Start by marking “A Picture for Harold's Room” as Want to Read:
A Picture for Harold's Room

A Picture for Harold's Room (Harold #6)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  286 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Harold needs a picture for his bedroom wall. So he takes his purple crayon and begins to create a whole new world around him. But then he notices he has gotten very small - half the size of a daisy! Only a very clever artist can find his way home now.
Published October 1st 1985 by Perfection Learning (first published January 1st 1960)

Kim T.
Feb 06, 2014 Kim T. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It reminded me a lot of Simon ("Well, you know my name is Simon, and the things I draw come true.") This book does much to encourage PWS and imagination.

I secured this title from my local library.
Kathleen Dixon
I found my copy of this classic children's book in 1984, in a second-hand bookshop, and grabbed it immediately. I remembered it from my childhood, and my son was 2 weeks short of 2 years old so I knew he'd enjoy it for quite a while. 4 years later my daughter was born, so it was a treasured story for her too. And now the grandchildren are loving it, and I must thank my daughter for giving me the grandchildren that I kept my favourite books for!

Harold is a toddler with a purple crayon, and like m
Jared
Apr 09, 2008 Jared rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young kids
Shelves: children-s
Harold's further adventures with his magic purple crayon. Harold wants to create a picture for his room, and ends up picturing more than he bargained for. I love the way Crockett Johnson turns this into a 3D adventure.
Wooden Horse
May 03, 2012 Wooden Horse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This I Can Read Level 1 book was the first one that the 3-year old I watch wanted to go back and look at the pictures again without listening to the story. Usually he looks at the pictures while we are reading however this week he's been so occupied with building with his Duplo blocks that I've just been reading without him actually paying attention. He looks up occasionally and will comment on the story so I know he's listening for the most part. He did that for this story as well and then aske ...more
Karen
May 13, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harold is magical. There is no other way to describe him. Sure, he is creative, imaginative, and talented, (and adorable), but it really all comes down to him being magical.

My son is very much like Harold -- he is magical.

Jie Gao
Jun 03, 2014 Jie Gao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, good-drawing
full of imagination and creativity. drawing reminds me of Picasso.
J.C.
Aug 20, 2014 J.C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A cute kids book promoting imagination. Whats not to like?
Margaret
----
My copy is a Weekly Reader hardcover.
Robert J
Oh what Harold can do with his purple crayon.
Timothy Boyd
Mar 15, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite series of books as a young beginning reader. My imagination was a lot like Harold's I just didn't have the crayon to make things happen. If you have kids or grand-kids these are a great set of book to introduce them to the world of reading. Highly recommended.
midnightfaerie
Oct 28, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
We love Crockett Johnson! Who doesn't imagine their pictures coming to life as a kid? Everytime I read a book about Harold, the song from Romper Room goes flitting through my head. "Well, you know my name is Simon, and the things I draw come true..." Remember that one? If you said yes, well, you just dated yourself. *grin* Seriously, wonderful books and an awesome concept, that any kid can appreciate. My kids all love Harold.
Chad
Jul 07, 2010 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Harold and his purple crayon show how simple drawings, so simple that anybody could do, and a wonderfully vivid imagination can take a person anywhere. I loved this as a child and reading it to my own children once again stirred my own imagination. My children enjoy this book as much as I did and still do. Thanks, Harold!
Robert
Jul 05, 2010 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, drawing, 2-3, beetle, own
Harold is a boy and decides he needs a drawing on his wall, so he draws one with a purple crayon. Magically, he enters his drawing and interacts with it. A simple, but fun read. I expected trouble for Harold at the end, but Mommy never came. Hmmm . . . will this encourage drawing on bedroom walls? :)
Dolly
Nov 14, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another fun book in the "Harold and the Purple Crayon" series. Harold wants to decorate his room and ends up going on another adventure. The simple purple and white illustrations and narrative are fun for children and the book is fun to read aloud.
Victorb
Feb 11, 2011 Victorb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He drew a picture on his room wall with a purple crayon and he went in it and no one saw him. He drew a train track and flowers and birds and some mountains and everything was purple. He was big and then he turned small.
Sandi
Apr 19, 2011 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-l-306
This story has so much imagination! It is a classic that can be used with a large age range. The illustrations and stroy are great. This book is an easy read that would be loved by young and old students.
Jenny
Mar 25, 2009 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
After loving the original Harold I wanted to read others but wasn't very impressed with this one. Harold is adorable as always but the storyline wasn't great.
Angela Skeie
Apr 07, 2009 Angela Skeie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this one even more than Harold and the Purple Crayon. The concept is more explored, in a fun and special way.
Sonya Feher
Definitely not the wit, vocabulary or surprises other Harold books offer. Not worth the read.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
He draws pictures on his wall. It makes him feel big then small and finally his own size. A.R.
Mrs.
Mar 12, 2011 Mrs. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Fun book again show the illustrations as so very important in the story.
Olivia
Oct 13, 2008 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book .I think that Harold is good at drawing.
Aby
Jan 29, 2010 Aby added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aby
Read twice: September 2009 and January 2010
Megan B
ALMOST as good as the original.
Rosa
Jan 19, 2009 Rosa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good.
Tracy
Pleasure reading
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 23, 2016
Tessa Elise
Tessa Elise rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Snow
Snow marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • No Fighting, No Biting!
  • Morris the Moose
  • Round Trip
  • If Rocks Could Sing: A Discovered Alphabet
  • Oscar Otter
  • Norman the Doorman
  • Old, New, Red, Blue! (Step into Reading) (Cars movie tie in)
  • Charlie the Ranch Dog: Where's the Bacon?
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • Splat the Cat with a Bang and a Clang
  • The Flying Dragon Room
  • Zack's Alligator
  • The Caterpillar and the Polliwog
pseudonym for David Johnson Leisk
More about Crockett Johnson...

Harold (7 books)