Start by marking “Dear Vampa” as Want to Read:
Dear Vampa

Dear Vampa

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  53 reviews
The Pires are cursed with new neighbors. Things were just fine on Nostfer Avenue until the Wolfsons arrived. There seems to be no end to the new family's strange rituals. They stay up all day long, lock their windows at night, and bathe—in sunshine. What's a nice vampire family to do?

Ross Collins has created an ironic, laugh-out-loud story that invites you to think about a
Published August 25th 2009 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Dear Vampa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Vampa

Scottsdale Public Library
Good neighbors are hard to find! This short picture book chronicles the troubles the Pires, a family of vampires, have with their new neighbors. This clever picture book with a surprise ending is a great pick to share with your little monsters at Halloween. -Erin J.
Andi
A fun little picture book. The illustrations really put this one over the top. The vampire family's black, white, and red illustrations are just gorgeous, and the "normal" family's illustrations are lovely and bright and fun in contrast. Good stuff. Going on my keeper pile.
Kara
I absolutely loved the dark humor in this book! The pictures and text work together to make this a fun reading experience,and it's great choice to read out loud during story time.
Koorihime-sama
CHECKED OUT THE BOOK FROM MY PUBLIC LIBRARY.

APART OF THE GOODREADS 2011 READING CHALLENGE.

Review/Rating:

4 out of 5

Ease of Reading Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Plot: 5 out of 5

It’s hard to find good neighbors. Though, when the Pires get the Wolfsons as new neighbors, they discover they are as different as day and night. They think the Wolfsons have strange rituals — staying up all day, liking sunshine, and other non-nocturnal activities. What does this Vampire family do in response to
Simone
Author: Ross Collins
Publisher and Date: Katherine Tegan Books, 2009

Summary: Bram, a young vampire, write a letter to his Grandfather about his new neighbors the Wolfsons. The Pire family are not fond of their new neighbors and find them to be quite odd. Perhaps the new neighbors are not as different as Bram suggests they are.

Review: Using supernatural elements of vampires, sleeping in coffins, avoiding daylight and having a monster for a pet, Ross Collins shares a story that is not that far of
Brandy
I love Ross Collins's humor and illustrations - I checked this one out for me to read and I will be adding it to our permanent collection. :)
Bailey Hauge
This was a great Halloween book. I read it three times. I liked the surprise ending.
Cassie
Having new neighbors move in can be an exciting time, and also absolutely terrible if those new neighbors are the complete opposite of your family. Little Bram is writing to his grandpa explaining just what a horrible time they are having getting used to the new people next door. They like sunlight, and flowers, and stay up all day long. The Pires have had it and decide to move back to Transylvania. If they had only waited a bit longer to discover just how much they really do have in common with ...more
Steffen Minner
Surprising ending with an awesome illustration
Caitlin Sabers
A funny and entertaining tale of a vampire family with werewolves as new neighbors, this book is written from a child vampire complaining in letters to his grandfather, Vampa. The two families are very opposite. The werewolves are awake all day, making too much noise for the poor vampires who want to sleep so they can be up all night. Kids love the story and giggle throughout this great read-aloud. This is also really cute to read around Halloween, but connections could be made throughout the ye ...more
Sarah Souther
Young Bram Pire writes a letter to his Vampa describing the family's troubles with their new neighbors, the Wolfsons. The skinny, black-and-white Pires don't get their vivacious sunbathing neighbors and eventually leave. Too bad. As the full moon comes out, we see that the Pires and the Wolfsons probably would have found they had a lot in common. Younger kids won't get all the visual jokes and vampire/werewolf references, but they'll still have fun. Kindergarten - 2nd grade.
Marike
Dear Vampa by Ross Collins

Of course the story uses the current fad with vampires! The story is told in a letter form – little Bram Pire is writing his grandfather a letter about their new neighbours (the Wolfsons). Of course being a vampire is taken for granted, not explained at all – the text is without any supernatural references, we see the Pire family in black and white and the neighbours in colour…
Light fun.
Youth Services
In this hilarious letter of a picture book, a boy vampire writes to his "Vampa" back in Transylvannia about their new neighbors and how the Pire Family will be moving away because of them. Keep reading for the very funny punchline of the book, while enjoying the little jokes and misunderstandings along the way.

Lisle Library Call #: E COL
Anne

A young vampire boy writes a letter to his grandpa about the awful new neighbors who have moved in next door. They like the sun, they stay up all day long, and have all sorts of other weird habits...

A fun read, great illustrations, plus a moral to the story about accepting people who are different from you.
Rakisha
Shanshad Whelan
Cute and great artwork, but this is definitely a book for older kids who already are familiar with the mythology of vampires. Funny though. I have to say I enjoyed the variation with the Addams-like illustrations in black and white juxtaposed with more colorful/cartoonish sort of drawing.
Elizabeth
This was such a funny book. The illustrations were wonderful and I liked how the story was told in a letter. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 there acceptance of others doesn't truly happen in the end. The humor is more suited for older children; toddlers might not understand the humor.
Library Quine
An unusual story written in letter form from a vampire child to his vampire grandmother about their troublesome supposedly 'normal' neighbours. It claims to be about accepting others, but somehow fails, as the vampire family move away instead.
Scottish Book Trust awards (0 - 7 years) - 2011
Samantha Hastings
A funny picture book that will be enjoyed by old children. A vampire family has new "live" neighbors and compares the two families. Quite clever, but I wouldn't use for a storytime becausae most younger kids wouldn't kit the humor.
S
Funny, concise, great art.
Meghan
Jan 21, 2010 Meghan added it
Shelves: picture
I loved the illustrations and letter to "Vampa" format. I'm not sure if readers will find it as funny as adults. I'll have to test it out on one of my kiddie guinea pigs...
Tom Franklin
a fine example of how a fresh take on a subject and extremely well-done drawings can take a short story (with a predictable ending) and make it enjoyable and memorable.
Jolene
Dec 04, 2009 Jolene rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pre-1st graders.
Dear Vampa written and illustrated by Ross Collins. A cute story about a family of vampires who must deal with their new sunshine/day loving neighbors.
jessica wilson
delightful! predictable yes but it's a picture book about your average everyday-run-of-the-mill-vampire-family, what else do you expect?
Natalie
A vampire family clashes with their new neighbors

"They have a bizarre fondness for sunshine. Mom says it's disgusting."
*Queen Diva*
Really cute story! I even chuckled at the end! I enjoyed the illustrations and the story was adorable.
Jen H.
I can see girls and boys loving this book. Diary/letter style writing with vampires and werewolves.
Burbank Library Children's Department
A silly, fun picture book about what happens when "normal" family, The Wolfsons, moves in next to the Pires.
Ash
I loved the illustrations, especially the Pires's house. The story was wonderful; very original.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Spells
  • Dinosaur vs. the Library
  • The Purple Kangaroo
  • The Boy Who Cried Ninja
Ross was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1972.
He would eat anything and resembled a currant bun.

As he grew up he was fond of drawing, the Bionic Man and precariously swinging backwards on chairs.

He graduated from the Glasgow School of Art in 1994 with a First in Illustration. In the same year he won the MacMillan Children's Book Prize an achievement that opened many doors in the Big Smoke.

Ross then s
More about Ross Collins...
Doodleday Medusa Jones Alvie Eats Soup Germs The Elephantom