Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)

Evan and Elle (Constable Evans #4)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  735 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Madame Yvette's arrival is causing a lot of excitement in Llanfair. Some are enraged at the fact that her new French restaurant sits on the site of an abandoned chapel. Others are thrilled about her sophisticated culinary skills. And Llanfair's men seem intrigued by her exotic beauty-- which isn't making Llanfair's women very happy...

But the controversy really heats up af...more
Mass Market Paperback, 212 pages
Published March 1st 2001 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Evan and Elle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evan and Elle

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeEvertaster by Adam Glendon SidwellDying For Chocolate by Diane Mott Davidson
Mysteries in Good Taste!
243rd out of 281 books — 241 voters
Dancing with a Dead Horse by Danielle DeVorCutting Right to the Chase by Stefania MattanaInto the Killer Sphere by Stefania MattanaMurphy's Law by Rhys BowenTax Cut by Michele Lynn Seigfried
Mystery Books to Share with Anyone
99th out of 126 books — 87 voters

More lists with this book...

Hal
I have read all but one of the Constable Evans series, and this book was one of my favorites. The plot is a bit predictable, but I thought the writing was better than most of the other novels in this series.

Too often in earlier installments, Ms Bowen doesn't give us a three-dimensional portrait of Evan Evans. Here, though, we see he can have a temper and is not always perfect. Yah!

The other characters tend to be stick figures and Ms Bowen's clich views of sexual attraction are sometimes trying....more
Brett
Constable Evan Evans enjoys his life as a village constable in a rather inaccessible part of Northern Wales, but that doesn't mean that he is bursting with nationalistic fervor. Consequently, he's quite disturbed when a cottage owned by an English couple is completely gutted in a fire that appears to have been set by an arsonist wanting to scare the foreigners away. He is even less happy when a similar occurrence at a hotel indicates that this may be a trend. Is one of the endearingly eccentric...more
Kathy Davie
Fourth in the Constable Evans mystery series set in a small village in Wales.

The Story
One arson fire after another has Evans frustrated especially when Peter Potter---oops, sorry, that's Sergeant Potter to you!---is on the case. Potter'll show these backcountry idjits how to solve crime. If they would just snap to and show some initiative…!

The notes left behind seem to indicate a nationalist bent behind the fires but when they torch a new French restaurant in the valley…well, none of the constab...more
Mark Baker
The new French restaurant in the village is the latest victim of the arsonist hitting the area. Only this time, a body is found in the aftermath. The colorful characters are back in full force and the plot is another great puzzle.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Katherine Marsh
Cute story, easy read. The perfect mystery to get your back into reading, to finish on a long flight or on a beach vacation.
D. Eric
The Constable Evan series continues to get better with each book as "Evan and Elle" establishes itself as the best one yet. This time out, Evan must solve a series of arsons which also gets entangled in both murder and drug smuggling.

Although I solved the original arson crimes as well as one other mystery in the story fairly early, the tangled woven web proves itself most interesting all the way through to the usual heroic ending. Also, Evan himself finally starts to grow up a bit and looks mor...more
George
Apr 16, 2007 George rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: British Mystery readers
Part of a series involving Welsh Constable Evan Evans stationed in Llanfair, a small rural community in northern Wales. It is somewhat similar to the M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth (though more ambitious and luckier with the ladies) mysteries set in rural Scotland.

Story involves the continuing adventures of Constable Evans along with his relationships with villagers and other members of the police force back at headquarters. Storyline involves Welsh nationalists, arson, murder, drug smuggling, and...more
Ellen
A fun read! Evan Evans is a good character.
Erika
Light reading, small town mystery
Elizabeth White
An enjoyable, quick read.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
The book begins with more Welsh words for us to master and then introduces us to a Frenchwoman who opens her new Restaurant which intrigues the women in the village, including Constable Evan's beloved Bronwen into taking French cooking lessons.

The men of the village are not enamored by the meager portions but someone else is even less taken by the enterprise. Is it an arsonist of does Madam Yvette have a secret?

Excellent book that truly is a cozy and a mystery!
Kavita
This is a mystery set in Wales and is quite a passable light read. It has interesting characters and the main man, Constable Evans is quite a likable person. The plot is average and there are some nice twists, but nothing that can be classified as awesome. One thing I found really amusing was that everyone in the village was named Evans, or failing that, Harry. A little lack of innovation in coming up with names, but can't complain about the rest.
Shelley
I liked the characters a lot, but it took me awhile to get into the mystery itself. Well, both of the mysteries, really - there were two potentially intersecting cases at once. I think I was mainly bugged by the main suspect and her written out French accent. I'll try another in the series. Hopefully Bronwen will get a bigger part in the next one - I liked her a lot.
David Peters
Another solid cozy mystery featuring the intelligent beyond his means Evan Evans. The mystery had all the usual twists and satisfactory conclusion. Teally this is a 2.5 review because for all the above, one of the main characters was French and the author insisting in writing in a terrible French accent. An OMG please kill me now never relenting French accent.
Sally
I'm liking this series, and this one has some plot twists that were a little more complex, involving a trip for Constable Evans through the English Channel tunnel to explore the background of the French lady whose new restaurant had burned with a dead body inside. Finally, Evan Evans is moving forward in his relationship with Bronwen, the local school teacher.
Norma Huss
A delightful read about Evans-the-law in Wales. Elle is the French lady who started a French restaurant and began teaching all the ladies in town the French way of cooking--and starving all the hubbies (they thought). Actually, the French lady's name is Yvette, and anything new to come to the insular village can be dangerous, but not necessarily to the natives.
L.
I read another in this series some time ago. This one is about an arsonist that quickly turns into a proper murder mystery when a body turns up in the ashes of a new French restaurant. The logical person to suspect is the owner & proprietess of the restaurant, but Constable Evans doesn't want to believe it. Fun, easy --not too challenging all.
Crystal
This book made me feel smart as I did guess some of the outcome before the end of the book. They say that a good mystery will give some clues along the way, but finding the balance must be difficult for mystery writers. Sometimes I read a book and the whole thing is solved, surprisingly, in the last few pages and it's not very satisfying.
Dagny
This is Rhys Bowen's fourth book featuring Constable Evan Evans of Llanfair of North Wales. I was hooked from the first book and the series keeps improving. In Evan & Elle there have been two recent fires in the Llanfair area, seemingly the work of Nationalist Extremists. Then a French restaurant is burned and a body found in the rubble.
Debra
Haven't read many books taking place in England and France. This was a good book. Not sure I'd be interested in reading any more by this author, but it was good. Good descriptions of the people and the places where this took place. Believable. A few small twists and turns.
The story gets 4 stars, but the editing deserves a 2. There were a ton of typos in the first half of the book: a few misspellings, but mostly missing punctuation. Oddly, I didn't notice many past the half-way point; I wonder two different people each edited half the book.
Nell
Feb 04, 2012 Nell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, cache
Excellent addition to this mystery series. New characters keep the series fresh along with developments in relationships between on-going characters. Several intertwining mysteries to solve. Lot of pieces, some of them connected to each other. Love this series.
Krista Pressey
The author had a serious problem coming up with names for the characters. I found it confusing and annoying that so many of the men were named Evan. It was somewhat interesting, but nothing that I would care to read again.
LJ
Evan and Elle - G
Bowen, Rhys - 4th in series

After a fire at Llanfair's new French restaurant makes murder the dish du jour, Constable Evans is on the case.

Is it Welsh nationalists versus foreigners? Good twist
My 2 years of French finally came in handy with this book! The title is very clever as well and I would never have gotten it if I hadn't known French!
Babette
This book continues the pleasant series by Rhys Bowen. I find her ability to create new mysteries in such a small Welsh community intriguing.
Patricia
Oh dear, I thought I already rated this. I did like this one more than the last few in the series. I do plan to read the next book.
Kathleen
enjoyable mystery. Will try one more. Not quite as good as the M.C. Beaton series with Hamish MacBeth, although very similar.
I like the Evan series and author Rhys Bowen. This was pretty average, but a fun read and the mystery was decent.
Deena
This was good; nice and light. I think this is a series not to read too many of right in a row, though!
Constable Evans 6 8 Jun 28, 2014 07:02AM
  • Death of a Scriptwriter (Hamish Macbeth, #14)
  • A Brush with Death (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #2)
  • The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • Pasta Imperfect (Passport to Peril, #3)
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Fallen Into the Pit (Felse, #1)
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • The Devil's Closet
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Silent Knight
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set...more
More about Rhys Bowen...
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)