Start by marking “The Future of the Body: Explorations into the Further Evolution of Human Nature” as Want to Read:
The Future of the Body: Explorations into the Further Evolution of Human Nature

The Future of the Body: Explorations into the Further Evolution of Human Nature

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In the oral & written histories of all cultures, there are records of persons who've displayed extraordinary physical, mental & spiritual capacities. In modern times, those records have been supplemented by scientific studies of exceptional functioning. Are metanormal attributes latent within everyone? What's the evidence that all humanity has unrealized capacities...more
Published January 1st 1992 by Tarcher/Putnam (NYC)

To ask other readers questions about The Future of the Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Future of the Body

M. Joseph Murphy
I've read this book multiple times since I was a child. It completely redefined how I thought of human evolution. I can't overstate the influence it had on my writing. It's also the reason I publish under the name M Joseph Murphy. There are too many Michael Joseph Murphys writing books. However, no one has written a book like this. An absolute must read for anyone interested in real superpowers.
Kim Krisco
Greatly expands the current understanding of evolution.
Erik Graff
Sep 22, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Murphy fans
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: sciences
This book is all over the place. It is presented as an overview of the extraordinary capacities exhibited by some humans and it does that, but it does it without much concern for the quality of the sources, the weight of the evidence of the plausibility of the claim. It is one thing to review research in parapsychology, quite another to accept medieval lives of the saints. Still, where else can one find an extended exposition of the "odor of sanctity" displayed by some corpses?

I was given this a...more
Timm
Jan 25, 2009 Timm is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A review of the history and empirical data of metanormal human capacities. As well as a map for creating a transformative practice designed to encourage the growth of said metanormal capacities. A fore-runner to Ken Wilber's Integral Movement, Michael Murphy co-founder the Esalen institute in Big Sur, California.
David Boulet
At first I found the girth of the book more inspiring than daunting, but I must admit some intimidation in starting this huge tome. It's length is not regrettable in the slightest, though. It is positively brimming with information and anecdotes that are a wonder to have on hand.
Catherine
Loved this book! Still reading it, and probably continue throughout my life. Very inspiring and increases the range of what I believed to be possible in this mysterious world.
Donadi
Donadi marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Юрій Левикін
Юрій Левикін marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Guruguru
Guruguru marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Leonardo
Leonardo marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Keith Becker
Keith Becker marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Sky Feather
Sky Feather marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
David Teachout
David Teachout marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
adrenalexpire
adrenalexpire marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Ankush Pahwa
Ankush Pahwa marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Vkm2009
Vkm2009 marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bestselling author Michael Murphy has been called the father of the human potential movement, one of the most influential movements in twentieth-century American culture. His bestselling book Golf in the Kingdom (1972) inspired the creation of the Shivas Irons Society, a nonprofit group dedicated to finding beauty and discovery through the game of golf, and has recently been adapted into a movie s...more
More about Michael Murphy...
Golf in the Kingdom The Kingdom of Shivas Irons Eat Dat New Orleans: A Guide to the Unique Food Culture of the Crescent City A Description of the Blazing World Miga, Quatchi and Sumi: The Story of the Vancouver 2010 Mascots