I Love Macarons

I Love Macarons

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Cute-as-can-be, buttery macarons capture the whimsy and elegance of Paris, where they're traditionally served with teaor wrapped up in ribbon to give as a gift. But the secrets of making perfect macarons have long eluded home bakersuntil now! In I Love Macarons, renowned Japanese pastry-maker Hisako Ogita brings her extensive experience to the art of baking macarons with f...more
Published November 11th 2009 by Chronicle Books (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Love Macarons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love Macarons

Stacy
This is the cutest cookbook alive. As a fan of well-designed books and good food photography, I would buy it and keep it for this reason alone.

However, on a practical level, its loaded with mistakes. There are typos galore. Some of the errors are just misplaced punctuation, but others are incorrect measurement conversions. FAIL.

More importantly, I don't think the recipes were tested with what's available in American stores and prepared in American kitchens. The ingredients section call for corns...more
Ana Mardoll
I Love Macarons / B00B2XPBLW

So, everyone else on earth has already said this about this book, but I'll add on to the pile: The pictures are pretty, the ideas are great, the recipes are flat-out wrong. I haven't had a chance to confirm that the recipes use too much egg-whites, but I wouldn't be surprised because our first batch was too runny. But! Everything plumped up and I even had pied-feet and was feeling great...

...until the oven burned the cookies like whoa, because 375 degrees fahrenheit f...more
زاهي رستم
Before you read this book:

You have to note, that the book published in Japanese in 2006, then translated to English, and published in America in 2009.

So that, some American readers (also readers from other countries, such as Canadian...)well thought there is something wrong with cooking measurements. There isn't. Japanese cooking measurements are different from the United States.

In Japan 1 cup is 200 ml (and they use a rice cooker cup, 180 ml ),when American 1 cup is 240 ml.And Japanese recipe(a...more
Mo Tipton
Everything about this book is adorable. It's chock full of color photographs detailing every step of making, filling, and even gift wrapping macarons, and the flavor combinations are to die for.
Ehrrin
Got this book as a xmas gift from both Megan and Ellen! Gave Ellen's copy back to her so we can engage in some macaron-making together!
ellen
Can't wait to put this cute little book to use
Joséphine
The formatting for the ebook was off on a lot of pages, such that full page images didn't show. Also, the presentation of recipes were inconsistent. When it came to food colouring, for instance, in some cases the amounts were stated, in others they weren't. Also, "add more of this than" just doesn't do it when it comes to baking recipes. Accuracy and precision are key. Also, 375°F/ 190°C is way too high a temperature for baking macarons.

I think it's important to note that this recipe books was t...more
Netts
Beautifully styled and photographed but fails on so many practical levels: the recipe ratios are wrong (20% less ground almonds than normal), the baking temperature recommended is far too hot and the baking time far too long, real vanilla contains a good amount of oil and natural alcohols so adding it to your meringue before the dry ingredients is nearly guaranteed to split it, etc. I could go on but the most obvious failure will be right in front of your face: the macarons photographed all over...more
Rebecca
As someone who enjoys baking and recently made some lemon macarons I was curious to see what this book had to say and if it provided any decent tips that would help me to perfect my art so to speak.

The pictures in this book are so pretty. I love all the bright colours and different ways that macarons can be made so find staring at pictures of different sorts to be really exciting. I especially liked the marbled ones as they looked really awesome.

I also enjoyed reading the different flavour ideas...more
Miles
I purchased this book for my wife "Chef Belle" who is French trained in the culinary arts and has been active in the profession for many years. I give the 5 stars only 'cuz Belle loves the book. fortunately she has the expertise to spot miscalculations in quantities of ingredients, and she knows many 'tricks-of-the trade'. One must adjust the recipes in this book which is apparent to an experienced chef. Some things must have been 'lost-in-the-translation' of this book - use common sense ! ! !
Junita
The photos in this book inspired me to try making macarons, even though my first attempt (several years ago) was a complete and utter failure. Well guess what? My second attempt, though not quite as memorably bad as the first, was not good. The book is still adorable, but it has not unlocked the SECRET of the MACARON for me. I'm still searching...
Bianca
This is a really good introduction to macaron making. The author is pretty thorough when it comes to directions for this pesky cookie. Though the recipes themselves may not be up to Laduree standards, the author's inclusion of a troubleshooting section and recipes for extra egg yolks was different from anything I've seen so far.
Robert
Absolutely splendid! Very detailed, idiot proof instructions and pictures for every kind of macaron imaginable. Also recipes for other delicious deserts using left over ingredients. I hope Hisako Ogita will continue to make more such excellent cookery books.
Amelia
The macaron recipes are easy to follow step by step with pictures. After making the macarons once or twice you learn from your mistakes (using the corrections in the mistake guide in the book). Beautiful photography and delicious end product, well worth it!
Esther
Apr 02, 2011 Esther added it
The book was really cute and had some good pictures. But I didn't really learn anything new about macarons. D:
learned how to make perfect macarons with feet from this book.
Laureen Cutrona
can't wait to make some. the colors are so cool!
Emily
I love it! Such a pretty book, too.
yengyeng
Macarons are exquisitely photogenic.
Daisy
Cute pictures.
Natalia Román díaz
Natalia Román díaz marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Mandi Smith
Mandi Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Almare
Almare marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Craft of Baking: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets with Ideas for Inventing Your Own
  • Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich
  • The Vintage Tea Party Book
  • Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
  • Seductions of Rice
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • Professional Baking
  • Baking
  • The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • Alinea
  • I Know How to Cook
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
  • A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
Gummy Fun Gummi Fun: Make Chewy Treats for the Whole Family