if you're not an animal lover as I am, you'll find Herriot's words take you right to the countryside of Yorkshire filled with zany and memorable characters. This book is just as much a loving tribute to the animals Herriot tends to as a veterinarian as the people who own them.
David Ward
James Herriot's Yorkshire: A Guided Tour Through the Beloved Land of All Creatures Great and Small (by James Herriot (Bantam 1987)(914.28). James Herriot walks us through the land where he lived and that he loved so well. My rating: 7/10, finished 1988.
Sharon Miller
I received this book as a Christmas present a very long time ago, and I loved pouring through the gorgeous pictures and being lead on by the warm, witty, infinitely humane voice of the author. I still want to go!
Rachel Rogers
This was read aloud to me while I was pregnant and had me dreaming about beautiful countryside. His descriptions of the people and places he worked are absolutely charming, breathtaking and hysterical by turns.
Gabriele Wills
I love James Herriot's books and his beautifully depicted Yorkshire so much that I did a pilgrimage in 1995, just missing meeting him by a few months. (He had just died.) But Yorkshire didn't disappoint!
Terri
Beautiful photographs and prose mixed with a few stories here and there. I've greatly enjoyed reading this book and seeing the Yorkshire territory where Herriot's books are based.
Lesley
I loved it , Warm down to earth family values you feel like you have gone back into the 1930s 40s 50s and you have gone to see some very dear friends in time.
Mathias Seiwert
Fantastic guided and photographed tour of Yorkshire by James Herriot (Alfred Wight)–the real locations, farms, etc. where he served as an animal vet for fifty years.
Jose

Nice to see images from all the James Herriot stories.

Due to the book's issue date, I doubt very much that the images correspond to today's reality.
Staci
A beautiful book of photos and stories, and a perfect accompaniment to the tv series "All Creatures Great and Small", which I'm currently watching on Netflix.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
I enjoyed seeing pictures of the places that feature so prominently in Herriot's books, but his writing just wasn't as enjoyable in this one.
Claudia
Nov 12, 2013 Claudia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Diana
very nice coffee table book showing the parts of the Yorkshire dales in the All Creatures Great and Small series.
Chris
Even though this is a "travel" book, there
were some fun tidbits that are not found in
his other books.
Judy
Sep 14, 2009 Judy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Judy by: Mike McGraw
Beautiful picture book and guided tour of Yorkshire by James Herriot, the famous veterinarian/author.
Bree
Notes:
a beautiful visual addition to the herriot book series
yorkshire is breathtaking just like he says
I love this book soooooo much!!! I love the awesome pictures! I'm gonna live there when I grow up. :)
Lorraine
A beautiful book - certainly makes you want to travel to Yorkshire and see it for yourself.
Mike (the Paladin)
I loved (love) all the Herriot books. Just a chance to spend more time in that world.
Wyntrnoire
Read again yesterday and liked it just as much.
Tina Langston
Enjoyable, but not as enchanting as his series
Jeannie
Great reading for anyone.
  • Lives of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence
  • Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons: A Journey to the Flora and Fauna of a Unique Island
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • The Divine Hours: Prayers for Springtime
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders (National Audubon Society Field Guides)
  • Marriage to a Difficult Man: The Uncommon Union of Jonathan & Sarah Edwards
  • Spycatcher: The Candid Autobiography of a Senior Intelligence Officer
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • Dogs Never Lie About Love: Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs
  • Thread that Runs so True
  • Traitor: The Case of Benedict Arnold
  • The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady
  • Rocks and Minerals
  • The Curate's Awakening
  • Great Britain (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Abandon Ship!: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the Navy's Greatest Sea Disaster
  • A Man Called Intrepid
  • The Avatar
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow...more
More about James Herriot...
All Creatures Great and Small All Things Bright and Beautiful All Things Wise and Wonderful The Lord God Made Them All All Creatures Great and Small/All Things Bright and Beautiful