Start by marking “Fire on the Water (Lone Wolf, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fire on the Water (Lone Wolf, #2)

Fire on the Water (Lone Wolf #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  16 reviews
You are Lone Wolf - last of the Kai Lords. Bitter war rages through your homeland as the evil Darklords of the west lay siege to the capital.

The King has sent you on a desperate journey to retrieve the only power in Magnamund that can save your people: the Sommersword, the sword of the sun. Ahead of you lie terrible dangers - ferocious seastorms, the tunnel of Tarnalin, an
Published 1988 by Beaver Books (first published June 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Fire on the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire on the Water

Thomas
From a gaming standpoint, the book contains too many choices where you are given no clue, and that still leads Lone Wolf to unavoidable death. Some of those choices possibly made much earlier in the book. And some of those instant deaths don't even come from choice but from the random table. It definitely is frustrating.

From the writing standpoint, the time ellipsis are badly handled and it feels as is Lone Wolf is having some difficult situation every minute of every days of his 40 days travel.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Tougher than the first book, but with a very standard plot - running across the map to find a magic sword and defeat a dark lord and somehow the situations and settings seemed a lot less absorbing. I think the number of times chance, in the form of a story fork hinging on numbers picked from a random number table, directs the action put me off especially.
Ren
I don't think I ever finished this one as a kid, I have memories of dying on the ship so many times, and then later during the coach journey. On the whole it's not that difficult, but there's a really frustrating bit in the end when you enter the mountain tunnel, where (view spoiler). I liked the fact that Lo ...more
Mloy
The continuing the adventure of Lone Wolf. I've invested too much time and effort in this series already to quit now (I know it's only the second book) but this is so fascinating. I love going on the adventure of the mind and having to determine the outcome by sheer luck (or maybe skill?) but I like being able to play along with the story. This book is just plain cool.
Tonari
Second book of the Lone Wolf series.
It is a little bit more challenging than the first one and in particular it has a "bottle-neck" in the first part of the adventure (that is an event which cannot be avoided and needs can be overcome only by luck).
You need to be careful and there is a puzzle which needs some thinking to be resolved. Funny.
Etienne02breton
Même qualité d'histoire que le premier, un peu plus difficile à réussir par contre. La finale est très bien, on ressent vraiment le pouvoir du Glaive de Sommer lorsqu'on réussit finalement à mettre la main dessus.
Aneta Główczyk
Michael
So after the challenge of the first book in the series, I decided to continue on with this geekdom. This one seems more reasonable until you get to a spot that seems impossible. This one took me 12 attempts. The entire series free and online in a game-book player here: http://www.projectaon.org/staff/eric/.

I know keeping track of my death count is not in the spirit of the book/game probably, but that's what's adding to the fun for me. I need an occasional diversion while I work too. Heh.
Book 1
Nicolas Ronvel
Roger
Oct 12, 2008 Roger marked it as will-probably-never-read  ·  review of another edition
this is interesting. a RPG style novella. part of the Lone Wolf series?

looks like Choose your Own Adventure combined with Dungeons and Dragons

checking Wikipedia, it looks like there's a whole series of gamebooks. cool.
John somers
Read this series years ago and want to get the set and re-read them to see if they're as good as I remember. (Childhood nostalgia).
David
A very good follow-up to the first of the series that takes place on the oceans. An exciting read for the most part.
Eveymorgan
Un libro para pasártelo en grande jugando una partida de rol en solitario o en grupo.
Amber
This was a lot of fun, long, and on occasion frustrating.
Todd
much more challenging than the first book
kelate01
Excellent book by an excellent author
Jess Bloomingdale
Jess Bloomingdale marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
John
John added it
Feb 06, 2015
Biblioteca Pacillo
Biblioteca Pacillo marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Mark Larson
Mark Larson marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Julia
Julia added it
Jan 25, 2015
J R
J R marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
  • Grey Star the Wizard (The World of Lone Wolf, #1)
  • The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1)
  • Wolf's Bane (Wolfwalker, #5)
  • Temple of Terror (Fighting Fantasy, #14)
  • Revenge of the Rainbow Dragons (Endless Quest #6)
  • Search for Dinosaurs (Time Machine, #2)
  • Sword of the Samurai (Fighting Fantasy, #20)
  • The Forgotten Realms Atlas
  • The Shattered Sphere (The Hunted Earth, #2)
  • Dungeons & Dragons For Dummies
  • Ocean of Lard
  • Return to the Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #50)
Joe Dever is an award-winning British fantasist and game designer. Originally a musician, Dever became the first British winner of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Championship of America in 1982.

He created the fictional world of Magnamund as a setting for his Dungeons & Dragons campaigns. In 1984 he released the first book of the Lone Wolf series of young-adult gamebooks, and the series ha
More about Joe Dever...

Lone Wolf (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Flight from the Dark (Lone Wolf, #1)
  • The Caverns of Kalte (Lone Wolf, #3)
  • The Chasm Of Doom (Lone Wolf, #4)
  • Shadow on the Sand (Lone Wolf, #5)
  • The Kingdoms of Terror (Lone Wolf, #6)
  • Castle Death (Lone Wolf, #7)
  • The Jungle of Horrors (Lone Wolf, #8)
  • The Cauldron of Fear (Lone Wolf, #9)
  • The Dungeons of Torgar (Lone Wolf, #10)
  • The Prisoners of Time (Lone Wolf, #11)
Flight from the Dark (Lone Wolf, #1) The Caverns of Kalte (Lone Wolf, #3) Shadow on the Sand (Lone Wolf, #5) The Chasm Of Doom (Lone Wolf, #4) The Kingdoms of Terror (Lone Wolf, #6)