Start by marking “The Other Side of Me” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of Me

The Other Side of Me

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  4,889 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
Author of over a dozen bestsellers, Academy Award-winning screenwriter, and creator of some of television's greatest hits, Sheldon has seen and done it all, and now in this candid memoir, he shares his story for the first time.
Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side of Me

John
Nov 15, 2008 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a GREAT autobiography. I didn't know a lot about Sheldon, other than the fact that he was the creator/producer of the tv sitcom "I Dream of Jennie."

Sheldon had an indomitable spirit: everytime he got knocked down, he got back up. And he got knocked down a lot. And rather than becoming cynical, he regarded negative experiences as learning opportunities, and kept moving forward.

He worked with a lot of the greats: Cary Grant, Shirley Temple, Fred Astaire, Judy Garland...

You will have a har
Margarida
Para os admiradores de Sidney Sheldon!

Gostei muito. É uma autobiografia, escrita com a mesma mestria com que escreveu todos os seus romances. Prende desde a primeira frase! Leva-nos a conhecer os seus sucessos e fracassos, os seus medos, as suas inseguranças, os seus problemas emocionais, mas acima de tudo faz-nos ter vontade de virar a página seguinte e a "nunca fechar o livro demasiado cedo...", a nunca desistir de continuar a escrever o romance que é a vida! Felizmente, para nós leitores, Sid
Joy H.
Added 2/22/10.
RE: Sydney Sheldon (1917-2007)

I recently listened to an audio version of the following autobiography: The Other Side of Me by Sidney Sheldon (first published in 1995). He tells about how he got his start as a screenplay writer in Hollywood after many ups and downs. Eventually, he won an Oscar for writing "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer" which was chosen as the Best Original Screenplay of 1947. He also won a shared award for the writing of "Easter Parade" in 1949.

After going into
Rekha
Failures we face in our lives will not continue forever.Everyone should learn a lesson from the failure and come out to find a new life.
Anish Antony
I really loved reading this book. I know Sidney Sheldon was an excellent story teller of Thriller and Suspense. But I never has the faintest idea that he had won Oscar award for best writer. I have read a few novels of him and all were great thrillers. I am a big fan of SS but once when i realised his life saga, the admiration really went up.
Grown up in a struggling family, Sidney was in a loss of Hope and Happiness. Everyone in his family forced to work to meet their daily needs. He was desp
Ice
May 12, 2010 Ice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Sheldon writes his memoir as an intense and emotional rollercoaster as only he can with battling bipolar disorder nearly his entire life. From his suicide attempt at age 17 in 1934 to the publication of his first book in 1969, Sheldon has worked hard for his accomplishments.

His prolific writing career reads like a grocery list of productions spanning film, theatre, television and books. O'Malley guides listeners through the author's adventures in Hollywood and Broadway with a lively and animated
Chasia Lloyd
May 26, 2016 Chasia Lloyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Trigger Warning: suicide ideation*

"But I'd hate to see you close the book too soon and miss all the excitement that could happen to you on the next page--the page you're going to write."

I don't often go for the people behind the camera/microphone when it comes to memoirs, but I couldn't resist Sidney Sheldon's when I read he discusses being bipolar. And the book opens with his father talking him out of a suicide attempt, and the conversation they shared hit me so damn hard. I clung to Sheldon's
Cynthia Bugsey
May 17, 2011 Cynthia Bugsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What did I expect? This is an autobiography, so it isn't as interesting as his usual fictional books.The interesting thing about this however is that one can't STOP reading it also. I loved how he told the story of his uncle who was broke and had to 'steal' his work from him which won (lol!). It also gives one the sights and scenes of long ago when people like Cary Grant were big and a good insight on how Hollywood really IS. Sheldon teaches us that you have to have determination coupled with gu ...more
Santhosh
It was the title that caught my eye. A clever play with words, it is indicative both of arguably his best novel, The Other Side Of Midnight, and the story of the private Sheldon.

You have to hand it to the guy. He's had a career as a usher, bar-boy, druggist, bell-boy, hollywood, broadway, playwright, screenplay, nibbled at direction and production before finally becoming what he is now.

In short, this is an account of Sheldon's life and is an interesting read. This is not the regular self-promoti
Leanne Hunt
Jan 07, 2014 Leanne Hunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
As an author myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir. Although I had read several of Sidney Sheldon's books in the eighties, I had no idea that he was also a prolific writer of Broadway musicals, Hollywood screenplays and television series. It was also a surprise to find out that he suffered from bipolar syndrome, which affects many creative people and is a challenge to manage.
I particularly enjoyed reading about how Sheldon began his writing career. He certainly didn't start as a storyteller,
Mehwish
Oct 12, 2015 Mehwish rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
...but ready or not, life goes on.

America had had him in worst of it's time where he had predicaments and owned inadequacies then, that a third world country has today..
Except not much money.
He aspired affluence and some fame too.

His family was a turbulent one, Nothing new in West or in other Authors' Biographies.
He left his college and involved himself in petty jobs to cover their home expenses alongside he struggled to do something that involves writing. he dabbled with radio station, song
Esther
Dec 26, 2012 Esther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
no wonder why many of Sidney's lead characters had a " horrible past " and they had to fight in a hard battle of life to gain a properly life. it was Sidney's past had experienced before. his Struggle to earn living was tough, rejection, disappointing, bitterness, he had them once.
i found myself was mesmerized by the pages i read about him. he had bipolar and he wasn't confident about himself, but as he said, " never go out when your elevator at the bottom, just hold on over and over again "

in c
MONiCA
Apr 19, 2009 MONiCA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i've just finished reading this book a few weeks ago, and i learned a lot of things about my favorite author Sidney Sheldon, like he didn't start as a novelist (didn't become famous cos of his novels). he worked odd jobs to support not only his family but his dream as well. that he really was a master-- of almost everything. but human enough to feel depressed at times.
I kind of relate to his story, the manic depression part of it (bipolar).

overall, this one's a great "ending" for Mr. Sheldon's.
Mar 13, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Benazeer
Apr 26, 2015 Benazeer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Very simple and boring autobiography. It feels like I am reading some notes. like someone just telling what he went through but didn't tell the feelings, depth, how life surprises us, expressionless no enthusiasm less thrill. It could be much better. I just turned the pages to finish this book. Only quote that touched to my heart was " Life is like a novel. It's filled with suspense. You have no idea what is going to happen until you turn the page.
Parva Chhantyal
Frankly, I was kind of bored in the middle. He focused too much on Hollywood and not much on the novels but I guess that's what it is all about 'The other side of me'.

Still, its great to know so much about him. The book is really slow compared to his novels but let's not compare autobiography with fictional books.
Beatrix
Jan 06, 2017 Beatrix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely interesting. I really enjoyed reading, it was fantastic
Handaka mukarta
Jan 06, 2009 Handaka mukarta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
saya belum pernah membaca buku sheldon sebelumnya dan rasanya tidak berniat untuk membaca satupun novelnya.

buku ini saya dapat di bookcity buaran ketika mengantar anak bermain kesana. membaca selintas bab 1, yg menceritakan pergumulan hidup sebuah keluarga melewati masa susah-susah great depression. kehidupan sulit yg membuat saya begitu terpana. selanjutnya, buku ini tidak saya letakan sampai selesai membacanya.

sidney sheldon lahir ditengah keluarga miskin, yg selalu dihiasai cek-cok rumah tan
Aaf Afnifay
Feb 17, 2017 Aaf Afnifay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Awesome! and I really like it. 4/5*).
Memoar ini diceritakan seperti novel dengan menggunakan sudut pandang orang pertama, si penulis itu sendiri. Penulis menceritakan bagaimana kisah hidupnya, di mana dia hidup di tengah-tengah keluarga yang selalu ribut. Tapi dibalik itu semua kedua orangtuanya amat menyayanginya. Tak hanya dengan kondisi kehidupan orangtuanya yang kurang baik, kondisi keuangan di kehidupannya juga mengalami hal yang sama. Itu juga yang mengharuskannya untuk bekerja di usiany
Ravi Abhyankar
Sep 25, 2014 Ravi Abhyankar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sheldon, Sidney. The other side of me, Warner Books, New York, 2005. Hardcover, pages 363.

Rating: 9/10

Sometimes, from a distance, we know a person well for many years. We get an opportunity to get closer, learn more and are stunned to know how much we didn’t know about him. The memoir by Sidney Sheldon with an apt name reveals to the readers his incredible life and superhuman achievements. I want you to read this book so much that you should stop at this point and not read anything further in
Haryadi Yansyah
Mar 24, 2010 Haryadi Yansyah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: semacam-memoar
Sidney Sheldon sukses luar biasa dalam karier kepenulisannya, namun bagaimanapun ia tetap manusia biasa. Manusia yang pernah melewati masa-masa suram yang datang silih berganti dalam hidupnya. The Other Side of Me dibuka dengan adegan dimana Sidney Sheldon hendak bunuh diri diusianya yang baru menginjak 17 tahun. Di usia remaja itu, Sidney merasa bahwa hidupnya benar-benar susah. Orang tuanya miskin dan kerap bertengkar. Pekerjaannya di toko obat terkadang terasa begitu menyiksa. Harapannya untu ...more
Ayesha
Mar 06, 2017 Ayesha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enchanting piece of writing that made me admire Sidney to the maximum. He is one of the first writers I read and the very first book had me intrigued till the end. The suspense, the thrill and the climax that literally made the jaw drop is what Sidney's books has been all about.

Today, after reading what it was like being Sidney Sheldon. Being subject to poverty, change, richness, fame, glorious success, devastating failures and yet not giving up is what Sidney told me.

Sidney taught that it is
Nancy Oyula
May 15, 2016 Nancy Oyula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Narrated in first person, we are introduced to a teenage boy, Sidney Schechtel, son of Otto Schechtel an American from Chicago, and Natalie Marcus, a Russian. Among other things, Sidney works as a delivery boy at a Chicago drug store. Sidney seemed to be suicidal and once stole sleeping pills for the purpose of taking his own life. Before taking the pills though, a voice spoke to him, it’s his dad, Otto, astonished that his son was a drinker; Sidney had had a glass of Whiskey with him. stunned, ...more
Kathae
Sep 20, 2016 Kathae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sheldon, own, non-fiction
Great life story. I know I should've done the math when I checked out the Wikipedia page on him to realise that most of his career involved Broadway and Hollywood, much less his novels. Sadly, I had expected the his autobiography to tackle his novels a little more, since they're the works I had been able to follow given my age, and I have read them all. Nevertheless, I am happy to have been able to learn more about the Master Storyteller himself and how he came to be. The way he told his own sto ...more
Biondy
Judul: Sisi Lain Diriku
Penulis: Sidney Sheldon
Penerbit: Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Halaman: 480 halaman
Terbitan: 2007

Memoar, dilengkapi foto-foto

Hanya sedikit penulis yang mempunyai berbagai bakat dan produktif seperti Sidney Sheldon. Buku-bukunya dan karya-karyanya dalam film, TV, dan teater yang laris telah mencengangkan jutaan orang. Ia telah menulis 18 novel, lebih dari 25 skenario film Hollywood, dan naskah untuk pertunjukan TV yang diciptakannya yang tak terhitung jumlahnya.

Kini ia menceritakan
Jaimin Vaishnav
Famous lines from the book
"Everyday is a different page and they can be full of surprises. You will never know what's next until you turn the page"
In our life we always want success, fame and everything we love and upon achieve, we wish it to be remain forever. Read this book and you will understand even after so much fame and success sidney had started many things from scratch.
A big cultural difference is that in western culture you will be judged by your last performance not by how many succes
Mme.
Sep 30, 2011 Mme. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sidney Sheldon, was one of the most best-selling writers of all times! A remarkable man who had many talents. He was an Academy Award-winning writer who left a legacy of great novels and a creator (screenwriter) of several TV shows (The Patty Duke Show, I Dream of Jeannie and Hart to Hart). To name a few, I truly loved his best-selling novels (The Other Side of Midnight, Memories of Midnight, Master of the Game and Rage of Angels) that later became a spin-off for several movies.

Sidney Sheldon,
Abdelaziz Maldisa
Oct 02, 2013 Abdelaziz Maldisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensely, Sheldon discusses his life in Broadway, to MGM, Paramount, Columbia, Television through his ups and downs, when the elevators are on the top and bottom. His collaborations with Cary Grant and Judy Garland, his dinner with Marilyn Monroe, his relation with Groucho Marx.

He employed Filipino staff, hmmm.... "The Best Laid Plans" portrayed a Filipina maid
T.S. Eliot adored Groucho (one of my favorite poets)
And this letter from George Orwell:

“Dear Mr. Sheldon,
Many thanks
Indah Threez Lestari
Dengan membaca buku ini, jadi tahu bahwa Sidney Sheldon menggunakan beberapa fragmen kehidupannya sebagai latar belakang kisah tokoh utama dalam beberapa novel awalnya, khususnya The Other Side of Midnight dan A Stranger in the Mirror.

Ada satu hal yang kuperhatikan secara khusus dari sekian banyak cerita Sidney Sheldon di otobiografinya ini. Di sini dia divonis oleh psikiaternya kalau dia menderita schizofrenia(kerennya sih sakit jiwa... gitu, atau terbalik ya?), karena emosinya labil dan punya
Bonnie
Aug 03, 2011 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sidney Sheldon was one of the best at grabbing the reader by the throat and dragging them right into the story. I lost track of the number of times I literally could not put his books down until I finished them, then screamed in agony at the way he left the cliffhanger for the very last page. No, no! There must be another chapter!!

His memoir is, apparently, no different. I just started it this morning (8/4). This is the opening sentence: "At the age of seventeen, working as a delivery boy at Afr
Sensational 4 20 Apr 08, 2012 06:49AM
  • Inspired Talks
  • American Prince: A Memoir
  • The Science of Religion
  • Life Beyond Measure: Letters to My Great-Granddaughter
  • Scenes from a Writer's Life
  • Under Their Thumb: How a Nice Boy from Brooklyn Got Mixed Up with the Rolling Stones (and Lived to Tell About It)
  • డబ్బు టుది పవరాఫ్ డబ్బు  [Dabbu to the Power of Dabbu]
  • My Song: A Memoir
  • A Quiver Full of Arrows
  • Cheech & Chong: The Unauthorized Autobiography
  • Pieces of My Heart: A Life
  • Illuminating Angels  Demons: The Unauthorized Guide to the Facts Behind Dan Brown's Bestselling Novel
  • Only Love
  • The Old Neighborhood
  • Sweet Dreams Are Made of This: A Life In Music
  • Steve Jobs: Genius by Design: Campfire Biography-Heroes Line
  • இட்லியாக இருங்கள் -  	Idlyaga Irungal
  • Hitman: Forty Years Making Music, Topping the Charts, and Winning Grammys
Sidney Sheldon (1917-2007) was an American writer who won awards in three careers—a Broadway playwright, a Hollywood TV and movie screenwriter, and a best-selling novelist.

His TV works spanned a twenty-year period during which he created I Dream of Jeannie (1965-70), Hart to Hart (1979-84), and The Patty Duke Show (1963-66), but it was not until after he turned 50 and began writing best-selling no
More about Sidney Sheldon...

“When they die no one will ever know that once they lived.” 91 likes