Start by marking “Soledades” as Want to Read:
Soledades

Soledades

Las Soledades es un poema de Luis de Góngora, compuesto en 1613 en silvas de versos endecasílabos y heptasílabos.

El poema nació como un proyecto dividido en cuatro partes que iban a llamarse «Soledad de los campos», «Soledad de las riberas», «Soledad de las selvas» y «Soledad del yermo». De este ambicioso poema, Góngora sólo concluyó la «dedicatoria al Duque de Béjar» y la
Published January 1st 2004 by Ediciones Catedra S.A. (first published 1613)

To ask other readers questions about Soledades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soledades

Anna
Mar 18, 2017 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across ‘The Solitudes’ by searching the library catalogue for books by Alberto Manguel, my favourite non-fiction author. He wrote the introduction to this edition and I trust his taste, so decided to read a 17th century poem I’d never heard of. It was a good decision, as ‘The Solitudes’ is an extraordinary experience. Given the length, I expected a narrative poem, however there is no story to be found here. Instead, the reader finds an absolute plethora of sensuous description as a shipwr ...more
vi macdonald
There's a reason the Generation of '27 put Luis de Góngora on the pedestal they did: he is without a doubt one of the greatest poets of all time and is a monolithic figure in the cultural narrative of Spain - and is an imposing and powerfully influential pillar of modern western poetry and literature.

His Solitudes stands as his artistic will and testament.
Edward Butler
Jun 16, 2012 Edward Butler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At times dazzling, at times simply obscure, Góngora's bracing fragment is apt to remind us just how dizzying modernity was at its inception. There is so much archaism here that it is stupefying to discover that Góngora's moment feels at the same time as though, indefinitely prolonged, we are still in its midst.

This is definitely the translation to read; I tried Wilson's first, and it was impossible. I subsequently compared the present translation with another recent one, by John Dent-Young, and
Jessica
May 29, 2017 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t immediately won over – I had to parse Gongora’s hypertrophic style first, then justify it – but I’ve come to admire what is a phenomenal achievement in verse. I do justice to Gongora’s intentions when I say that it took five rounds to understand a verse paragraph and another five to appreciate it: The Solitudes were designed to be difficult at a moment when (decorous) rhetorical obscurity and conceited poetics were in vogue. That the syntactic experimentation – marked by flagrant and so ...more
Jason Perlman
Probably a little over-ambitious for my first book-length poem in Spanish. But Edith Grossman's facing translation is a masterful lifeline.
Greg
Dec 09, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Introduction, Alberto Manguel says that the “Solitudes is a poem ‘about’ nature, but the natural world in this work does not serve as the backdrop for a highly expressive love poem or spiritual meditation. It is there to be evoked for its own sake in the most rarefied, figurative, sensuous language because language itself, not its emotive referent or expressive content, is the intrinsic aesthetic component of poetry.” I could not do a better job summarizing this brilliant, obscure, and di ...more
Sam
Aug 23, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, fun-lit, spanish
Let me start off by saying that well before finishing even the first Soledad (there are two), I knew I would have to go back and re-read these poems (which I intend to do).

John Beverley's introduction and footnotes are incredibly helpful, and sometimes nearly fill up entire pages. Good job, Catedra. Also, the inclusion of a back-and-forth between a critic and Gongora is wonderful because we get an idea of how the poet viewed his own writing.

I feel like I spent so much time trying to unravel thes
Danny
Mar 26, 2016 Danny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely difficult yet marvelous poem that rewards multiple re-readings. The poem's hyper-baroque syntax forces you to process its imagery in such a way that, in order to understand Gongora's meaning, you have to engage with his language in extremely unusual ways. Ultimately, Gongora's syntax performs the process of poetic perception itself in all its chaotic excitement, and in doing so transforms his readers into visionary poets, exulted yet burdened with poetic inspiration and imagery.
Mariana Romo-Carmona
Las soledades y el Polifemo, además de su poema, Canción VI, ("Qué de invidiosos montes levantados...") fueron el tema de mi ensayo sobre Góngora. Adoro muchos de sus sonetos. Creo que estos tres textos son mis favoritos... Opinión de crítica no-medievalista ni erudita - Góngora gana este round, a ver si para otro estudio con la Dra. Lía Schwartz me convence más Quevedo.
Dusty
Feb 01, 2011 Dusty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dusty by: Cesar Salgado
Shelves: partial-reads
Won't pretend I read this whole poem, start to finish -- but I did give it the old "college" try. I was certainly thankful for Dámaso Alonso's explanatory introduction and prose translation, even if his is just one of so very many possible interpretations of Góngora's so-called masterpiece.
Owen
Apr 26, 2016 Owen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although at times his phrasings and descriptions were a little dense, still Góngora wrote beautiful poetry. His allusions to mythology, his descriptions of pastoral life and seaside scenes, they spoke to me. The spurned lover at the wedding… I wish that he had finished.
Richard Dalton
Mar 05, 2015 Richard Dalton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gongora is nuts in a good way
Hburke727
Jun 19, 2012 Hburke727 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great metaphorical reflections coupled with an infusing of the quotidian world with mythological reference. There's some great lines about owls too!!
Regitze
Sometimes you have to read the most boring texts for classes and this was one of them.
Francisco
Feb 04, 2007 Francisco rated it it was amazing
Poema difícil donde los haya. Recomiendo esta versión, muy "limpia" de aparato crítico: la edición de Castalia supera las 1000 páginas para un conjunto que supera en poco los 2000 versos.
Ian Nazarehth
Ian Nazarehth rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Нина Иванова
Нина Иванова rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Alephz
Alephz rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Victor Cioban
Victor Cioban rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2015
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2013
Ángel
Ángel rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2012
Diana Enma
Diana Enma rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Estanislao M.
Estanislao M. rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Mike Brecon
Mike Brecon rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2011
Ele
Ele rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015
ANNA   MAY    L.    GAKO
ANNA MAY L. GAKO rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Carolina
Carolina rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2012
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Poems of St John of the Cross
  • Coplas a la muerte de su padre
  • Libro de Buen Amor
  • Los pazos de Ulloa
  • El caballero de Olmedo
  • Volpone and Other Plays
  • Exemplary Stories
  • Orlando Innamorato (Orlando in Love)
  • El cuarto de atrás
  • Brief Lives
  • El alcalde de Zalamea
Luis de Góngora y Argote (11 July 1561 – 24 May 1627) was a Spanish Baroque lyric poet. Góngora and his lifelong rival, Francisco de Quevedo, are widely considered to be the most prominent Spanish poets of their age. His style is characterized by what was called culteranismo, also known as Gongorism (Gongorismo). This style existed in stark contrast to Quevedo's Conceptismo.
More about Luis de Góngora...

“«Aquellas que los árboles apenas Dejan ser torres hoy -dijo el cabrero Con muestras de dolor extraordinarias- Las estrellas nocturnas luminarias Eran de sus almenas, Cuando el que ves sayal fue limpio acero. Yacen ahora, y sus desnudas piedras Visten piadosas yedras: Que a ruinas y a estragos, Sabe el tiempo hacer verdes halagos.»   Con” 0 likes