Start by marking “Evan and Elle (Constable Evans, #4)” as Want to Read:
Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)

Evan and Elle (Constable Evans #4)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  983 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Madame Yvette's arrival is causing a lot of excitement in Llanfair. Some are enraged at the fact that her new French restaurant sits on the site of an abandoned chapel. Others are thrilled about her sophisticated culinary skills. And Llanfair's men seem intrigued by her exotic beauty-- which isn't making Llanfair's women very happy...

But the controversy really heats up af
Mass Market Paperback, 212 pages
Published March 1st 2001 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Evan and Elle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evan and Elle

Dancing with a Dead Horse by Danielle DeVorCutting Right to the Chase by Stefania MattanaInto the Killer Sphere by Stefania MattanaGeorge by C.L. HeckmanMurphy's Law by Rhys Bowen
Mystery Books to Share with Anyone
33rd out of 134 books — 104 voters
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonA Dead Sister by Anna Celeste BurkeFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeEvertaster by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Mysteries in Good Taste!
299th out of 336 books — 275 voters

More lists with this book...

Ed
Aug 29, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#4 in the Constable Evan Evans series. As ever, the endearing Welsh constable finds himself ensnarled in a series of mysteries. This time out, they seem to be arsons committed by rabid Welsh nationalists. Complicating both the mysteries and Evan's domestic tranquility is the appearance of an intriguing Frenchwoman, a cordon bleu chef who opens a restaurant. He gets deeper into the mystery than his village constable post would normally allow by acting as driver and translator for his direction- a ...more
writer...
First read of Ms Bowen's Constable Evans Mysteries and well liked.

Set in Wales with good description to situate readers in the story. Very down to earth characters and village life portrays the usual propensity to gossip and fear of outsiders. In this case, the unwelcome French proprietor of Madame Yvette's, a new French restaurant with unusual foods to the area.

Constable Evans is well drawn as laid back; I was actually surprised at his abilities to discover and apprehend the perpetrator.
I like
Marcia
Jan 31, 2016 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle, library, 2016
The characters really begin to come alive in this fourth installment of the Constable Evans series. Nice to see Sergeant Watkins and Evans developing a sort of friendship. They have always I think, respected one another's professionalism; but in this Llanfair story, we see their working relationship and friendship blossom.

Opening lines
The Reverend Tomos Parry Davies, minister of Chapel Bethel in the village of Llanfair, sang loudly to himself as he drove up the pass from Caernarfon.

Word pictures
Hal
Apr 09, 2014 Hal rated it really liked it
I have read all but one of the Constable Evans series, and this book was one of my favorites. The plot is a bit predictable, but I thought the writing was better than most of the other novels in this series.

Too often in earlier installments, Ms Bowen doesn't give us a three-dimensional portrait of Evan Evans. Here, though, we see he can have a temper and is not always perfect. Yah!

The other characters tend to be stick figures and Ms Bowen's clich views of sexual attraction are sometimes trying.
Brett
Apr 11, 2013 Brett rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Constable Evan Evans enjoys his life as a village constable in a rather inaccessible part of Northern Wales, but that doesn't mean that he is bursting with nationalistic fervor. Consequently, he's quite disturbed when a cottage owned by an English couple is completely gutted in a fire that appears to have been set by an arsonist wanting to scare the foreigners away. He is even less happy when a similar occurrence at a hotel indicates that this may be a trend. Is one of the endearingly eccentric ...more
Kathy Davie
Oct 08, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, homey
Fourth in the Constable Evans mystery series set in a small village in Wales.

The Story
One arson fire after another has Evans frustrated especially when Peter Potter---oops, sorry, that's Sergeant Potter to you!---is on the case. Potter'll show these backcountry idjits how to solve crime. If they would just snap to and show some initiative…!

The notes left behind seem to indicate a nationalist bent behind the fires but when they torch a new French restaurant in the valley…well, none of the constab
Angie
Nov 04, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
Enjoyable Welsh small-town cozy with all the expected features. The title Evan and Elle immediately told me I could expect a bit more cleverness than usual, and I was not disappointed. Nicely convoluted plot and characters I'll want to read about again.
So now I have to try the author's other series, Her Royal Spyness.
(Thanks to cousin Jeannine, whose mention of the Hamish MacBeth series reminded me I had this on my shelf.)
Mark Baker
Mar 12, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2003
The new French restaurant in the village is the latest victim of the arsonist hitting the area. Only this time, a body is found in the aftermath. The colorful characters are back in full force and the plot is another great puzzle.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Mary Baker
Jan 26, 2016 Mary Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery, wales
Another good read about Constable Evan Evans, set in a small Welsh village. This time Constable Evans and his friend Sergeant Watkins make some interesting discoveries about some of their suspects.
Niece
May 30, 2015 Niece rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love the Constable Evans Series. Set in a quaint village in Wales the story offers a light romance/mystery. Love the characters!
Tilden
Aug 11, 2015 Tilden rated it it was ok
A friend lent me the book. After reading about 3-4 chapters I've decided I will not finish it. Since it is a series, this book is #4 I think. There is not enough excitement in the novel for me and I think it would make a difference if Imread the series in order. I think I don't like cozy mysteries any more, if I ever did.
Katherine Marsh
Jul 04, 2014 Katherine Marsh rated it liked it
Cute story, easy read. The perfect mystery to get your back into reading, to finish on a long flight or on a beach vacation.
Jessica
Feb 21, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this series and author. I can't wait to read more books. Kept reading until I was finished.
Karen C
Nov 08, 2014 Karen C rated it liked it
Good story. Like the characters and the heart of the main character.
D. Eric
Sep 14, 2009 D. Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The Constable Evan series continues to get better with each book as "Evan and Elle" establishes itself as the best one yet. This time out, Evan must solve a series of arsons which also gets entangled in both murder and drug smuggling.

Although I solved the original arson crimes as well as one other mystery in the story fairly early, the tangled woven web proves itself most interesting all the way through to the usual heroic ending. Also, Evan himself finally starts to grow up a bit and looks mor
George
Apr 16, 2007 George rated it liked it
Recommends it for: British Mystery readers
Part of a series involving Welsh Constable Evan Evans stationed in Llanfair, a small rural community in northern Wales. It is somewhat similar to the M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth (though more ambitious and luckier with the ladies) mysteries set in rural Scotland.

Story involves the continuing adventures of Constable Evans along with his relationships with villagers and other members of the police force back at headquarters. Storyline involves Welsh nationalists, arson, murder, drug smuggling, and
Ellen
Mar 31, 2014 Ellen rated it really liked it
A fun read! Evan Evans is a good character.
Erika
Jun 24, 2014 Erika rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Light reading, small town mystery
Elizabeth White
Aug 31, 2014 Elizabeth White rated it liked it
An enjoyable, quick read.
Lorlee
Jan 24, 2016 Lorlee rated it really liked it
Enjoyable series
Jean
Nov 03, 2014 Jean added it
Good book
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Mar 05, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
The book begins with more Welsh words for us to master and then introduces us to a Frenchwoman who opens her new Restaurant which intrigues the women in the village, including Constable Evan's beloved Bronwen into taking French cooking lessons.

The men of the village are not enamored by the meager portions but someone else is even less taken by the enterprise. Is it an arsonist of does Madam Yvette have a secret?

Excellent book that truly is a cozy and a mystery!
Kavita
Jun 21, 2013 Kavita rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a mystery set in Wales and is quite a passable light read. It has interesting characters and the main man, Constable Evans is quite a likable person. The plot is average and there are some nice twists, but nothing that can be classified as awesome. One thing I found really amusing was that everyone in the village was named Evans, or failing that, Harry. A little lack of innovation in coming up with names, but can't complain about the rest.
Shelley
Jun 01, 2008 Shelley rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked the characters a lot, but it took me awhile to get into the mystery itself. Well, both of the mysteries, really - there were two potentially intersecting cases at once. I think I was mainly bugged by the main suspect and her written out French accent. I'll try another in the series. Hopefully Bronwen will get a bigger part in the next one - I liked her a lot.
David Peters
Jan 17, 2011 David Peters rated it liked it
Another solid cozy mystery featuring the intelligent beyond his means Evan Evans. The mystery had all the usual twists and satisfactory conclusion. Teally this is a 2.5 review because for all the above, one of the main characters was French and the author insisting in writing in a terrible French accent. An OMG please kill me now never relenting French accent.
Sally
May 07, 2011 Sally rated it liked it
I'm liking this series, and this one has some plot twists that were a little more complex, involving a trip for Constable Evans through the English Channel tunnel to explore the background of the French lady whose new restaurant had burned with a dead body inside. Finally, Evan Evans is moving forward in his relationship with Bronwen, the local school teacher.
Norma Huss
Mar 22, 2013 Norma Huss rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries, favorites
A delightful read about Evans-the-law in Wales. Elle is the French lady who started a French restaurant and began teaching all the ladies in town the French way of cooking--and starving all the hubbies (they thought). Actually, the French lady's name is Yvette, and anything new to come to the insular village can be dangerous, but not necessarily to the natives.
Cat.
Jul 20, 2012 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I read another in this series some time ago. This one is about an arsonist that quickly turns into a proper murder mystery when a body turns up in the ashes of a new French restaurant. The logical person to suspect is the owner & proprietess of the restaurant, but Constable Evans doesn't want to believe it. Fun, easy --not too challenging all.
Crystal
Feb 20, 2009 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: evan-evans
This book made me feel smart as I did guess some of the outcome before the end of the book. They say that a good mystery will give some clues along the way, but finding the balance must be difficult for mystery writers. Sometimes I read a book and the whole thing is solved, surprisingly, in the last few pages and it's not very satisfying.
Dagny
Jul 20, 2012 Dagny rated it really liked it
This is Rhys Bowen's fourth book featuring Constable Evan Evans of Llanfair of North Wales. I was hooked from the first book and the series keeps improving. In Evan & Elle there have been two recent fires in the Llanfair area, seemingly the work of Nationalist Extremists. Then a French restaurant is burned and a body found in the rubble.
Constable Evans 6 10 Jun 28, 2014 07:02AM
  • A Brush with Death (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #2)
  • Death of a Dentist (Hamish Macbeth, #13)
  • Death of an Addict (Hamish Macbeth, #15)
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • The House of Green Turf (Felse, #8)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Pasta Imperfect (Passport to Peril, #3)
  • The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4)
  • Death to the Landlords (Felse, #11)
  • Signal Red
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Hades
  • Death, Snow, and Mistletoe (Tori Miracle, #4)
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)