Start by marking “Evolution Rx: A Practical Guide to Harnessing Our Innate Capacity for Health and Healing” as Want to Read:

A revolutionary-yet simple and practical-guide to staying fit and healthy based on evolutionary medicine.

Countless books and nutrition experts have advised modern readers to adopt the best of the "cave-man diet" that avoids processed foods and refined carbohydrates. But how and what people eat is only the beginning of what the study of human evolution can teach us about ov
Published May 5th 2009 by Perigee Trade

To ask other readers questions about Evolution Rx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evolution Rx

Lena
Feb 22, 2010 Lena rated it liked it
Shelves: medical
In Evolution Rx, Dr. William Meller takes a broad look at human health through the lens of the developing field of evolutionary medicine. Evolution, he asserts, was pretty smart when it put us together, and many of our current health problems can be traced to the fact that the circumstances in which we currently live vary greatly from those which our bodies adapted to over millions of years.

Take diet, for example. We evolved in environments in which food was relatively scarce, so the cravings we
I heard an interview with Dr.Meller on the Skepticality podcast and knew for sure I needed to read this book. The interview was fascinating, and the concept that our bodies have evolved to take care of itself, and looking at how and why our ancestors adapted reveals insights into how to improve our own health.

That being said, I don't think I would have enjoyed the book as much if I hadn't heard the interview. I strongly suggest if you read the book to also find that interview. The book itself is
Lauren
There is a lot of good information in this book, but also a lot of questionable advice. He tells us not to push our dietary ethics onto our children (e.g. vegetarianism) and yet isn't he pushing his dietary ethics on us by insisting that the only healthy diet includes meat? He has some clearly legitimate scientifically-backed advice, and then some dubious claims tossed in without a lot of backup.

I recommend reading this article/review by Harriett Hall, MD, before tackling this book, and then kee
Becky Sidney
Apr 05, 2010 Becky Sidney rated it really liked it
This is another way of looking at health. Very common sense and I agree w/ many of his assertions.
It is definitely written for the lay public so the inference that bacteria and viruses think was bothersome to me. It does make for a more easily read book however.
Simon Williams
A truly excellent look at human evolution and how it relates to health, healing and lifestyle. Despite the kooky sounding title, it's definitely not a book of woo.
Bruce
Feb 01, 2011 Bruce rated it really liked it
Adds additional perspective on why our bodies do what they do. Provides insight into why some health issues are more difficult to combat. Another set of pieces to the puzzle that of us.
Salsadancer
Dec 21, 2009 Salsadancer rated it it was amazing
How to take care of our body based on evolutionary science -- what works, what is a waste of time, and why. It is worth reading.
Becky Roper
May 21, 2013 Becky Roper rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A very interesting (non-fiction) book about why our bodies work the way they do according to the theory of evolution, and how we can use that informtation to our advantage.
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2010
Tara Humphreys
Tara Humphreys rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2010
Stuart
Stuart rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2010
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2010
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Ursula Finley
Ursula Finley rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Gonen Wilf
Gonen Wilf rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2012
Casey Trimpin
Casey Trimpin rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Marje
Marje rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2011
David
David rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2009
Robert Altenburg
Robert Altenburg rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Markii
Mar 20, 2011 Markii is currently reading it
LOVED the interview on the Skepticality podcast with the author. definitely a must-read.
Brie
Brie rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2009
Michael Daines
Michael Daines rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Aditya Bhargava
Aditya Bhargava rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Jack Oughton
Jack Oughton rated it liked it
May 08, 2014
Mat
Mat rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Antonia
Antonia rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2009
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2013