The Professor's Daughter

The Professor's Daughter

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  1,326 ratings  ·  248 reviews
Imhotep IV is an Egyptian mummy who’s just opened his eyes for the first time in 3,000 years. Lillian Bowell is the daughter of a renowned Egyptologist. One day, when the Professor’s away, the two go out for an afternoon on the town. The heap of trouble that they land in—brought on by Mozart, afternoon tea, and a passing gentleman’s sensitive nature—onlydeepens when they l...more
Hardcover, Collector's Edition, 80 pages
Published April 17th 2007 by First Second (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Professor's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Professor's Daughter

Michael
Knowing that it’s about the romance between a mummy and the daughter of the man who discovered him, I expected The Professor’s Daughter to be whimsical. And it is.

What I wasn’t prepared for was for it to go beyond whimsy and into ridiculousness. That’s not a bad thing, but it caught me off guard when I thought I was reading one kind of book and it turned out I was reading another.

To be fair, there are plenty of clues that this is where Sfar and Guibert are headed. The story begins as Lillian, da...more
Betsy
The romantic implications behind classic horror monsters are usually explored only when horror remains the primary focus and romance a secondary characteristic. There are exceptions to this rule, but they tend to end up creating Phantom of the Opera musicals or Anne Rice-like vampire novels. You might be able to make the case that for every werewolf, Frankenstein, and Invisible Man there's a sweet version of their story lurking somewhere, but you'd be hard pressed to say the same for mummies. Mu...more
Michelle Witte
Originally reviewed at Libri Ago.

Before the paranormal romance craze, the concept of this book would have seemed utterly bizarre: in Victorian England, the daughter of an Egyptologist and one of the mummies he brought back from Egypt fall in love. (Plus accidental murder, kidnappings, and Queen Victoria being tossed in the Thames River.)

Now, there are other zombie love stories floating around, but when The Professor's Daughter was originally published in France in 1997, it was a completely novel...more
Seth Hahne
I don't often review comedies for the simple reason that I have a ridiculously hard time trying to figure out what to say about them. I might be able to explore an interesting path if a comedy tries to use its sense of humour to disarm or ratify some idea or other, but apart from that I'm left with little to do but express whether I found its humour to be worth my time.

The Professor's Daughter by Joann Sfar and Emmanuel Guibert

Critiquing books whose aim is little higher than simply providing the reader with a brief period of entertainment is a task I f...more
Elizabeth Los
I ran across this book when searching my library's website for graphic novels. It was a nice, light read and a sweet story.

The basic plot is a professor's daughter releases Imhotep from his sarcophagus. The two take a stroll, both very much in love with one another. But all is not well for long as problems arise.

I liked the illustrations throughout this book. It was interested to have different "scenes" change in background color (you'll see if you read the book). This was a sweet story.

For tho...more
Qt
Quite charming! I like the whimsical illustrations and delightful dialogue, and I love the whole concept--a mix of romance, adventure, lots of humor, and action.
Parts of it were a bit, well, strange (murder is treated rather light-heartedly, for one thing) and it isn't always very logical. Still, if you don't take it too seriously, but simply want an enjoyably silly read, you might like it. (It might also help if you've seen at least one mummy movie.)
Angie
This charming, madcap Victorian romp was originally published in 1997 and has just recently been translated into English and reissued by First Second. The French pairing, Joann Sfar and Emmanuel Guibert, have infused their girl-meets-mummy love story with equal amounts whimsy and longing. Lillian Bowell is the daughter of renowned Egyptologist Professor Bowell. During one of her father's many absences, Lillian befriends one of her father's many mummies, Imhotep IV. Lillian soon feels safe with...more
Bryce Holt
This story was painfully dumb. I have to think that the author intended it for children, but there was a little too much adult stuff involved to make it so (spirits coming out of mummies, people getting shot and poisoned, mummies getting sentenced to death {yeah, even in a fantasy book, try rationalizing that?}). The ending made me tremor with hate for the author, and as I turned the last page, I kind of wanted to throw myself off the tallest building in Lenexa (which is only about three stories...more
Turrean
Eccentric, to say the least. I was charmed by the romance, the artwork, by a cameo appearance of Queen Victoria, and by the Monty Pythonesque silliness of the plot. "(A body! My goodness, no, I don't know where it came from. Oh look, there's another one on the stairs.") Just one quibble--if the mummy, under his bandages, is a perfectly ordinary-looking fellow, then why on earth would he wear them?
jess
The premise is that the daughter of a prominent Egyptologist goes for a walk with one of her father's prize mummies. They walk, talk, fall in love, and then things start to unravel as they land in heaps of trouble. The illustrations are lovely, the dialogue is mostly snappy and funny. The plot didn't full engage me (improbable, totally weird love story? meh) and the characters were pretty shallow, but it was an interesting exercise.
Kate
Who says a three thousand year old mummy and a young woman in Victorian England can't fall in love? This is an extremely well done graphic novel about the misadventures of the pair and a host of other significant characters. The artwork is great (watercolors, I think) and the storyline is fun and exciting and has some incredibly funny twists. This one makes the top 5 of my favorite graphic novels this year.
Sesana
This graphic novel is a short, swift, and charming read. I wish I could remember now why I decided to read it in the first place, but I'm glad I did. The art is lovely, all beautifully sepia. The story, however, does tend to get a little out there in places. But the heart of it is a love story between a mummy and a Victorian lady, and I loved it.
Anne
Jun 16, 2007 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of Egyptology and Victoriana
A sweet story, beautifully illustrated, about the very complicated love between a mummy at the British Museum and the professor's daughter Lillian (of course). It's an extremely quick read, which leaves me rather curious about other graphic novels.
Emily
This book is just....what. I have no idea what's going on, and it just get's more crazy as the book goes on. The story itself would be pretty cool, but how it was written was totally cray-cray. The artwork is beautiful though.
Elijah Kinch Spector
A fun story, and beautiful to look at (really, really beautiful), but I'm glad I got it from the library instead of buying it, because it goes by in a flash. Nice to see a kid's story that gets so dark, though.
Kathy
I have to agree with my daughter that this story ends too soon.
It is an amusing adventure/romance between the title character and her father's mummy.
I read it in less than 30 minutes, even though I read most of it aloud with my daughter. I guess the downfall, if one considers it that, of graphic novels is that pictures read more quickly than words, so the story races along. But it is great fun, and quick enough to read at breakfast.
This is translated from the original French, so perhaps I should...more
Marilyn
Beautiful art, interesting story line that I did not expect. How long does true love last? Thousands of years, apparently, at least in the romantic musings of these authors. Cultural differences and modern laws are weighed although, in this fantastical tale, the persons butting heads are centuries apart. This book also raises questions about the legitimacy of displaying "artifacts" in museums - if the artifacts we view behind glass had feelings, what would they try to tell us about who they are...more
Marfita
Jan 03, 2011 Marfita rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mummy-lovers
Shelves: graphics
I was utterly charmed by the story, the illustrations, and the printing. The cavorting with mummies reminded me of the Adèle Blanc-Sec books, but this story is slightly less gruesome than those. True, there are poisonings and shootings, but this is a love story between Imhotep IV and the daughter of the professor who planned to put him on display. While capturing the surreal, the exquisite drawings evoke the past with the regularity of their size and the monochrome treatment of the early part of...more
Andrew
I picked this book up because of the publisher, First Second. I rarely do that, but I'm always interested in what First Second produces. Their books are unique and produced with high quality. (They didn't ask me to say that.)

This volume happens to be the English edition of a foreign language comic. Multiple reviewers have used the term "whimsical" in their reviews of this book so I hesitate to say that again here, but "whimsy" really is an apt descriptor.

This story feels like a small piece of s...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
The story is a weird but interesting one. I really enjoyed the beginning where the two of them walked the streets of London. Imhotep IV and Lillian bond over their marginalization and powerlessness in society. Both are loved by the professor, but more as possessions than as real people. They also both suffer from daddy issues.

After the opening though, I thought the story went downhill. The plot is a bit far-fetched, even for a fantasy story. The actions that the characters take at pretty much an...more
Andy Shuping
"The Professor's Daughter" is a most unusual love story, a tale of the mummy of Imhotep IV and the daughter of the man who dug him up. And it has such a great premise! But...the story falls apart in a few places for me. In places it feels far too rushed. I mean yes this is an unusual romance, but I have no sense of time or pacing, everything feels like it's happening right then! All crammed up on top of each other. It also feels like it reached a somewhat stunted ending. I just wish they had tol...more
Becky
Oct 02, 2007 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults and certain high schoolers with an appreciation of Victorian romance and/or Egyptology
Shelves: graphic-novels
Well, I read this book and my main reaction was "ehhh??" I found it disjointed and perplexing, like it meant to be funny but wasn't quite hitting the right notes. And I had no idea who I'd recommend it to...when the book jacket says "best savored with romantic company and a pot of fine Darjeeling," is it really a teen book?

Probably not. So after reading the glowing reviews and changing my wavelength from middle-school-Maximum-Ride-Twilight, I'm second-guessing my first reaction. As one review s...more
Loyd
Joann Sfar and artist Emmanuel Guibert have crafted a witty, amusing and terrifying story, a whimsical Victorian tale of living mummies, parental oppression, tea at Buckingham Palace and star-crossed love. "Whimsical" may be an odd term for a story containing a number of killings, but there's also the Queen doing the backstroke in the Thames, so what else can you call it? You've got to love the bandaged Imhotep in top hat, waistcoat and spats, strolling near the Tower of London with Lillian, his...more
Nesa Sivagnanam
She’s the daughter of renowned Egyptologist Professor Bowell. He is the mummy Imhotep IV, owned by her father and awake for the first time in thirty centuries. I can almost hear what you’re thinking … a woman and a mummy? Never the twain shall meet!

And you’d very fortunately be entirely wrong. Not only do they meet (he is owned by her father after all) but they share a deep and abiding love.

Enter the young lady’s father, who quite naturally frowns upon the romance. The mummy is, after all, a val...more
nancy
Now that I have all of the First Second books within arm's reach, I'm greedily devouring all of the titles that I haven't read yet and this one did not disappoint! It has a clever and utterly unique premise (a professor's daughter falls for Imhotep, the Egyptian pharaoh!!!), stunning artwork (my favorite panel is the scene in the courtroom) and clever dialogue that made me laugh out loud. This is what a good graphic novel should do: take you somewhere visually that you've never been before, deli...more
Sam Quixote
The classic romantic setup of boy meets girl is given a twist where a professor's daughter falls for a mummy. The mummy is Imhotep IV who imagines his long-dead wife in the visage of the woman, not such a laughable storyline as you'd think given that it preceded the Stephen Sommers "Mummy" movies by a couple of years, and that film had the exact same premise.

The artwork is so-so, the story kind of tired as the silliness of a mummy doesn't really go anywhere. Imhotep's dad is quite funny and I di...more
Slayermel
I'm not too sure how I feel about this book; it kind of leaves me with a "Meah" feeling. I mean maybe I was just expecting too much of a Mummy story, or maybe I've just read way too many fantastic Graphic Novels in a row that this one just didn't stand a chance.

This story is about a young woman who is the daughter of some type of professor who somehow ends up with a living mummy from one of his digs. It wasn't really explained that well. Then everyone just seems okay with the fact that a walking...more
Kristen Fiore
The cover is what drew me into this graphic novel. I thought it was interesting that a mummy was walking around with a young lady. It made me want to read why that was. The mummy was, in ancient times, a king or pharaoh. The father kept him in the attic. The daughter of the father fell in love with the mummy. They would go out together when the father wasn’t home and spend time together. The daughter ended up killing people in order to be with this man. I felt like this novel demonstrated how tr...more
Sarai
The story opens with the professor's daughter and a mummy, Imhotep, out on a date. The mummy cannot handle his liquor and beats someone up. A policeman appears at the daughter's home with the wounded man to press charges, so she drugs them, accidentally (?) poisoning them. The mummy's father arrives and kidnaps the daughter. She ends up in jail on trial for murder and the mummy's father kills her father and somehow in the end she and Imhotep end up married with children.

I picked this up while br...more
Julie
May 18, 2013 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Bookshelves of Doom
Well this was... different. I read it after seeing a post about it on Bookshelves of Doom. It's a short, fast read and a very odd little story. A professor of antiquities has dug up Imhotep IV (and previously, Imhotep III) who is apparently able to walk and talk and basically be alive (although he's not, exactly) and has fallen in love with the professor's daughter. Mayhem ensues. A LOT of mayhem.

The artwork is very beautiful. It has gorgeous lines, soft shading and coloring and I think I would...more
  • A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions of Extraterrestrial Novelties
  • Aya (Aya #1)
  • Garage Band
  • Good as Lily
  • Glacial Period
  • The Lindbergh Child (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 1 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection, #1)
  • Lola
  • City of Spies
  • Robot Dreams
  • Delphine
  • Houdini: The Handcuff King
Joann Sfar (born August 28, 1971 in Nice) is a French comics artist, comic book creator, and film director.

Sfar is considered one of the most important artists of the new wave of Franco-Belgian comics. Many of his comics were published by L'Association which was founded in 1990 by Jean-Christophe Menu and six other artists. He also worked together with many of the new movement's main artists, e.g....more
More about Joann Sfar...
The Rabbi's Cat Le Petit Prince Vampire Loves (Grand Vampire, #1-4) The Rabbi's Cat 2 Le Chat du Rabbin, Tome 1: La Bar Mitsva