Start by marking “Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)” as Want to Read:
Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)

Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman #1)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  101,224 ratings  ·  2,972 reviews
A collection of eight comics that introduce the series' lead character, the Sandman, Lord of Dreams.
233 pages
Published 1995 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 1991)

Patrick
First off, let's be clear, I'm a big soppy fan of Gaiman's Work.

Secondly, I've read the Sandman series several times before. So this is more a record of my fond re-reading and musing about this story rather than some sort of objective review.

But if you've read any of my other reviews, that won't come as a surprise.

I think it's been a full ten years since the last time I've read this series. And, given that my memory is, well... to put it plainly quite shit, I get to experience the series with
Alejandro
FanTABulous preluDe!

Creative Team:

Writer: Neil Gaiman

Illustrators: Sam Kieth, Mike Dringenberg & Malcolm Jones III

Covers: Dave McKean

Letterer: Todd Klein

A PRELUdE TO dREAM

It is NEVER “only a dream”, John Constantine.

Definitely there is stuff that if you read again, you’ll get it differently, but even so, you’ll get it differently if you re-read it again in a different order.

I am re-reading again the first four TPBs of The Sandman since I was able to buy the rest of TPBs of the series,
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*

I need to admit something. I've never "gotten" Neil Gaiman's books. They confuse the hell out of me. I really never know where he is going with a story. *gasp*

This one was some freaky ass shit. Some old guy wants to perform a ceremony to capture "Death". Yeah..okay.
Anyways, he ends up capturing our guy Dream.
Dream bides his time. Then he wants his domain back. Then some more freaky ass shit goes down.

I see a whole lot of fangirls and boys on these books. Don't kill me yet. I have another on
Will M.
One of those graphic novels that are so famous and hyped up that it makes you want to read them. The consequence though would be that expectations tend to rocket up. I am more disappointed than entertained.

I've read 2 novels of Neil Gaiman. I hated Stardust, while Ocean was a mediocre read for me. I DNF(did-not-finish) American Gods and Graveyard Book because I got bored. The Sandman was not that great for me. I think I have to conclude soon enough that I honestly don't see what's so good about
Brad
Since joining goodreads, I’ve been baffled by the Neil Gaiman love fest. American Gods, Neverwhere, Stardust, The Graveyard Book, they appear to be universally loved, and I’ve been skeptical of this emotion that borders on worship. These books are good and all, and I recognize their general accessibility, but I don’t personally find any of them mind blowing literature. Gaiman’s prose is no match for China Mieville’s or Iain M. Banks’ or Ursula LeGuin’s (and countless others who write speculative ...more
Sh3lly ♛ Queen of Dragons and Wandering Crustaceans ♛
Decided to re-read this since my library had it. I haven't read this since the 90s. I don't remember anything about it so far. It's kind of like all brand new and sparkly. And creepy. Yes, definitely creepy, in a good way.

And now here's a random Bowie gif that reminded me of this for some reason:

I'm keeping my original rating. This was fantastic. I like how he worked a few superheroes into it and (view spoiler) This is adult comics at its bes
Brooke
In the foreword and the afterword, both the editor and Gaiman indicated that this isn't the strongest volume in the Sandman series; Gaiman was still finding his vision for the series, it's essentially a fetch quest, etc. I'm inclined to agree with them, although it was still enjoyable (as any video game fan will tell you, a fetch quest can still be fun, but it's not the strongest narrative device). I'm halfway through Volume 2: The Doll's House and I'm already finding the story much more interes ...more
Terry
3 – 3.5 stars

Ok, so, The Sandman. Ground breaking comic series from the early days of DC’s innovative Vertigo line. One of the many comics of the era that was trying to do new (or at least different) things with the medium and even went so far as to not only NOT be primarily a superhero book, but one that had elements that hearkened back to the old days of anthology comics in addition to telling the serialized life story of the ‘hero’. I know I’m in the minority here, and I will admit that my op
Kirstine
"I am anti-life, the beast of judgement. I am the dark at the end of everything. The end of universes, Gods, worlds... of everything. And what will you be then, Dreamlord?"

"I am hope."

This is my favourite quote from this book, and one of my favourite quotes in general. It's beautiful. And true, thank god, so true.

I really liked this book. I've wanted to read The Sandman for a long time, and after this I'm beginning to grasp why it's become so popular. I really, really hope I can find the rest o
Hershey
Once I was all done with this book, my very first thought was "This book is really weird."

Neil Gaiman, as all of you know, is a God at creating the most intricate and best of all story worlds. Honestly, every time I pick up his books, I never have a single clue with where he's going to take the readers with his story lines. Reading the blurb seriously does not help. Gaiman's works always have depth and much more stuff going on than what the blurb normally says.

So, I finally have gotten around to
Ronyell
6 stars!

“In a fairy tale story, once all the children are asleep, the Sandman will come in and sprinkle magic dust in children’s eyes and give them sweet dreams.”

At least, that is the interpretation we get about the Sandman. However, in this graphic novel, we are about to enter a world where the Sandman is a magical being of the Dream world, but the world of the Sandman is much darker and more disturbing than you can ever imagine! “The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes” is a comic series writt
Sam Quixote
I read this one some 10 years or so ago when I was slowly returning to comics and, having re-read it now, I still maintain that Preludes and Nocturnes is a poor place to start with this series - though it’s a decent book.

My first time around, I read Sandman totally out of sequence starting with Vol 3, then Vol 5, then a couple more volumes (I was just grabbing whatever was on the shelves that week!) and I read Vol 1 towards the end thinking what an unimpressive first volume it was.

I’d recommen
Algernon
Sandman has been on my radar for years. In a way I'm glad I've waited, because now that I've read 4 or 5 of the author's other books, I have a better idea of his style and thematic preferences and I can appreciate better how innovative and original his approach to the sequential art medium is. Urban fantasy that doesn't limits itself to crime investigations and vampires versus werewolves, superheroes that are fallible and make mistakes, adult content that doesn't drown you in bad language, nudi ...more
Keely
Though Gaiman had already made his mark with Black Orchid, Sandman is where he really begins to fall into his style, which sometimes becomes his downfall in its predictability.

Here, he plays for perhaps the first time at mixing mythology, spirituality, and strange real events into a story beyond the ken of other fairytale rewrites and new age mysticism. There is a sense here that the characters and story are still undeveloped in his mind, which provides the reader with some welcome ambiguity, as
seak
I can see why this is looked on so positively, it's creative, it's different, it's got a David Bowie from the Labyrinth character. But it's also extremely dark and depressing, especially the part about John Dee, which was also pretty gruesome. This series is a little much for me so I don't think I'll be going any further.

I thought it was interesting that parts take place in Gotham and Arkham and include some DC superheroes. I honestly didn't think they would be interrelated like that, but I gues
Matt
At the height of this publication's popularity (early 90's), I picked up a couple of issues to see what all the fuss was about. At that time I was totally blown away by the artwork but found the storyline completely incomprehensibile as I had missed the first fifty issues. Things are going much better now since this title rediscovered me and I had the good sense to start from the beginning.

I still love the artwork, especially the original covers. I'm glad that they are included in these volumes.
Kim
I have a confession. I… um… don’t know how to read comic books. There. I said it. Let the heckling begin. In my defense, I am a girl. Ok, no. I mean, it’s not like the mid 1970s really gave us any good comics. Uhh… Okay, I don’t know. I have no excuse. It’s never been my thing. I remember trying to read some Archie ones and some Wendy Witch ones.. meh. Plus, I um... always screwed up the reading order.

So, last night I sat down across from my sixteen year old. She had the manners to at least gla
Stephen
4.0 stars. First omnibus collecting the outstanding Sandman series created by Neil Gaiman. One of the truly iconic fantasy figures to be created over the last 20 years. Highly Recommended!!
Becky
I've had this sitting on my shelf for a while, after a friend gave it to me... but flipping through it when I first received it, I was a little overwhelmed. At the time, I had read only one or two graphic novels in my life, and this just seemed dense and honestly, a bit confusing, what with the overlays and all.

So I set it aside, and I'm glad that I did, because that wasn't the right time for me to read it. I would have pushed through it, and probably would have enjoyed it, but it wouldn't have
Paul Nelson
New to the Sandman series, initial thoughts a little weird, dark, horror or mythology - definitely both and certainly thought provoking, I feel its still with me now even after finishing it last night and first opportunity will start the next volume The Dolls House.

Dream or Morpheus or the sandman is enslaved for 70 years by some cultist or wizard, in this time people all over the world suffer, some don't wake, others can't sleep or dream at all. When finally he escapes he goes all out for reven
Vladan
Prica je odlicna (standardno dobri Gaiman), ali crtez mi je uzasan... Mozda sam ja odrastao uz klasicne stripove... Mozda sam previse citao Zagora... Mozda sam star i ne shvatam novotarije... Sve u svemu 5 za pricu, 2 za grafiku = 3.5
Anne
I liked the beginning, when Dream was captured. The mystical elements held my attention. However, the middle of it kind of grossed me out. Especially the part in with Dee in the diner. EWWWW. The end of Preludes and Nocturnes totally made up for it, though. I loved Death! How cool is she?! Whoever came up with the idea to make Death a peppy little goth girl was a genius!
Teresa
Sep 18, 2013 Teresa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Teresa by: rhea
Funny thing about 3-star reviews, sometimes they seem more negative (like the one I wrote yesterday about Atwood's The Year of the Flood), sometimes more positive; but both kinds mean that I liked the book.

Each issue collected here seems to have its own style. I already knew I didn't catch most of the references in the 'super-hero' issue and now I just discovered that John Constantine is a character from another comic book. However, due to my interest in Elizabethan England, I did get the John D
Sarah Churchill
Probably the most dark and disturbing graphic novel I've ever read. It's like Gaiman's been given free reign to really set free the dark part of his imagination that we only get glimpses of in his other works. And he really went to town.

I can't say I love the illustrations, but they do have a gritty edginess that works with the story, and it just wouldn't have been the same with 'pretty' artwork.

As with a lot of his work, Sandman is packed with references and cameos, from our main character Mo
Giovanna
Probabilmente non sono molte le cose da sapere su di me; sono una persona piuttosto monotona in fondo. Ma, se dovessi presentarmi a qualcuno dovrei necessariamente far presente che amo Neil Gaiman. Piacere, mi chiamo Giovanna e amo Neil Gaiman.
Le sue idee sono qualcosa di unico. Sono solo sue perché solo lui può averle. A volte arrivano a essere pazze e incasinate ma sono geniali. Si può dire lo stesso per l'idea che sta alla base di Sandman, unico motivo per cui mi sono avvicinata al fumetto, u
Rowena
I really enjoyed this one, although some parts were pretty grotesque and hard to take. The story was very interesting, philosophical at times, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I found it quite funny that the Dream Lord resembles Neil Gaiman so much!

Caro Márquez
I think I'm in love...
Liz

I must admit, I don't always understand this author and his approach, but I learned to love his masterworks a long time ago. This one, due to the fact that it's a Graphic Novel, is slighty different from the others.

The story starts with Roderick Burgess who wants to imprison Death to gain immortality. However, the ritual during which he tries to summon Death into the circle to banish it does not go according to plan and he ends up summoning another Endless instead. Dream. Also known as Morphe
Ekairidium
Back in 2009, it was my second time to be a freshman in college (and my third course at that). To ensure that I stayed focused, I joined the student paper and there I met the associate editor who became my mentor in many ways than one; and he introduced me to Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series. I felt his excitement when he started to share this piece of literature with me, and I was greatly touched. I then ventured on with the knowledge that this is the first time I will ever consume the medium i ...more
  • Lucifer, Vol. 6: Mansions of the Silence
  • Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love (Fables, #3)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)

The Sandman (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Sandman: Overture (The Sandman, #0)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House (The Sandman #2)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country (The Sandman #3)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists (The Sandman #4)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You (The Sandman #5)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections (The Sandman #6)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 7: Brief Lives  (The Sandman #7)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 8: Worlds' End (The Sandman, #8)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones (The Sandman #9)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 10: The Wake (The Sandman #10)
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere The Ocean at the End of the Lane

“You get what anybody gets - you get a lifetime.” 1872 likes
“CHORONZON: I am a dire wolf, prey-stalking, lethal prowler.

MORPHEUS: I am a hunter, horse-mounted, wolf-stabbing.

CHORONZON: I am a horsefly, horse-stinging, hunter-throwing.

MORPHEUS: I am a spider, fly-consuming, eight legged.

CHORONZON: I am a snake, spider-devouring, posion-toothed.

MORPHEUS: I am an ox, snake-crushing, heavy-footed.

CHORONZON: I am an anthrax, butcher bacterium, warm-life destroying.

MORPHEUS: I am a world, space-floating, life-nurturing.

CHORONZON: I am a nova, all-exploding... planet-cremating.

MORPHEUS: I am the Universe -- all things encompassing, all life embracing.

CHORONZON: I am Anti-Life, the Beast of Judgement. I am the dark at the end of everything. The end of universes, gods, worlds... of everything. Sss. And what will you be then, Dreamlord?

MORPHEUS: I am hope.”