Start by marking “The Marshmallow Incident” as Want to Read:
The Marshmallow Incident

The Marshmallow Incident

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  49 reviews
From the creators of the bestseller CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS comes another zany, laugh-out-loud picture book!

The Town of Left and the Town of Right are separated by a dotted yellow line, and no one on either side can remember how things got to be this way! One day, an unlucky citizen crosses the line--forcing the Order of the Ambidextrous Knights who guard the bor
Published August 1st 2009 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Marshmallow Incident, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marshmallow Incident

Lisa Vegan
Apr 26, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all readers who have a silly side
Recommended to Lisa by: Luann
I’m left handed, I love marshmallows (and s’mores), and this tickled my funny bone. It’s very silly and I feel somewhat silly for liking this as much as I do, but I do, and I can’t wait to share it with some marshmallow loving kids. (Vegan) marshmallows will have to be provided because I know everyone will be in the mood to eat them.

The town of Right (where everyone is right handed) and the town of Left (where everyone is left handed) are divided by a broken yellow line that nobody ever crosses.
Jun 27, 2010 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Lisa Vegan
What a fun book--with a great message! I reveled in the absurdity of the towns of "Left" (left-handers) and "Right" (right-handers) being separated for umteen years for... well, no better reason than what hand you use to pick up a pen. (Gosh, haven't we seen nations divided over reasons that aren't much better!?) Then there's the silliness of the out-of-control, overflowing stash of marshmallows. Mmm, marshmallows! It's so amusing how the marshmallows help create a unity between the two towns. T ...more
What a funny, odd little book! It almost felt like two stories in one - a story about Knights who protect a kingdom using marshmallows and a kingdom divided in two, the Right-handed side and the Left-handed side.

While the story was fun, amusing, and delightfully absurd, it did feel a little disjointed and not especially fulfilling. Though, it was worth the read for the hilarity of it (and, of course, the nice message about getting along).

More than anything I enjoyed the illustrations, which took
The town of Right, with only right-handed people, and the town of Left, with only left-handed people, are separated by a bright yellow dotted line. The Order of the Ambidextrous Knights of the Dotted Yellow Line repaint the line when it starts to fade and make sure that no one crosses the line. The knights also guard their huge stash of marshmallows. One day someone accidently crosses the line, and that's when the troubles begin.

This reminded me of The Sneetches and The Butter Battle Book by Dr
CH - Marvin Childress
Author: Judi Barrett; Illustrated: Ron Barrett; Grades: 1-3

This book is a classic tale of "thanksgiving." It is about two sides of a line where people from one side never cross or talk to people from the other much that they don't even know why they don't like each other. For some reason, there are many, many marshmallows and one day someone crosses the line. They begin to argue and they hurl marshmallows at each other and discover how good they taste. They come together, a la "thanksg
I had to wait more than 5 seconds for my son to respond to the question, "did you like this book?" He eventually said he did, but I could see in his eyes he wasn't quite prepared for the discrimination of lefties and righties with overbearing "we're better than you" knights (due to their ambidexterity). My son prefers the same story line per Dr. Seuss in the Butter Battle Book.

The town of Left and the Town of right are separated by a dotted yellow line patrolled by knights. The town of left is c
I love the illustrations in these books (this being by the same duo from Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, etc), but in this one the story kind of fell flat for me. Two different towns for lefties and righties are pelted with Marshmallows from the Dotted Line Knights when there is a breech of the line caused by a trip.
Remniscent of "The Sneetches," and "The Zaxs" it highlights the ridiculousness of taking a minor, unimportant difference and creating an environment of distrust and dislike. Thank goodness common sense takes the day in the end. It also brought to mind the video "The Rainbow war" which is hard to find but fun to watch.
The Town of Left and the Town of Right are separated by a dotted yellow line, & no one on either side can remember how things got to be this way! One day, an unlucky citizen crosses the line--forcing the Order of the Ambidextrous Knights who guard the border to take action. Unfortunately, the only ammunition they have around is marshmallows--50,000 boxes worth! So begins the Marshmallow Incident, a tale of Left and Right, & Right and Wrong, with an incredibly silly but delicious dose of ...more
Sometimes, we divide ourselves up over silly things. How we pray. Who we want to marry. What we look like. What hand we write with... wait, what? (Actually, tangent, historically lefties HAVE been discriminated against, but that's another book for another day.)

Yes, let's go to the towns of Left and Right, where they each have half a clock, and half of a big dotted yellow line that NOBODY CAN CROSS. Why? Who knows, who cares, it's always been that way!

Until somebody does cross it. Not because the
Sarah Jost
This book does a good job of taking a simple lesson to the extreme to illustrate a point to children. Sometimes we form judgements against people just because they are different and put walls up for no reason. It is important to teach children to treat others fairly and respectfully even if they are different. Marshmallow incident portrays this lesson in a silly manner that will be interesting to kids of many different ages.
Two neighbor towns, one filled with left-handed people and one filled with right-handed people, never interact and their lands are split by a giant yellow dotted line that is never crossed. The sanctity of this line is protected by the Knights of the Dotted Yellow Line who also hoard marshmallows. The line is finally banished after a man falls over the line and the knights respond by pelting the towns with their only available weapon, marshmallows. Eventually, the people live together in one alo ...more
Mrs. Nelson's
Fans of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs have something to celebrate - Jan Barrett has written a new book, this one just as fun as her others! This fanciful tale is set in the town of Left and the town of Right. Left-handed people live in the town of Left and right-handed people live in the town of Right, and no one ever crosses the line that divides them. Everything is fine until someone stumbles over the dividing line - chaos ensues! Readers will be recognize the wonderfully detailed illustra ...more
Such a cute book! My first graders loved it!
Jan 24, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, humor
By the creative team who brought us Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, this story is a fitting sequel. The righties and lefties live in their respective towns and ne'er the twain shall meet. Until they do; and mayhem ensues. It's a funny tale and although I'm not sure there's a moral, if it does exist, it probably has to do with being inclusive and tolerant of people who are different from you. In any case, our girls thought it was a funny story.
A humorous story of a town divided into left and right handedness. The ambidextrous knights in charge of the upkeep for the yellow line separating the two towns have a stash of marshmallows from contest winnings. When a dispute arises between the towns the knights bring out the marshmallows to use as ammunition. The result is a shower of marshmallows covering both towns. The townspeople decide to vote on getting rid of the line. And the rest is history...
Tim Vandenberg
A cute, fun book with more excellent art by Ron Barrett (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs).

The art actually deserves (be sure to study every picture for little hidden surprises!)....But the story earns 3-stars for being predictable & shallow with not much in terms of a lesson, or commentary on the human experience, or anything else meaningful like that.

Recommended for those wanting a visually fun, though unmemorable, read.

From author of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs this is a quirky, hilarious stories full of fluff! But, it takes on the issue of people being resistant to change. Why is thier town dividied? Because it's always been that way. This story tells kids that things don't have to be accepted just because "that's the way it's always been." If its not a good idea, they can change it! I love that concept.
Nov 27, 2010 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: marshmallow lovers, lefties, righties, ambidextrous folks
This is a fun book about the land of left, right & the forbidden line of ambidextrous. This was especially fun for our family as my son now calls himself ambidextrous, opposed to my calling him a lefty, and I have to admit that he is very ambidextrous; at age 6 he still uses both hands for everything. The marshmallow uses were also very entertaining!
Dave Wilson
A classic case of why are fighting again? Oh, that;s right we don't really have a good reason to fight. As a lefthanded person I appreciate this story as us lefthanded folk have been sidelined for way too long. A fun "whiteout" of marshmellow mayhem that ends with two sides joining together and accepting their differences. 2009, fantasy.
The left-handed residents of t.he town of Left and the right-handed residents of the town of Right become friends after a marshmallow-throwing incident instigated by the knights of the Ambidextrous Order who guard the dotted yellow line that separates the two towns.

A great picture book for older students.
The town of Right and Left are not friends until the peace-keeping knights attack with marshmallows.

Interesting illustrations, which make the building look like old woodcuts ala Boston Massacre newsprint. The story was a little too star-bellied-sneetch for my taste.
Wonderfully clever and openly absurd story about neighborly relations. Even my little ones understood what the author was talking about.

The book is apparently out of print, but I bugged my library enough that they were able to get a ebook version of it.
i'd give it a 2 (didn't find the storyline very compelling) but my boys would give it at least a 4, so we'll let it stand as a 3. Maybe I should have read it aloud first, rather than reading on my own - perhaps I would have enjoyed it more had I gotten their reactions.
Reminds me a bit of the Berlin Wall, but in a way young children can understand. While I'm a huge fan of Cloudy With a Chance, this one doesn't live up to that book. Although the illustrations are almost as good.
This book was silly, but I found it too odd to be effective at conveying it's mixed message. I got the "Right handed"/"Left handed" schism, but what was going on with the Knights and the marshmallows?
Heather Spergel
The town of left and the town of right are separated by a yellow line. They always have been. Will they always be? Read to find out. Great illustrations and imaginative story. We all loved it!
My six year old loved this story. Silly knights, a silly century old rule that separted left-handed people from right-handed, and a silly marshmallow incident that brings the town together.
  • The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Never Smile at a Monkey: And 17 Other Important Things to Remember
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • Adèle & Simon in America
  • The Duchess of Whimsy
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic
  • I Can Be Anything!
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
  • I'm Still Here in the Bathtub: Brand New Silly Dilly Songs
  • Flight of the Dodo
  • Posy
  • Plump And Perky Turkey, A
  • My Name Is Not Alexander
  • La Princesa Dragon/the Loathsome Dragon (Cuadrada)
  • A Small Brown Dog with a Wet Pink Nose
  • Little Pink Pup
  • If I Built a Car
Judi Barrett is the author of many well-loved books for children, including Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Pickles to Pittsburgh, Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing, and Things That Are Most in the World. She teaches art to kindergarten students at a school in her Brooklyn, New York, neighborhood. And she usually doesn't mind going to the dentist!
More about Judi Barrett...
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing Pickles to Pittsburgh Never Take a Shark to the Dentist: (and Other Things Not to Do) Things That Are Most in the World