Start by marking “Children Of The Covered Wagon” as Want to Read:
Children Of The Covered Wagon

Children Of The Covered Wagon

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Young children will love to read this historically-accurate, personal account of pioneers heading west on the Oregon Trail during the mid-1800s. Great illustrations, large print and helpful maps wi
Published March 1st 2007 by Christian Liberty Press (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Children Of The Covered Wagon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children Of The Covered Wagon

Stephanie A.
Oh, Oregon Trail! What fascinates me is that when she wrote this, she got praise for describing a "little-told" chapter of American history. And it's true. Everyone under the age of at least 25 is thoroughly versed in the Oregon Trail games, but this was even before Little House on the Prairie. Book version.

Basically, if you loved playing that game and want to read it in novel form, this is your ticket.
Nicole
A really good adventure story about children walking the Oregon Trail. It is written for children with great illustrations. I couldn't put it down. Adventures with indians, fur-trappers, indians, animals, indians.... I think you get the picture.

I learned a lot about the pioneers and about myself!

By the way, this edition shows the wrong illustrator, it should be Esther Brann.
Lexi
I read this with my 4th graders in our study of Westward expansion. They absolutely loved it. It was a great way for us to become more acquainted with life on the Oregon Trail; however, as a piece of Literature, it is nothing spectacular. The characters are not very well developed and it's a bit overly moralizing.
Angela
A solid read with a great look at the time - from both the pioneer and native perspectives. Great chapter book for jr high readers (or older, obviously). :-)
Carrie Allen
This was a good book. I thought it was good that it explained not only the excitement and thrill of traveling in a covered wagon to a new land, but also explained and detailed some of the dangers and hardships. It was a good read.
Aja
I really recommend this one if you are at all into the American West. I didn't really like the West until I read this book. It moves pretty fast so you won't get bored.
Dawn Roberts
Very detailed account of a fictional wagon train crossing the plains to Oregon in the 1840's. A bit of moralizing and overly poetic language, but still engaging.
Candice
A great point of view from the children on the trail, i liked the details and characters very much.
Allison
LOVED this book as a child. Would love to get a copy and read to my own kids.
Leia-Catherine
I like it because the boy has a lot of exciting things that happened!
Abbey
Good book. Well written. Not my absolute favorite though:)
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Staci Woodruff
Staci Woodruff marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Lisa Graas
Lisa Graas marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Monae
Monae marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Kencel Andrews
Kencel Andrews marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
MARY JANE CARR has lived in the Pacific Northwest all her life. She was born and grew up with four sisters and four brothers in Portland, Oregon. She attended both high school and Marylhurst College there.
After college Miss Carr joined The Catholic Sentinel, a weekly newspaper. She began as a proofreader and eventually worked her way up to the job of associate editor. Her feature articles also ap
More about Mary Jane Carr...
Young Mac Of Fort Vancouver Peggy and Paul and Laddy