Start by marking “Elvis and the Grateful Dead (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Elvis and the Grateful Dead (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #2)

Elvis and the Grateful Dead (A Southern Cousins Mystery #2)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  37 reviews
In the second work in Webb's mystery series, Callie Valentine and her incomparable Basset hound, Elvis, must uncover a murderer who's leaving residents of the King's hometown all shook up.
Published October 1st 2009 by Kensington (first published September 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Elvis and the Grateful Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elvis and the Grateful Dead

C.C. Thomas
This is not my usual type of book so I feel my review might be skewed. Usually, I like mysteries that a bit more hard-hitting, ones that focus on actual crimes solved by detectives or police. I also very much dislike books that try too hard to be "southern". For those reasons, I am scoring this book pretty low.

Callie is a hairdresser living in Tupelo, Mississippi, during an Elvis festival. As part of that festival, she is the hairdresser for the impersonators. Her sidekick is a basset-hound name
David Ward
Elvis and the Grateful Dead (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #2) by Peggy Webb (Kensington 2009)(Fiction - Mystery): words simply fail me. I am appalled that the author thought it cute to write a novel about a talking basset hound. I am agog that she was able to find a publisher for this drivel. I am aghast that the author would so debase her southern heritage as to parody it thusly. I have never been accused of taking a highbrow approach to humor nor have I been accused of being thin-skinned or una ...more
Nicky
After reading Elvis and the Dearly Departed I was eager to read the next book in the series and I got it for my kindle straight away.

Elvis and the Grateful Dead continues just after where Elvis and Dearly Departed left off and Callie and Lovie look set to end up in the middle of another murder investigation when during the Tupelo Elvis Impersonator competition an impersonator dies. Well one could of been natural causes but 2, that would be murder right?

I enjoyed this book but not as much as Elvi
Libby
Elvis lives! Elvis, the basset hound, that is. He is not only "nothin' but a hound dog," but the actual reincarnation of The King, and the narrator of this romping, charming series. He is assisted in his narration by Callie Valentine, who fondly imagines she is his owner, but Elvis knows who runs things. Callie's family runs a funeral business in Tupelo, best known as the birthplace of Elvis' first incarnation. Each year, Tupelo hosts a festival with a contest for Elvis impersonators. It's a big ...more
Bonnie McHenry
Ok, let's begin with the fact that I was able to figure out the "who done it" pretty early in the book. Put that aside and you have lots of hilarious situations Callie and Lovie subject themselves to all in solving the murders. You also still have a sense of family commitment and bonding along with the continually bantering that exist between Callie and Lovie, Callie and Ruby Nell (her mom) and Callie and her soon to be ex hubby Jack! Elvis the dog keeps me totally entertained with his outside o ...more
Kate
I bought this book on a whim, not really expecting much. But in the end I really enjoyed it! Callie and her cousin are helping out at the state fair's Elvis impersonator competition. When the impersonators start dropping like flies and Callie's cousin (who catered the event) comes under suspicion everyone rallies to clear her name. My favorite part of the book was Callie's basset hound Elvis, who think he really is THE Elvis, reincarnated. Every 3rd chapter is told from his point of view- it was ...more
Susan
Narrator Callie and the rest of the eccentric Valentine family are helping out at the annual festival in Tupelo when the Elvis impersonators start dying. Callie's beloved cousin Lovie seems to be the leading suspects, so with one successful investigation under their belts, the two women decide that they will find the murderer. Both have love troubles, too--Callie with her irresistible soon-to-be ex-husband Jack (he's determined not to let the divorce go through). Unknowingly, they have the help ...more
Kim Baker
I will admit...when I started these books, I just wasn't sure I would stick with them. But I fell in love with all the characters page by page. I bought this book quickly, for the most part, because my mother asked for it and, since she was going to be spending time recovering from pretty major surgey, I obliged. The Grateful Dead sealed my love affair with the Southern Cousins mysteries. I am hooked. Memphis Mambo is on my wish list just waiting for me to click buy. As a Southerner myself, I lo ...more
Liz
I love this series but I in general love any book with a basset hound.
Danni
Jan 19, 2015 Danni marked it as to-read
Dollar Tree buy.
Crystal Chm
I really liked the pace of this book and the characters. The murder plot was a little on the thin side but the side plots were very entertaining. I originally thought that the chapters by the dog, Elvis, would be cheesy, but they were some of my favorite chapters.

Reading the first book in the series is definitely recommended, though I believe this 2nd book is better than the first. I'm looking forward to reading the next one in the near future.
Kristi, A Book Fanatic
This was a cute book!! I rate it a solid 3.5 stars ... Callie's family are fun to read about, and the reincarnated Elvis Presley as Elvis, the Bassett hound, adds lots of charm to this series. Another thing that I loved was reading about places that I easily recognized around the Tupelo, Mississippi area. Fans of cozy mysteries will greatly enjoy this series!!
Kim
As stated in other reviews of this book, not as funny as the first, but an ok read. Its light, is humerous, its an easy read. Its not deep, its not thought provoking, its not going to stay on your mind. But its entertaining and a fast read. There are more in the series that are written but not out yet, I plan on continuing the series.
Rexanna
I liked this one even more than the first book in the series. Elvis is a basset hound who believes he is the reincarnation of Elvis Presley. He is as charming as the singer. This is a good book to read anytime you want to try and figure who did it and be amused by the host of characters that could have! Enjoy the chase.
Wonderbunny
I enjoyed this but found the stereotypes got a little annoying after a while. I also still don't see what the draw of Jack is. It so far is pretty single dimensional and that doesn't make me want to have Callie with him. At least the vet seems to have more then just a jealous mode.
Elizabeth
Yet another Elvis the Basset Hound story I loved. I really enjoyed the mystery part- but I find the relationship between Jack and Callie frustrating. I also am very confused about Ruby Nell's behavior in this book. But I did like it and I had trouble putting it down.
Norma
I didn't finish this one - that says a lot. Read about 3 or 4 chapters and found I didn't care, and really didn't want to be privy to the thoughts of Elvis, the bassett hound. Not every chapter was narrated by the dog - it alternated between the owner and the dog.
Barb
A cute cozy mystery. It helps that one of the main characters is a Basset Hound named Elvis. I love a book that makes me laugh. There is no shortage of that in this book. This is the second book in the series. If there is a third, I am sure I will read it!
Janet
What a bunch of fluff. I mean that in the nicest way, but this is not the book you want to read if you desire any kind of cerebral stimulation. It’s perfect if you want to lounge on the couch and procrastinate doing your dishes.
Mendy
I love Elvis. The supporting characters make this one worth reading. I really wish the romance between Callie & her almost ex Jack would go somewhere or just end already though.
Christy
Don't bother going beyond the title. No character development, the author repeats herself constantly, and way too many elements of a Stephanie Plum book are thrown in with no polish.
Courtney
Was not as good as the first one... a lot more seriousness I guess. However, I still laughed my butt off and cannot wait to read the next one!!!!
Michele
A book where the dog does some of the chapters, writing in first person and claiming to be Elvis reincarnated? I don't think so.
Barbara Hodges
I always love seeing what is going to happen and how Elvis the basset hound takes part in the outcome.
Janeene
2.5 stars - I didn't enjoy this one as much as first one.....but do like the characters

Marge
Great sequel to Elvis and the Dearly Departed!! It's a funny, laugh-out-loud, quickly read book.
Susan
Loved it!! The Southern cousins are at it again. Laugh out loud and great story.
Lynn Shurden
Fun read, especially if you're familiar with the Tupelo area and love dogs!
Diana S
Elvis is as cute as ever!!! I give it 3.5 stars.
Lainy
This was a great read that made me laugh
  • Reel Murder (A Talk Radio Mystery #2)
  • Murder Grins and Bears It (Gertie Johnson #2)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Death Takes the Cake (A Della Cooks Mystery #2)
  • Harrowing Hats
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Short Squeeze: A Mystery
  • Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #2)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Antiques to Die For (Josie Prescott, #3)
  • You Better Knot Die (Crochet Mystery, #5)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • The Cracked Pot (Clay and Crime, #2)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #4)
Peggy Webb is a USA Today Bestselling author from Mississippi. She has written 70 novels, 200 magazine humor columns, 2 screenplays. Called a "comedic genius" by her peers, she writes romantic comedy and the hilarious Southern Cousins Mysteries as Peggy Webb. She writes literary fiction under the pen names Anna Michaels and Elaine Hussey. Pat Conroy calls her literary work "astonishing" and Kathie ...more
More about Peggy Webb...

A Southern Cousins Mystery (6 books)
  • Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1)
  • Elvis And The Memphis Mambo Murders
  • Elvis and the Tropical Double Trouble
  • Elvis and the Blue Christmas Corpse
  • Elvis and the Bridegroom Stiffs (Book 6, Southern Cousins Mystery)
Donovan's Angel (Donovan's of the Delta #1) Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1) Touched By Angels (Loveswept, No 538) Elvis And The Memphis Mambo Murders Elvis and the Tropical Double Trouble