Start by marking “Owly, Volume 4: A Time to Be Brave (Owly, #4)” as Want to Read:
Owly, Volume 4:  A Time to Be Brave (Owly, #4)

Owly, Volume 4: A Time to Be Brave (Owly #4)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,063 ratings  ·  65 reviews
The fourth graphic novel in the award-winning, all-ages series tells the story of new visitor to the forest. He may be misunderstood because of how he looks, but things aren't always what they seem, and everyone soon finds out that the power of friendship can fix just about anything. Relying on a mixture of symbols, icons and expressions to tell his silent stories, Andy Ru ...more
Published (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Owly, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owly, Volume 4

Halley Todd
Owly: A Time to be Brave, is a visually simplistic, yet whimsical, graphic novel about a cute owl and his friends overcoming their visceral reaction to a new creature living in their forest. The author's approach to conveying heavy themes, such as acceptance, through only visual media is a nice change from heavily text-based didactic tales. Young readers will delight in the expressive drawings that convey the thoughts of the characters so effectively. This novel is a great way of starting conver ...more
Courtney Dyer
In volume 4 of Andy Runton’s charming wordless graphic novel series, Owly, Vol 4: A Time to Be Brave, we continue to follow the adventures of Owly and his best friend Wormy as they learn an important life lesson: accepting others despite their differences.

In this book, we meet Opossum- a new creature to the forest who is very shy and often misunderstood because of the way he looks. Owly and Wormy try to reach out to him, but again, the animal is scared of Owly. Through acts of kindness, Owly and
Christopher
More Owly! I grabbed this for my daughter's Easter basket and was not dissappointed. Having not yet read Volumes 1 & 2, I found that this volume gave us some more backstory and insight into Owly and Wormy's relationship.

This time the new comer to Owly's neck of the woods is a little less timid and mistaken as a dragon by over-imaginative Wormy.

I'm beginning to wonder if Wormy getting bonked on the head is a running theme however.
Mrdanallen
I thought this was the first book in the series when my librarian handed me this delightful graphic novel. A Time to Be Brave is the story of Owly (an owl) Wormy (a worm) and their other animal friends as they confront their fear and prejudices. I make it sound way more heavy than it is.

I'm a huge fan of comics and graphic novels and I think Owly is deservedly recognized as some of the best in the genre. It is aimed squarely at elementary school age children but it is unique in that it is equall
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Jun 29, 2013 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jayaprakash by: jayaprakash@gmail.com
A sad opossum is all alone and wants someone to play with! I could have cried for days! Luckily Owly and his pal Wormy realise Opossum isn't a big scary dragon and wind up making friends with him. Adorable art and very eloquent wordless storytelling about the importance of friendship.
Jessica
This wordless graphic novel is so cute you might just die. I mean it, Owly and his little friends are so ADORABLE you just want to SQUEEZE THEM! My seven year old loved it as well, and now he wants to get the others!
Doug Cornelius
Owly is a cute puffball of a bird and is almost all eyes. The other creatures that populate the stories, including a worm, smaller birds and lightning bugs, are also cute and expressive. There is nothing to actually read in these books other than a few sentences from the books Owly reads. Dialogue takes place through pictographs symbolizing concepts like home and ideas. It is great to take my geeklet through the process of understanding the images as we turn the pages.

I received a copy of the fo
Kirito
Andy Runton's Owly Volume 4: A Time to Be Brave by Andy Runton is a popular book for ALL AGES. This book talks about the kindness of this kind owl named Owly and his pal Wormy who had just finished reading a fairy tale book about a knight defeating a dragon. Wormy is scared of the dragon but Owly reminds him that there's no such thing as a dragon. But the problem is, when they see a possum, Wormy thinks he's a dragona and the possum is scared of Owly. Will Owly be friends with the possum and wil ...more
Viv
As a child, I would have absolutely loved this. As a teenager, I still love it! Each and every volume of Owly has been amazing and joyful. It tells of the lengths one would go to obtain and maintain a friendship with someone using cute characters!

My favourite character is Owly (of course, but I've been an owl fan for years), but I also really like Wormy. Wormy's very kind. Even when he had to give up a few things to make someone else happy, he smiled and wiped away his tears for a better cause.
Brandy
Owly's back, as adorable as ever. This volume is a little harder to follow than previous stories, if only because Runton is presenting more complicated ideas in his pictorial speech. It's hard to get across "You put up this cage and now I'm stuck and can't get what I want and I'm hurt so I'm mad at you" when you don't have any text to work with.

Even more than the friend-positive, help-others-even-if-they're-mean-to-you message, this book is about cute. Really, really cute. I mean it. Runton may
Christine
I found this book while I happened to be looking for a different one. Owly is wordless except for a few brief frames. It used questions marks to the characters' confusion and worry, and it used an exclamation mark for surprise and excitement. The stor focused on friendship and helping those in need. It showed how animals can be misunderstood like the oppossum who I wasn't even sure what it was until the story clarified it for me. As I read, I found myself becoming more aware of the strategies I ...more
Dolly
Jan 14, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is the second book in the Owly series by Andy Runton. I had tried to get our girls interested in this series last summer, but neither were particularly interested, so I let it drop. Our youngest brought home this book from her elementary school library and we all took turns reading it.

It's a cute, almost wordless graphic novel. I didn't realize that it was the fourth in the series - we'll have to go back and read the others. It's a fun, fast read and will appeal to children who enjoy readi
Hannah Givens
My favorite aside from the first one, because this one has an adorable little possum in it. There are also several separate threads in the story that work together well.
Lance
I liked the pictures and it was cool that they used pictures more instead of words. I'd recommend it for kids who are starting to read and older.
MissAnnThrope
31 January 2013

Owly, Vol. 4: A Time to Be Brave is probably my favorite book in the series thus far. With each volume, Andy Runton amazes me how his simplistic, adorable artwork can convey such thought-provoking lessons with nary a word.

In this volume, Owly and Wormy taught us about bravery and kindness. I want to know where this forest is because all of the creatures are so thoughtful and kind. I'd love to live in their world. I adored the possum so, so much. I love these stories and hope ther
Isaac cambero
this book was funny and i liked that there were no words and that you had to come up with what the characters are going to say
Emkoshka
Another new friend to add to the mix; things start out a little rocky as usual, with Owly again having to overcome the misconceptions and prejudices aimed at him for being an owl. But Wormy also needs to overcome his fear of the unknown.
Chris
My first thought was to say the Owly tales illustrate the power of optimism, but that’s true only so much as Owly’s attitude motivates his actions. Really, this is a series of stories about unrelenting giving, compassion, and friendship. Very simple, wordless stories with adorable art (I say adorable as someone who doesn’t do saccharine or cloying). Following the sequence and understanding all the messages implied by the symbols that stand in for words when dialogue occurs can still be a sophist ...more
Tawnie
Grades: 2 to 5 Genre: Graphic Novel, Animal
Owly and his friend Wormy are reading a fairy tale and get scared by the dragon in it. To cheer themselves up they decide to go out side. While there, Wormy sees a shadow lurking and is afraid that it is the dragon from the book. Instead it is the shy Possy, just wanting to join the fun. While at first this graphic novel seems quite simple as it relies mostly on the images alone, the story told is one of friendship and understanding. Even the most strug
Susie
I've enjoyed all the Owly graphic novels, which are about a loveable owl who does good deeds and makes friends with worms, hummingbirds, and possums. The artwork is charming and the lesson of each story always rings true. I didn't like this latest installment as well, I think because I found it harder to follow. The Owly books contain almost no text (the characters communicate with symbols and pictures), and for some reason, it took me a long time to decipher the dialogue, which made the story h ...more
Catherine
This book is so precious <3
Eden
There is a new animal living in the forest, but he is very misunderstood. After Owly and friends read a fairy tale about a Dragon, Wormy becomes afraid of Dragons. When Wormy sees the new animal, Possum, Wormy thinks he is a Dragon and becomes afraid. Owly, Wormy and friends later learn that you can't judge by appearances.

This is a really nice series. Owly is a kind and caring owl, wanting to befriend everyone he meets. I enjoyed this volume just as much as the others.
Kate Hastings
May 13, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 2-4 graphic novel
Shelves: graphic_novels
Wordless graphic novel-- and FUN. Owly and his worm friend read a book about dragons-- which makes them start to fear their own shadows! They play ball outside and end up hurting a tree, which they have to fix and put a fence around. When they go to bed, the hear the ball bouncing... but nobody is outside that they know of. Could it be a dragon?

I'm starting to get the hang of how to read these. It actually takes a lot of concentration to figure out what's going on.
Mothwing
Very sweet wordless tale that seems perfect for all sorts of applications at school for the kids who can't speak the language very well yet. It doesn't have very high entrance requirements and I like books that don't, that welcome all readers. Perfect for class libraries even for older kids.
Emily
Summary: Owly and his friends learn about an Opossum, and that he's just as scared of them as they are of him.

Review: A sweet story about understanding and of course bravery. Though there are no words, it takes familiarity with story structure and at least punctuation to grasp the story line.

Postive review from Book Links, with reccomendations for being used by a teaching tool. Teacher Librarian calls this episode of Owly,"touching and sincere as always.
Sandra Stiles
This was the first graphic novel I had ever read. I was able to follow the plot and understand why students of all grades like them. I feel that this and other graphic novels will be an asset to my bookshelves. I believe it will be especially beneficial to my new ESOL students. The message of not fearing what we don't understand is something my students will be able to understand by reading the pictures. I gave this book a 5
Jessica
Okay, I realize every Owly book is pretty much the exact same story with different animal friends, but that's what makes them so endearing. This time, it's a possum's turn to be scared of Owly. As usual, everything turns out lovely in the end. The sheer cuteness of this series makes me want to squeal, but the sad moments (mostly of Owly being misunderstood as a predator) make this more than a cutesy, mindless romp.
Jess
Didn't really dig this one as much as the others. The plot felt recycled from earlier books
1) Animal A is scared of animal B
2) Animal B is a natural predator of Animal A
3) Animal B gets sad
4) Animal A gets hurt.
5) Animal B swoops in to help
6) Raccoon is visited.
7) Aniamls figure out what's going on with each other.
8) Happy

Not bad, just not new.
Raina
This is the first full gn I've read of the Owly series. I appreciate the lack of textual dialogue in the series - it makes it more accessible to a younger audience. In fact, the lack of text makes me concentrate harder on interpreting the pictures illustrating the dialogue. In some ways, though this element is unique and very cool, it took me out of the story.
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)
  • Korgi, Book 1: Sprouting Wings
  • Babymouse: The Musical (Babymouse, #10)
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta (Lunch Lady, #3)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 6: True Things Adults Don't Want Kids to Know (Amelia Rules! #6)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • Scary Godmother: Omnibus
  • Pinky & Stinky
  • Chicken and Cat
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 2
  • Flight Explorer, Volume 1
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
Andy is the creator of the breakout all-ages series of graphic novels, Owly, featuring a kind-hearted little owl who's always searching for new friends and adventure. Relying on a mixture of symbols and expressions to tell his silent stories, Andy?s work showcases both his gift for characterization and his love of birds, animals, and the outdoors. His animated and heartwarming style has made him a ...more
More about Andy Runton...

Owly (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Owly, Vol. 1:  The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer
  • Owly, Vol. 2: Just a Little Blue
  • Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons
  • Owly, Vol. 5: Tiny Tales
  • Owly Volume 6: A Fishy Situation (Owly, #6)
  • Owly & Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!
  • Owly & Wormy, Bright Lights and Starry Nights
  • Owly: Splashin' Around
  • Owly: Breakin' The Ice
  • Owly: Heartstrings and Ribbons
Owly, Vol. 1:  The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer Owly, Vol. 2: Just a Little Blue Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons Owly, Vol. 5: Tiny Tales Owly & Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!