Start by marking “The Alchemist's Code (Venice, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Alchemist's Code (Venice, #2)

The Alchemist's Code (The Alchemist #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  18 reviews
More information to be announced soon on this forthcoming title from Penguin USA
Published (first published March 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Alchemist's Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alchemist's Code

M.D.
This is the second of Dave Duncan's Nostradamus books, and a totally enjoyable read. Although the pivotal character is Nostradamus, the main protagonist is his apprentice, Alfeo Zeno, who carries out his master's investigations and gets in trouble in the process. The setting, Venice in the fifteenth century, rife with political machinations and the constant threat of the Inquisition adds to the charm of the story.

In this book, Alfeo must help uncover a spy who uses a complex encryption model to
Sean Randall
It was spring half a decade ago when, of the Alchemists Apprentice, I wrote: "whilst an enjoyable enough read, there was nevertheless a feeling of something missing and I'm probably going to put the continuing parts of the series deep in my haystack, which I may or may not get through one day."
That day has come, and I picked up Alchemists code yesterday evening.

Whilst I still believe almost every other work of Duncan's is better in many ways, I cannot but help enjoy the style and observational
D.w.
This is the second tale in the saga of Sier Alfeo Zeno, the apprentice to Nostradamus. And a worthy telling it is.

Duncan provides a lead in where the answers are buried to the riddle that we are soon presented with. And then he weaves in the historical background of the complex government of the Venice.

It is fascinating stuff and dealt with masterly, though into this fantasy and the paranormal come into play in such a way that we wonder is it necessary at all, or is the sleuthing enough to stan
Holly
"The Alchemist's Code" is the fantastic sequel to "The Alchemist's Apprentice." Alfeo Zeno, apprentice to the philosopher and astrologer Nostradamus, is about to become entangled in another mystery. It begins when he runs into an old acquaintance at the theater. It continues when Nostradamus is hired to find the missing daughter of a wealthy noble family (for an outrageous fee), and gets complicated when it turns out that that missing daughter ran off with Alfeo's childhood acquaintance, Danese ...more
Kristen
This was an entertaining look at Venice and it's intricate and dangerous political wrangling during the time of the doges.

Alfeo Zeno is apprentice to Nostradamus, now a crotchety octegenarian who does what he likes and damn the consequences. Unfortunately, when a murder takes place with the corpse being left in the doorway of the home where Nostradamus and Alfeo live, questions are asked, and many powerful people - including the leader of the Inquisition, who already suspects Nostradamus of dark
Andrew Gronosky
The second novel in Duncan's Alchemist trilogy of historical fantasy, The Alchemist's Code is equally well-crafted, and slightly more satisfying, than the first installment.

The intrigue and pageantry of Renaissance Venice are captivating. The window it opens into that world is enough to make the novel worth reading. The plot is a little more sophisticated than that of The Alchemist's Apprentice. This time, the authentic-seeming magic that Duncan so thoroughly researched and artfully portrays act
Morgan
This was a great read, much better than the first one. I picked it up hoping for more of what I liked and less of what I didn't, and the book did not disappoint.

The writing style is brilliant. There is some mystery and a murder, but I wouldn't call it a whodunnit. There is a little more action, more magic, and a lot more Vasco. I don't think we are ever given a concrete reason why Alfeo and Vasco hate each other, but it does make their interactions so much fun to watch.

My only complaint is the u
Hillary Douin
I liked this one even more than the first!
Katie
I'm definitely enjoying this series. Thankfully, I see there's a third.

Once again Nostradamus & his apprentice, Alfeo, must solve a murder. This time, it's intertwined with treason, and their progress is hampered by demonic forces. Will they be forced to use some black magic of their own & put themselves at risk of being burned for witchcraft? Ohhhh...wouldn't you just love to know.

I'm going to be looking into Duncan's other works.
Cindy
I love stories set in Venice since then I can imagine that I'm in Venice. This is a good sequel to The Alchemist's Apprentice. I love Nostradamus and Alfeo and Violetta so was glad to read more of their adventures!!
Mf
Not as good as Alchemist's Apprentice. It's more about the mystery, with less about the people (or at least, having met the same characters in one book, they're not really growing in this one).
Willowwind
I actually read this one first. More tongue in cheek magic with the intricatices of La Serenissima politics as well
jane
Better than the first one.
Jeff Sulik
Jeff Sulik marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Meleth
Meleth marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Silas
Silas marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
António Canto
António Canto marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Nataly Sanchez
Nataly Sanchez marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Dorkboy
Dorkboy marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
  • The Ganymede Club (Cold As Ice, #2)
  • The Golden Horn (The Hound and the Falcon, #2)
  • The Story of the Stone: A Master Li Novel
  • Lord Darcy  (Lord Darcy, #1-3)
  • Threads of Malice  (Dubric Bryerly, #2)
  • Wheel of the Infinite
  • Salt and Silver
  • Pane of Death (A Glassblowing Mystery, #2)
  • The Scar-Crow Men (Swords of Albion, #2)
  • Gentleman Takes a Chance (Shifters, #2)
  • Conventions of War (Dread Empire's Fall, #3)
  • A Personal Devil (Magdalene la Batarde, #2)
  • A Young Man Without Magic
  • The Cracked Pot (Clay and Crime, #2)
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
  • The Clockwork Teddy: A Bear Collector's Mystery
  • Wolfhelm (Dragonrealm, #3)
  • The Assassin's Edge (The Tales of Einarinn, #5)
The Gilded Chain (King's Blades, #1) The Reluctant Swordsman (Seventh Sword, #1) Magic Casement (A Man of His Word, #1) The Destiny of the Sword (Seventh Sword, #3) The Coming of Wisdom (Seventh Sword, #2)