Start by marking “Getting to the Heart of Interfaith: The Eye-Opening, Hope-Filled Friendship of a Pastor, a Rabbi & a Sheikh” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Too often religion seems to fuel more hatred than love, more conflict than collaboration. The authors of Getting to the Heart of Interfaitha rabbi, a pastor, and a sheikhhave developed a unique friendship that provides a rich understanding about the road to interfaith spirituality. These three interfaith amigos, as they have called themselves on their Interfaith Talk Radio ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Skylight Paths Publishing (first published May 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Getting to the Heart of Interfaith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting to the Heart of Interfaith

I do not recommend this book. While there are some valuable thoughts about interfaith friendships, the theology is off-base.

The book claims to explore the interfaith friendship between a pastor, a rabbi, and a sheikh, yet they all believe they worship a common deity, a common Universal. They view Christianity, Judaism, and Islam as faith traditions. This makes their exploration more an exploration of cultures rather than a search to understand how to build friendships with others who hold differ
Compassion, Unconditional Love and Oneness were described by the Muslin, Christian and Jewish authors in an effort to share a "Core Belief" from which each author comes when they are doing their "interfaith work" together. They challenged me to find my own core belief and my own story to share when I encounter a person of another faith tradition. This would be part of what is referred to as:
Stage 1: Moving beyond separation and suspicion. It is only after I have an honest in depth place in my ow
Do not be fooled by the cover - this is a beautiful book. The Three Interfaith Amigos of NPR fame guide us down the dangerous rapids of interfaith dialogue, suggesting healing occurs when we focus on what unites rather than on what divides us. As we learn to listen to one another more deeply, we discover and are enriched by the unique insights of each tradition. Individually they share what they question as well as what they love about their own faith, and counter common misconceptions. They sha ...more
A pastor, a rabbi and a sheikh explore the commonalities among the three Abrahamic faiths. They outline steps that we can take to begin our own interfaith journeys. They share how exploring other faiths has, not only helped them feel brotherhood with each other, but has also deepened their appreciation for their own faiths. I liked that each of them described both the positive aspects and the difficult aspects of his own faith. The three of them co-led a tour of the Holy Land, feeling empathy as ...more
This is the most helpful interfaith book I've seen. The authors illustrate with the progress of their own friendship how to gradually build relationships with people of other faiths or spiritual outlooks, making the process concrete and human. The reflections of the three "Interfaith Amigos" also provide food for thought on spiritual matters. Even though I've never belonged to any faith tradition, over the last several years I've been involved in interfaith events to support better understanding ...more
Anita Jacob
Getting to the Heart of Interfaith is an enjoyable read. The authors have suggested 5 steps for successful interfaith dialogue and stress the fact that it has to go beyond our prejudices about the different faiths. It's a journey of coming out of our little boxes and expanding not only our mind but our hearts and experiences. What I realized though is that for inclusive spirituality one has to have an outlook that is brave enough to embrace instead of being governed by fear.
Wow! An absorbing comparison of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam by a pastor, a rabbi, and a sheikh. I was intrigued by the honesty of the three men as they struggle with the difficult questions of their own religions, and as they experience a shared trip to the holy land. I loved that they also shared what they loved about their religions, and how they attempted to bridge the
gap between each other and their respective religions.
An intriguing look at faith that doesn't propose that all paths lead to one; instead, it suggests what can be appreciated from various systems of faith to help strengthen one's own choice of religious/faith practice. The authors are refreshingly candid as they include the aspects of their faith systems they find cohesive and devisive.
Thought provoking look at what happens when a Christian minister, Jewish rabbi and Muslim sheikh come together to discuss their common ground and share their discoveries with the world. Eye opening in that the three religions share more than Abraham, and have many worship traditions and beliefs that are similar or very nearly the same.
I have very mixed feelings on this book. I started off liking it and the authors' mindset to the whole interfaith issue. But as I read on, I noticed my vision of "interfaith" is very different from theirs. If this book is what all books on interfaith have in mind, then the word for what I was expecting is not "interfaith".
Interesting intro to "interfaith" as it discusses the light & dark sides of Judaism, Islam, & Christianity. I especially liked the insights into mystical Judaism. I was expecting more of an exploration of community though - if anything, this book made me realize that we have a long way to go.
This is a MUST READ in my opinion. Fascinating look into the Christianity, Judaism, and Islam - our strengths, what we struggle with and our relationship with each other. Definitely eye-opeing and hope-filled.
I read this book awhile ago. Reading The Faith Club made me remember this book. It gave good suggestions for learning about and from other religions while keeping true to the heart of your own faith.
I have studied with Jamal Rahman this year and have great respect for him, as a man, a teacher and a Muslim. However this book didn't inspire me as did "The Fragrance of Faith."
Sep 22, 2009 Nick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: faith
A great guidebook/manual/how-to for people interested in exploring interfaith dialogue. Also, a great set of personal stories and testimonies.
May 18, 2011 Amanda rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amanda by: Dave
Shelves: religion
Interesting take on interfaith dialogue, but a little elementary for my experience in the field.
Polly Jirkovsky
an inspiring look at building bridges across the Abrahamic faiths.
Aug 09, 2010 Mariya marked it as to-read
Maryellen marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Deborah is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2015
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Frances marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Leeann Briscoe
Leeann Briscoe marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Jennifer Rinderknecht
Jennifer Rinderknecht marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015