Start by marking “Ottoman Cage (Cetin Ikmen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ottoman Cage (Cetin Ikmen, #2)

Ottoman Cage (Inspector Ikmen #2)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  44 reviews
When a brutal murder shocks Istanbul's rundown Jewish quarter, the Turkish police force unleashes their best weapon - the chain-smoking, brandy-swilling Inspector Cetin Ikmen, husband to a strict Muslim woman (who disapproves of his drinking) and loving father of eight (with another on the way). With such a colorful personality and unrivaled investigative powers, Ikmen wil...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published July 6th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ottoman Cage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ottoman Cage

My Name is Red by Orhan PamukSnow by Orhan PamukIstanbul by Orhan PamukBirds Without Wings by Louis de BernièresThe Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak
Mediterranean Melting Pot (III): Byzantium and Turkey
40th out of 128 books — 143 voters
The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif ShafakIstanbul by Orhan PamukMy Name is Red by Orhan PamukMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieCount Belisarius by Robert Graves
Istanbul
16th out of 115 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Elli
Got to give this 5 stars! Any thing that could make me try to read this in entirety in as close to one sitting as possible has to warrant 5 stars for me! This is the second in this series by Barbara Nadel that I have read, and I have become familiar with all the main characters, the head detective, his not too with=it boss who is stuck with the public political ramifications, and the lives as well as personal lives of all those under him. And I am increasingly becoming more familiar with this ar...more
Spuddie
#2 Cetin Ikmen mystery set in modern Istanbul, Turkey. Ikmen, Sgt. Suleyman and their team investigate the death of a young drug addict found in a bizarre locked room in an apartment next to the Topkapi Palace, and the autopsy brings up a number of irregularities that has everyone scratching their heads.

Very atmospheric, with an interesting protagonist--how many police stories are written with the main character married with eight children?--and some strong secondary characters, but honestly th...more
Roberta
This is a fast paced whodunit which along the way explores the byways of Turkish culture and painlessly provides lots of history regarding the Ottoman Empire and plenty of colorful information about Istanbul. I've only recently discovered this author and the publishing house Felony and Mayhem. As a total mystery and travel buff, I love them both.

Felony and Mayhem finds many foreign, often out of print, mysteries, translates them into English and publishes them for the English speaking market and...more
Edie
A book I read near the end of my visit to Turkey, it deals with some pretty sick behavior by the villain (whom you can guess at pretty easily)--but for a sense of life in Istanbul in current times, the tensions between Muslims and Christians, Turks and Armenians, the old ways vs the new ways, it has a lot going for it. I wish I had read it earlier in our trip.
Fiona
Wonderful story taking place in Istanbul.

A boy of around 19 has been found murdered in an attic apartment. The city's pathologist, Dr Arto Sarkissian, declared that he died of strangulation but was on drugs. The boy was also not circumcised; all Muslims males are circumcised. Inspector Cetin Ikmen, Dr Arto's boyhood friend, has been called in to investigate the murder. Someone has been sending gifts to the Inspector as the case is worked. Is this the killer? Who is this boy? Who killed him.

I had...more
Jen
Cathy Cole
Two years ago, the first book in this series, Belshazzar's Daughter, was one of the best books I read. I've taken entirely too long to get back to this series, and I picked up The Ottoman Cage with a great deal of anticipation. I enjoyed watching the wily Inspector Ikmen at work, but at times it felt as though there was too much going on for one book.

The book felt too long and moved as slowly as molasses in January throughout the murder investigation. It revealed itself much too slowly, undoubte...more
Bookmaniac70
I just love Barbara Nadel`s books. She builds always an intriguing plot- a mystery riddle,almost impossible to solve but of course,not for the talented officers from the Istanbul police.

This is the second book of Cetin Ikmen series. As I have read almost all books,I love to see the characters in development. Along with the crimes they solve,we get a glimpse of their personal lives and stories which evolve with the time. So the reader gets the feeling that those characters are people familiar to...more
Patricia
Andrea recommended this book, which I bought. When I saw it, it says "recommended for those who love Donna Leon" whom I love, but somehow it put me off. I was irritated when I started the book. "This is NOTHING like Donna Leon" I thought.

I was wrong. Ten pages in, I was hooked. I couldn't wait to get back to the book. I learned so much about life in modern Turkey, the forces that flow, the things that matter. I was totally in another world, and it seems to real to me as . . . hmmm . . . Donna L...more
Peggy
#2 in the Inspector Ikmen mystery series set in Istanbul. I like these books because we were just there and the names and places are familiar. (Interestingly, in this book the author is called "The Michael Dibdin of Istanbul" but in #3, she's called "The Donna Leon of Istanbul").
The characters are interesting because they are varied and somewhat flawed. i.e. human. The books touch on various Turkish issues, this one being the place of Armenians, although the issues are never the main thrust of...more
Kathy
a pleasant light mystery placed in istanbul - what could be more mysterious?
Sónia Rodrigues
De leitura acessível esta é uma obra que nos remete para a realidade de uma cultura turca, onde a exclusão das minorias numa sociedade maioritariamente islâmica é destacada.

A história baseia-se num assassínio cuja busca pelo culpado passa pela resolução de uma charada. Após uma intensa investigação policial são desvendadas actividades obscuras que põem à prova o ser humano mais moral e competente.

O enredo é interessante embora um pouco previsível. Não obstante, proporciona ao leitor alguns momen...more
Monica
Fascinating look at the multicultural stew of Istanbul - the ethnic, religious and societal divisions that make it unique. The secular Muslim Ikmen, the Armenian patholgist, the Jewish constable and Suleyman the offspring of a wealthy, tradidional Ottoman family form an interesting police team. The plot touches on the old (one hopes) practice of imprisoning a rival in one's family for life, Armenians as handy scapegoats, and pedophilia and prostitution. Contrary to the blurbs, it's not Michael D...more
Emily
A great detective novel made even better by its exotic location. I really learned a lot about the Istanbul culture, especially their ethnic distinctions. They really focus on each other's background and culture, and with that, social status. The only thing that bugged me were the number of scene changes in each chapter. I would just be getting into a story line and then the author would leave on a cliffhanger and switch to different characters after just a few pages!
Reetta Saine
Barbara Nadel on ehdottomasti yksi tämänhetkisistä dekkarineroista. Turkkilainen/istanbulilainen kulttuuri, sen historia ja nykyiset yhteiskunnalliset muutokset, kansallisuuksien väliset ristiriidat ja miesten ja naisten väliset suhteet taustoittavat loistavasti sympaattisen Ikmenin murhatutkimuksia. Kirjasarjan sivuhenkilöt on rakennettu pieteetillä oudoiksi, kiinnostaviksi ja tykättäviksi.

Juonet kantavat, vaikka ovatkin ahdistavia.
Kate
Reaaly enjoyed this well-written modern crime drama set in Istanbul. Lots of interesting cultural & historic info about the Turks & Armenians. The whole concept of the Ottoman royalty imprisoning potential rivals for the throne & how that played into the story line tied everything up nicely in the end. Also had great & colorful characters. Will be intereting to see what book club thinks of it.

Christina
Slogging through the dense thicket of details and names distracted me from the forest of the story's main plot points. For a while, I thought this book was translated from another language, so I was willing to cut Ms. Nadel some slack. However, the UK-native's novel focuses too much on insignificant throwaway details leaving little room for the reader to notice the keystones of the plot.
Meredith Galman
An interesting procedural set in contemporary Istanbul that provides memorable characters and a vivid slice of life in that city. However, the villain is so obvious, so straight out of Central Casting, it seems impossible for the police to take so long to identify him. Both the villain's obligatory boasting of his crimes and the denouement are extraordinarily protracted.
Alexandra
I picked up this book as an introduction to Istanbul - I am traveling there soon. The descriptions of tensions between religions and races was illuminating, and the story had point sof historical interest, but the romance and tension writing was painful to read. As a novel it was lacking, but still served the purposes I wanted
Paul Varner
Krikor Sarkissian, doctor and Arto's brother
Dr. Avedekian and his rich, gay lover Muhamed Ersoy
Kafes = Cage used by Ottoman rulers
Sara Bishop
I am having fun with these, living in Turkey. It is brain candy, rough and through, but it id so lovely knowing what a simici is (not to mention how it is pronounced) and that when she writes, "Brother", i know it is "Abi". So i am just having fun with these books. Flavorful but not necessarily nutritious.
Debby

Unsure whether to give it 3 or 4 stars. I read it whilst on holiday in Turkey so it was culturally interesting but the mystery was fairly transparent. Also the author doesn't even live in Turkey, so I wonder how accurate her descriptions of life here are.
Jess
It reads like what it is: a novel by a person who isn't from Turkey and who doesn't live there, but she has read several history books, knows her way around the touristy areas, and has a strong social agenda (tolerance is good, smoking is bad).
Sadie
I love Turkey so I was very excited about this book, a mystery set in modern Istanbul. My excitement was short lived however. I didn't enjoy the book until I was almost finished with it. Not sure I could even recommend it to anyone.
Marty
Grabbed this from the "take one - leave one" shelf at our RV resort - just wanted a mystery to balance the more serious works I am reading. This was okay - but not the greatest. Really prefer the "page turners" when I am reading light!
Mariana
Tenho pena de ter lido este livro (cuja acção decorre na Turquia) antes de ter vivido na bela nação turca. Se a ordem dos acontecimentos tivesse sido diferente, acredito que o impacto desta história teria sido bem maior.
Tim
The Ottoman Cage is a mystery set in Istanbul, but it is a wooden, false affair, with poor dialogue and more character description than revelation. The plot is tired and only a little of the atmosphere redeems it.
Jane
Second in the series, which is shaping up as an excellent and entertaining one.Exotic locale, entertaining characters, gritty plot - what's not to like?
Diego
I had to start this book 3 times because it is a bit slow in the beginning. Afterwards, it gets more interesting, especially cause its set in Turkey.
Whitney
Not really sure how I feel about this book. Sometimes I really enjoy it, sometimes I don't. I do like Ikmen's character, I'll say that much.
  • An Evil Eye (Yashim the Eunuch, #4)
  • The Lacquer Screen
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)
  • The Damascened Blade (Joe Sandilands, #3)
  • Grandad, There's A Head On The Beach (Jimm Juree, #2)
  • Shelf Ice
  • Friends in High Places (Commissario Brunetti, #9)
  • Dead Before Dying
  • Under the Dragon's Tail (Detective Murdoch, #2)
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
  • Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)
Barbara Nadel is an English crime-writer. Many of her books are set in Turkey. Born in the East End of London, Barbara Nadel trained as an actress before becoming a writer. Now writing full-time, she has previously worked as a public relations officer for the National Schizophrenia Fellowship's Good Companion Service and as a mental health advocate for the mentally disordered in a psychiatric hosp...more
More about Barbara Nadel...
Belshazzar's Daughter Arabesk (Cetin Ikmen, #3) Harem (Cetin Ikmen, #5) Deep Waters (Cetin Ikmen, #4) Dance with Death (Cetin Ikmen, #8)