Start by marking “You're On Your Own (But I'm Here If You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years” as Want to Read:

Realistic and practical advice for parents of college-age kidsParents whose kids are away at college have a tough tightrope to walk: they naturally want to stay connected to their children, yet they also need to let go. What's more, kids often send mixed messages: they crave space, but they rely on their parents' advice and assistance. Not surprisingly, it's hard to know w ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Touchstone (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about You're On Your Own (But I'm Here If You Need Me), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're On Your Own (But I'm Here If You Need Me)

Tina
Apr 21, 2016 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for parents with kids heading off to college. I've already had one go through it all, and I really agree with the advice offered.
Delores
Oct 30, 2016 Delores rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cati
Shelves: non-fiction
Having recently dropped off my first at college, I wish I had read this book before her senior year of high school - I would have been better prepared for a variety of unexpected moments leading up to move-in day. The author offers a lot of practical and advice on moving from parent (making all the decisions) to the role of mentor/coach. There are some great tips on conversation starters and setting expectations for parent weekend and your child's first visit back home. It is a bit outdated in t ...more
Suzanne
Apr 28, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revised comments, to make my review a little clearer! =)

Perhaps reading this on the heels of "I'll Miss You Too" has skewed my impressions of this book, and made it seem really good. By comparison, it *is* good. "You're on Your Own" went into greater depth on the issues of children going off to college, and did so with greater intelligence, than "I'll Miss You Too". The discussions were straightforward and clear. Many of the topics are not surprising - anyone with any kind of imagination can pre
Diane Knauff
Apr 25, 2015 Diane Knauff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful for a parent going through this stage for the very first time, especially when the student is moving far away from home. It confirmed my innate philosophies on handling issues and I think knowing that will help me from dealing with situations based on immediate impulses. The book also made me aware of some challenges my student will face that I had not considered, particularly past the first semester.
Lesa Parnham
Nov 23, 2011 Lesa Parnham rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Lesa by: no one
Shelves: 2011-books-read
Blah, nothing new, I think I read this book with a different cover (perhaps a different edition.) I get angry with myself when I do this, spend good money to buy the same book, at least it was a used purchase.
All in all, I have to stop reading these books, I am throwing myself into more of a panic than I am already in with two kids (who I really like to be with) are heading for college in the fall.
Jane Greensmith
Jun 29, 2010 Jane Greensmith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely essential reading for any parent of a college-bound child. I learned so much regarding situations and expectations about practical stuff and emotional stuff.

Chock full of great advice--I gave it to my daughter to read, so that she knows where I'm coming from, and to my husband to read, so that we are on the same page about issues.
Mckinley
Sep 09, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely done. While aimed at parents, each chapter at the end also covers same issues in short question form for the student.
Best for families with high schoolers or first semester college students.

See also : What the Best College Students Do by K Bain. And Making the Most of College: Students Speak Their Minds by Richard Light
Tracy
Sep 21, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Very helpful! (I purchased the ebook version.) Good advice from a professional who is in a position to clearly understand BOTH parent & student perspectives of this transitional time in our lives. I hope there will be an updated edition in another 8 years to accommodate all the changes between now & when I get to ride the college 'coaster again!
Michellena
Aug 12, 2014 Michellena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend for parents of high school seniors and college freshmen. Helped me know what to expect when sending my firstborn off this fall, and it's helping me talk to him. This will probably be on my bedside table for reference throughout the year!
Julie
Jul 12, 2009 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I think this book would be of most use to a parent of a child searching for a college and during the child's early months on campus. Reading it as the parent of a soon to be sophomore, I didn't learn a lot. However, I could see where it would be very useful for starting out.
Anne
Sep 15, 2014 Anne rated it it was amazing
This was a valuable resource to understand the process of my child going through college. It helped to reassure me and our family. I felt like the author was honest and factual.
Shellie G
Feb 02, 2010 Shellie G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really found this book to be helpful with the onset of our first child leaving for college. Lots of info.
Suzanne
Good, practical advice. Nice to read or keep around if you're sending a child off to college, but nothing special.
Eli2abeth
Aug 05, 2014 Eli2abeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good! Practical advice that covers any parent/child relationship and can be applied to children younger than college age.
Merlita Taitague
Merlita Taitague rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Helene Domi
Helene Domi rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Rebecca Hecking
Rebecca Hecking rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
 Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Joyce A.
Joyce A. rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2015
Maxine
Maxine rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Shelley
Feb 06, 2011 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very practical advice . . . good lists.
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
m
m rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
L. Anne
L. Anne rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Linda Ethier
Linda Ethier rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2013
Terri Major-kincade
Terri Major-kincade rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Sue
Dec 11, 2009 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful tips for a parent whose child is still searching for a college or just entering college.
« previous 1 3 next »