Start by marking “Fire on the Water (Lone Wolf, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fire on the Water (Lone Wolf, #2)

Fire on the Water (Lone Wolf #2)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  494 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
You are Lone Wolf - last of the Kai Lords. Bitter war rages through your homeland as the evil Darklords of the west lay siege to the capital.

The King has sent you on a desperate journey to retrieve the only power in Magnamund that can save your people: the Sommersword, the sword of the sun. Ahead of you lie terrible dangers - ferocious seastorms, the tunnel of Tarnalin, an
Published 1988 by Beaver Books (first published June 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Fire on the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire on the Water

Mountainroot
Κατώτερο σε σχέση με το πρώτο. Ωραίες οι διαφορετικές τοποθεσίες αλλά το παιχνίδι είχε ένα σημείο που το καταστρέφει για μένα. Ουσιαστικά είναι ένα σημείο στο οποίο αν δεν έχεις κάτι συγκεκριμένο ή δεν έχεις βρει κάτι άλλο πιο πριν τότε απλά χάνεις αμέσως. Σε συνδιασμό ότι ότι και να κάνεις σε εκείνο το σημείο θα χάσεις σημαίνει οτι πρέπει να παίξεις αρκετές φορές μόνο και μόνο για να το συνειδητοποιήσεις.

Πέθανα 5-6 φορές σίγουρα.

Κανονικά θα του έβαζα μόνο 1 στα 5 αλλά το σώζουν οι πολλές τοποθε
Michael Kelly
I always found the Lone Wolf series to spin an interesting enough yarn, but to fall far short of the more vivid and intense experience offered by Fighting Fantasy.

This second book in the series is a good read, and the story is much, much better than the slightly damp squib that was the first book. It benefits from the sense of continuity, following directly on from 'Flight From the Dark', and allowing the reader's character to progress as a result of his experiences.

This book has much, much more
Thomas
Oct 30, 2014 Thomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gamebooks, fantasy
From a gaming standpoint, the book contains too many choices where you are given no clue, and that still leads Lone Wolf to unavoidable death. Some of those choices possibly made much earlier in the book. And some of those instant deaths don't even come from choice but from the random table. It definitely is frustrating.

From the writing standpoint, the time ellipsis are badly handled and it feels as is Lone Wolf is having some difficult situation every minute of every days of his 40 days travel.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Tougher than the first book, but with a very standard plot - running across the map to find a magic sword and defeat a dark lord and somehow the situations and settings seemed a lot less absorbing. I think the number of times chance, in the form of a story fork hinging on numbers picked from a random number table, directs the action put me off especially.
Ren
I don't think I ever finished this one as a kid, I have memories of dying on the ship so many times, and then later during the coach journey. On the whole it's not that difficult, but there's a really frustrating bit in the end when you enter the mountain tunnel, where (view spoiler). I liked the fact that Lo ...more
Mloy
Aug 24, 2014 Mloy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The continuing the adventure of Lone Wolf. I've invested too much time and effort in this series already to quit now (I know it's only the second book) but this is so fascinating. I love going on the adventure of the mind and having to determine the outcome by sheer luck (or maybe skill?) but I like being able to play along with the story. This book is just plain cool.
Etienne02breton
Dec 15, 2014 Etienne02breton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Même qualité d'histoire que le premier, un peu plus difficile à réussir par contre. La finale est très bien, on ressent vraiment le pouvoir du Glaive de Sommer lorsqu'on réussit finalement à mettre la main dessus.
John Ayliff
Apr 11, 2016 John Ayliff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is better and feels more substantial than the first book, although I found how luck-based it is to be annoying, especially one unavoidable (I think) part where you have a 1/10 chance to instantly die.
Aneta Główczyk
Michael
Apr 09, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So after the challenge of the first book in the series, I decided to continue on with this geekdom. This one seems more reasonable until you get to a spot that seems impossible. This one took me 12 attempts. The entire series free and online in a game-book player here: http://www.projectaon.org/staff/eric/.

I know keeping track of my death count is not in the spirit of the book/game probably, but that's what's adding to the fun for me. I need an occasional diversion while I work too. Heh.
Book 1
Nicolas Ronvel
Tonari
Jan 23, 2016 Tonari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book of the Lone Wolf series.
It is a little bit more challenging than the first one and in particular it has a "bottle-neck" in the first part of the adventure (that is an event which cannot be avoided and needs can be overcome only by luck).
There is also a puzzle which needs some thinking to be resolved. Funny.
Roger
Oct 12, 2008 Roger marked it as will-probably-never-read  ·  review of another edition
this is interesting. a RPG style novella. part of the Lone Wolf series?

looks like Choose your Own Adventure combined with Dungeons and Dragons

checking Wikipedia, it looks like there's a whole series of gamebooks. cool.
John somers
Read this series years ago and want to get the set and re-read them to see if they're as good as I remember. (Childhood nostalgia).
David
Oct 15, 2009 David rated it really liked it
A very good follow-up to the first of the series that takes place on the oceans. An exciting read for the most part.
Evey Morgan
Nov 28, 2013 Evey Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro para pasártelo en grande jugando una partida de rol en solitario o en grupo.
Amber
Oct 12, 2010 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, rpg
This was a lot of fun, long, and on occasion frustrating.
Todd
Dec 10, 2012 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy, ebook, rpg
much more challenging than the first book
kelate01
Apr 07, 2010 kelate01 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book by an excellent author
Chris
Chris added it
Jun 24, 2016
Marlanes
Marlanes marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Michal Veselý
Michal Veselý rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Matteo
Matteo rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Mikayla Braden
Mikayla Braden marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Colleen Dolan
Colleen Dolan rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Travis
Travis rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Jason Roman
Jason Roman rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
  • Grey Star the Wizard (The World of Lone Wolf, #1)
  • The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)
  • Search for Dinosaurs (Time Machine, #2)
  • Wolf's Bane (Wolfwalker, #5)
  • Temple of Terror (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #19)
  • Mountain Of Mirrors (Endless Quest, #2)
  • Sword of the Samurai (Fighting Fantasy, Reissues 1, #25)
  • Rebel Planet (Fighting Fantasy, #18)
  • Demons of the Deep (Fighting Fantasy, #19)
  • Forgotten Realms Atlas, The (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #8442)
  • The Shattered Sphere (The Hunted Earth, #2)
Joe Dever is an award-winning British fantasist and game designer. Originally a musician, Dever became the first British winner of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Championship of America in 1982.

He created the fictional world of Magnamund as a setting for his Dungeons & Dragons campaigns. In 1984 he released the first book of the Lone Wolf series of young-adult gamebooks, and the series ha
More about Joe Dever...

Lone Wolf (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Flight from the Dark (Lone Wolf, #1)
  • The Caverns of Kalte (Lone Wolf, #3)
  • The Chasm Of Doom (Lone Wolf, #4)
  • Shadow on the Sand (Lone Wolf, #5)
  • The Kingdoms of Terror (Lone Wolf, #6)
  • Castle Death (Lone Wolf, #7)
  • The Jungle of Horrors (Lone Wolf, #8)
  • The Cauldron of Fear (Lone Wolf, #9)
  • The Dungeons of Torgar (Lone Wolf, #10)
  • The Prisoners of Time (Lone Wolf, #11)