Start by marking “On Being Authentic” as Want to Read:
On Being Authentic

On Being Authentic

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  8 reviews
'To thine own self be true.' From Polonius's words in Hamlet right up to Oprah, we are constantly urged to look within. Why is being authentic the ultimate aim in life for so many people, and why does it mean looking inside rather than out? Is it about finding the 'real' me, or something greater than me, even God? And should we welcome what we find?
Thought-provoking and w
Published June 16th 2004 by Routledge (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about On Being Authentic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Being Authentic

Pooya Razavian
Feb 03, 2011 Pooya Razavian is currently reading it
I'm half way through it, and it's fascinating.
David
Like the Momo (Antonin Artaud), this book makes you take a hard look at yourself and ask some serious questions. This author writes on existentialism and Continental philosophy, so some of that (appropriately) creeps in, but is not explicit.
Matt
Interesting discussion on the various perspectives and philosophies on the ideal of authenticity. Guignon does a good job at presenting and dissecting the different ideas of authenticity that have existed over time.
Cindy
I enjoyed the conclusions of this book, but the writing was a bit arcane in nature. I'm not sure if it was the writer's style that bothered me or perhaps I was trying to read something profound too quickly.
Andrej Zhaňač
Well-written and great introduction to this topic; author makes a general survey of ideas surrounding it (authenticity, theories of self, social dimensions of A). Provides great tips for additional readings.
Paula
The book provides an interesting critique of existential nihilism, which lead me to the book I'm currently reading: The Conquest of Happiness.
Marilena
Very interesting thoughts about identity and..being authentic with references to different historical times and also to well-known philosophers.
Lee
Accessible and valuable summary of the history of thinking re: everything re: authenticity re: human existence.
Anja
Anja marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Glen
Glen is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
gray
gray marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Isalina
Isalina marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Antoinette Archie
Antoinette Archie marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Alex Detillio
Alex Detillio marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Elliott Stephen
Elliott Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Dylan
Dylan added it
Jul 06, 2014
Doc Philos
Doc Philos marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Existentialism: Basic Writings The Good Life The Cambridge Companion to Heidegger Richard Rorty (Contemporary Philosophy in Focus) Heidegger and the Problem of Knowledge