The Other Side of Me

The Other Side of Me

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  3,449 ratings  ·  143 reviews
Author of over a dozen bestsellers, Academy Award-winning screenwriter, and creator of some of television's greatest hits, Sheldon has seen and done it all, and now in this candid memoir, he shares his story for the first time.
Published (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side of Me

Margarida
Para os admiradores de Sidney Sheldon!

Gostei muito. É uma autobiografia, escrita com a mesma mestria com que escreveu todos os seus romances. Prende desde a primeira frase! Leva-nos a conhecer os seus sucessos e fracassos, os seus medos, as suas inseguranças, os seus problemas emocionais, mas acima de tudo faz-nos ter vontade de virar a página seguinte e a "nunca fechar o livro demasiado cedo...", a nunca desistir de continuar a escrever o romance que é a vida! Felizmente, para nós leitores, Sid...more
John
This is a GREAT autobiography. I didn't know a lot about Sheldon, other than the fact that he was the creator/producer of the tv sitcom "I Dream of Jennie."

Sheldon had an indomitable spirit: everytime he got knocked down, he got back up. And he got knocked down a lot. And rather than becoming cynical, he regarded negative experiences as learning opportunities, and kept moving forward.

He worked with a lot of the greats: Cary Grant, Shirley Temple, Fred Astaire, Judy Garland...

You will have a har...more
Ice
Sheldon writes his memoir as an intense and emotional rollercoaster as only he can with battling bipolar disorder nearly his entire life. From his suicide attempt at age 17 in 1934 to the publication of his first book in 1969, Sheldon has worked hard for his accomplishments.

His prolific writing career reads like a grocery list of productions spanning film, theatre, television and books. O'Malley guides listeners through the author's adventures in Hollywood and Broadway with a lively and animated...more
Joy H.
RE: Sydney Sheldon (1917-2007)

I recently listened to an audio version of the following autobiography: The Other Side of Me by Sidney Sheldon (first published in 1995). He tells about how he got his start as a screenplay writer in Hollywood after many ups and downs. Eventually, he won an Oscar for writing "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer" which was chosen as the Best Original Screenplay of 1947. He also won a shared award for the writing of "Easter Parade" in 1949.

After going into TV, he create...more
Cynthia Bugsey
What did I expect? This is an autobiography, so it isn't as interesting as his usual fictional books.The interesting thing about this however is that one can't STOP reading it also. I loved how he told the story of his uncle who was broke and had to 'steal' his work from him which won (lol!). It also gives one the sights and scenes of long ago when people like Cary Grant were big and a good insight on how Hollywood really IS. Sheldon teaches us that you have to have determination coupled with gu...more
Rekha
Failures we face in our lives will not continue forever.Everyone should learn a lesson from the failure and come out to find a new life.
Leanne Hunt
As an author myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir. Although I had read several of Sidney Sheldon's books in the eighties, I had no idea that he was also a prolific writer of Broadway musicals, Hollywood screenplays and television series. It was also a surprise to find out that he suffered from bipolar syndrome, which affects many creative people and is a challenge to manage.
I particularly enjoyed reading about how Sheldon began his writing career. He certainly didn't start as a storyteller,...more
Anish Antony
I really loved reading this book. I know Sidney Sheldon was an excellent story teller of Thriller and Suspense. But I never has the faintest idea that he had won Oscar award for best writer. I have read a few novels of him and all were great thrillers. I am a big fan of SS but once when i realised his life saga, the admiration really went up.
Grown up in a struggling family, Sidney was in a loss of Hope and Happiness. Everyone in his family forced to work to meet their daily needs. He was desp...more
Esther Fanny
no wonder why many of Sidney's lead characters had a " horrible past " and they had to fight in a hard battle of life to gain a properly life. it was Sidney's past had experienced before. his Struggle to earn living was tough, rejection, disappointing, bitterness, he had them once.
i found myself was mesmerized by the pages i read about him. he had bipolar and he wasn't confident about himself, but as he said, " never go out when your elevator at the bottom, just hold on over and over again "

in c...more
MONiCA
i've just finished reading this book a few weeks ago, and i learned a lot of things about my favorite author Sidney Sheldon, like he didn't start as a novelist (didn't become famous cos of his novels). he worked odd jobs to support not only his family but his dream as well. that he really was a master-- of almost everything. but human enough to feel depressed at times.
I kind of relate to his story, the manic depression part of it (bipolar).

overall, this one's a great "ending" for Mr. Sheldon's.
Denise
I always enjoy reading memoirs. I enjoyed the ride in Sheldon's life from cover to cover. He definitely was a very creative and resourceful writer, and his life turned out to be as surprising and any good novel. His father stopped him from committing suicide. Sidney was down and out, feeling depressed and so no way out of his situation. Never ending unsatisfying jobs and no hope, worst combination ever. His father told him "You don't know what can happen tomorrow. Life is like a novel, isn't it?...more
Navneet Gattani
It was my first book as a reader, a newbie, the year was 2007.
I didn't go through the review or to others for recommendation. It just came to me as I have to read it, it took me almost a month to complete and every day was a struggle, my first book and that too an autobiography of a profound author. The words were tough and my vocabulary was weak, still is. Grabbing the book in one hand and dictionary in another.

Still a wonderful experience, a book taking time as this remain in one's memories....more
Thilsath
Reading the story of Sidney Sheldon lifted up my spirits and makes me believe that with sheer determination,skies the only limit.
Grown up in a very difficult environment, Sidney has proven that one's willingness to succeed is the only way to be successful.

I'm glad that in the dark windswept street, he had decided to give life another chance by listening to his father's advice to keep turning the pages as we never know what comes tomorrow.

If you are a die hard fan of Sheldon, this is one of the...more
Indah Threez Lestari
Dengan membaca buku ini, jadi tahu bahwa Sidney Sheldon menggunakan beberapa fragmen kehidupannya sebagai latar belakang kisah tokoh utama dalam beberapa novel awalnya, khususnya The Other Side of Midnight dan A Stranger in the Mirror.

Ada satu hal yang kuperhatikan secara khusus dari sekian banyak cerita Sidney Sheldon di otobiografinya ini. Di sini dia divonis oleh psikiaternya kalau dia menderita schizofrenia(kerennya sih sakit jiwa... gitu, atau terbalik ya?), karena emosinya labil dan punya...more
Bonnie
Sidney Sheldon was one of the best at grabbing the reader by the throat and dragging them right into the story. I lost track of the number of times I literally could not put his books down until I finished them, then screamed in agony at the way he left the cliffhanger for the very last page. No, no! There must be another chapter!!

His memoir is, apparently, no different. I just started it this morning (8/4). This is the opening sentence: "At the age of seventeen, working as a delivery boy at Afr...more
Mme.
Sidney Sheldon, was one of the most best-selling writers of all times! A remarkable man who had many talents. He was an Academy Award-winning writer who left a legacy of great novels and a creator (screenwriter) of several TV shows (The Patty Duke Show, I Dream of Jeannie and Hart to Hart). To name a few, I truly loved his best-selling novels (The Other Side of Midnight, Memories of Midnight, Master of the Game and Rage of Angels) that later became a spin-off for several movies.

Sidney Sheldon,...more
Handaka mukarta
saya belum pernah membaca buku sheldon sebelumnya dan rasanya tidak berniat untuk membaca satupun novelnya.

buku ini saya dapat di bookcity buaran ketika mengantar anak bermain kesana. membaca selintas bab 1, yg menceritakan pergumulan hidup sebuah keluarga melewati masa susah-susah great depression. kehidupan sulit yg membuat saya begitu terpana. selanjutnya, buku ini tidak saya letakan sampai selesai membacanya.

sidney sheldon lahir ditengah keluarga miskin, yg selalu dihiasai cek-cok rumah tan...more
Biondy
Judul: Sisi Lain Diriku
Penulis: Sidney Sheldon
Penerbit: Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Halaman: 480 halaman
Terbitan: 2007

Memoar, dilengkapi foto-foto

Hanya sedikit penulis yang mempunyai berbagai bakat dan produktif seperti Sidney Sheldon. Buku-bukunya dan karya-karyanya dalam film, TV, dan teater yang laris telah mencengangkan jutaan orang. Ia telah menulis 18 novel, lebih dari 25 skenario film Hollywood, dan naskah untuk pertunjukan TV yang diciptakannya yang tak terhitung jumlahnya.

Kini ia menceritakan...more
Abdelaziz Maldisa
I enjoyed this book immensely, Sheldon discusses his life in Broadway, to MGM, Paramount, Columbia, Television through his ups and downs, when the elevators are on the top and bottom. His collaborations with Cary Grant and Judy Garland, his dinner with Marilyn Monroe, his relation with Groucho Marx.

He employed Filipino staff, hmmm.... "The Best Laid Plans" portrayed a Filipina maid
T.S. Eliot adored Groucho (one of my favorite poets)
And this letter from George Orwell:

“Dear Mr. Sheldon,
Many thanks...more
Von Fritz
I kinda forgotten my idol Sidney Sheldon in a while. What for? I already read all his novels.

I was browsing some new books at National Bookstore one day and voila! I found a copy of The Other Side of Me – Sheldon’s autobiography. And what a coincidence...I discussed about it to a colleague one night shift who also reads Sheldon’s novels and she said she could lend me her copy. Cool!

So I began reading The Other Side of Me three days later and gawd, I could stop. Just like the old times. Sidney Sh...more
Arjun Kumar
The first sidney sheldon book in my reading shelf is "Tell me your dreams". I really enjoyed reading the tell me your dreams novel,which is totally a thrilled one.

Before reading the other side of me novel , i thought its fully based on sidney sheldon's biography and i thought it will bore me, which i don't know later i will love this book.

From the beginning to last , its totally good one. Usually i won't read biographies because of a thought that doesn't tastes much. But when i start to read t...more
Siti Sakir
Salah satu cara untuk membeli kehidupan orang lain, baca autobiografi dia.
Sungguh menyenangkan betapa banyak pelajaran yang dapat dipetik dari kehidupan (baca: trial error) orang lain, kita jadi bisa bersiap siap jika melihat lubang yang sama, kan?

Yang berkesan tentang buku ini, banyak. Salah satunya, di satu bab ketika Mr Sheldon terpaksa harus meminjamn uang dari pembantunya untuk ongkos, padahal dia sudah menjadi penulis naskah yang mapan ketika itu, tapi, ya, itu.. Bikin saya jadi mikir kena...more
Haryadi 'Fathin | Omnduut' Yansyah
Sidney Sheldon sukses luar biasa dalam karier kepenulisannya, namun bagaimanapun ia tetap manusia biasa. Manusia yang pernah melewati masa-masa suram yang datang silih berganti dalam hidupnya. The Other Side of Me dibuka dengan adegan dimana Sidney Sheldon hendak bunuh diri diusianya yang baru menginjak 17 tahun. Di usia remaja itu, Sidney merasa bahwa hidupnya benar-benar susah. Orang tuanya miskin dan kerap bertengkar. Pekerjaannya di toko obat terkadang terasa begitu menyiksa. Harapannya untu...more
Swamy Gorrela
Reading ones life is very interesting ! Today i read about Sydney sheldon . Its really interesting to know that he became a famous author from a poor boy with suicidal attitude!! He tried to commit suicide when he was young but, his father stopped him
''LIFE IS LIKE A NOVEL, YOU DONT HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT UNTILL YOU TURN THE PAGE! " Otto (sydney's father) told him.
With the moral strength given by his father and support from mother, he tried to elevate his life from day to day! His...more
Andre
I'm a big fan of Mr. Sheldon, and his stories always amaze me, so I thought his life story would be no different. And I was right. He writes like few people can, and his well-known technique of keeping the reader glued to the book and wanting to always read one more page is present here, too. But unlikely he does with his fictional characters, Sidney Sheldon speaks little of his personal life, and focuses heavily (some could argue he focuses only) on his professional life. His accomplishments an...more
Fahim Faisal
Sidney Sheldon really had an interesting life. Really, reading this biography (It's similar to a novel actually) taught me what hard work is and what it can lead to. I liked the most usual thing it wanted to say - "Never give up. There will be moments in one's that he/she won't like, but never give up. You are sure to succeed if you determined to be successful." A lot to learn from this.
Faten Eassa
I recently read this book and I've often wondered why Sidney Sheldon with all his talent has chosen to write thrillers; he could have written novels with his analytical style. I yet learned after reading this book how society can be harsh and give great talents no choice but to write what sells more and not what they really wish to write. I think Sidney Sheldon was great;Master of the Game, Sands of Time, Memoreis of Midnight could stand for good wroks of art; they're so much more than thrillers...more
ManDewi
Mengenal Sidney Sheldon sebagai penulis novel misteri, membuat saya terkagum-kagum membaca perjalanan hidupnya yang lebih dari itu. Bermula dari keinginan untuk bunuh diri yang digagalkan sang ayah, Sidney Sheldon mulai mencari peruntungan di segala jalan yang ia temui. Kegagalan seolah menjadi nama tengahnya tetapi syukurnya itu tidak membuatnya berhenti bekerja, mengubah nasib yang tidak ia suka. Dunia hiburan pun ia masuki melalui jalan sebagai pembaca dan pembuat resensi, penulis naskah dram...more
Joan Chan

As the title suggests, this biography is a candid memoir of Sheldon's other side of life - a prolific writer of TV , films and Broadway plays. He had been through so many success and failures , emotional roller- coasters in life which were almost as dramatic as the plots in his novels ; sometimes you even find them hard to believe. He also described his struggles with the manic depression , now called bipolar disorder throughout his life . The book is a page-turner like all his novels . A great...more
Lade Tawak
I love love Sidney Sheldon but I didn't know anything about the man. So I found this book and read it and I have decided that Sidney Sheldon is the most awesome writer who ever lived.

The book doesn't reveal much of his personal life but it touches on his manic depression, his parents' divorce, attempted suicide, the loss of his child and some other highs and lows of his personal life.

The book focuses mostly on his professional life/career. From writing sypnosis to screenplays to broadway shows a...more
Sensational 4 18 Apr 08, 2012 06:49AM
  • Sidney Sheldon's Angel of the Dark
  • American Prince: A Memoir
  • Vivien: The Life of Vivien Leigh
  • A Quiver Full of Arrows
  • Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda, 9 Vols.
  • Life Beyond Measure: Letters to My Great-Granddaughter
  • My Song: A Memoir
  • Drama: An Actor's Education
  • My Extraordinary Ordinary Life
  • The Million Dollar Mermaid
Was an American writer who won awards in three careers—a Broadway playwright, a Hollywood TV and movie screenwriter, and a best-selling novelist. His TV works spanned a 20-year period during which he created I Dream of Jeannie (1965-70), Hart to Hart (1979-84), and The Patty Duke Show (1963-66), but it was not until after he turned 50 and began writing best-selling novels such as Master of the Gam...more
More about Sidney Sheldon...
If Tomorrow Comes Master of the Game The Other Side of Midnight Tell Me Your Dreams Rage of Angels

“When they die no one will ever know that once they lived.” 77 likes