Start by marking “We've Always Had Paris...and Provence: A Scrapbook of Our Life in France” as Want to Read:
We've Always Had Paris...and Provence: A Scrapbook of Our Life in France

We've Always Had Paris...and Provence: A Scrapbook of Our Life in France

We've Always Had Paris... and Provence: A Scrapbook of Our Life in France - [ We've Always Had Paris... and Provence: A Scrapbook of Our Life in France - by Wells, Patricia ( Author ) Paperback Apr- 2009 ] Paperback Apr- 28- 2009
Published April 28th 2009 by Harper Perennial (first published May 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about We've Always Had Paris...and Provence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We've Always Had Paris...and Provence

J.
Jun 01, 2008 J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read...Patricia is definitely the better writer. This is not a compelling book. But if you are an expat, it is always interesting to read how others adapt to their environment.
Lua
Apr 30, 2016 Lua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a bit depressing to compare myself (unfavorably) to Patricia Wells, who lives a version of my fantasy French life. She's an incredible cook and her "work" is traveling and reviewing delicious meals all over France. Her talents also include renovating houses, gardening, and even running her first marathon at age 60.
Michelle
Jul 06, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be exact a 3 1/2. This book is written by both Wells and her husband about how they ended up living and working in France. I like the first half of the book much better and thought that the second half could have used better editing.
James
Sep 22, 2013 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The authors of this book set out on a professional adventure in the late 1970s when they both had opportunities to work in France for a couple of years. Patricia Wells had been working as a food writer for the New York Times and her husband Walter had senior editorial experience when they got the chance to re-locate and do their work in Paris. They thought the duration of their stay would be for 2-3 years, but when Walter retired 25 years later, they were still living and working in France. I've ...more
Pat
Jan 28, 2009 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed the books and cookbooks that Patricia Wells has written. This is a memoir by she and her husband (an editor at the International Herald Tribune) of the thirty years they have lived in France. Interestingly enough, they have lived in France for so long, and they obviously have a deep affinity for the country and its people, but they have never become French citizens. You get the feeling, however, that they'll retire to the home they have in Provence so it's interesting that, w ...more
Susan
Aug 01, 2010 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I didn't think this book would interest me - just another book by expatriates to France. But I didn't know or remember that both Patricia and her husband had been writers all their lives. This turned out to be a surprisingly pleasurable read and it was inspiring how two people could follow their passions, and with a lot of hard work, have lives that make them happy. They also had the good fortune of living in France at a time when the US's gourmet culture was still young and Americans hungered ( ...more
G--
Oct 15, 2008 G-- rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the "charming" school of expat books : (Peter Mayle--to a certain extent Frances Mayes et. al) this book chronicles the struggle of the American couple to make an amazing life in france. It certainly sounds like work, and it also sounds like a good life. It only gets 3 stars, as like many memoirs devoted to a life based on hedonism (hedonism in the best sense) it lacks a moral core. Nevertheless, well worth a read.
Meg Allison
Two of our most famous Francophile expatriats muse of the good life they've created for themselves both in Paris and Provence. Patricia's narrative was much stronger than Walter's, but like any good working partnership, they clearly are in love with their work, with France, and with one another. We are merely along for the ride.
Helen
Leading American food authority on French food.

She and her husband live in France where she teaches cooking to tourists, foodies and anyone interested in local cuisine. She has written numerous cookbooks.

This is their (she and her husband Walter) memoir of their 'new' home and how they arrived there. Told from each point of view it is highly entertaining and captivating.
Danie P.
Aug 18, 2009 Danie P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy travelogues and this expat couple memoir about moving to Paris,France and then to Provence and building a life was wonderful. I didn't want it to end. Patricia Wells includes some of her favorite recipes and tons of pictures.
Melanie Rightmyer
I found the first half of the book rather boring but enjoyed it a bit more when they bought the house in Provence. Even so, it is not a book I would own or read again so that is why I only gave it 2 stars.
Joyce
Jan 11, 2016 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book combines three of my favorite things: France, food, and newspapers. What's not to like?

In addition, the Wells duo are entertaining writers. The sort that has you wishing that you were their friend.
Linda
Feb 10, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it very interesting to read what was behind Patricia Wells interest in food-how she started writing about it, wrote the books and started giving cooking lessons. I liked reading what her husband had to say as well about their lives in both Paris and Provence.
Anniehamnett
A great read if you are planning a trip to france, or just want to be inspired to eat, drink and explore!
Denise Grinols
I'm a fan of Patricia's so I was looking forward to reading the book. their story is interesting but I would have liked more about the food and cooking.
Sharen
Jul 04, 2013 Sharen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting approach - they alternate chapters in telling us about their life in NY, Paris and Provence.
Oct 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A light read, somewhat disjointed, with an "aren't we special" feel to it. But I identified with the authors' loves for Paris and France generally.
Barb
May 25, 2012 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A kind of self-absorbed very rich couple leaves New York to live in Paris and Provence. They don't seem to have any problems at all.
Andrea
I got this as a freebie, and I'm enjoying hearing about their trajectory that brought them to France - and getting a few new recipes too.
Junita
Mar 08, 2010 Junita rated it liked it
Charming and funny, if a little self-indulgent (not that you wouldn't have guessed that from the title).
Cheri
Cheri rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2009
Mary-jane Deeb
Mary-jane Deeb rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2014
Montessahall
Montessahall rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2011
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Christina
Christina rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2010
A
A rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2012
Christine Wu
Christine Wu rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Immoveable Feast: A Paris Christmas
  • Recipe for America: Why Our Food System is Broken and What We Can Do to Fix It
  • A Pig in Provence: Good Food and Simple Pleasures in the South of France
  • Remembrance of Things Paris: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet (Modern Library Food)
  • Eat, Memory: Great Writers at the Table: A Collection of Essays from the New York Times
  • The Foie Gras Wars: How a 5,000-Year-Old Delicacy Inspired the World's Fiercest Food Fight
  • Four Kitchens: My Life Behind the Burner in New York, Hanoi, Tel Aviv, and Paris
  • Eat My Globe: One Year to Go Everywhere and Eat Everything
  • The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty
  • All the Presidents' Pastries: Twenty-Five Years in the White House, A Memoir
  • The Fourth Star: Dispatches from Inside Daniel Boulud's Celebrated New York Restaurant
  • Knives at Dawn: America's Quest for Culinary Glory at the Legendary Bocuse d'Or Competition
  • Spain...A Culinary Road Trip
  • Around the World in 80 Dinners: The Ultimate Culinary Adventure
  • Food Heroes: Sixteen Culinary Artisans Preserving Tradition
  • To Have and Have Another: A Hemingway Cocktail Companion
  • Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
  • Deeply Rooted: Unconventional Farmers in the Age of Agribusiness
Patricia Wells (born 5 November 1946 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) is a cookbook author and teacher who divides her time between Paris and Provence. Her book Patricia Wells at Home in Provence (1996) won the James Beard Award for Best International Cookbook. Wells is the only American and the only woman to be a restaurant critic for a major French publication, L'Express (1988–1991). She was also a rest ...more
More about Patricia Wells...