Sacrifice of the Widow (Lady Penitent #1)

Sacrifice of the Widow (Forgotten Realms: Lady Penitent #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  606 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Goddesses vie for the soul of people...

Halisstra Melarn, convert to the cause of the goddess Eilistraee, was sent to the deepest depths of the Outer Planes to kill the demon goddess she once worshiped, but instead was transformed into a hideous creature bent to the vengeful will of her former mistress.

For the Queen of the Demonweb Pits not only survived her Silence but evo...more
Published January 30th 2007 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sacrifice of the Widow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacrifice of the Widow

Shadowdale by Scott CiencinDarkwalker on Moonshae by Douglas NilesAzure Bonds by Jeff GrubbDissolution by Richard Lee ByersPool of Radiance by James M. Ward
Forgotten Realms 22222
49th out of 54 books — 15 voters
Homeland by R.A. SalvatoreThe Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition by R.A. SalvatoreThe Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition by R.A. SalvatoreDissolution by Richard Lee ByersElfshadow by Elaine Cunningham
Best Forgotten Realms Novels
121st out of 123 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Brenda Cothern
Lisa Smedman’s new book, Sacrifice of the Widow, is the first of three in the new Forgotten Realms (FR) series, The Lady Penitent. This series is a must read for any Forgotten Realms fan. It brings about the Drow transformations that change the world of the Forgotten Realms forever and offers the story behind the Drow Pantheon changes in the Forgotten Realms Role Play Game books.

The two Drow goddesses, Loth and Eilistraee, mother and daughter, play a game of sava where the moves they make upon t...more
Jason Folkens
This book was one of those books that I had difficulty putting down. The author clearly spent just as much time on the protagonists as she did the antagonists. Not only that, but there are a few characters that appear to be playing both sides in the struggle, and the author unfolds the story brilliantly. The ending was absolutely fantastic, as it's perfectly set up for it's sequel.

What's more, this book holds answers to questions that you might have with regard to pantheon changes in forgotten r...more
Andrew
After ruining the war of the spider queen series, I swore I would never read anything else by Lisa Smedman. However, seeing that this book continued the series I couldn't resist seeing what happened next and it helped that I found it at a used bookstore. Lisa proves in this book that she can write an interesting story after all. Dispite quite a number of glaring errors concerning the drow, she pulled off an intriguing novel.
Steven Cole
Hey, now, this was pretty fun. It's a reasonably fast read, not a whole lot of depth, and yet with characters that feel compelling in their own way.

Smedmen spent less time with the Dungeons & Dragons minutae here than she did in "Extinction", but pieces of D&D lore are there for those with the background to spot them. (Which is fun..)
Michael Ware
Do I love my fantasy novels! Good follow-up to the War of the Spider Queen series. I believe there is another series follwoing the War of the Spider Queen, it is hard to follow the timelines with Forgotten Realms, they are changing the setting through several series.
Gustav Grotius
I enjoy stories about the drow. This one is rather interesting, since it highlight. the relationship and mistrust between the males and females. I enjoyed it.
Jimmy
Lisa Smedman is one of my favorite authors from the ‘War of the Spider Queen’ saga. The drow continue to be the most and best interesting characters, since my discovery of the Drizzt Do’Urden novels. The Lady Penitent trilogy delivers all the pain, horror, blood & gore, evil, and deception that I’ve come to love and expect from the drow elves.
Two rival deities play a dangerous sava game since Lolth’s return from the Silence, in their struggle for dominance over the drow.
Along with the dif...more
Mike
I found this on my shelf. My nephew had sent it to me, added into an order, to get to the free shipping threshold. I thought, "This might be a good palate-cleanser to Kavalier & Klay." It's not good. I don't expect that anyone thinks it would be. I expect this would be unreadable for anyone not familiar with the tropes but it's fun reading descriptions of D&D rules acted out. Characters show up and die usually only lasting for a few pages. I won't be adding the name "Smedman" to my perso...more
Graham
The book was good. It provides the darkness one is looking for when reading about the Drow, but it lacks a little what i am used to from Lisa Smedman. To me it seemed like there was a lot of background and getting to know the characters for the bulk of the novel versus seeing them in action. Granted this is only the first in a series I am hoping the others pick up the pace. When it comes to plot it had a good big picture idea, but the details fell short. Not hearing how Vhearaun was killed was r...more
Efren Lawag
Sacrifice of the Widow is definitely a must read for fans of high fantasy. My lack of knowledge about Forgotten Realms lore didn't stop me from enjoying the book either, which is a good thing since it's hard to get engaged with similar books based on existing lore.
Paul
This book started out kinda slow, but after the first fifty pages or so it really took off, making it difficult for me to put down the farther I read. Smedman created a wonderfully stressful plot that has an amazing impact on the Forgotten Realms world.
Tony
Not bad. Continues the War of the Spider Queen series, which was pretty good in its own right. An easy read. Some interesting new characters are introduced and some pretty powerful characters you have heard of in the past take center stage.
Kristin
I loved this series, it was so cool to read more about the mysterious Drow and learn more about their gods. The ending was very good, I really enjoyed reading this series.
David
Forgot how fun this series was.
Hanzel
Hanzel marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Matt Young
Matt Young marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Clarke Pauli
Clarke Pauli marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Woody
Woody added it
Aug 13, 2014
Juan Camilo
Juan Camilo marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
  • The Gossamer Plain (Forgotten Realms: The Empyrean Odyssey, #1)
  • Forsaken House (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #1)
  • Neversfall (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #1)
  • Whisper of Waves (Forgotten Realms: Watercourse, #1)
  • Stardeep (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #3)
  • The Siege (Forgotten Realms: Return of the Archwizards, #2)
  • Frostfell (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #4)
  • Queen of the Depths (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #4)
  • Maiden of Pain (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #3)
  • Dawn of Night (Forgotten Realms: Erevis Cale, #2)
  • Depths of Madness (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #1)
  • Crypt of the Moaning Diamond (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #4)
Lisa was very much the tomboy growing up in Vancouver, British Columbia--playing in the woods behind her house, building tree forts, damming the creek, playing army with GI Joe dolls, swinging on ropes, playing flashlight tag, building models and go-carts (which she later rode down the street). She also liked reading science fiction novels from the 1940s, the Doc Savage series, and the Harriet the...more
More about Lisa Smedman...
Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4) Storm of the Dead (Lady Penitent #2) Ascendancy of the Last (Lady Penitent #3) Heirs of Prophecy (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #5) Venom's Taste (House of Serpents #1)