Start by marking “Emma's Secret (Emma Harte Saga #4)” as Want to Read:
Emma's Secret (Emma Harte Saga #4)
Preview

Emma's Secret (Emma Harte Saga #4)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,996 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Paula O'Neil has inherited her grandmother Emma Harte's dream for success-a magnificent business empire in London shared by Paula's daughters, Linnet and Tessa. Yet their future is far less secure than any woman imagines. For beneath the dazzling surface, flares a rivalry and discontent that leave them vulnerable to the dreams of others.

Into the fray arrives enigmatic Amer
Published November 2nd 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published July 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Emma's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emma's Secret

Sidna
Years ago I read A Woman of Substance, Bradford's first book about Emma Harte. It was basically a romance novel, but I knew that when I started it. It told the story of an unusual woman who pulled herself up from nothing to found a wealthy department store chain in Great Britain.

The first book was interesting because of the changes in the characters' lives and their loves, etc. This book is about the lives of Emma's grandchildren, who are hard workers and decent people despite having lived in gr
Stuart Aken
• EMMA’S SECRET by Barbara Taylor Bradford, Harper Collins
506 pps. 47 chaps, 3 parts. 172,000 words.
A family saga and part of a series based on A Woman of Substance. The author breaks almost every rule ever made for fiction and doesn’t always get away with it. Some of her dialogue is banal and stilted, there are long passages of tedious description of clothes and décor, viewpoint changes frequently and without notice and the complex relationships are not helped by the use of similar names for s
Ines
I found the book very uneven, sometimes interesting but most just boring. This book is part of a saga, which worried me at first whether I could understand the little details, since I haven't read the other books but the author explains everything. And I really mean EVERYTHING. She even repeats herself, as if the reader wouldn't remember what he/she read a couple of chapters before!
There are too many characters and each character has a story line which makes story hard to follow at times. The mi
Joanne
A continuation of the Emma Harte A Woman of Substance series. Book #4

A little confusing at 1st to remember the characters since I read the first book about 8 years ago. There is a nice family tree in the front for reference.

Loved it - family and history. Story goes between 2001 and back to 1940's war time London to reveal the secret Emma kept.

Evan Hughes travels to England after her grandmother Glynnis tells on her deathbed to go see Emma Harte. Emma has been dead 30 years, but Evan is given a
Lexi

I believe I Mooched this book, once I got into the series. I finished it last night. This is the fourth book in the Harte saga, and it was just as good as the rest of the series. This book begins to focus on the fourth generation of Hartes, Kallinskis, and O'Neills. Emma's great-granddaughter, Linnet, daughter of Paula, has begun to work at Harte's, and the beginning of the book focuses on her. It follows the great-grands as they attempt to continue Emma's legacy in the business world at the beg
Another $1 book from the clearance shelf. I guess this is part of a series. It stands alone which is good, but nothing really made me want to hunt down the other books.
Andrew
I thought this was a really good read. There are a lot of characters in the book and it takes a little getting used to in terms of the different family gatherings. An excellent read and I have now started the next book in the serious. Barbara Taylor Bradford writes really well and she's definitely been added to my list of favourite authors!
Lindsay
This was an ok read. I read it on the beach in Hawaii. It was left by someone at the condo we stayed at and I needed a book. Romance/family saga. It was a pretty fast read.
Bakhtawar Memon
The exciting and the most thrilling novel it is. I must say curiosity got the best of me while reading such an intrigued and passionate tale by this writer.
M.
It was okay but it had a to-be-continued ending. I wish it would have had more closure.
Not interesting enough to read the next one.
Lauren
I put historical, in part because it did have a flashback section, but this book confused me for the longest part too in reference to this supposed secret. Yes, there was one, but it wasn't completely revealed until towards the end. Before that, it was like, ok, suspense? What happened to it? Intregue? Where is it? Not the worst book I've read, but I still wouldn't read it again. I DO however want to find the accompanying books as it seems it's actually a series and I do want to find out what's ...more
Judith
Emma's secret was a terrible disappointment.. I have read all her previous books and in spite of that found it difficult to keep track of the vast cast of characters.It took three pages to list all of them. I had to frequently refer to her index. Finally, after nearly 500 pages, the book just fizzled out. After hinting at some devious plot being laid by the villain he just upped and pushed off to Hong Kong. Since this is the fourth book in a series this is probable a precursor to the next book. ...more
A little confusing & long-winded.
Clara Weinberger
Love the story line a must read. It a saga and so far it hast four part and once again I read it all the books.
Sababa
It was not a bad book, but I felt it dwelt on the past. I did not like reading about Emma during the wars. It was boring.
I liked reading Tessa's character. I enjoyed that she was not perfect. It made her more human. On the other hand, Linnet seems very fake. She seems to be an embodiment of perfection. And how come Paula looks like Emma and Linnet looks like Emma. Its weird and unbelievable. I don't like reading it. Although I liked Jullian. I wish to read more about him.
Over all not a bad book,
Joanne Heim
A great fourth book in the series. On to the next ASAP!!
Michelle Bacon
The only deduction I can come up with on this particular book is that maybe it's part of a series because things did not fall into place and left me asking many questions as to who people were and where they fit in this story. I'm not a fan of contemporary romances in the first place which may have also left a bad taste in my mouth about this book. I have no desire to read anymore from this author due to this book alone. That alone says it all for me. I was not entertained in the least.
Sorcha
Earlier in the series, this is on the way to, but not quite yet suffering the same issues as "Just Rewards" by the same author (constant name checking and relationship-declaring to allow a reader to stand the chance of remembering who is who).[return][return]the premise is the finding of Emma Harte's diaries, and the appearance of Evan (who looks suspiciously like Emma) and attempting to find out where she sits in all things. How or why this takes 650+ pages, I'm not entirely sure....
Connie
This was the 4th in the Harte series and took you back to Emma's years during World War II. It was about her son Robin who got her young secretary pregnant and how the secretary married someone else from the U S and he became the father of her son. The granddaughter comes back because her grandmother on her deathbed told her to see Emma for the key to her future. It was a little long and not as enjoyable as the others or maybe I just read them to close together.
Astrid Johanne
Det tog noget tid at komme igennem Emmas hemmeligheder, og jeg syntes den ender lidt bradt, og det er små forvirende med alle de forskellige personer, men når det er sagt så er det en rigtig god bog.
Jeg har ikke kunne mærke at det er bog nummer 3 og er en del af en serie, hvilket står på de bagerste sider, i takketalen fra forfatteren. Da jeg først kom ind i bogen, så er den rigtig god, jeg kan rigtig godt lide, at den skifter mellem nutid og fortid.
Jen
Oct 28, 2014 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
So much better than the previous book I read by this author, but nothing special. Quick read and held my interest throughout.
Rachel
After 100 pages I almost stopped reading this book. There were a couple sexual references that I didn't like and a woman with an abusive husband that had a little more detail than made me comfortable. Once it flashes back to the 1940's the book was much better. The story overall was okay. Super cheesy: the good guys are so good and pure, the bad guys purely devilish. And it was very predictable.
Anne Marie
This was a great book, but I still can't understand why Evan had to get together with her cousin! I was hoping her grandmother would have had Bryan ONeill's child, then at least she wouldn't have been a Harte! Other than that, I think the WW2 years could have been more exciting. I wish these last three books were made into a movie. Still want to get the movie for the first three books.
Phyllis Wright
I just finished this book, in the Large Print version (764 pages) and loved it! Someday, I hope to go to England and Ireland, Wales and Scotland. In the meantime, I'll make do with these wonderful books by Ms. Bradford. Thank you, Ms. Bradford, for making England and Wales come alive for me in the best way, besides being there physically, and introducing me to the Harte Clan.
Dolly
Overall I liked the book, but some parts went on and on with too much detail (Winston Churchill part mainly). I know he did great things during WW2, but it went on a bit long for my taste in that part.

I still think this author's writing style is like Danielle Steele and reads in a very similar way, but honestly I like Danielle Steele's work better.
♥Miyuki♥ Goco
It's a good book.Definitely a woman substance.Very descriptive throughout the whole story,from face sculpture,hair & eye colors,dress,skin complexion and texture,fashion and even furnitures.So,it basically wind up my imagination.But should get an X-rating for the sexual scenes.But overall it's still good.Main reason I can't sleep lately.
Ada Iaboni
I always love Barbara's books and liked this one very much.
However, comparing it to some of the others, this was a bit flat and predictable.
It did explain some back story of the other books that were part of the Harte dynasty, especially since I did not read them in sequence.
All in all, it is still worth reading.
Sherry Cooper
This book seemed contrived--a continuation of the Harte family saga written 17 years after the last book of the original series. Despite this,I will no doubt read the remaining three novels in the series. I must be an Anglophile and I do like the main character.
Carolyn Neyer
May 20, 2010 Carolyn Neyer rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers that like sagas of rich folks
Emma's Secert was a disappointing book. Well written, but I just was not that into the subject material--great descriptions of fancy clothes and furniture. The book is about the rich Harte family. The saga continues through several generations. The only real secret was who the father was.
  • Village Matters (Tales from Turnham Malpas #3)
  • Mermaids Singing
  • Stranger in Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #4)
  • Sheer Abandon
  • A Ruling Passion
  • Farther Afield (Fairacre, #11)
  • The Jewels of Tessa Kent
  • Reese (Rock Creek Six, #1)
  • After the Fire
  • Paradise House
  • Lesser Evil
Barbara Taylor Bradford is the author of 25 bestselling novels, including Playing the Game, Breaking the Rules, and The Ravenscar Dynasty. She was born in Leeds, England, and from an early age, she was a voracious reader: at age 12, she had already read all of Dickens and the Brontë sisters. By the age of twenty, she was an editor and columnist on Fleet Street. She published her first novel, A Wom ...more
More about Barbara Taylor Bradford...

Emma Harte Saga (7 books)
  • A Woman of Substance (Emma Harte Saga #1)
  • Hold the Dream (Emma Harte Saga #2)
  • To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3)
  • Unexpected Blessings (Emma Harte Saga #5)
  • Just Rewards (Emma Harte Saga #6)
  • Breaking the Rules (Emma Harte Saga #7)
A Woman of Substance (Emma Harte Saga #1) Hold the Dream (Emma Harte Saga #2) To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3) Unexpected Blessings (Emma Harte Saga #5) A Sudden Change of Heart