Start by marking “Dangerous Space” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Space

Dangerous Space

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Dangerous Space is a collection of seven seductive stories by Kelley Eskridge, whose novel Solitaire was a New York Times Notable Book, with an introduction by Geoff Ryman (author of Was and Air). The opening story, "Strings," takes us to a world that tightly controls musical expression and values faithfulness to the canon above all else. By contrast, in the title novella, ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Aqueduct Press

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Space

Ammonite by Nicola GriffithAdaptation by Malinda LoThe Caphenon by Fletcher DeLanceySanta Olivia by Jacqueline CareyProtector of the Realm by Gun Brooke
Lesbian and Bisexual Women (etc) Sci Fi
42nd out of 127 books — 59 voters
Goblinheart by Brett AxelStone Butch Blues by Leslie FeinbergGenderQueer by Joan NestleTransgender History by Susan StrykerGender Outlaws by Kate Bornstein
Gender Book List
14th out of 31 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Fantasy Literature
May 27, 2014 Fantasy Literature rated it it was amazing
Shelves: terry
Dangerous Space is a revelation. I had no idea these gorgeous short stories were out there. Put me on the list of people who will now read absolutely everything Kelley Eskridge writes, because if these are characteristic of her work, I want it all.

Eskridge often makes creativity her subject, writing movingly about various forms of art, especially music. The opening story, “Strings,” posits a world in which the classical composers are revered so completely that any deviation from their scores, no
David
Strings- this vaguely reminds me of the title story in Unaccompanied sonata & other stories.
And Salome Danced - This is one of two stories with a gender-neutral character. Vonda McIntyre is the only other author I've seen do this.
City Life - A woman who can heal with a touch and the costs of doing so.
Eye of the Storm - I had already read this story in Sirens and Other Daemon Lovers. I like it but didn't feel the need to reread it.
Somewhere Down the Diamondback Road - I didn't particularly l
Karen
Jan 30, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Karen by: Sarah Kanning
I loved this book. Kelly Eskridge is an awesome writer, and a scary one, too! All of the stories are edgy and mysterios and wonderfully layered.

The issue of gender and identity really comes up in every single story but as something that is just there for you to see, never discussed and NEVER explicit. It takes a while for you to figure out, or rather, decide, what gender the characters are. Most of the stories are told in the first person, so that makes it extra tricky.

You might decide a charac
Joell Smith-Borne
This is a collection of Eskridge's short fiction. It contains three stories about Mars, one of my favorite characters of all time. Eye of the Storm is the first story I read by Eskridge, and it turned me into a huge fan.
Sabrina
Aug 05, 2012 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't want to simplify these stories, and present only one take on a few of them; but the three stories about Mars are the ones that still stick with me. And probably will for a long time. So I am forced to if I want to keep this review from turning into a novella of it's own.

And Salome Danced, a mere 20 pages of this collection, is at first a story about a gender bending actor seen from the view of Mars, the director of a play.

Read it again, and there is the story that lays under nearly every
Schnaucl
Oct 31, 2007 Schnaucl rated it really liked it
I really liked most of the stories in this anthology. It turns out that I'd read "Eye of the Storm" before(maybe in one of the Year's Best Fantasy and Horror anthologies).

The first story, "Strings," didn't do much for me, probably because the end was so predictable. "Somewhere Down the Diamondback Road" didn't do much for me either, but that was probably due in large part to the nonstandard grammar. Few things turn me off faster than nonstandard grammar or stream of consciousness.

However, I rea
Nancy
Apr 29, 2008 Nancy rated it liked it
I heard this author interviewed on some NPR show and was intrigued enough to buy this book of short stories. The gimmick is that her frequent protagonist, Mars, is a bi-sexual character of unknown gender who takes on different roles in different stories - one time a director of a play in apparently modern times, another time a master of combat in a world with castles and princes. The characters use words like "guy" and "prince" for both male and obviously female characters - and I can really see ...more
penny shima glanz
Jul 29, 2008 penny shima glanz rated it it was amazing
I don't often choose a book by it's cover, but as I was browsing the "new sff" at the library one afternoon, this slim volume caught my eye. Something about the burnt orange cover screamed power, intrigue, and different. It did not disappoint. Each essay within, while short, is not without a depth and development which left me begging for more and wondering where the next one would take me. I was moved hard by the first piece, "Strings" a both predictable and innovative story. I also greatly enj ...more
Colin
Jan 20, 2010 Colin rated it really liked it
Two of these stories were particularly awesome, "The Eye of the Storm" and the title piece. I enjoyed all of them a lot except for one. Intriguing genderplay and some good erotic writing as well. Hated the introduction, though. Anyone who claims that we are "beyond" politics as though that is a good thing and then uses the phrase "post-vanilla," well...sorry Geoff Ryman, you're a jackass. Thankfully Kelley Eskridge's work rises well above the jackassery. Recommended.
Tyrannosaurus regina
While these stories are all speculative fiction in some way, more than that they are all about people, people whose pain and happiness you become invested in shockingly quickly. The themes of music and the fluidity of sexuality and gender and gender roles permeate nearly all of the stories in the collection, and as far as I'm concerned there is not one weak link among them. Solid collection.
jillbertini
Aug 03, 2007 jillbertini rated it really liked it
Book of short stories. Science fiction/speculative fiction seems to be the genre.

Eskridge is a glorious writer, subtle, and writing about things that I didn't even know about myself until I found them in her words. I was nodding and saying, "Yes, that's me, too." In my opinion, the best writers open up new understandings or awarenesses of the self and world. She is one of those writers.
Joe
Dec 13, 2007 Joe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: endeavour-award
Maybe I'm just a sucker for her writing. I adored her first novel, Solitaire, and this is a collection of her earlier short stories. While not as good as the novel, the title story is simply amazing. Interesting science fiction based around music.
Ian
Mar 02, 2009 Ian rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic novella!
I love how you are never once told the gender identity of Mars. It really puts a lot of power into the reader. One of the best pieces of writing I've ever had the pleasure to read.
Tania
May 22, 2008 Tania rated it really liked it
My review is up on The Short Review at http://www.theshortreview.com/reviews... along with many more reviews of short story collections and anthologies.

Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Kelsey Socha
Kelsey Socha rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Sonya
Sonya marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Ronniegarvey
Ronniegarvey rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Bryanna Reid
Bryanna Reid rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2016
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Jackie Hatton
Jackie Hatton marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Alpha A. Jallow
Alpha A. Jallow marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Warren
Warren marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Lo
Lo marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Claudia Piña
Claudia Piña marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
  • The Fate of Mice
  • Mothers & Other Monsters: Stories
  • Portable Childhoods
  • The Silent City (Silent City #1)
  • Bending The Landscape: Science Fiction
  • Alanya to Alanya
  • The Kappa Child
  • Filter House
  • Warriors 2
  • Stormwitch
  • Earthsong (Native Tongue, #3)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Nineteenth Annual Collection
  • We See a Different Frontier: A Postcolonial Speculative Fiction Anthology
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
  • Godmother Night
  • Heiresses of Russ 2011
  • Martyrs and Monsters
Kelley Eskridge is a fiction writer, essayist and screenwriter. She is the author of the New York Times Notable novel Solitaire and the short fiction collection Dangerous Space. Solitaire was a Border Books Original Voices selection and a finalist for the Nebula, Endeavour and Spectrum awards. The short stories in Dangerous Space include an Astraea prize winner and finalists for the Nebula and Tip ...more
More about Kelley Eskridge...

“Unbelievable,” I said when it was done. And Brilliant and Audio crack and That one will be everyone’s breakup song, and so on, because great is never good enough for the artists; they always want to know exactly what you mean and which nanosecond of the song you mean it about.” 2 likes