A Picture for Harold's Room

A Picture for Harold's Room (Harold #6)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Harold needs a picture for his bedroom wall. So he takes his purple crayon and begins to create a whole new world around him. But then he notices he has gotten very small - half the size of a daisy! Only a very clever artist can find his way home now.
Published October 1st 1985 by Perfection Learning (first published December 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about A Picture for Harold's Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Picture for Harold's Room

Kim T.
I really liked this book. It reminded me a lot of Simon ("Well, you know my name is Simon, and the things I draw come true.") This book does much to encourage PWS and imagination.

I secured this title from my local library.
Jared
Apr 09, 2008 Jared rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young kids
Shelves: children-s
Harold's further adventures with his magic purple crayon. Harold wants to create a picture for his room, and ends up picturing more than he bargained for. I love the way Crockett Johnson turns this into a 3D adventure.
Wooden Horse
This I Can Read Level 1 book was the first one that the 3-year old I watch wanted to go back and look at the pictures again without listening to the story. Usually he looks at the pictures while we are reading however this week he's been so occupied with building with his Duplo blocks that I've just been reading without him actually paying attention. He looks up occasionally and will comment on the story so I know he's listening for the most part. He did that for this story as well and then aske...more
Jie Gao
full of imagination and creativity. drawing reminds me of Picasso.
midnightfaerie
We love Crockett Johnson! Who doesn't imagine their pictures coming to life as a kid? Everytime I read a book about Harold, the song from Romper Room goes flitting through my head. "Well, you know my name is Simon, and the things I draw come true..." Remember that one? If you said yes, well, you just dated yourself. *grin* Seriously, wonderful books and an awesome concept, that any kid can appreciate. My kids all love Harold.
Chad
Harold and his purple crayon show how simple drawings, so simple that anybody could do, and a wonderfully vivid imagination can take a person anywhere. I loved this as a child and reading it to my own children once again stirred my own imagination. My children enjoy this book as much as I did and still do. Thanks, Harold!
Robert
Harold is a boy and decides he needs a drawing on his wall, so he draws one with a purple crayon. Magically, he enters his drawing and interacts with it. A simple, but fun read. I expected trouble for Harold at the end, but Mommy never came. Hmmm . . . will this encourage drawing on bedroom walls? :)
Dolly
Nov 14, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another fun book in the "Harold and the Purple Crayon" series. Harold wants to decorate his room and ends up going on another adventure. The simple purple and white illustrations and narrative are fun for children and the book is fun to read aloud.
Victorb
He drew a picture on his room wall with a purple crayon and he went in it and no one saw him. He drew a train track and flowers and birds and some mountains and everything was purple. He was big and then he turned small.
Sandi
This story has so much imagination! It is a classic that can be used with a large age range. The illustrations and stroy are great. This book is an easy read that would be loved by young and old students.
Jenny
After loving the original Harold I wanted to read others but wasn't very impressed with this one. Harold is adorable as always but the storyline wasn't great.
Angela Skeie
I love this one even more than Harold and the Purple Crayon. The concept is more explored, in a fun and special way.
Sonya Feher
Definitely not the wit, vocabulary or surprises other Harold books offer. Not worth the read.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
He draws pictures on his wall. It makes him feel big then small and finally his own size. A.R.
Mrs.
Fun book again show the illustrations as so very important in the story.
Olivia
I like this book .I think that Harold is good at drawing.
Aby
Jan 29, 2010 Aby added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aby
Read twice: September 2009 and January 2010
Megan B
ALMOST as good as the original.
Maggie
Alex Of Bree
Alex Of Bree marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Grasshopper on the Road
  • A Letter to Amy
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
  • Angus and the Ducks
  • The Wind Blew
  • No Fighting, No Biting!
  • Choo Choo
  • Clifford's Happy Easter
  • The Quilt Story
  • Morris the Moose
pseudonym for David Johnson Leisk
More about Crockett Johnson...
Harold and the Purple Crayon The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon Harold's Fairy Tale Harold's Circus Harold at the North Pole