Start by marking “Valley of the Shadow” as Want to Read:
Valley of the Shadow

Valley of the Shadow

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Conner Hayden is certain he survived his near-death experience for a reason. He thinks it's to save the life--and soul--of Mitch Kent. Mitch's body remains on life support while his spirit is trapped with the old farmer Howard Bristol in the Interworld--a strange and dangerous dimension that Conner narrowly escaped during his brush with death in Pawlik's award-winning debu ...more
Published May 27th 2009 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Valley of the Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valley of the Shadow

Haven of Dante by Leonardo RamirezAsterion by Kenneth MorvantBid the Gods Arise by Robert MullinOut of the Silent Planet by C.S. LewisFirebird by Kathy Tyers
Christian Science Fiction
62nd out of 65 books — 71 voters
Edna in the Desert by Maddy LedermanIf We Survive by Andrew KlavanDoon by Carey CorpJenny Kissed Me! by Thomas  AllenSketchy Behavior by Erynn Mangum
Amazing Christian Novels
9th out of 34 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Neil
This is the sequel to 'Vanish' and re-introduces some of the characters from the previous novel as well as introduces a couple of new ones for this story. It moves at a decent pace. I did not 'know' how it was going to end until just before the very end. Actually, the way it goes about 'ending' completely shocked me, because, on the one hand, it was not 'the happy ending' readers would have liked. But from a Christian's perspective, it was a bittersweet ending.

My favorite scene from the book is:
Nora St Laurent
“There’s two guys—two kids in a car,” Jim’s voice was shaky. Out of breath. “I think they’ve just been shot…” Tom pulls you into his story quickly and he never stops drawing you deeper and deeper into his thoughtfully woven story.

Tom Pawlik has a very creative imagination and an exciting writing style that keeps you turning the pages to see what he’s created for you to experience next. Tom gives you a glimpse into a universe—interworld—beyond the physical, into heavenly realms and beyond.

I haven
Kaci Powell
Amazing!

So good! Shockingly better than the first! These books kept me up late many nights, full of suspense with a very deep underlying meaning!
Susan
Excellent! Very powerful message about hell and Heaven. Hoping to find more by this author!
Cara
Best two books I've ever read!!! I stayed up until 3 this morning reading; I couldn't put it down!! Extremely fast-paced supernatural thriller that delves deeply into the concepts of heaven, hell, and what the so-called "light at the end of the tunnel" that dying people experience could really be. Containing the themes of forgiveness, redemption, and true spirituality, this book along with its prequel, Vanish, will keep you guessing until the end. Be sure to read the prequel, Vanish, first.
Scott
When I was looking for a new book this one jumped out at me. I read Pawlik's first book Vanish a couple years ago and remember flying thru it over a summer week in Cali. The sequel did not disappoint! I had to remember what happened in the first, but caught on quick. The way that Pawlik can tell 5 stories simultaneously and switch between them kept the story rolling. This was a combo of a Ted Dekker story and the movie Inception with so called aliens. Can't wait for more!
Ian
I think the sequel was much better with greater character development of Conner and Mitch, but also an enhancement of the spiritual element demonstrating how evil can pervade our lives and consume it, without us even really knowing it.

Tom - a super novel, I'll be recommending it to all my friends as it highlights the critical interplay between the spiritual and the physical worlds. Well done, be great as a movie. Can't wait for No.3
Ivy Manongdo
I love the story, plot, morale, and the thrill. It is indeed page turner book. You can't keep your eyes of the book because you're rooting for what will happen next. I'm glad i bought this book in Logos Hope. It is not only a great novel but also a great way to increase your faith with God. Everything really happens for a reason. You just have to trust God for whatever plans He has for you.
Mollie McGrath
This book was even more powerful than the first! Though it's a fiction book, it gives insight into how powerful the spiritual world really is, and shows we desperately need to be aware of it.
"Christians in America have been lulled into thinking demons aren't real. Satan is subtler here. He comes as an angel of light"
Beata
Fast-paced supernatural thriller. It's a sequel to Vanish (And Vanish is an amazing book! I gave it five stars! Be sure to read it first!). For some reason Valley of the Shadow was somewhat too much for me... But don't get me wrong! It's a great story with even a greater Christian message!
Heath Choate
First let me say I loved this book. It only got a 4 because I liked Vanish more. I think this was because Vanish was filled with suspense and intrigue about what was happening.

With Valley that background is established and the narrative is more straight forward. The story is great.
Davina Lopez
i was confused first couple pages but once u realize what the author is doing, you get really engaged. messes with ur head about the afterlife or "the in between".
Carolina Montague
I wrote a review of this book for ForeWord when I was a book reviewer there. The review is at: https://www.forewordreviews.com/revie...

Carolina
Lyndi
I would have a really hard time if I had to pick if I liked this one or the first more. Pray that author will keep writing, as he is fabulous.
Dion
7/10.
Still compelling reading. Just spells out too much for the reader, unlike the first book, which kept its mystery.
Michelle
A bit out of the ordinary from what I usually read. It is a book that really makes you think.
Ruth
can't wait for the sequel
Ashley Elking
Loved this series.
Angela Sage
Angela Sage marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
tt1
tt1 marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
  • The Warriors (Abby Sherman #2)
  • Vigilante (Dangerous Times, #3)
  • Scream
  • Guardian of the Flame
  • A Case for Love (Brides of Bonneterre, #3)
  • Admission
  • Haunt of Jackals (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #2)
  • Head Game
  • The Soul Hunter (Day of Evil, #2)
  • Shade
  • The Reckoning
  • Gold of Kings
  • Lucifer's Flood
  • The God Hater
  • Singularity (The Jevin Banks Experience, #2)
  • Comes a Horseman
  • The Unseen
  • The Ultimatum (Steadfast #2)
JUMP IN. HANG ON.

Tom is a highly imaginative Christy Award-winning author from Tyndale House Publishers. His first novel, "Vanish" won the Operation First Novel Contest sponsored by the Christian Writers Guild and Tyndale House. Released in June 2008, "Vanish" went on to win a Christy Award in the Visionary category. His follow up sequel, "Valley of the Shadow" was released in June of 2009. His th
More about Tom Pawlik...