Start by marking “Rest You Merry (Professor Peter Shandy Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Rest You Merry

Charlotte MacLeod

Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,598 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
Professor Peter Shandy finally succumbs to Jemima Ames, Chairperson for Balaclava Agricultural College's major fundraiser, the Grand Illumination. He buries his small brick house under an avalanche of tawdry plastic and escapes on a sea cruise. But he returns to find Jemima dead on his living room floor and a murder to solve.
The Armchair Detective Library, 222 pages
Published by O. Penzler Books (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Rest You Merry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rest You Merry

Delee

Christmas great escape group read..with my Great Escape gals!! :D

3.5
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 01, 2016 Ivonne Rovira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy lovers, especially Kelling fans
I adored the late Charlotte MacLeod’s Kelling series so, so much that I devoured all 12 books and only wish she’d lived to write a dozen more. So when my book club, the Great Escape, suggested Rest You Merry, the first novel in MacLeod’s Peter Shandy series, as our December read, no one was more enthusiastic than I.

Curmudgeonly bachelor Peter Shandy’s a tenured professor of agrology at Balaclava Agricultural College in Balaclava Junction, Massachusetts. While he’s gone, the wife of his best fri
☕Laura
I downloaded this book a few days ago because I was looking for a quick read to fit in before Christmas, and this one had good ratings. For me it was pretty mediocre. The characters felt pretty interchangeable and the mystery wasn't especially clever. Overall it was just okay and I don't plan to read more in the series. And I didn't even finish it by Christmas!
Karen
Dec 01, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(full post at http://wellreadpiratequeen.blogspot.c... The Well-Read Pirate Queen)

I love Peter Shandy.

Like, big puffy heart love.

Like, more than I ever loved Gilbert Blythe love.

He's a 56 year old professor at an agricultural college in Massachussetts. He's intelligent. He's snarky. He's compulsive. He's impulsive. He's also been such a private type that his colleagues and neighbors on campus didn't seem to realize some of these things until one particular Christmas season.

Every year the campus
Beverly
A fun "who-dunnit" with a Christmas theme.

Peter Shandy is a professor at the esteemed Balaclava College. During the Illumination, the yearly Christmas celebration on campus, Shandy stumbles onto not just one, but two dead bodies. When the authorities don't seem to share his sense of urgency, Shandy - along with help from the ever resourceful Helen Marsh - does some detective work of his own.

While I felt this dragged a tad in some parts, I enjoyed the story as a whole and would like to read the
Cindy
Sep 03, 2007 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of comic mystery
Shelves: mysteries, christmas, cozy
First in the Peter Shandy series. Very funny. Set at the fictional Balaclava Agricultural College. Out of print, something different. Worth looking for.
Abbey
1977, #1 Professor Peter Shandy, Balaclava Agricultural College, New England; murder of an obnoxious woman at Christmastime involves a quiet academic in sleuthing and affection; her first adult novel, it's filled with all the right stuff for a lovely cosy village-type comedy/mystery, plus a bit more. Three-and-one-half stars.

Peter Shandy has had enough. QUITE enough, thank you, of being badgered and harrassed by the university's faculty wives, about participating in the college's annual “Illumi
Beckiezra
3.5? The characters were kind of caricatures and the setting was kind of hard to identify (they kept talking about doing or eating things I identify as British but they seemed to be based outside of Boston). The local police didn't even qualify as a joke and I don't know if that's a product of the 1970s, small towns, or just bad research. I mean if someone is dead in someone else's house wouldn't an autopsy be kind of mandatory? The mystery wasn't an easy solve, I had suspicions about certain pe ...more
Lori Henrich
Aug 26, 2011 Lori Henrich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this story. This series looks like it will be a fun one to read.

Peter Shandy is a professor at an agricultural college. They area he lives in on the college grounds really goes all out for Christmas. Peter doesn't care to put up decorations. The ladies of the decorating committee are pressuring him so he comes up with a plan to put up hideous decorations and then leave town for the holidays. His trip doesn't go off as planned and he is forced to return home. Upon his arrival back ho
Michelle
Dec 31, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in Charlotte MacLeod's Professor Shandy mysteries. In it we are introduced to Professor Shandy and several of the recurring characters in this series. Although each mystery stands on its own, it does help to read this one first if you can so that you can get to know these characters. If you enjoy humor based on character portrayals, you will enjoy these mysteries.
Stephanie
A straightforward murder mystery that doesn't make its reader think, but just enjoy it. An easy read that doesn't take much concentration to keep the characters straight, and it's cozy setting and late 70's time period makes for a nice, pleasant get away from the regular world for a few hours.
3.5 stars, and recommended to anyone to likes/loves "cozy mysteries".
Megan
Dec 15, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, whimsical mystery that honestly put me more in mind of Dorothy Sayers than Agatha Christie. I wanted to read a holiday book and it was a pretty good choice.
Maureen DeLuca
2.5- to 3.0 - Cozy mystery- ok read- slowly starting to get ready for Christmas! xx
Jamie Collins
Apr 09, 2017 Jamie Collins rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle
2.5 stars. A cozy murder mystery set at a fictional agricultural college in New England in the 1970’s, during the Christmas season. It’s not a bad read, just a little bland. It’s a contemporary novel, and there are only a few bits which let you recognize the time period, such as people literally dialing telephones, the mention of the library’s card catalog, and the assumption of which gender does the cooking and housework.

There’s a nice collection of quirky characters living in a quirky college
Diane
I love this book! Do yourself a favor: at least read the hilarious first chapter. It can stand alone as a short story, & it's readable for free (completely included in the Kindle sample).

RYM starts out with perhaps the funniest "Bah, humbug!" a likable fellow has ever committed, then proceeds to introduce a colorful cast of characters in a clever little mystery.

I don't always like "quirky" cozy mysteries -- sometimes they seem to be trying so hard to be funny that you can't care about the p
Susan in NC
Never fails to lift my spirits and make me laugh out loud! One of my favorite Christmas rereads, this is the first in the author's witty, charming, clever Professor Peter Shandy series set at a small agricultural college in rural Massachusetts. Quirky characters, literate and funny dialogue and a delightfully twisted murder mystery - what's not to love?

2015 - Always a favorite reread, still holds up and makes me smile and laugh out loud in a few spots, fun! I try and fit in a reread every year,
Trin
Mar 10, 2009 Trin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, american-lit
Perfectly pleasant cozy-type mystery, which takes place in the ’70s and stars an old-fashioned professor at a small American agricultural college. I liked Professor Shandy’s quiet wit and general oddness, and MacLeod manages to deliver at least one deliciously creepy image. This was a rec from Wychwood, and I can see why she enjoys the series; if I stumbled across any of MacLeod’s other books at a library sale, I’d probably snatch them up. However, this wasn’t memorable enough that I’ll be activ ...more
Gail
Jan 07, 2016 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, audio-book
I used to love this series so when the audiobook was on sale, I got it. It is full of outrageous people at a small agricultural college. I think I have worked too long in higher education because I found this all just plain silly. Plus the hero's love interest, a librarian was a little too demure and a little too perfect a love match.

Higher education is ripe for biting satire, but this is not it.....
Patti
This is an annual re-read for me, and it was fun, as usual. I love the description of Peter's outside decorations, and the escape he makes immediately afterwards. I also love that he meets Helen March, librarian, through circumstances difficult to explain without plot giveaways; happily for me, the two are meant for each other :).
Polly
Jan 05, 2012 Polly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny!
Jilly
Feb 02, 2017 Jilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice for an easy read. some laugh out loud moments. Like the main character.
Karen
Nov 12, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte MacLeod's books are in the Kindle unlimited program, so I thought I would try them. The are light and humorous murder mysteries, great for when I need a change of pace.
Nora
Dec 08, 2016 Nora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. Staying home after minor surgery I read it cover to cover. Great not too subtle humor!
Lisa
Dec 03, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely start to the Christmas period!

photo Christmas lights_zpsufkmoxny.jpg

Who knew Christmas decs could cause such discombobulation?!!

This is a light hearted murder mystery set at Christmas. Lots of laughs and Christmas monkey business.

V entertaining :)
Peter Barr
Jan 13, 2017 Peter Barr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in a series of Whodunits by Charlotte MacLeod. The main character is Professor Peter Shandy of the Bacalava Agricultural College in Massachusetts. He comes home early from a holiday cruise to find a neighbor dead in his house. Initially, it is thought to be an accident but Shandy and the decedent's spouse believe this to be a homicide. The rest is an interesting and humorous story.
JBradford
Reading this book right after reading Total Recall, I was struck by the fact that I had to comment in the review of that book on how capably Paretsky had kept her different characters straight--or, rather, so well defined that I as a reader had no difficulty in keeping them straight, even though there were considerably more than two dozen of them. In this book, however, I kept getting lost, absolutely confused as to who was who, when there were only a dozen of so characters. I am intrigued by th ...more
Jonathan
Aug 27, 2013 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Book Review: Rest You Merry by Charlotte MacLeod

This is the first book in the long running (10 books) Peter and Helen Shandy mystery series, by the late Charlotte MacLeod, veteran mystery writer. It came out in 1978 and feature Professor Shandy, an aging bachelor professor at a fictitious New England college. A book very much in the Agatha Christie school of mystery, it was a humorous "closed door" murder mystery that provided several memorable characters.

Professor Shandy, a bachelor in his earl
Elena
Rest You Merry is a litte, cute cozy mystery, perfect for this time of the year. MacLeod is not America's Agatha Christie, as the cover claims: the mystery is far from the masterpieces which are Christie's works, but the book is nonetheless very well-built and enjoyable to read.

The thing I appreciated most was the writing, which is always neat and elegant, and at the same time deliciously witty: I really laughed out loud at several lines. And the writing is what makes the main character, Profess
Carol
Dec 23, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never read anything by Charlotte MacLeod until I read her story in Mistletoe Mysteries a couple of weeks ago. When I was looking for a Christmas mystery that I hadn’t read yet, I ran across Rest You Merry. Since her story in the collection had been fine, not one of my favorites but not one I disliked, and this is the first in a series, I decided to give it a listen. I’m glad I did. Peter Shandy is a great character and the way the holiday tied into the mystery was well-done. I don’t want t ...more
C.
Apr 27, 2013 C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps it is with the knowledge that Charlotte MacLeod first drafted this as a short story, that I find the introduction weaker, detached from the astonishingly well-developed setting that unfolds. There is a smorgasbord of characters to digest, which is fine if one is on board with the protagonist. I relate less well to the male perspective, if nowhere near my lifestyle. At first, ‘Peter Shandy’ come across as a doddering, unmarried professor who appears out of synch with his peers. He overdoe ...more
Goodreads Librari...: quotes around publisher name 3 17 Dec 24, 2013 08:26PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Rest You Merry 1 3 Dec 31, 2012 07:11PM
  • The Grub-And-Stakers Move a Mountain (Grub-and-Stakers Mystery, #1)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • Eleven Pipers Piping (Father Christmas Mystery #2)
  • The Body In The Transept (Dorothy Martin, #1)
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • The Alpine Advocate (Emma Lord, #1)
  • The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #1)
  • Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #1)
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald, #6)
  • The Christmas Carol Murders
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
Naturalized US Citizen

Also wrote as Alisa Craig

Charlotte MacLeod, born in New Brunswick, Canada, and a naturalized U.S. citizen, was the multi-award-winning author of over thirty acclaimed novels. Her series featuring detective Professor Peter Shandy, America's homegrown Hercule Poirot, delivers "generous dollops of...warmth, wit, and whimsy" (San Francisco Sunday Examiner and Chronicle). But full
More about Charlotte MacLeod...

Peter Shandy (10 books)
  • The Luck Runs Out (Peter Shandy, #2)
  • Wrack and Rune (Peter Shandy, #3)
  • Something The Cat Dragged In (Peter Shandy, #4)
  • The Curse of the Giant Hogweed (Peter Shandy, #5)
  • The Corpse in Oozak's Pond (Peter Shandy, #6)
  • Vane Pursuit (Peter Shandy, #7)
  • An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy, #8)
  • Something in the Water (Peter Shandy, #9)
  • Exit the Milkman (Peter Shandy, #10)

“Man cannot live by swine alone.” 0 likes