House of Hades

House of Hades (Fighting Fantasy #10)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Stranded miles from anywhere on a dark and stormy night, your only hope of refuge is the strange, ramshackle mansion you can see in the distance... But entering the House of Hell hurls you into an adventure of spine-chilling and blood-curdling terror. The dangers of the torrential storm outside are nothing compared to the nightmarish creatures that await you within its gru...more
Published June 13th 1985 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1984)

Alex
This is an absolutely terrific gamebook, a fiendishly conceptualised puzzle that's made even more fun to play by its beautifully grizzly - albeit utterly cliched - horror setting and nightmare plot ('plat' may be a push), wherein our hapless adventurer finds himself knocking on the door of a mansion for help after a car accident. The owner of the house, an early is, naturally, pretty evil and into devil worship and sacrifice, and it's your job to escape from this madness. You'll meet the usual a...more
David Sarkies
Jun 23, 2012 David Sarkies rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Gaming Geeks who like horror (or something different)
Recommended to David by: Ultimately Primary School
Shelves: gamebook
When I was a kid I did read this but found that this book was not only quite hard but also not really of a genre that I was particularly interested in. Personally I really do not like the horror genre, particularly when the genre involves haunted houses and ghosts. However this is not a typical horror story like Dean Kootz would write, but rather it is a game book using the horror genre as a background.
It appears that the writers of the gamebooks (Steve Jackson that is) has decided to move bac...more
Rich Stoehr
Though I read and enjoyed most of the interactive Fighting Fantasy book series when I was but a lad in my teenage years, 'House of Hades' is the one that I remember most, for two reasons.

First, unlike most of the FF books, which were fantasy role-playing (with a few science fiction stories thrown in for good measure), 'House of Hades' was firmly in the horror category, starting with your character showing up at a spooky old house and becoming trapped within its walls to experience the terrors wi...more
Graham
I loved these FIGHTING FANTASY gamebooks as a kid but HOUSE OF HELL was something slightly different - not a fantasy book but a horror one! Needless to say, at the age of 12, playing this in my darkened bedroom, I was extremely frightened.

I can still remember the adventure unfolding before me. The car accident, the rain, entering the house. The odd butler and the rooms with weird noises coming out of them. The gore and the vampires and the monsters in darkened corners. My heart would beat a litt...more
Hank Lancet
I may have read all of these books as a kid, but this one was the most memorable. I remember the first time I watched the Rocky Horror Picture Show, I kept thinking of this book, Lord Kelnor, the Earl of Drumer, entertaining me, his guest of circumstance. I still vividly remember all of the demonic room names as well as how to "win" this book adventure.
Deviki
Embarrassing as it sounds I had trouble winning this book
I lost like 5 times ….yes very embarrassing indeed….but still I had a very good time playing this game !!!
Strangerealms
This book in the serie is a really nice book. It happens in the modern world where you end up against your will in a haunted house. And getting out... alive is a very hard task. I have redone that one a few times because it's really well written and you face horrors after horrors. I've always cheated with these sort of books so I managed to get out of the house. It's quite an adventure!
Angela Oliver
Despite being more horror than fantasy, this was one of my favourite of the series. I have always loved the idea of immense haunted houses filled with strange worshippers. Indeed, I was even intending to run a roleplaying game based on it (tabletop) and started mapping it - and I shall have to say - this house is massive!

Definitely on the "must re-read" list!
Lady Entropy
This was a very VERY well written and well concept-ed book. So well that when I read it in my tween years, it gave me nightmares, and I wound up giving the book away as I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

Maybe now I'll find it trite and even cliché, but I remember having to turn on the light to manage to sleep after reading it.
Rita
Mais um dos poucos livros da colecção que consegui ter na minha "infância". Não me consigo recordar se li algum bocado desta aventura nessa altura, mas é certo que quando o li há relativamente pouco tempo o adorei.
R.M.F Brown
A welcome trip down memory lane. As far as I know, this is the only book in the series to be set in the 'real' world, and it's difficult to boot! Keep a map and watch out for the hunchback!
Icedlake
One of the best gamebooks ever. Do you think true paths are really annoying? Don't take it for granted, cause searching high and low for the right path sometimes could be satisfying.
Chris
it was boring at some points but exiting at other overall 1-10 I'd give it a 3 . (aka it sucked)
Matthew Hutchins
Matthew Hutchins marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Amran
Amran marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
  • Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)
  • Dungeon of Dread (Endless Quest, #1)
  • The Kingdoms of Terror (Lone Wolf, #6)
  • Uma Aventura na Casa Assombrada (Uma Aventura, #38)
  • The Book of Nod
  • Dungeon Master's Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Core Rulebook)
  • The World of Darkness (Main Rulebook)
  • Flesh-Colored Horror
  • Gremlins

British game designer, often confused with the American game designer of the same name.

Along with Ian Livingstone, creator of the Fighting Fantasy books.

More about Steve Jackson...
The Citadel Of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy, #2) The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1) Kharé - Cityport of Traps (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #2) Scorpion Swamp (Fighting Fantasy, #8) The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)