Start by marking “Mindstorms: The Complete Guide for Families Living with Traumatic Brain Injury” as Want to Read:
Mindstorms: The Complete Guide for Families Living with Traumatic Brain Injury

Mindstorms: The Complete Guide for Families Living with Traumatic Brain Injury

If your loved one has experienced a traumatic brain injury (TBI), you know that its effects can be devastating and often difficult to understand. It may feel as if your world has shifted on its axis, and you'll never get your bearings. Navigating your way through the morass of doctors, medical terms, and the healthcare system can be daunting, especially when you want only ...more
Published June 23rd 2009 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published April 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mindstorms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mindstorms

Kelly Mcdonough
Sep 07, 2012 Kelly Mcdonough rated it it was ok
If you are looking at picking up this book, you either have suffered a tbi or someone you love has. My significant other suffered his head injury 3.5 months ago, which means I'm reading this book about 4 months too late.

This book gives a very high level run down of injury, hospitalization, rehab hospitalization and stories about patient recovery. About the only thing that could have helped me to hear during hospitalization is that during initial hospitalization/medically induced coma/coming out
LibMomTBI
Sep 07, 2016 LibMomTBI rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbi, nonfiction, medical
One of the best books immediately after the injury. Explains in relatively simple terms the tests, procedures, etc.
Joy
Jul 10, 2012 Joy rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent resource to help people understand the complexities of the brain and the complex injuries caused by trauma to it. I'm not sure it's as simply written as the author hoped and I could see it being a little dense in some places for someone who recently found themselves in the sleep-deprived state of someone whose loved one suffered a traumatic brain injury. However, I would certainly recommend it and believe it would be an excellent resource and thoughtful gift for a ...more
JR Hassett
Jul 26, 2014 JR Hassett rated it really liked it
If you have anyone in your life with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), I highly recommend this book. I only wish it had been published in the mid 70's, for the difficult part of TBI is for those that are the caregivers and loved ones of someone who suffers with these deficits.

The book is full of information about the disorder, but discusses ways for family and friends to get beyond guilt and how to help their loved one move on, even if it's just tiny steps and simple ways to cope.

You can read my en
Anita
I don't think that rating this book is entirely appropriate, since its usefulness depends fully on how many of the topics discussed happen to pertain directly to one's loved one suffering from TBI. The book is full of good info and a wealth of examples from real patients' lives. It would possibly have been a great comfort if I had read it during the immediate aftermath of my sister's TBI.
Trent
Apr 12, 2012 Trent rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
Interesting, but hard to get past the authors ense of self. The phrase "in my 25 years of experience"', is used to commence an unnecessarily large number of sentences. The book did provide me a better understanding of the TBI, however, the free booklet on acquired brain injury I sourced from the Synapse organisation (synapse.org.au) provided me with more.
Pr Latta
Would have been more helpful to me right after the TBI occurred since so much of the book takes you through immediate and ICU care, then on to acute rehab. Would be excellant to have available in ICU's.
Janel
Oct 15, 2013 Janel rated it liked it
Read for class for a research project on TBI and its effect on familial relationships. Good reference.
Kris
Kris rated it liked it
May 08, 2014
Cynthia Daniels-Hall
Cynthia Daniels-Hall rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Penny Applegate
Penny Applegate rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2012
Richie
Richie rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2012
Ron Felker
Ron Felker rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Maria E. Ramos
Maria E. Ramos rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Nanci
Nanci rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Helen Carpenter
Helen Carpenter rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Kadry
Kadry rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2012
K.C.
K.C. rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Sarah Peterson
Sarah Peterson rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2015
Michelle Nolan
Michelle Nolan rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Sullafa Kadura
Sullafa Kadura rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2011
Amy Boughner
Amy Boughner rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Julie
Oct 23, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology-books
Incredibly comprehensive summary of TBI and subsequent recovery
John Montgomery
John Montgomery rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Dru
Dru rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2011