Start by marking “Hot Rod Hamster” as Want to Read:
Hot Rod Hamster

Hot Rod Hamster

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  505 ratings  ·  101 reviews
From Newbery Honor author Cynthia Lord and NYT bestselling illustrator Derek Anderson comes an INTERACTIVE read-aloud picture book for the very young-featuring an extremely lovable and adorable hams

Old car, new car, shiny painted blue car
Rust car, clean car, itty-bitty green car.
WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

Newbery Honor-author Cynthia Lord and New York Times bestselling illustr
Published February 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Rod Hamster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Rod Hamster

Carol Royce Owen
Somehow I missed this book when it came out. Having recently friended Cynthia Lord on FB, I kept seeing mention of it and thought I'd have to check it out. It was my good fortune to find it at the Scholastic Warehouse Book Sale. Only regret is that I didn't buy more copies, because I know this one is going to be a hit. With a race track in town, many of the kids at my school have racing in their blood, so I'm sure they will appreciate all of the details about picking the best tires, engine, body ...more
Bunnyjadwiga
Hot rod Hamster wants to drive fast and win the hot-rod race. A friendly Junkyard dog and his staff help him build the exactly right car, and off he goes.

The format is excellent for reading with kids, especially car-mad ones. The Junkyard dog offers about 6 choices, arranged in rhyme, for each step, from the chassis to the engine to the paint job, followed by "Which would you choose?" This gives a parent or other reader-out-loud a prompt to stop and ask the audience to respond, before going to
Heidi
I didn't think this would be a good storytime choice in the first couple of pages. But suddenly a sing-song rhyme came into my head as well as some voices for the characters and I felt like it might be a great hit! We'll see! Storytime aside, I think this is a fun, cute book that engages the reader in the Hamster's adventure.

Summer 2010 - I'm pretty sure I read this in the summer. Maybe it was fall. Either way I remember it going really well and I was sure I'd updated that I had read it. I had
Bari
I bought this book for my nephew and it quickly became one of his favorites. He loved it so much I purchased it for the children's section at my library.

The bright pictures and rhyming and repetitive text make this a perfect choice for young children. Today, I used this as a story time book for children ages 18 months to 3 years old and it was a big hit. The children loved it so much that I read the Hot Rod Hamster Truck Mania, book as well.

Adorable and fun.

Sarah Sammis
Jan 31, 2013 Sarah Sammis rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarah by: 100 Scope Notes
Hot Rod Hamster! by Cynthia Lord was mentioned on the 100 Scope Notes blog. It's about a hamster who goes to the junkyard to build his own hot rod for an upcoming race.

For each part of the car, the hamster is give some choices. Sometimes the book stops to ask the reader, "which would you chose?" and other times the selection is left the hamster.

That interactivity is a good start but it could have been taken further. Regardless of what choice the reader makes, the hamster makes his own choice too
Josiah
I was curious to see what Cynthia Lord would come up with to follow her captivating debut novel Rules. I loved that book, and was quite pleased with this new one, as well.

Hot Rod Hamster! is intended for a younger audience than Rules, of course. The rhyming text of the humorous narrative carries along the adventure of a little hamster searching for just the right tiny car parts to build just the right type of tiny hot rod car to win a race against other animals much bigger than itself, who driv
Beth
I didnt' think much of this loud corny book until I read it my sons, then aged 2 and 4. They loved the little furry hero who's looked down on by the racing dogs. They loved thinking about what car parts they would choose for their hot rod. They loved the happy ending.
Naomi
I love stories that have young reader participation. While this was good, it wasn't great. I didn't think it encouraged enough participation or that it might be above a young reader's head. Illustrations were cute enough though.
Mary
Early childhood picture book. Hot Rod Hamster is building a race car with junk yard parts. Humorous, interactive. Repetition of question to reader, "Which one would you choose?"
Nanci Booher
I've read this story to the kids at school and they liked it a lot. Needless to say, when bookfair time comes around, they are always on the lookout for these titles.
Angie
Cute book. Very simple writing. But I think it would be a good book to read with young children. Asks some interacting questions.
I love Hot Rod Hamster and all of his junkyard friends. I want them to build me a hot rod! This book is adooooorrrrrable!
Renee
May 28, 2014 Renee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreK-1st
3.5 I like that the book asks the reader to participate - can be a bit tricky with 20 students, but I made it work.
Sarah W
"Great day, grin day, build a car to win day, Cheer day, chase day, gonna have a race day!" A hamster's out to find a car for the big race at Four Paws Speedway. Several rodents and a bulldog help the hamster put a car into shape. From finding parts to deciding on a paint job, there's a lot of work to do! Hamster's been doing all the choosing, but the bulldog gets his pick in too--one that will keep the driver safe.

The repeated question of "Which Would You Choose?" adds a great interactive eleme
Melissa
Very fun; I like how the bouncy rhyme is interrupted every page by a non-rhyme question-and-answer sequence--I think it keeps the text really fresh for the listener. Nice bright colors, a repeating question that prompts dialogic reading (Which would YOU choose? The answer is not always obvious, which should allow for spirited debates: the hamster chose THIS one, but *I* would choose THIS one), and numbers on cars, letters on license plates, words on flags and labels and in word bubbles, and spec ...more
Brianna Crall
Fun adjectives, definitely a book for young car lovers.
Arminzerella
Ina
Little Hamster wants to enter the big hot rod race, but needs to find a car. In rhyming text with big, bold illustrations the junkyard dog helps Hamster put together his hot rod racer. There are many choices to be made and the text asks the reader to help hamster make them...which color, fat tires or thin?....and there are plenty of opportunities for a story time audience to not only chime in with answers but to make all sort of car/racing sounds. This is a thoroughly enjoyable read-aloud.
Amy
I checked this book out to read to my nephew. He is really into cars and racing--just a typical little boy. I really thought he would like this little book, but it really didn't capture his attention much at all! I'm not sure why--the text is fun, the pictures are bright and engaging, and it gives kids a chance to pick out the parts that they'd use to make their own race car. Nevertheless, it didn't grab my nephew. My niece, however, thought it was a cute book.
Keri
Category: Grades K-3, Book #24

In my classroom, this book in in my library. It is accessible for my students who are struggling readers. It is engaging because kids love the story about a racing hamster. There isn't much to build on comprehension. The hamster has to build his car and what he will look like on racing day. It's a fun read aloud, too, because kids get to pick what kind of racer they would be.

Award:
Colorado Children's Book Award Nominee
Bridget R. Wilson
There's a race and Hamster's going to enter. But first, he needs a car. He doesn't want just any car--he wants a hot rod. Off to the junk yard he goes to have his hot rod built. It's a beauty, but will it win the race?

What I thought: This is the epitome of a boy book. I loved it. The story is engaging and rhythmic. The speech bubbles add even more interest. The illustrations are great--very colorful with soft lines.

Story Time Theme: Cars
Tina
I bought this at the book fair at the beginning of the year because of the cute and funny pictures as well as the language in particular the adjectives that the hamster uses. The kids loved it and I did too. They got to choose how the hot rod was built and we discussed as a class why they chose that one. A sure reread every year and to use in grammar lessons. This could also be used for writing about a hot rod that they drew or made at home.
Tami
Join Hot Rod Hamster as he builds a car to win the big race. What type of vehicle will you pick? Which wheels will you chose? Don’t forget the decorations. How about big bright flames?

Hot Rod Hamster combines rhyming description words with the interactivity of asking the reading what things are their favorite or which item they’d choose. Both aspects made the book fun and entertaining. We did a lot of pretend while reading this one.
Kelly
My male students, particularly those in kindergarten through 2nd grade, have been going crazy for this book! It is a very cute book that involves two things popular with young boys: animals and cars. It's a great book for read-alound because it poses some questions about how readers would build a hot rod if they could. The illustrations are colorful, cartoonish, and vibrant, and they do their part to move the story along.
Jill
Meh.

Cynthia Lord, the amazing author of Rules and Touch Blue, wrote this picture book. My sister gave it to me in a huge box of random books that she didn't want in her house anymore.

My kids really liked this book but I thought it was kind of lame. I'm down with rhymes, but there was basically no plot and it wasn't that fun to read.

I wouldn't buy this book so I guess it's fine that it was donated to me!
Katie Curry
This engaging and rhyming book is about a racing hamster. The hamster has to build his car from parts he finds in a bulldog's junkyard. This book allows the students to interact with the story and choose what kind of car, wheels, parts, flames, and even the facial expression they want to have. I would use this book to discuss poetry. Great book for lower-level elementary classrooms!
Melanie
Hot Rod Hamster needs a Hot Rod Car!!! He visits the junkyard to find just the right one. He does and the team begins to rebuild it to be a true Hot Rod. Readers get to pick the car, the parts and the tires! Exciting!

And then it's racetime with the big guys. Hamsters not the least bit nervous. The race is close. Can Hamster make it to the finish line before the others?
Samantha
This is an interesting little book about a hamster that builds a little hot rod to race. The book goes through all the small parts that he needs to build a small car for himself. The illustrations are bright and colorful. Each page begins with a short rhyme about the part he needs for his car. In the end the little hamster wins the race against the other bigger animals.
Ellen
Feb 10, 2010 Ellen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K and 1sr graders
Shelves: picture-book
A hampster wants to build a car that perfect for his little body so he can win the big race. This story has catchy rhyming text and the repetitive line, "Which would you choose" allowing children to peruse the pictures andd pick out their favorite car parts. There are also many of comics style though bubble in the pictures, which are large and colorful
Mollie Smith
I think this book would appeal to the little guys in my class. It's about cars and racing and building a car. What makes it great though is that it's interactive. Throughout the book, the author poses the question, "What would you do?" and allows the reader to feel like they're in the book and building the car alongside the character.
  • Ready for Anything!
  • Spring Is Here
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Let's Do Nothing!
  • Chicks Run Wild
I'm the author of the children's book, RULES."
More about Cynthia Lord...
Rules Touch Blue Half a Chance Happy Birthday Hamster Shelter Pet Squad #1: Jelly Bean