Start by marking “Calling Romeo” as Want to Read:
Calling Romeo

Calling Romeo

3.28  ·  Rating Details ·  2,094 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
Juliet is an attractive, successful woman in a comfortable long-term relationship with Will, but she can't help feeling that they've become more like friends who have sex than lovers. Temptation calls, but will she risk losing Will?
Published January 1st 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Calling Romeo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calling Romeo

Tea Jovanović
Ovo je prvi roman Aleksandre Poter koji sam pročitala... i zaključila da na nju treba obratiti pažnju, da ima potencijal i da može biti interesantna našim čitaocima... ali da ova knjiga nije dovoljno dobra (po mom mišljenju) da bi se s njom krenulo...
Veronica Widya
hmm,, calling romeo..
the story is ordinary, but there's a good meaning that contain in there.
like we know, the story was telling about the relationship between 2 lovers. will and juliet, they falling in love but they experience saturation in their relationship. i think its natural. ppl who having relationship over years must be experience such thing. its almost impossible that they still adore one another after a plenty years. and juliet experience that.
she love will, but for her will is just li
Milena
Jun 27, 2016 Milena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
В своя защита ще кажа, че ми предстоеше да чакам 2 часа пред кабинета на лекаря. В компанията на жега, баби и бебата. Беше единствената книга в реп-чето - 5лв с космополитън.
Списанието беше по интересно :(
Jack
Feb 26, 2011 Jack rated it it was ok
Alright, if I have to sum it up in two words, I would say -- excruciatingly long and the only reason as to why it wasn't half a star or a star is -- I liked Trudy. And no, she is not the main character. Honestly speaking, after having read a decent book by Alexandra Potter, I find myself somewhat disappointed by the book. It was long and no, I have no problem with reading long books, I've read Harry Potter and loved it, remember. Maybe that's it, chick-lit is definitely not my genre. Juliet (I f ...more
Sara
I had a problem with this book: pace. It was too, too slow!! It took an effort to get through the first 40% (I am reasoning kindle), after that luckily it got a little faster but not nearly enough to name the book gripping. The main story was ok I guess, but the side stories were annoying. The best friend part was boring in the beginning, depressing in the middle, and just meh in the end. The 80-years-old naighboor part useless! A waste of pages, the author uses it in the end, but should have fo ...more
Dwayne
Mar 20, 2011 Dwayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book-copy
Reviewed @ Girls Without a Bookshelf.

I'm not certain why I somehow still read books about someone infidelity when I know that all it ends up doing is making me feel terribly agonised. It irks me to no end, but perhaps I keep looking for a book that gives an insight to both sides of the party. Well, Calling Romeo fits well, but it isn't the best read, I don't think.

I'm very torn about my response to this book. On the one hand, the trickling pace of the plot bored me. Too much narrative! I was tem
Thenia
Yet another book with a misguiding title and review. It's not about a fluffy romance between one-dimensional characters. It's about the excitement brought by the new and unknown, the stability of the familiar and the choice between the two.

This is the story of Juliet and Will, a couple of more than 2 years, that seem to be more or less estranged at the beginning of the book. A few stupid decisions and wrong turns later and they both get a wake up call and start re-evaluating their lives and thei
Ariana
Apr 19, 2010 Ariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet-romance
It took me a while to finish this book since i was so busy these days but it totally worth it. :)

It's a beautiful book about the true meaning of "ever after", about what a relationship really is (with good and bad), about making mistakes, about how hard it is to find the true love (and the bitterness of realizing too late that it was right beside you and you lost it so foolishly).
It's funny and emotional, it's romantic and dramatic.. it's all in one, and it's amazing. I definitely recommend it
SpikedLove
Jan 19, 2010 SpikedLove rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I am not one to normally give up on a book. However I reached about the 100th page and just really could not take how slow the book was forming. It possibly could be that I am simply not in a patient mood so I might return to try to reread this book but as of right now I do not suggest it.
Tonka
Apr 16, 2017 Tonka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Krásna kniha. Najkrajšia a najlepšia doposiaľ od tejto autorky.
Tak krásna myšlienka. Mala som slzy v očiach po dočítaní tejto knihy. Dojala ma. Neskutočne ma dojala. Samozrejme, ten spisovateľkin štýl písania tam bol. Bola to vtipná, romantická, oddychová kniha, ktorá vás pohladí na duši. Milujem Willa, ale vážne ho milujem, je jednoducho skvelý. Aj tak stále nechápem, prečo každý Will v knihe musí byť skvelý. Vy to viete?
Krásne...už som to písala, že?
No nemám slova.
A tá myšlienka o láske je nez
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
Whew. I finally finished reading this one. I should tell you, this is definitely not an easy read. I find myself annoyed with it at times that i wanted to throw it away and never read it again. well,not literally throw it away.haha. But its just that i find it annoying thus making it hard to read for me. Get my point? Well right. Moving on.

The story revolves around Juliet. A lady with a decent job, decent life and a decent boyfriend. Will, Juliet's long-time boyfriend has seemed to be more absor
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Juliet Morris, account manager in an advertising firm, was supposed to meet her boyfriend, Will Barraclough on their much awaited catch-up date; unfortunately, Will stood her up. It made her think about their relationship and if they could still bring back the love they used to have for each other.

After the disappointing no-show, pent-up emotions rose as she ventured Oxford Street under the cold rain – and then her new sheepskin coat got splashed with rain water by a handsome Aston Martin driver
Ferina
Jul 12, 2007 Ferina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, romance
Hari Valentine harusnya jadi hari yang romantis untuk Juliet, tapi ternyata justru di malam Valentine itu Juliet malah ‘ditelantarkan’ Will, pacarnya, yang lupa akan janji makan malam sama Juliet. Dan bukan itu aja, dalam perjalanan pulang di tengah hujan, sebuah mobil sport mewah yang lewat menciprati baju Juliet yang dibeli dengan hampir membuat kartu kreditnya berteriak ‘Overlimit’. Si pengemudi mobil tidak berhenti sedikit pun untuk minta ma’af.

Kejadian malam itu, membuat Juliet berpikir ula
Arra Abella
Feb 14, 2013 Arra Abella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hopeless romantics, Adults
This is a novel based on William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet but it was set in the modern times and it has a very different twist.

The love story was a roller coaster ride for me. On one hand, I get really love drunk whenever the scene was romantic or just plain sweet. Sometimes, I even blush for the protagonist, Juliet, because I was really overwhelmed on how the events turned out.

On the other hand, the story was a tearjerker. Tears filled up my eyes when I got to the climax part. It was real
MrsPeel
Apr 26, 2009 MrsPeel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If this, her first novel, was the first book I had read of Potter, I would most certainly, undoubtely, not have read the other two..... I just finished this book because I kept expecting that the Alexandra Potter with an imagination and a better writing style would show up any minute....but she didnt.
Not that I think she is something out of this world, but her two other books really enterteined me, this one just annoyed me a bit....like usually all British female characters do at the beginning,
Zoe
Mar 24, 2015 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I can't quite understand the negative views on this book. Seen the front cover and noted the back? You know you're getting a genuine chick-lit fluff overload. Saying that, I devoured this in a single day. I really, really enjoyed this but then again I enjoy *ALL* of Alexandra Potter's books. This one was a complete gem. Started off with a relationship getting 'overly comfortable' and lacking excitement - the girl has an affair etc etc - but I found it so entertaining throughout despite the clich
Mimi
Jan 12, 2011 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome. It's about love.It explains that Love is not only about VAlentine's or dating, or one-thousand roses or romantic holiday in romance country like Italy. But, it's about trust, faith and kindness. Find out how Juliet tried to get her love back, when her 'husband-to-be' Will discovered that she had a fling with a guy called Sykes, a gorgeous half-Italian man...;)
Annalynn
Jul 07, 2010 Annalynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Imane
I read other Alexandra Potter books and I did like them but this one is a little boring . There's nothing special about it . A couple Juliet and Will who are facing few problems in their lives which is somthing ordinary in every relationship. It was a very long boring story that I couldn't finish.
Judy
Sep 18, 2008 Judy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I read about 3/4 of the book hoping it would get better before finally giving up.
Frenchorchidea
Oct 18, 2013 Frenchorchidea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lovely read! i had a great time reading it!!!!!
Alexandra
May 04, 2017 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
It's truly one of my favorite romances. Everything about it was perfect: the characters, their relationship, the writing... EVERYTHING! I highly recommend it to all romantics out there! :)
Mia Taylor
This book was too slow for me and the story not that captivating
Leah
Jan 31, 2011 Leah rated it it was ok
It’s fair to say that I’m a big ol’ fan of Alexandra Potter. I’ve read most of her novels and on the whole I do enjoy them. However, I do find myself prone to not liking certain aspects of some of her novels. I enjoyed Who’s That Girl? but I didn’t like how it ended, for example but on the other hand her latest book You’re The One That I Don’t Want was fab. So when I received Calling Romeo to review, I was intrigued. It’s a re-release and originally came out in 2002 before she started adding the ...more
Suad Shamma
Nov 23, 2012 Suad Shamma rated it did not like it
Shelves: own, 2014
What a shit book to tell you the truth. Absolutely, utter drivel is what this book is.

Firstly, I've said this time and time again, I despise infidelity! And I despise characters who cheat on their partners. They redeem themselves a little bit when their partner is a complete jerk, and they end up leaving him/her to be with the person they cheated on them with. However, when it's simply cheating for the sake of cheating, then there is no redemption as far as I'm concerned.

Juliet, oh Juliet, what
Els
Okay, so Alexandra Potter's Calling Romeo was a chick-lit that I had a problem putting down. I do like a good chick-lit, no matter how dire.

This book was pretty good, I do like Alexandra Potter. I bought it in the WHSmith in the train station that I was waiting in to go to Paris. I didn't expect much from it, just that it'd be a nice holiday read. I really got into it though.

My favourite character had to be Will, bless him. I loved him. At the beginning of the book, I thought he was going to be
Su
Oct 18, 2012 Su rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pace of the book was normal at the beginning, became extremely slow in the middle and fast again at the end. The middle was the reason why it took me so long to finish the whole book; it was so slow that it became incredibly boring.
The book started with Valentine's day where Juliet got stood up by her long-term boyfriend Will and that gave her the chance to bump into a rich and handsome stranger, Sykes. My feelings for Juliet was sympathetic at the beginning as Will was being a lazy jerk wh
Lim Denise
Jan 31, 2014 Lim Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This wold be my first time to write a review here in goodreads, just so that I could do more justice to this novel.

So here goes, Calling Romeo is loosely based on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. As most of us would probably know even without reading the book, this is a novel about L-O-V-E.

What i'm trying to say is: If you ain't a romantic, then there's not the slightest chance that you would adore this novel.Stop reading the book and save yourselves from self induced misery.

(view spoiler)
Fabulous Book Fiend
I do enjoy Alexandra Potter’s novels and so I was expecting this to be similar to her earlier novel, Me and Mr Darcy which I loved, however I was surprised to find that Shakespeare’s Romeo doesn’t actually appear in this novel. It does, however centre around heroine Juliet, but this is where the similarities end. Juliet experiences that kind of irritating complacency which one often experiences at that certain point in a relationship and so finds herself looking for solutions elsewhere, which is ...more
Fluffychick
Juliet lives with her boyfriend Will and over time things have become a bit dull. After Will left his well paid job, flashy car and designer suits to set up a garden design business with his friend, he has gradually settled into a smelly, bobbly fleece and nights in with a chicken jalfrezi, dozing in front of the telly. The final straw for Juliet is when he forgets a long planned Valentine Day's meal and leaves her alone and mud splattered on Oxford Street. Her chance meeting with Sykes; gorgeou ...more
Why Skye? 2 19 May 01, 2013 02:18AM
  • Hating Valentine's Day
  • The Bridesmaid and the Billionaire
  • Sir, I Think The Badboy Knows About Us...
  • Does She or Doesn't She?
  • In One Year and Out the Other: A New Year's Story Collection
  • Single White E-Mail
  • The Billionaire's Captive Bride
  • Like Yesterday
  • Blondes Have More Felons (December Vaughn, #1)
  • Trust Me
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend
  • Balancing in High Heels
  • Shylock's Daughter
Alexandra Potter is the best-selling author of ELEVEN novels that can be described as romantic comedies with a magical twist. Born in England, she has lived in London, Sydney, Australia and New York and LA, and can currently be found clocking up too many air miles travelling the globe researching ideas for her new book...
instagram: alexpotterbooks
More about Alexandra Potter...

“For a split second they stared at each other. A fleeting, lasting moment. One person noticing another person out of a whole crowd of strangers.” 40 likes
“And like a soprano shattering glass, Juliet heard something snap deep inside.
It was the sound of her heart breaking.”
38 likes