Start by marking “Elijah's Cup: A Family's Journey Into the Community and Culture of High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This provocative and pioneering book is both a refreshing exploration of the history of autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) and a powerful story of the author's own struggle with her son Elijah's Asperger's Syndrome. From her first inklings of Elijah's difference to her discovery of a whole spectrum of another way of life that includes everything from civil rights organizatio ...more
Published June 15th 2005 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers (first published March 26th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Elijah's Cup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elijah's Cup

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot by John CallahanTwirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed by Jeannie Davide-RiveraHarm Reduction Guide to Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs by Will HallThe Diary of Frida Kahlo by Frida KahloLife and Love by Zosia Zaks
disability studies
93rd out of 98 books — 16 voters
My Baby Rides the Short Bus by Yantra BertelliKaren by Marie KillileaExpecting Adam by Martha N. BeckSchuyler's Monster by Robert Rummel-HudsonThis Lovely Life by Vicki Forman
Good Books For Special Needs Parents
28th out of 59 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Ivana
Here is how Valerie puts it-and those are the best possible words to describe the book:

“I like crossing cultural boundaries. I learned from my German family that this is perhaps one of the most daring and meaningful things a person can do in a life. The day I saw Elijah dance with the dragonflies, I knew I wanted to write a book about autism and cultural boundaries. I wanted to dismantle the fear many people feel toward other minds. Now I’m offering this labor of love to my readers in the hope t
Megatherium
The literary equivalent to high-school cafeteria jello. First, It wiggles and jiggles alarmlingly, yet never actually goes anywhere. Second, there may be a logical reason for the existence of jello and of this book, but I'm putting both into the imponderable category.

Neither add much of anything that I can see. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy her son was, as of the end of the book, apparently doing okay. but so much of this seemed slap-dash and incoherent as though it was a first draft vomi
D
This book was required reading for a class I am taking on Early Childhood Autism, but it is not your typical textbook. It is the very personal story of one family's journey into High-Functioning Autism/Asperger's Syndrome with their son, Elijah. Written by Elijah's mother, Valerie Paradiz, told the story of young parents who struggled first with frequent seizures and lack of communication and then with the diagnosis of autism of their son. I totally related (I think any parent could) to the feel ...more
Anne Evans
This author was very hard on herself and others. The story is filled with judgmentalism. She never seemed to recognize the fact that her father was a dentist and the level of mercury the family was exposed to could have been very high. Sad story.
Bethany
It took me a long time to read this book, not because it wasn't interesting or compelling, but because life just gets in the way sometimes.

That is sort of the theme of Paradiz's account of her life navigating the world with an autistic son. Paradiz shares her story of her son Elijah's decline into a voiceless world, plagued with seizures of unknown origin. Once Elijah received an official diagnosis of autism, things began to make more sense in their lives, but it was still a constant struggle.

Th
Havebooks Willread
A Family's Journey Into the Community and Culture of High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome. Very interesting, I liked the way she overviewed famous people who have had autism and taught about autism. Sometimes, especially in the beginning, I found her prose annoying, but once she got into sharing her research and experiences, I really enjoyed it.
Lacy
Amazing, heart-wrenching, life-changing. This book spoke to me. This book said things "out loud" that I've only dared to conjure up in the deepest part of my heart. Thank you, Valerie, for sharing your journey with Elijah with the world. You have answered SO many questions for me that "experts" haven't even allowed me to ask. I look forward to my journey -- for once, I look to the future with hope. Thank you for giving me the courage to keep searching for answers and help.
Beth
The author's experience with her son's diagnosis and journey with autism, as well as with the revelation that her father had autistic tendencies and did she herself. Also highlights others who may have had autism or Asperger's: Einstein, Andy Warhol, Andy Kaufman. There were several times I found myself looking around for pencil and paper so I could write down quotes. I'll have to read it again so I can capture all those missed quotes.

Joelle
Valerie and Elijah share similar experiences as Sid and myself. This book has very special meaning for me in these shared experiences. Valerie is a beautiful writer. She mingles her journey with her kiddo, with interesting observations of other folks believed to be on the spectrum. I am reading this book a second time because I feel so good when I read it. We share a perspective. It is Aspergian Art. And it is exquisite.
Katie Sorensen
I'm not sure I would've finished reading this if it weren't required for one of my classes, but I'm glad I did. It's a really insightful and tender memoir written by the mom of a child with autism. It involves creative narrative writing as well as factual and researched information about autism - I appreciated the balance of both elements. Overall, a very interesting look into the life of a family with an autistic child.
Rae
This book was absolutely beautiful. It is a rare book which brings you inside a truly different kind of mind and culture, and this book is a point of contact with people who are so like me and yet so different. There is a sense of solidarity as well as inclusiveness in Val's writing. Her story is heartbreaking, heartwarming, educational, and expansive. I want to own this so I can read it again and again.
Carla Jenkins
I loved this book. Paradiz writes so eloquently, and her story is so full of acceptance and hope. Years after I read this, I met her and Elijah, who was then about 16, at a conference. He was doing stand-up comedy, and was really funny. I feel so fortunate to have been able to meet them after being inspired by their story.
Elliot Holloway
This was an excellent book! Some of the chapters not about the author and her son, where she wrote about her research into famous pictures with Asperger Syndrome, seemed to go on for a while, but overall, I thought it was a very interesting and informative read!
Lisa
This book was written by the mother of an autistic boy named Elijah. It gives an honest insight into the good and bad side of raising a child on the spectrum and could be a valuable resource to other parents who find themselves in that situation.
Janis
Beautifully written by the mother of a son with Asperger's Syndrome. First saw Elijah on an MTV special doing stand up comedy. She takes you from Elijah's birth into his teens. Wonderful insight into the lives of people with autism.
Carrie
A wonderful look inside an Asperger family. I'm thinking of giving a copy of it to my child's teacher, as it provides revealing insight about these wonderfully unique and gifted children.
Sandy
Was a little disappointed. Wanted more about Elijah and less about mom's research into famous people suspected to be Aspie's.
Cheryl
Apr 30, 2012 Cheryl marked it as library-to-read  ·  review of another edition
CC only, but no rush cuz it doesn't look all that enlightening compared to all the ones I've read, and the ones I own.
Cynthia
A fascinating account of a single mother's journey with her autistic son.
Jen
Oct 29, 2014 Jen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Started it, didn't like it, couldn't get into, didn't finish it.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
'robin
'robin marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Exiting Nirvana: A Daughter's Life with Autism
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • A Slant of Sun: One Child's Courage
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, First Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Finding Ben: A Mother's Journey Through the Maze of Asperger's
  • Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism
  • Reasonable People
  • Songs of the Gorilla Nation: My Journey Through Autism
  • George and Sam
  • Strange Son
  • Following Ezra: What One Father Learned About Gumby, Otters, Autism, and Love From His Extraordinary Son
  • Mozart and the Whale: An Asperger's Love Story
  • The Mind Tree: A Miraculous Child Breaks The Silence Of Autism
  • Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism
  • Developing Talents: Careers for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism
  • Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph over Autism
  • Now I See the Moon: A Mother, a Son, a Miracle
  • Nobody Nowhere: the Extraordinary Autobiography of an Autistic
Clever Maids: The Secret History of the Grimm Fairy Tales The Integrated Self-Advocacy ISA Curriculum: A Program for Emgerging Self-Advocates with Autism Spectrum and Other Conditions (Teacher Manual) Teenage Refugees from Bosnia-Herzegovina Speak Out Teenage Refugees From Bosnia Herzegovina Speak Out Scholars with Autism Achieving Dreams