Start by marking “Manson in His Own Words” as Want to Read:
Manson in His Own Words

Manson in His Own Words

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,278 ratings  ·  72 reviews
We have called him a devil and quarantined him behind such labels as "the most dangerous man alive." But Charles Manson remains a shocking reminder of our own humanity gone awry. This astonishing book lays bare the life and the mind of a man whose acts have left us horrified. His story provides an enormous amount of new information about his life and how it led to the Tate ...more
Published January 11th 1994 by Grove Press (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Manson in His Own Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manson in His Own Words

The Manson File by Nikolas SchreckHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Family by Ed SandersManson in His Own Words by Charles MansonThe Manson File by Nikolas Schreck
Charles Manson
4th out of 34 books — 30 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Manson File by Nikolas Schreck
True Crime
96th out of 409 books — 432 voters

More lists with this book...

N
This book is terrible and should really be titled 'Charles Manson in Emmons Words.

Forget this pulp-fiction trash and stick with the only two books worth getting on the Manson case and the man himself -

* The Manson File: Myth and Reality of an Outlaw Shaman by Nikolas Schreck of which the 900 + page fully updated 2011 edition is currently only available from Schrecks website but WELL WORTH getting.

* Charles Manson Now by Marlin Marynick.

"Emmons took his life, and put that in my book..then he too
SenoraG
Article first published as Book Review: Manson In His Own Words by Charles Manson & Nuel Emmons on Blogcritics.

Say what you want, but Charles Manson fascinates me. I do believe he is crazy and should not be out walking around, but, still, something about him makes me want to try to figure out how his mind works and why it works the way it does.

Manson In His Own Words was a little bit helpful. Honestly, I don't know how much of it is accurate. The author Nuel Emmons says himself that he did n
Andy
This one's culled from interviews, and is therefore told, to some degree, in Manson's "voice". Oddly enough, this book, more than others, should be taken with a grain of salt, as being a pathological liar is part of the culture of psychopathy that Manson is steeped in.

Given a relatively high star rating (I really wish we could use half-stars; this would be a 3.5) due to its entertainment value, rather than its veracity.
Pat Shackleford
Manson in his own words. Not the harbinger of the apocalyptic race war, I thought him to be. Just a man who spend half his life interned, hooking up with the sixties love generation. Who became later a victim of a media-hype and former friends snitching on him. Although he isn't 100% innocence.
Rachel James
Out of all of the books I've read on Manson, this one is the least sensational and the most interesting, primarily of course because it was actually written in his words. Whether he's being honest or not, it's always compelling to hear a murder's version of events.
Tyrell Warner
Emmons makes an attempt at telling the truth about the Manson case, but apparently fails due to his own nervous nature.

Claiming to offer Mansons unadulterated words, an angry Manson actually rescinded his support for the entire work after it was published due to changes to its content after Emmons already thought he had achieved final form on its pages.

The apparently sincerely apologetic Emmons actually wrote to Manson in prison several times apologizing for the New York publishers who were dest
Michelle
It's difficult to tell how much in here is true because even by his own accounts, Manson was full of drugs for a few years of his life. He claims he has no special powers, no special abilities that caused people to do what he told them to. But when he talked, people listened. Most of the time, they were just as full of acid as he was. But they listened, and practiced what he preached. It was definitely an interesting read because most (if not all) other literature on the Manson murders tells the ...more
Chris
Very good to hear about Manson's life in his own words. How much is true we can't tell, but I did feel sorry for him a few times. He claims the worst he ever did was cut a man's ear off and pimp hoes. I believe him. Should he really be held responsible for what other people did of their own free will?
Samantha Scott
I read this after I read Helter Skelter. This was Charles Manson's response to that book. This was his defense and his reasoning behind everything that happened. Whether you agree or not, it's a very intersting book to see how the mind of one of the most famous convicts ended up where he is.
Lisa
This was a GREAT book. It was totally unbiased and the author let Charlie do all of the talking. Very interesting to hear what he has to say about his life and how it turned out.
Marv Gunning
No parole for you buddy.
sarah
this book is awesome
Jessica Price
This book was simply amazing. Not the series of events mind you, but the book itself. These crimes have always fascinated me because they were like a puzzle. Happening out of nowhere, for no apparent reason. It's always amazed me because I want to know exactly what happens, and why. I want to know how someones mind works. This book explains all of it. And who better to tell it than Manson himself. The author is ridiculously awesome as well. The author was an inmate with Manson at one point in ti ...more
Timothy Holst
Well, he doesn't actually say he was innocent...

But it's filled with interesting stuff--particularly about his childhood and his (albeit whitewashed) version of the murders. Worth a look, but only after Helter Skelter...
Barry
Charles Manson as a human being first, convicted felon second. Behind every incarnation of evil there is a flesh and blood person, even Hitler had a mother.
Eric
Good stuff! He really thinks outside the box. He forces us to look at ourselves. We are stinking liars so very often and so so deep inside.
Kate
Very disturbing book, yet somehow unremarkable. The book is a result of many jailhouse interviews between Manson and a former convict. Manson's childhood sounds pretty awful; an illegitimate child, he was passed among family members while his mother was in jail, moved frequently as a young child while living with his mother, and was finally relinquished to a boys' home so that he didn't get in the way of his mother's relationships.

Aside from his time with an aunt and uncle who provided him with
Amber
I really liked this book. Even if Manson is a disturbed individual with mental disorders-and some of his words were changed or written wrong by the author it still is nice to get his perspective of his life and the situations we famously know him for. Manson never denies involvement or being guilty of something. He believes that the justice system and media created an image they could feed to everyone about him that isn't entirely accurate. And in turn is receiving the majority of the consequenc ...more
Stacey
A peek inside the mind of a consummate manipulator and con man. Most of what he says here has been contradicted by (blood) family who all remember things quite differently. But you wanted a juicy story, so Charlie delivered.
Randice Shelton
good to hear his perspective, he is actually a smart ass and smarter than people may think he is. It was interesting hearing his life growing up before he was famous for the murders.
Kimberly
Don't waste your time. You already know everything in it. The author is above this drivel, I hope. Manson should have been executed years ago.
Juan
Great Book because it lets the reader get inside Manson's head and see his thought processes. 'Nuff said!
Dave
One of the strangest stories ever told. Somehow important and unimportant. This book makes you think that Beluosi (sp?) made our idea of the Manson "family" into what it was. It makes more sense that they were a bunch of kids who got too high and talked about some Helter Sekelter stuff among other things, did mean stupid violent stuff to other people, and then had the idea of getting their friend out of jail by committing a murder in a similar style to his so thet he would be released. There is ...more
Holly Evans
Gave some real insight into his life, why he did what he did, and his explanations of everything.
Helen
Definitely a rivoting read. Whereas I feel some parts were definitely Charles Manson's words there were definitely thoughts inserted by the author so that this is truly not fully written by Charles Manson IMHO. When I first read Helter Skelter I was very pro Charles Manson as I bought into his defense that he didn't actually commit the murders and therefore should notvhave been found guilty but the last two books I have read about the murders, this one included I am now more against Manson as I ...more
Marissa
This book is fascinating, gripping, powerful. Still, its contents should obviously be taken with a grain of salt.

I like Nuel Emmons and his convict-to-writer transformation, and I think this book offers an alternative view to complement the wildly exaggerated "Helter Skelter" BS propagated by the DA, media and prosecutors.

William Burroughs lauded the book as "compulsively readable" and the dedication of the book states its purpose clearly: dedicated to destroying a myth. A good read, albeit no
Kelley
I thought this was an interesting look into Manson's perspective on things. However, I agree with many others that it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I find it hard to believe that the Tate murders just sort of happened with them deciding on a whim a couple hours prior to that to go there and end up creating the mayhem that they did. It was interesting that Charlie did take some responsibility for the Labianca murders. One just needs to keep in perspective his state of mind overall and t ...more
Edward Fivel
Crazy stories from the mouth of Manson himself.
Lisa Ann Gallagher
It's a fascinating read into those dark days of the summer of 1969, the life of the Manson Family and the Tate-LaBianca crimes but, A) It's actually written by someone who knew Manson in prison years ago and relies upon Emmon's memory of what Manson told him, and B) Charles Manson is a patholical liar, a sociopath who has repeatedly allowed others to take the blame for his portion of the crimes and has a Jesus complex. Don't expect this to be the "truth" but do expect it to be a wild ride throug ...more
Brandon Carmody
I can read between the lines, Manson is an expert on wording things that make him look good/not as bad. This book was interesting, but Helter Skelter was much better.
  • The Family
  • Alone With the Devil: Famous Cases of a Courtroom Psychiatrist
  • Deviant: The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original "Psycho"
  • Death Scenes: A Homicide Detective's Scrapbook
  • The Manson File: Myth and Reality of an Outlaw Shaman
  • Cellar of Horror
  • The Riverman: Ted Bundy and I Hunt for the Green River Killer
  • Will You Die for Me?
American criminal who led the "Manson Family," a quasi-commune that arose in the U.S. state of California in the later 1960s.

He was found guilty of conspiracy to commit the Tate-LaBianca murders, which members of the group carried out at his instruction. Through the joint-responsibility rule of conspiracy, he was convicted of the murders themselves.

Manson is forever associated with "Helter Skelte
More about Charles Manson...
The Manson File ATWA I vostri bambini. Your children. Testo inglese a fronte The Manson File: Myth and Reality of an Outlaw Shaman Rapid Eye 1

“The mind is endless. You put me in a dark solitary cell, and to you that's the end, to me it's the beginning, it's the universe in there, there's a world in there, and I'm free.” 36 likes
“There is no way that you can know the taste of water unless you drink it or unless it has rained on you or unless you jump in the river.” 9 likes