Start by marking “Burned (Burned, #1)” as Want to Read:
Burned (Burned, #1)

Burned (Burned #1)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  39,090 ratings  ·  2,694 reviews
I do know things really began to spin out of control after my first sex dream.

It all started with a dream. Nothing exceptional, just a typical fantasy about a boy, the kind of dream that most teen girls experience. But Pattyn Von Stratten is not like most teen girls. Raised in a religious -- yet abusive -- family, a simple dream may not be exactly a sin, but it could be
Published (first published March 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Burned, please sign up.

Doreendoreen Yea, this is a stand alone book the second book of Crank is Glass then Fallout.

Christine
Dec 12, 2012 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: masochists. seriously.
Shelves: reality-bites
The format in which the book is written is, to say the least, slightly on the brilliant side. The content was intense and emotional. I love this book, because I hate it. Let me explain why. At first as I read the book I got too cozy with it, I assumed like with so many other books, that this one would end up happy, that somehow the main character would get out of her own personal hell and have a better life. I was in for a bitter and harsh awakening.

The further I got into the book the more up
Hannah
This is the saddest book I have yet to read in my life. I was depressed for nearly a month after reading it and burst out in tears when thinking about it. Superb writing, absolutely as always (Bravo, Ellen!) and achingly real. I would re-read it if it didn't mean another month of my life like this:

Erhm, ok. All funny crying gifs aside, read this. Please read this. It's gorgeous and moving and it really makes you think, as do all of Ellen's books.
Lindsey
*This review has attracted some attention and discussion and caused some misunderstandings. I have edited it to be more objective.

Please humor me as I soliloquize about a side issue instead of writing a review—although really it doesn't matter whether you care to humor me or not; I'm going to say my say just the same. Isn't the internet wonderful? MWA-HA-HA-HA. Oh, the rush of unchecked power.

Crank happened to pass briefly through my hands on its way to some library patron, and I gave it a qui
Emily May
Wow. I found this book... original, disturbing, horrific and completely nothing like I expected it to be.

Firstly, I didn't realise it was in verse form and when it arrived I was a bit reluctant to begin seeing as my past experiences with novels in verse are Dante's Inferno and Paradise Lost. Must I say anymore? But... I went against my initial instinct and found that I loved the way the style just flowed, I read page after page and suddenly realised I'd devoured half the book in less than an hou
Joanne
This author doesn't have a clue about what Mormonism is about or how women are treated in the LDS church. Her "writing" sets Mormon women in the same stereotype as fundamental LDS women or even worse. Please see the following for further clarification:

My gripe with this is that people who know nothing about the LDS Church read this book they will get a very skewed and incorrect viewpoint about the LDS Church and LDS women.
J-Lynn
This 531 page book is written entirely in poems, some simple verse, some experiments with form. Pattyn Von Stratten is a repressed 17 year old who has been raised by an alcoholic, abusive father and an overwhelmed mother. Pattyn’s life consists of taking care of her six younger sisters and learning to be a good Mormon girl. But, when the school librarian feeds her love of reading, she starts to realize that there is more to life than the sexist society that her bishop encourages.

After Pattyn re
Jacob McCabe
Whoa.

No words.

I've discovered Ellen Hopkins.

P.S. This is my favorite quote for the book:

"God is love," she said. "And He respects love, whether it's between a parent and a child, a man and a woman, or friends. I don't think He cares about religion one little bit. Live your life right, Pattyn. Love with all your heart. Don't hurt others, and help those in need. That's all you need to know. And don't worry about Heaven. If it exists, you'll be welcome."
Raeleen Lemay
This book was absolutely AMAZING. I think I will have a hard time reviewing how I felt about this book...

AGHHH STILL SO GOOD THE SECOND TIME.
Carol Hesprich
Oct 26, 2007 Carol Hesprich rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone doubting religion or wanting to defend the LDS Faith, or lived through abuse
Being LDS myself and having some of the LDS beliefs extorted, it reminds me of how much I appreciate the truth of the religion and what I do know. Being in the midst of abuse in a personal experience in Utah, the book does hit close to home in many ways and is realistic to the core in some aspects. This would be a great book to use in a group discussion of abused survivors and also a reading group. I am going to go back over it and read it again. Can be a very helpful and almost therapeutic book ...more
Katie
Burned by Ellen Hopkins

Ellen Hopkins has several novels out that would put off most people by their size. Crank, Glass, and Impulse, for example, are pretty thick in size. After opening them, you will soon realize they are written in poem form. Ellen Hopkins is known for writing edgy novels about teenagers’ life.

“I felt angry, frustrated. I felt like I didn’t belong, not in my home, not in my church, not in my skin.”

Burned, just like any other Ellen Hopkins book, is about a girls struggle throu
Bonnie
Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

He was a dream. A safe dream.
Safe, because he was unattainable,
something to adore from afar.
Like a snow-drenched mountain
or an evening star.

The Storyline
17-year old Pattyn Von Stratten is the oldest child in a Mormon family which consists of an alcoholic and abusive father and an extremely overwhelmed mother. Unconsciously, she starts to rebel little by little from her strict family’s rules. After her father catches her in a moment of rebellion sh
Kenna
So. . .interesting. Written in prose form made it fun to read. The story was a little off. Well, a sad story, but written from an LDS perspective. The author was WAY off on the LDS religion. Sounded more like FLDS to me. A lot of FLDS stuff happening. . .husband beating his wife/daughters, the Bishop/community members turning a blind eye because he's the man of the house and he must be right, husband decides if/when his wife can get a drivers license, girls are expected to marry and procreate, w ...more
Dylan
Jun 19, 2011 Dylan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone (age limit: 14+)
Recommended to Dylan by: Melissa See
Dear Ellen Hopkins,

I love you, and literally can't wait for the sequel. So please, write faster. Actually I'd rather wait for an amazing book, cause you can't rush perfection, and that's exactly what this author is; perfect. I love this book.

It basically tells the story of Pattyn Von Stratton, a young girl struggling with who she is, who her family is, and a question many people ask themselves, "Is there a god?". This book asks a lot of religious and philisophical questions. As all of Ellen's b
Shauna
I understand that there's this cult of people who love Ellen Hopkins' novels, and I didn't mind that it was written in verse - thought it was fine, and the verse accentuated all of the dramatic moments in a cool way. That said, the story was very cliche with a LAME, abrupt ending. It's another downer teen book cloaked in verse to try to make it meaningful.

Yes, Pattyn had a horrible life, and yes, considering her home life, it's no wonder that she turned to men and sex to make her feel loved and
Janie Johnson
Once again Hopkins brings to her readers a riveting, profound coming of age story. And it may now be my favorite so far. Hopkins has a way with words, a way to draw you deep into the minds of her characters, deep in the middle of their stories, and you journey together.

This one touches on a couple of issues with me. One being organized religions. There are still religions out there that try to dictate the way their members should live their lives. And they have been a part of it for so long tha
Cassy
Aurora
I hate this book because of the unrealistic and unfair portrayal of Mormons. If you're going to write a story about a group of people that you're not a part of, you owe it to that group of people and your readers to portray them accurately. As an amateur writer, I wouldn't even think of writing a story about another religion, especially if I was considering criticizing that religion, without doing extensive and personal research on it. When you're a professional and famous author with the power ...more
Mimi
**Spoilers**

This book smarts of ex mormon/ anti-mormon anger. I don't know what "church" the author or the character got her information from, but it certainly wasn't mine. If I had ever experienced what the girl in this book did by the hands of leaders and members I certainty wouldn't be "mormon" and probably wouldn't be keeping my mouth closed either. I don't doubt abuse in the LDS church happens, especially abuse of power, because what religion is clean and of scandal, controversy, and lies.
Jessica K
Burned
Pattyn’s Side

Burned is about this girl, named Pattyn who gets abused by her dad. He comes home drunk and usually beats her, her sisters and her mother. Pattyn goes off to her aunt’s house to live there for the summer. She meets a boy named Ethan, and they get intimate. Then when school started she had to leave her aunt and the person she loved. Something interesting happens to Pattyn and Ethan, so if you really want to know. Then you must read it!
What I like about this book is that Pat
Breann
Oh the things that were wrong with this book! Where do I begin...
Obviously (and unfortunately) abusive and alcoholic families exist in all types of households, religious or non-religious. I felt this story was presented in such a way that the author was trying to impress that Pattyn's situation happens in many LDS households, and I simply don't believe that's the case. It unfortunately happens, but from my understanding it is not a regular occurrence.
The largest issue I had with this book is th
Holli
This is a young adult fiction novel about a Mormon girl who discovers who she is. With an alcoholic father and an always-breeding mother, she gets herself into trouble with the "wrong crowd" and as a form of punishment must go live with her Aunt J for the summer in Nevada. There she "falls in love" with Ethan, an older boy, and together they learns the lessons of life. She becomes pregnant and upon returning home, is beaten by her father and eventually runs away with Ethan only to have him die i ...more
Kristina Lenarczyk
Oh. My. God. I'm speechless. That ending. I need to read the next one right now.
Jade Reed
What??? I just can't form words to how I feel right now... My heart is broken :'(
Elizabeth (Book Babble)
Synopsis: This story follows Pattyn a girl raised in a strict religious yet abusive household! After her dad finds her in a compromising position with a boy she is shunned to the desert to live with her aunt to find "redemption" what she finds instead is "love and acceptance"

“Love is only found in books”
― Ellen Hopkins, Burned

What I Loved:
I loved the storyline itself: A young girl growing up and dealing with the everyday, and not so everyday struggles of teenage life! I can relate to Pattyn s
H
Megan Anderson
If I could rank this higher, I would.

New Review 9.13.13
This is still far and away my favorite book by Ellen Hopkins. It resonates deeply with me and my experiences within the confines of the LDS church. Men can get away with murder while women are expected to be meek little housewives popping out babies as often as possible. God help you if you try to step outside the lines. My mother's second husband, a "good Mormon man," was an abusive alcholic similar to Pattyn's father. My mom wouldn't go to
mary
Jan 16, 2009 mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody and everybody
Recommended to mary by: my cuz sara
Clackamas
The Iliad this isn't.

I love a good epic poem, but man oh man.... Where do I start?

First, I'm kind of horrified that this is available to be read at the adolescent behavioral clinic I work at. I won't wreck it for those who haven't read it, but the end of this book is terrible. More, it's pretty much exactly the opposite of what we are trying to teach kids who come from abusive homes.

Also, NOBODY in this story grows or matures. Pattyn is given love, care, and time from a couple of sources. She
Fidelity
Reading Adventure...: February Book Choice! - Burned - Contemporary Poetry 4 34 Feb 24, 2015 12:14AM
What made people come to the conclusion that Pattyn......(spoilers) 4 23 Jan 15, 2015 07:21PM
Where is the sequel? 2 9 Sep 04, 2014 02:04PM
  • After
  • Things Change
  • The Rules of Survival
  • Such a Pretty Girl
Ellen Hopkins is the New York Times bestselling author of Crank, Burned, Impulse, Glass, Identical, Tricks, Fallout, Perfect, Triangles, Tilt, and Collateral. She lives in Carson City, Nevada, with her husband and son. Hopkin's Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Pinterest pages get thousands of hits from teens who claim Hopkins is the "only one who understands me", and she can be visited at ellenhopkin ...more
More about Ellen Hopkins...

Burned (2 books)
  • Smoke (Burned, #2)
Crank (Crank, #1) Impulse (Impulse, #1) Glass (Crank, #2) Identical Tricks (Tricks, #1)

10 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“Did you ever, when you were little, endure your parents’ warnings, then wait for them to leave the room, pry loose protective covers and consider inserting some metal object into an electrical outlet?

Did you wonder if for once you might light up the room?

When you were big enough to cross the street on your own, did you ever wait for a signal, hear the frenzied approach of a fire truck and feel like stepping out in front of it?

Did you wonder just how far that rocket ride might take you?

When you were almost grown, did you ever sit in a bubble bath, perspiration pooling, notice a blow dryer plugged in within easy reach, and think about dropping it into the water?

Did you wonder if the expected rush might somehow fail you?

And now, do you ever dangle your toes over the precipice, dare the cliff to crumble, defy the frozen deity to suffer the sun, thaw feather and bone, take wing to fly you home?”
256 likes
“God is love," she said. "And he respects love, whether it's between a parents, and child, a man and woman, or friends. I don't think he cares about religion one little bit. Live your life right. Love with all your heart. Don't hurt others, and help those in need. That is all you need to know. And don't worry about heaven. If it exists, you'll be welcome.” 221 likes