Start by marking “Elijah's Cup: A Family's Journey into the Community and Culture of High-functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome (Revised edition)” as Want to Read:

This provocative and pioneering book is both a refreshing exploration of the history of autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) and a powerful story of the author's own struggle with her son Elijah's Asperger's Syndrome.

From her first inklings of Elijah's difference to her discovery of a whole spectrum of another way of life that includes everything from civil rights organization
Published March 15th 2005 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers (first published March 26th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Elijah's Cup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elijah's Cup

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot by John CallahanTwirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed by Jeannie Davide-RiveraHarm Reduction Guide to Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs by Will HallThe Diary of Frida Kahlo by Frida KahloThe Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability by Miriam Kaufman
disability studies
130th out of 134 books — 24 voters
With Angel's Wings by Stephanie A. CollinsKaren by Marie KillileaMy Baby Rides the Short Bus by Yantra BertelliExpecting Adam by Martha N. BeckSchuyler's Monster by Robert Rummel-Hudson
Good Books For Special Needs Parents
39th out of 70 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

The literary equivalent to high-school cafeteria jello. First, It wiggles and jiggles alarmlingly, yet never actually goes anywhere. Second, there may be a logical reason for the existence of jello and of this book, but I'm putting both into the imponderable category.

Neither add much of anything that I can see. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy her son was, as of the end of the book, apparently doing okay. but so much of this seemed slap-dash and incoherent as though it was a first draft vomi
Nov 20, 2009 Ivana rated it it was amazing
Here is how Valerie puts it-and those are the best possible words to describe the book:

“I like crossing cultural boundaries. I learned from my German family that this is perhaps one of the most daring and meaningful things a person can do in a life. The day I saw Elijah dance with the dragonflies, I knew I wanted to write a book about autism and cultural boundaries. I wanted to dismantle the fear many people feel toward other minds. Now I’m offering this labor of love to my readers in the hope t
Jul 21, 2013 D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was required reading for a class I am taking on Early Childhood Autism, but it is not your typical textbook. It is the very personal story of one family's journey into High-Functioning Autism/Asperger's Syndrome with their son, Elijah. Written by Elijah's mother, Valerie Paradiz, told the story of young parents who struggled first with frequent seizures and lack of communication and then with the diagnosis of autism of their son. I totally related (I think any parent could) to the feel ...more
Julie Akeman
Mar 27, 2016 Julie Akeman rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. It mentions that Andy Warhol probably had Asperger's syndrome. I know what he looks like and I know his works but I didn't know anything of him, going to have to research his life after this at some point. This is a true story of a mom and her Autistic boy and about the living thriving community of other Autistics. It mentions some famous ones and some that are a bit more obscure. This book shouts out the positives of being autistic. The creativity, the sensitivity, the contribut ...more
Jul 28, 2009 Bethany rated it really liked it
It took me a long time to read this book, not because it wasn't interesting or compelling, but because life just gets in the way sometimes.

That is sort of the theme of Paradiz's account of her life navigating the world with an autistic son. Paradiz shares her story of her son Elijah's decline into a voiceless world, plagued with seizures of unknown origin. Once Elijah received an official diagnosis of autism, things began to make more sense in their lives, but it was still a constant struggle.

Jun 26, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
The author's experience with her son's diagnosis and journey with autism, as well as with the revelation that her father had autistic tendencies and did she herself. Also highlights others who may have had autism or Asperger's: Einstein, Andy Warhol, Andy Kaufman. There were several times I found myself looking around for pencil and paper so I could write down quotes. I'll have to read it again so I can capture all those missed quotes.

Oct 04, 2012 Lacy rated it it was amazing
Amazing, heart-wrenching, life-changing. This book spoke to me. This book said things "out loud" that I've only dared to conjure up in the deepest part of my heart. Thank you, Valerie, for sharing your journey with Elijah with the world. You have answered SO many questions for me that "experts" haven't even allowed me to ask. I look forward to my journey -- for once, I look to the future with hope. Thank you for giving me the courage to keep searching for answers and help.
Katie Sorensen
Oct 22, 2011 Katie Sorensen rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I would've finished reading this if it weren't required for one of my classes, but I'm glad I did. It's a really insightful and tender memoir written by the mom of a child with autism. It involves creative narrative writing as well as factual and researched information about autism - I appreciated the balance of both elements. Overall, a very interesting look into the life of a family with an autistic child.
Apr 25, 2009 Joelle rated it it was amazing
Valerie and Elijah share similar experiences as Sid and myself. This book has very special meaning for me in these shared experiences. Valerie is a beautiful writer. She mingles her journey with her kiddo, with interesting observations of other folks believed to be on the spectrum. I am reading this book a second time because I feel so good when I read it. We share a perspective. It is Aspergian Art. And it is exquisite.
Oct 19, 2012 Rae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely beautiful. It is a rare book which brings you inside a truly different kind of mind and culture, and this book is a point of contact with people who are so like me and yet so different. There is a sense of solidarity as well as inclusiveness in Val's writing. Her story is heartbreaking, heartwarming, educational, and expansive. I want to own this so I can read it again and again.
Carla Jenkins
Feb 21, 2012 Carla Jenkins rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Paradiz writes so eloquently, and her story is so full of acceptance and hope. Years after I read this, I met her and Elijah, who was then about 16, at a conference. He was doing stand-up comedy, and was really funny. I feel so fortunate to have been able to meet them after being inspired by their story.
Havebooks Willread
Jan 11, 2014 Havebooks Willread rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, parenting
A Family's Journey Into the Community and Culture of High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome. Very interesting, I liked the way she overviewed famous people who have had autism and taught about autism. Sometimes, especially in the beginning, I found her prose annoying, but once she got into sharing her research and experiences, I really enjoyed it.
Feb 13, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
This book was written by the mother of an autistic boy named Elijah. It gives an honest insight into the good and bad side of raising a child on the spectrum and could be a valuable resource to other parents who find themselves in that situation.
Sep 03, 2011 Janis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written by the mother of a son with Asperger's Syndrome. First saw Elijah on an MTV special doing stand up comedy. She takes you from Elijah's birth into his teens. Wonderful insight into the lives of people with autism.
Anne Evans
Apr 07, 2014 Anne Evans rated it it was ok
This author was very hard on herself and others. The story is filled with judgmentalism. She never seemed to recognize the fact that her father was a dentist and the level of mercury the family was exposed to could have been very high. Sad story.
Elliot Holloway
Oct 15, 2012 Elliot Holloway rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book! Some of the chapters not about the author and her son, where she wrote about her research into famous pictures with Asperger Syndrome, seemed to go on for a while, but overall, I thought it was a very interesting and informative read!
Mar 23, 2014 Sandy rated it liked it
Was a little disappointed. Wanted more about Elijah and less about mom's research into famous people suspected to be Aspie's.
Sep 08, 2008 Carrie rated it liked it
A wonderful look inside an Asperger family. I'm thinking of giving a copy of it to my child's teacher, as it provides revealing insight about these wonderfully unique and gifted children.
Angela rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2009
Chukwuka rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
The6scavos rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2009
Shannon D
Shannon D rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014
Kelly rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Sabby rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2015
Tori Simmons
Tori Simmons rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Jenny rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Jessica rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Jess Miller
Jess Miller rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2015
Christina rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2007
Borhan rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Exiting Nirvana: A Daughter's Life with Autism
  • A Slant of Sun: One Child's Courage
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, First Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Finding Ben: A Mother's Journey Through the Maze of Asperger's
  • The Mind Tree: A Miraculous Child Breaks The Silence Of Autism
  • Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism
  • Now I See the Moon: A Mother, a Son, a Miracle
  • Reasonable People
  • Songs of the Gorilla Nation: My Journey Through Autism
  • Following Ezra: What One Father Learned About Gumby, Otters, Autism, and Love From His Extraordinary Son
  • George and Sam
  • Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism
  • Somebody Somewhere: Breaking Free from the World of Autism
  • The Boy Who Loved Tornadoes
  • Developing Talents: Careers for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism
  • The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (And Their Parents)
  • Boy Alone: A Brother's Memoir