Start by marking “Sacrifice of the Widow (Lady Penitent #1)” as Want to Read:
Sacrifice of the Widow (Lady Penitent #1)

Sacrifice of the Widow (Forgotten Realms: Lady Penitent #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  794 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Goddesses vie for the soul of people...

Halisstra Melarn, convert to the cause of the goddess Eilistraee, was sent to the deepest depths of the Outer Planes to kill the demon goddess she once worshiped, but instead was transformed into a hideous creature bent to the vengeful will of her former mistress.

For the Queen of the Demonweb Pits not only survived her Silence but evo
Published January 30th 2007 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sacrifice of the Widow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacrifice of the Widow

Brenda Cothern
Aug 01, 2015 Brenda Cothern rated it it was amazing
Lisa Smedman’s new book, Sacrifice of the Widow, is the first of three in the new Forgotten Realms (FR) series, The Lady Penitent. This series is a must read for any Forgotten Realms fan. It brings about the Drow transformations that change the world of the Forgotten Realms forever and offers the story behind the Drow Pantheon changes in the Forgotten Realms Role Play Game books.

The two Drow goddesses, Loth and Eilistraee, mother and daughter, play a game of sava where the moves they make upon t
Jason Folkens
Mar 15, 2011 Jason Folkens rated it it was amazing
This book was one of those books that I had difficulty putting down. The author clearly spent just as much time on the protagonists as she did the antagonists. Not only that, but there are a few characters that appear to be playing both sides in the struggle, and the author unfolds the story brilliantly. The ending was absolutely fantastic, as it's perfectly set up for it's sequel.

What's more, this book holds answers to questions that you might have with regard to pantheon changes in forgotten r
Adam Duclos
Apr 26, 2016 Adam Duclos rated it really liked it
Andrew
Apr 06, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
After ruining the war of the spider queen series, I swore I would never read anything else by Lisa Smedman. However, seeing that this book continued the series I couldn't resist seeing what happened next and it helped that I found it at a used bookstore. Lisa proves in this book that she can write an interesting story after all. Dispite quite a number of glaring errors concerning the drow, she pulled off an intriguing novel.
Steven Cole
Aug 16, 2011 Steven Cole rated it really liked it
Hey, now, this was pretty fun. It's a reasonably fast read, not a whole lot of depth, and yet with characters that feel compelling in their own way.

Smedmen spent less time with the Dungeons & Dragons minutae here than she did in "Extinction", but pieces of D&D lore are there for those with the background to spot them. (Which is fun..)
Michael Ware
Dec 23, 2009 Michael Ware rated it really liked it
Do I love my fantasy novels! Good follow-up to the War of the Spider Queen series. I believe there is another series follwoing the War of the Spider Queen, it is hard to follow the timelines with Forgotten Realms, they are changing the setting through several series.
Terry Hunt
Feb 14, 2015 Terry Hunt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beauty of drow elves

I would like to say that I enjoyed this book. If you like the drow elves give this one a try...but first start with the war of the spider queen series, else this wont make any sense. I am tired of the whole drizzt story as it seems drizzt is a god like character who dies then comes back. Well this book has drow heroins who face a more gritty situations
Also it has great characters, even the villians, who I was getting to really like. Lisa also shows the duality of the dro
Gustav Grotius
I enjoy stories about the drow. This one is rather interesting, since it highlight. the relationship and mistrust between the males and females. I enjoyed it.
Jimmy
Feb 04, 2016 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
Lisa Smedman is one of my favorite authors from the War of the Spider Queen saga. The drow continue to be the most and best interesting characters, since my discovery of the Drizzt Do’Urden novels. The Lady Penitent trilogy delivers all the pain, horror, blood & gore, evil, and deception that I’ve come to love and expect from the drow elves.
Two rival deities play a dangerous sava game since Lolth’s return from the Silence, in their struggle for dominance over the drow.
Along with the diffe
Mike
Sep 15, 2012 Mike rated it it was ok
I found this on my shelf. My nephew had sent it to me, added into an order, to get to the free shipping threshold. I thought, "This might be a good palate-cleanser to Kavalier & Klay." It's not good. I don't expect that anyone thinks it would be. I expect this would be unreadable for anyone not familiar with the tropes but it's fun reading descriptions of D&D rules acted out. Characters show up and die usually only lasting for a few pages. I won't be adding the name "Smedman" to my perso ...more
Graham
Dec 06, 2010 Graham rated it really liked it
The book was good. It provides the darkness one is looking for when reading about the Drow, but it lacks a little what i am used to from Lisa Smedman. To me it seemed like there was a lot of background and getting to know the characters for the bulk of the novel versus seeing them in action. Granted this is only the first in a series I am hoping the others pick up the pace. When it comes to plot it had a good big picture idea, but the details fell short. Not hearing how Vhearaun was killed was r ...more
KostasAt
Apr 06, 2015 KostasAt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7.5/10

Η άμεση συνέχεια της εξαλογία από τον πόλεμο με την βασίλισσα αράχνη. Η Smedman κάνει καλή δουλεία σε αυτή την "αναγκαστική" συνέχεια της ιστορίας, η γραφή της είναι καλή και αναπτύσσει καλά τους χαρακτήρες.
Γενικά η τριλογία είναι καλή με κάποιες ωραίες ανατροπές στον κόσμο των θεών.
Efren Lawag
Dec 10, 2012 Efren Lawag rated it it was amazing
Sacrifice of the Widow is definitely a must read for fans of high fantasy. My lack of knowledge about Forgotten Realms lore didn't stop me from enjoying the book either, which is a good thing since it's hard to get engaged with similar books based on existing lore.
Paul
Jul 12, 2007 Paul rated it really liked it
This book started out kinda slow, but after the first fifty pages or so it really took off, making it difficult for me to put down the farther I read. Smedman created a wonderfully stressful plot that has an amazing impact on the Forgotten Realms world.
Tony
Mar 22, 2009 Tony rated it really liked it
Not bad. Continues the War of the Spider Queen series, which was pretty good in its own right. An easy read. Some interesting new characters are introduced and some pretty powerful characters you have heard of in the past take center stage.
Kristin
Sep 27, 2010 Kristin rated it it was amazing
I loved this series, it was so cool to read more about the mysterious Drow and learn more about their gods. The ending was very good, I really enjoyed reading this series.
Nick Jonick
Mar 06, 2016 Nick Jonick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Πετυχημενη συνεχεια του WOTSQ.
David
Sep 10, 2013 David rated it liked it
Forgot how fun this series was.
Pennies
May 04, 2013 Pennies rated it it was amazing
Shelves: forgotten-realms
So Amazing!
Patrick lane
Patrick lane marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Tokio
Tokio added it
Apr 28, 2016
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Geraldo Macedo
Geraldo Macedo rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Taígo Brito
Taígo Brito rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
James
James rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Elias
Elias rated it it was amazing
Zachary Taylor
Zachary Taylor marked it as to-read
FrabjousAlice
FrabjousAlice marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
  • The Gossamer Plain (Forgotten Realms: The Empyrean Odyssey, #1)
  • Forsaken House (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #1)
  • Scream of Stone (Forgotten Realms: Watercourse, #3)
  • Undead (Forgotten Realms: The Haunted Lands, #2)
  • Neversfall (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #1)
  • Darkvision (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #3)
  • The Sorcerer (Forgotten Realms: Return of the Archwizards, #3)
  • Crypt of the Moaning Diamond (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #4)
  • Frostfell (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #4)
  • Shadowbred (Forgotten Realms: The Twilight War, #1)
  • The Howling Delve (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #2)
  • Obsidian Ridge (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #2)
Lisa was very much the tomboy growing up in Vancouver, British Columbia--playing in the woods behind her house, building tree forts, damming the creek, playing army with GI Joe dolls, swinging on ropes, playing flashlight tag, building models and go-carts (which she later rode down the street). She also liked reading science fiction novels from the 1940s, the Doc Savage series, and the Harriet the ...more
More about Lisa Smedman...

Forgotten Realms: Lady Penitent (3 books)
  • Storm of the Dead (Lady Penitent #2)
  • Ascendancy of the Last (Lady Penitent #3)