Start by marking “The Rest Of Our Lives” as Want to Read:
The Rest Of Our Lives

The Rest Of Our Lives

Colm McKenna has led a guarded life. Gifted with a wintry soul and a photographer's eye, he can stop time as easily as he freezes water, or call down cold north winds. He thinks he is alone and unique in the world. Then, seemingly by accident, he meets handsome writer Aidan Gallagher, his opposite, a fiery young man who quickens Colm’s heart.

In this lighthearted, gay roma
Published (first published May 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Rest Of Our Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rest Of Our Lives

Among the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyCamp Hell by Jordan Castillo PriceWith Caution by J.L. LangleyChange of Heart by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Paranormals
265th out of 914 books — 719 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeTigers and Devils by Sean KennedyBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneSomething Like Summer by Jay BellLatakia by J.F.  Smith
M/M Books Written By Men
176th out of 1,103 books — 738 voters

More lists with this book...

Mel
Feb 13, 2016 Mel marked it as probably-not
Okay, granted... I might be totally overreacting, but in the few pages I've read of the sample I've encountered three things that made me at least uncomfortable:

You also ran like a girl.

WHAAAAT? Sorry, but I don't think that's funny at all.

***

At Pride...
I scrupulously avoided snapping shots of dog-collared boys on leashes...

Why? Do you think something's wrong with them? Since there is no explanation given, this comes off as judgemental at best.

***

"Are you the bottom? [...] The pattern has been
Paul
Dec 21, 2015 Paul rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent read for paranormal lovers!!!!
Ravyn
I really wanted to like this book. And after reading several very nice reviews, I thought I would like it. Unfortunately though, it just hasn't really lived up to my expectations.

I do very much like the idea of the story. The concept is absolutely appealing: two lovers chasing each other across time, fated to come together again and again -- who wouldn't love that? The writing isn't half bad, either. So for these reasons, I can definitely understand why others have enjoyed it so much.

So what wa
Jeff Erno
May 08, 2010 Jeff Erno rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-paranormal
Colm McKenna has lived his entire life feeling as if he’s different than everyone else. Not only is he gay, but he also possesses some very unique abilities which nobody else seems to have, and he fears that if anyone were to find out, he would be ostracized even further. Colm can freeze time. He can influence the weather. He can cause objects or people to immobilize. What he doesn’t know yet is that he is an elemental witch.

When Colm one day encounters another person who seems to also possess u
Charly
Nov 02, 2012 Charly rated it really liked it
Interesting and very funny, but I was just a little disappointed with the romance

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 8/10

PROS:
- This is a funny, funny book. The humor begins on page 1, really gets going by about page 10, and continues until the end. Here’s an early favorite: “I hated gay parties especially because the pressure was particularly acute at such affairs to be witty or charming, or just a hottie.”
- There are tons of little details that combi
Brandon Witt
Nov 13, 2014 Brandon Witt rated it it was amazing
Throughly enjoyed this adventure, and it kept me guessing! Even towards the end of the book, I thought I knew where it was going and I was begging it not to go there, fully expecting it to and leave me feeling a little abused for having read it. It didn't go there! It left me pleased and satisfied. I think one of the reasons I was so worried that it would go there (I'm not going to say exactly there `go there' is, as I don't want to spoil too much), is that Dan Stone did such a good job of ...more
Amanda
Dec 12, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
An adorable, witty story about two male witches destined to fall in love. I've always been fascinated by reincarnation, so this book was right up my alley. Although written in first person, both main characters were well fleshed out and came through surprisingly well. They each had their own quirks and issues, their individual personalities ringing clear amid all the drama. I'd certainly recommend this book to anyone looking for a sweet, classic romance with a paranormal twist.

For those of you l
Michael
4.25 Stars. It's not necessary but I would love a sequel of some sort.
Chris
Jun 01, 2010 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
to be published
Kassa
Feb 02, 2010 Kassa rated it it was amazing

This is a light-hearted and wonderfully charming love story, perfect for a summer afternoon. The contemporary romance with a paranormal twist is filled with witty prose, great one liners, and a cast of fabulous characters. The author’s love of magic is easily translated to the language and writing, leaving a fun and entertaining journey as these lovers from across the ages search for the clues to get it right this time. The sensuality and chemistry fairly sparks between the main charact
Christine Bode
Jun 01, 2011 Christine Bode rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Publisher: Lethe Press
Released: May 25, 2009
Pages: 228
ISBN-10: 1590211472
ISBN-13: 978-1590211472
Stars: 4.0

I’m pretty sure I must have been a gay man in a past life. I love gay men. No one else understands a woman or what she’s looking for in romance quite like a gay man. My first boyfriend in public school turned out to be gay, a major high school crush was gay; my first lover was bisexual and I spent the entire year from the summers of 1994 to 1995 in Vancouver hanging out with gay men. Man, do
Debbie
Independent review for Divine Magazine, I was gifted my copy of this book.

I loved the IDEA of this book. Imagine, living your life over and over but not remembering the one you love each time?

Colm can't remember Aiden. But Aiden knows Colm, has done since the dawn of time when Colm's soul resided in a female. Aiden just need Colm to remember.

As I said, I loved the idea of this story, loved that Aiden always left, loved that Colm decided her was going to leave this time. Of course, that didn't qu
Suze
Aug 26, 2016 Suze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suze by: Won in Love Bytes Competition from LP
I was a bit worried this would be too paranormal for me from the blurb, but actually it is a great blend of contemporary with added extra's! Enjoyed it a lot.
Whilst it is Colm and Aiden, it is really about Colm finding himself.
I liked that whilst 'the rest of our lives' usually refers to the future, in this case it was their previous incarnations. A bit of humour in the situations, lots of sadness and Colm always being left. Which is what sets him off on his real voyage of discovery!
Those wantin
Kevin Orth
Jul 09, 2012 Kevin Orth rated it it was amazing
I have to admit a couple things before getting to my review. I am both ADHD and an avid reader. This is a tricky combination that results in my getting really bored really fast with story lines that don’t move along well. Also, if story get all bogged down with excruciating detail I can’t help but skim until the action gets good again. Well, I can honestly say I was hooked on this story within the first few pages and ended up reading every line all the way through.

It is a fun combination of roma
Mickey Hoffman
Aug 13, 2010 Mickey Hoffman rated it it was amazing
I think this book is in the Romance category, although it has some SciFi and mystery aspects to it, but since I've read a total of one romance novel in my life, I'm not exactly certain. The pair of lovers in this book happen to be men, and I suppose you could also say the book is about gay witches, but that makes the book sound comic for some reason, and even though I did laugh at some of the clever dialogue, the overall tone of the book is as serious as love itself. I was deeply moved by the ...more
Kate McMurray
Apr 07, 2010 Kate McMurray rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I loved this book. The only part I didn't like was that I wanted there to be more when it ended. Not to be all gushy, but there's so much working well here: the narrative voice, some interesting world building, a lot of likable characters. I found Aidan to be a bit of an enigma right through the end of the novel, but I think that's okay as the point is that this is Colm's story, it's about the choices he makes for himself.
Shierra
I so want to love this. Love the magic, the story, the settings, etc... but i just dont feel the love of MC's for each other. I dont know why. Theres seems to be a wall between them.

But i might reread this in the future, and hoping to see their feeling more clearly

Gaa-chan
Why did I wait so long to read it?! Sequel please!

Audible Edition:

Story - 4.5 stars
Performance - 4.5 stars
Overall - 4.5 stars bumped up to 5 stars
Fioresan
Fioresan rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2011
Nik
Nik rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2011
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2014
Dolores
Dolores rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
Nichem
Nichem rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2009
Roger Hyttinen
Roger Hyttinen rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2011
Pushubuu
Pushubuu rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2009
Carlton
Carlton rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Micha
Micha rated it really liked it
May 24, 2015
Carlos
Carlos rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Hidden Magic (Sentinels #1)
  • Broken Bones, Mended Hearts
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • Master Of Obsidian (Master Chronicles, #1)
  • Ghost Star Night (Sea of Stars, #1)
  • Fugly (connected by Jackson Spey #9)
  • Liquid Glass
  • Trammel (Foundations of Magic #2)
  • Blind Desire
  • To The Max (To The Max #1)
  • Hero
  • Aloes
  • Dreamlands (Dreamlands #1)
  • Paul's Dream (Touching Fire, #1)
  • Scarred
  • Many Roads Home
  • Aftermath
  • Cethe
Dan Stone was born in Lincoln and brought up in Birmingham. He studied at the University of Oxford and since 1999 has taught at Royal Holloway, University of London. Dan is a historian of modern Europe with particular interests in the Holocaust, comparative genocide, fascism, race theory, and the history of anthropology.
More about Dan Stone...

“...And anyone on whose screen I did manage to appear, generally proved to have a serious malfunction in their operating system, if not outright clinical issues. "Are you a good glitch or a bad glitch?" I had started wondering...” 0 likes