Start by marking “Trial by Fire (Ali Reynolds, #5)” as Want to Read:
Trial by Fire (Ali Reynolds, #5)

Trial by Fire (Ali Reynolds #5)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  2,661 Ratings  ·  264 Reviews
Published December 1st 2009 by Touchstone Books (first published November 9th 2009)

Gloria Bernal
Feb 25, 2012 Gloria Bernal rated it really liked it
This story is so "today." How can you not love a novel that features a 70-something yr old Nun whose lifeline is her iPhone and knows how to use it to outsmart a bad guy? Even her Bishop is techy. Loved it! In this case, the main victim of attempted murder by arson is a woman, pulled naked and burned over 50% of her body, left to die at the scene, but she doesn't...yet she can't remember anything or talk. I found this part of the book totally engrossing, reading from the burned victim's point of ...more
Violeta Petrovska
Feb 22, 2016 Violeta Petrovska rated it really liked it
Како што ветив, книгава ја прочитав покрај прекрасните плажи на Скијатос, оценката се должи на фактот што имаше многу личности, па ми се мешаа малку со брановите, поздрав Марија, уште еднаш ти благодарам за прекрасниот подарок, посебно за посветата!!!!
Judd Exley
Mar 18, 2015 Judd Exley rated it did not like it
I can't tell if the author is a stuck-up wealthy bitch and her characters (and the hero) are modeled after her, or if she's taking the piss and secretly wants us to fkn hate Ali Reynolds.

Either way, hate her I do.

There is so little to like about this character that I can't even begin to list her flaws. Suffice to say that she'll never fail to mention if somebody's got designer clothing or furniture, or if somebody's hair or makeup is crap, yet everything in-between is NEVER mentioned.

In fact, ma
Bruce Snell
Jun 21, 2014 Bruce Snell rated it liked it
This is the 5th book in the Ali Reynolds series by J.A. Jance. It is worth noting that this is the best book of the series thus far, although Jance recycled many ideas previously used earlier in the Joanna Brady series. Ali is hired by the county sheriff's department as a Public Information Officer, and runs into problems with the officers who won't accept her and even more problems with the receptionist - themes taken directly from Joanna Brady. And of course, in keeping with the general theme ...more
Jeanie Jackson
Dec 28, 2014 Jeanie Jackson rated it really liked it
This is probably my favorite of the more recent books. I hope to see more of the Angel of Death soon. I have enjoyed watching Ali grow as a more self-confident person.

The sheriff asks Ali to temporarily take over the role of Media Specialist, but seems uncomfortable with having her around. When a badly burn woman in found at the scene of apparent eco-terrorism, she assigns Ali to the burn hospital to deal with the media invasion.
When the patient advocate ask Ali assistance in keeping an eye one
Gerald Patrick
Nov 14, 2012 Gerald Patrick rated it it was ok
I actually read this book while away from home and hadn't had a chance to add it yet. I can see by others it received some rather high review marks but for the life of me I don't know why. Given that this is my first involvement with Jance, her characters and/or style, I'll hedge my remarks.
While the story was intriguing enough, she never really developed the two officers the story started around. It seemed to me she plucked characters out of mid-air as needed and left a lot of unknown's. I. E.
Juli
Jul 25, 2011 Juli rated it really liked it
Love the Ali Reynolds novels. This is a new series by J. A. Jance and I feel it's the best by far.

I've been reading Jance for years and years. I've read all of the J. P. Beaumont and then all of the Joann Brady series and they're great. Jance tends to be more convincing with a strong female main character than Male. I often times find J. P. Beaumont to be a little too wishy washy for a man.

Jance gets it all right with Reynolds. She'll hit a chord with many women because she was fired for being
Aug 30, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
I've read a couple of books in this series now, and it's still entertaining, although I'm kinda looking around this apartment and thinking that we ourselves could use an extremely resourceful butler. I mean, we're not accidentally stumbling into a mystery to solve or nothin', but surely that's not a prerequisite for a butler. Is it?

Kay
Oct 16, 2010 Kay rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I probably would have enjoyed this book more if I hadn't been so busy the last 3 days and didn't have the time to read [although I now wish I had skipped last night's baseball game because this book is certainly better than it was!!!]. So most likely if I had read it in my usual 1 or 2 days I would have rated it 4 stars.
Anna Cazale
I was a bit disappointed.

I was disappointed and surprised when I read book number five when I thought I had read the entire series and was waiting for the next book to come out. The plot was a bit weak and I was glad when it ended.
Carrie
Oct 07, 2015 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, auido
Ok, I really liked this book. I liked that it started out slower and that Ali wasn't as "stupid" as in some of the other books. Her new job was interesting and the book showed the truth of how people don't pay attention to their surroundings, like in the waiting room.
Hedi Seefeldt
Aug 15, 2015 Hedi Seefeldt rated it it was amazing
Very Good
Darlene Wilson
A raging fire , one woman is left to burn. Pulled naked and barely breathing from the fire, the victim has no idea who she is - who would do this to her, why? A savior appears - Sister Anselm - advocate for unidentified patients. Ali Reynolds, the police dept's new media consultant helps Sr Anselm locate missing relatives.Ali discovers a secret even darker than she ever could have imagined.
Joey
Nov 05, 2016 Joey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read in the Ali Reynolds series. Love the characters, and the plots are intriguing, suspenseful and definitely keep your attention all the way to the end. Highly recommend the series.
April
Nov 20, 2016 April rated it really liked it
Very good book.
Debfiddle
Nov 12, 2016 Debfiddle added it
Shelves: library-book
In the heat of the Arizona desert, a raging fire pushes temperatures to a deadly degree, and one woman is left to burn. Pulled naked and barely breathing from the fire, the victim has no idea who she is, let alone who would do this to her -- or why. In her hospital bed she drifts in and out of consciousness, her only means of communicating a blink of the eye. And then an angel appears. Misguidedly known around town as the "Angel of Death," Sister Anselm has devoted her life to working as an ...more
Lynne Radcliffe
Oct 18, 2016 Lynne Radcliffe rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this Ali Reynolds book. Finding I am enjoying how Jance has developed this character and her story line!
Barbara Mitchell
Mar 18, 2011 Barbara Mitchell rated it it was amazing
When I went to the library this week, I just couldn't resist picking up a new-to-me J. A. Jance and this one is as good as, if not better, than all of the others I've read. It's the fourth novel in the Ali Reynolds series.

As usual, Jance grabbed me with the first page which begins, "She awakened to the sound of roaring flames and to searing heat and lung-choking smoke. Maybe she was already dead and this was hell, but why would she go to hell?"

The woman realizes finally that she is alive because
Sandie
The adventurous life of Ali Reynolds continues with Trial by Fire. For those who have traveled through the Sedona/Prescott,AZ area the terrain covered in the book will seem familiar. While some aspects of this offering are a little "boilerplate" other elements are innovative though ephemeral.

When Ali is recruited by the local sheriff to act as the departments temporary Media Information Officer she accepts the job and becomes embroiled in hostile situations she had not anticipated (both inside
Betty Ann Baer
Sep 18, 2016 Betty Ann Baer rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-a-jance
A woman was found burning in a house fire in a location that she shouldn't have been at. She lived for awhile, but couldn't speak. Ali finds out who set the house and her on fire and why.
Kara Jorges
Dec 21, 2012 Kara Jorges rated it really liked it
This was not Ali Reynolds’ first mystery to solve, but it was the first book in the series that I’ve read. I found it typical JA Jance, which is not a bad thing. She has a tendency to start out in a rather folksy manner as the story revolves around the day-to-day minutiae of the main characters before it really gets going. Well before I ever start to wonder what the point is, though, I am always completely gripped by the mystery, and this book was no exception.

Ali is kicking back and enjoying th
Ed
Jul 11, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#5 in the Ali Reynolds series. Ali is asked to act as media liaison for the Yavapai County PD while their media officer in on leave pending an investigation. Her first assignment is to provide an on-scene presence at a fire. A critically burned victim and evidence of an eco-terrorist arsonist provide the seeds for a crime without a straightforward solution.

Ali (Alison) Reynolds series - In the heat of the Arizona desert, a raging fire pushes temperatures to a deadly degree, and one woman is left
Greta
Sep 15, 2016 Greta rated it really liked it
As a fan of the Joanna Brady series I am now enjoying reading the Ali Reynolds series. I saw a lot of development of Ali's character in this book.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"In the heat of the Arizona desert, a raging fire pushes temperatures to a deadly degree, and one woman is left to burn. Pulled naked and barely breathing from the fire, the victim has no idea who she is, let alone who would do this to her -- or why. In her hospital bed she drifts in and out of consciousness, her only means of communicating a blink of the eye. And then an angel appears. Misguidedly known around town as the "Angel of Death," Sister Anselm has devoted her life to working as
Marcia  Haskell
Nov 08, 2016 Marcia Haskell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"In the heat of the Arizona desert, a raging fire pushes temperatures to a deadly degree, and one woman is left to burn. Pulled naked and barely breathing from the fire, the victim has no idea who she is, let alone who would do this to her - or why. Then a savior appears. Sister Anselm is a devoted advocate for unidentified patients, but to Jane Doe's remorseless would-be killer, she poses a serious threat. Ali Reynolds, the police department's new media consultant, circumvents questions about ...more
June Ahern
Sep 07, 2015 June Ahern rated it it was ok
The title and prologue was catchy and then the story began with me losing interest each page I turned. As one book before author J.A. Jance lost me in the too detailed, at times boring details of the characters before getting to the meat of the story. The build up is slow and at times, who cares? Or, I don't care to have that much detail about the protagonist Ali's life when the book is listed as a suspense. The story finally reached back to the woman burning to death in a building and the ...more
Sharon
Dec 28, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it
I'm a longtime fan of J.A. Jance's novels. "Trial by Fire" is the latest featuring Ali Reynolds, a former newspaper reporter and television journalist who seems to find her way into trouble fairly often.

In this case, Ali is asked to step in as media relations officer for the local sheriff's department after a scandal rocks the office. She is thus on the scene at a fire when a woman's body is carried out and airlifted to a hospital. Ali is asked to stay at the hospital to try to find out who that
annapi
Feb 01, 2016 annapi rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
A scandal in the local police department of Arizona's Yavapai County causes its sheriff to hire Ali Reynolds temporarily as the media relations officer. Her first case in that capacity is an arson investigation in which a naked woman is rescued from the fire. Badly burned, the victim is suffering from amnesia. When the feds get involved because of the apparent involvement of environmental terrorists, the Sheriff's department is pushed aside and the investigation into the attempted murder is ...more
Sue
Mar 13, 2010 Sue added it
Former Los Angeles anchorwoman Ali Reynolds is now living in her hometown of Sedona, Arizona, when the Sheriff of Yavapai County, Gordon Maxwell, asks her to fill in for his media relations officer who is currently off duty under a cloud of suspicion. When a woman is badly injured in an arson fire, with no memory of the event, or even her name, the A.T.F. takes over the investigation from the county, making Ali’s presence at the hospital unnecessary. However, after the victim is identified, her ...more
J.R.
Jan 06, 2010 J.R. rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Ali Reynolds, a former journalist, is offered a temporary job as media relations consultant for the Yavapai County (Ariz.) Police Department and soon finds herself an unofficial “investigator” after a badly burned woman is pulled from a raging fire at an upscale housing development.

A scrawled message on a wall at the scene of the presumed arson implicates a radical environmental group, but Ali’s curiosity convinces her there may be more to the case. She links up with Sister Anselm, a Catholic nu
  • Weapon of Choice
  • The Midnight Road
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle
  • Winter Wind
  • St. Nick
  • The Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Straight Flushed (A Hot Pursuit Novel, #1)
  • Remembering Sarah
  • Frozen Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #3)
  • The Body in the Bookcase (Faith Fairchild, #9)
  • Snake Dreams (Charlie Moon, #13)
  • Whack of the P-Rex (The Notebook of Doom, #5)
  • The Murder Wall (DCI Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning
  • Letters From Home
  • Mourning Dove (Ella Clah, #11)
  • Scare Me
  • Locked In
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

Ali Reynolds (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Edge of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #1)
  • Web of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #2)
  • Hand of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #3)
  • Cruel Intent (Ali Reynolds, #4)
  • Fatal Error (Ali Reynolds, #6)
  • Left for Dead (Ali Reynolds, #7)
  • Deadly Stakes (Ali Reynolds, #8)
  • Moving Target (Ali Reynolds, #9)
  • Cold Betrayal (Ali Reynolds, #10)
  • Clawback (Ali Reynolds, #11)