Start by marking “Confessions of Madame Psyche” as Want to Read:
Confessions of Madame Psyche

Confessions of Madame Psyche

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  6 reviews
1987 American Book Award Winner

This ambitious and enchanting novel is both modern-day epic and a work of great emotional and spiritual death. Bold in its historical scope, rich in colorful settings, and eminently readable, Confessions of Madame Psyche also reaches inward, toward quieter truths.

The novel is narrated by Mei0li Murrow, born in San Francisco in 1895, the illeg
Published May 1st 1998 by The Feminist Press at CUNY (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of Madame Psyche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of Madame Psyche

This is one of my favorite books! The premise of the book as a factual memoir is completely believable and I had to look many times at the "This is a work of fiction..." citation to be reminded that it was truly a novel and not a memoir. I'm fascinated by the premise that someone can be institutionalized in a psychiatric hospital on the say-so of a more powerful person. Mei makes the best of every situation she is in, and the twists and turns of her life are well laid out in this memoir!
PJ Swanwick
Award-winning novel is a magical fusion of spirituality and history

This 1987 American Book Award Winner by Dorothy A. Bryant masterfully blends the narrator's spiritual journey through the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, WWI in Europe, the Great Depression as a laborer and union organizer in California, and WWII from a pacifist's perspective, until she finally discovers spiritual peace in a psychiatric hospital.

Spiritual/metaphysical content: High. About ten pages into the 1919 - 1926 section, Br
Dee
I read it in a book group. We argued for a long time whether or not it was true. It is one of my all-time favorite books. It was all set in locations we knew well (except for the mental institution).
Laura Siegel
A little known book but amazing. What if you're a child raised to believe you're a psychic. How go you come to term with who you are and heal?
Inga
This is one of my favorite books ever! It took me YEARS to find the title again! I am so excited - I am going to have to read it again!

Angela
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!
Michael Asher
Michael Asher marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Dymphna Nolan
Dymphna Nolan marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
marcia vogelman
marcia vogelman marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Lauren  Proctor
Lauren Proctor marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
sophielinksu.com
sophielinksu.com marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Fat Climber
Fat Climber marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Hector
Hector marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Susan
Susan is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
Jan 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Kin of Ata Are Waiting for You Ella Price's Journal Miss Giardino The Test A Day in San Francisco