Soledades

Soledades

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Las Soledades es un poema de Luis de Góngora, compuesto en 1613 en silvas de versos endecasílabos y heptasílabos.

El poema nació como un proyecto dividido en cuatro partes que iban a llamarse «Soledad de los campos», «Soledad de las riberas», «Soledad de las selvas» y «Soledad del yermo». De este ambicioso poema, Góngora sólo concluyó la «dedicatoria al Duque de Béjar» y la...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Ediciones Catedra S.A. (first published 1613)

To ask other readers questions about Soledades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soledades

Greg
In the Introduction, Alberto Manguel says that the “Solitudes is a poem ‘about’ nature, but the natural world in this work does not serve as the backdrop for a highly expressive love poem or spiritual meditation. It is there to be evoked for its own sake in the most rarefied, figurative, sensuous language because language itself, not its emotive referent or expressive content, is the intrinsic aesthetic component of poetry.” I could not do a better job summarizing this brilliant, obscure, and di...more
Emusam
Let me start off by saying that well before finishing even the first Soledad (there are two), I knew I would have to go back and re-read these poems (which I intend to do).

John Beverley's introduction and footnotes are incredibly helpful, and sometimes nearly fill up entire pages. Good job, Catedra. Also, the inclusion of a back-and-forth between a critic and Gongora is wonderful because we get an idea of how the poet viewed his own writing.

I feel like I spent so much time trying to unravel thes...more
Edward Butler
At times dazzling, at times simply obscure, Góngora's bracing fragment is apt to remind us just how dizzying modernity was at its inception. There is so much archaism here that it is stupefying to discover that Góngora's moment feels at the same time as though, indefinitely prolonged, we are still in its midst.

This is definitely the translation to read; I tried Wilson's first, and it was impossible. I subsequently compared the present translation with another recent one, by John Dent-Young, and...more
Tiago Loureiro
Um dos 5 melhores livros da Humanidade. Recomendo!
Dusty
Feb 08, 2011 Dusty rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dusty by: Cesar Salgado
Won't pretend I read this whole poem, start to finish -- but I did give it the old "college" try. I was certainly thankful for Dámaso Alonso's explanatory introduction and prose translation, even if his is just one of so very many possible interpretations of Góngora's so-called masterpiece.
Francisco
Poema difícil donde los haya. Recomiendo esta versión, muy "limpia" de aparato crítico: la edición de Castalia supera las 1000 páginas para un conjunto que supera en poco los 2000 versos.
Hburke727
Great metaphorical reflections coupled with an infusing of the quotidian world with mythological reference. There's some great lines about owls too!!
Zargoht
Zargoht marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Valentina Olivo valverde
Valentina Olivo valverde marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Agustín
Agustín is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
g0ldenboy
g0ldenboy marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Eilish
Eilish marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Alex Pijanowski
Alex Pijanowski marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Itai Farhi
Itai Farhi marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
  • Coplas a la muerte de su padre
  • The Poems of St. John of the Cross
  • El Alcalde de Zalamea
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Writings
  • Poema de Mío Cid
  • Exemplary Stories (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Brief Lives
  • El Caballero de Olmedo
  • Idylls
  • Poet in New York
  • Antipoems: How to Look Better and Feel Great
Luis de Góngora y Argote (11 July 1561 – 24 May 1627) was a Spanish Baroque lyric poet. Góngora and his lifelong rival, Francisco de Quevedo, are widely considered to be the most prominent Spanish poets of their age. His style is characterized by what was called culteranismo, also known as Gongorism (Gongorismo). This style existed in stark contrast to Quevedo's Conceptismo.
More about Luis de Góngora...
Fábula de Polifemo y Galatea Antología poética Obras poeticas de d. Luis de Gongora. Sonetos Completos Poemas de Gngora