Start by marking “Valley of the Shadow” as Want to Read:
Valley of the Shadow

Valley of the Shadow

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  186 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Conner Hayden is certain he survived his near-death experience for a reason. He thinks it’s to save the life—and soul—of Mitch Kent. Mitch’s body remains on life support while his spirit is trapped with the old farmer Howard Bristol in the Interworld—a strange and dangerous dimension that Conner narrowly escaped during his brush with death in Pawlik’s award-winning debut n ...more
Published May 27th 2009 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Valley of the Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valley of the Shadow

Haven of Dante by Leonardo RamirezAsterion by Kenneth MorvantBid the Gods Arise by Robert MullinOut of the Silent Planet by C.S. LewisFirebird by Kathy Tyers
Christian Science Fiction
66th out of 69 books — 79 voters
Edna in the Desert by Maddy LedermanVanish by Tom PawlikIf We Survive by Andrew KlavanDoon by Carey CorpJenny Kissed Me! by Thomas  Allen
Amazing Christian Novels
11th out of 36 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Neil
This is the sequel to 'Vanish' and re-introduces some of the characters from the previous novel as well as introduces a couple of new ones for this story. It moves at a decent pace. I did not 'know' how it was going to end until just before the very end. Actually, the way it goes about 'ending' completely shocked me, because, on the one hand, it was not 'the happy ending' readers would have liked. But from a Christian's perspective, it was a bittersweet ending.

My favorite scene from the book is:
Nora St Laurent
Jul 09, 2015 Nora St Laurent rated it really liked it
“There’s two guys—two kids in a car,” Jim’s voice was shaky. Out of breath. “I think they’ve just been shot…” Tom pulls you into his story quickly and he never stops drawing you deeper and deeper into his thoughtfully woven story.

Tom Pawlik has a very creative imagination and an exciting writing style that keeps you turning the pages to see what he’s created for you to experience next. Tom gives you a glimpse into a universe—interworld—beyond the physical, into heavenly realms and beyond.

I haven
Kaci Powell
Jan 06, 2015 Kaci Powell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

So good! Shockingly better than the first! These books kept me up late many nights, full of suspense with a very deep underlying meaning!
Nick Woodall
Good, but not inspired like Vanish (his first novel). It seemed like he tried too hard and had to use some tricks to make the story flow. You did find out what happened to the characters in the Vanish. It helped conclude the character's stories.
Susan
Apr 18, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Excellent! Very powerful message about hell and Heaven. Hoping to find more by this author!
Cara
Apr 21, 2010 Cara rated it it was amazing
Best two books I've ever read!!! I stayed up until 3 this morning reading; I couldn't put it down!! Extremely fast-paced supernatural thriller that delves deeply into the concepts of heaven, hell, and what the so-called "light at the end of the tunnel" that dying people experience could really be. Containing the themes of forgiveness, redemption, and true spirituality, this book along with its prequel, Vanish, will keep you guessing until the end. Be sure to read the prequel, Vanish, first.
Scott
Sep 28, 2010 Scott rated it really liked it
When I was looking for a new book this one jumped out at me. I read Pawlik's first book Vanish a couple years ago and remember flying thru it over a summer week in Cali. The sequel did not disappoint! I had to remember what happened in the first, but caught on quick. The way that Pawlik can tell 5 stories simultaneously and switch between them kept the story rolling. This was a combo of a Ted Dekker story and the movie Inception with so called aliens. Can't wait for more!
Ian
Jul 03, 2013 Ian rated it it was amazing
I think the sequel was much better with greater character development of Conner and Mitch, but also an enhancement of the spiritual element demonstrating how evil can pervade our lives and consume it, without us even really knowing it.

Tom - a super novel, I'll be recommending it to all my friends as it highlights the critical interplay between the spiritual and the physical worlds. Well done, be great as a movie. Can't wait for No.3
Ivy Manongdo
Jun 05, 2013 Ivy Manongdo rated it it was amazing
I love the story, plot, morale, and the thrill. It is indeed page turner book. You can't keep your eyes of the book because you're rooting for what will happen next. I'm glad i bought this book in Logos Hope. It is not only a great novel but also a great way to increase your faith with God. Everything really happens for a reason. You just have to trust God for whatever plans He has for you.
Mollie McGrath
Sep 13, 2011 Mollie McGrath rated it it was amazing
This book was even more powerful than the first! Though it's a fiction book, it gives insight into how powerful the spiritual world really is, and shows we desperately need to be aware of it.
"Christians in America have been lulled into thinking demons aren't real. Satan is subtler here. He comes as an angel of light"
Beata
Nov 14, 2013 Beata rated it liked it
Fast-paced supernatural thriller. It's a sequel to Vanish (And Vanish is an amazing book! I gave it five stars! Be sure to read it first!). For some reason Valley of the Shadow was somewhat too much for me... But don't get me wrong! It's a great story with even a greater Christian message!
Heath Choate
Sep 29, 2012 Heath Choate rated it really liked it
First let me say I loved this book. It only got a 4 because I liked Vanish more. I think this was because Vanish was filled with suspense and intrigue about what was happening.

With Valley that background is established and the narrative is more straight forward. The story is great.
Davina Lopez
Sep 16, 2010 Davina Lopez rated it really liked it
i was confused first couple pages but once u realize what the author is doing, you get really engaged. messes with ur head about the afterlife or "the in between".
Carolina Montague
Apr 07, 2013 Carolina Montague rated it really liked it
I wrote a review of this book for ForeWord when I was a book reviewer there. The review is at: https://www.forewordreviews.com/revie...

Carolina
Lyndi
Jul 08, 2011 Lyndi rated it it was amazing
I would have a really hard time if I had to pick if I liked this one or the first more. Pray that author will keep writing, as he is fabulous.
Dion
Feb 20, 2012 Dion rated it really liked it
7/10.
Still compelling reading. Just spells out too much for the reader, unlike the first book, which kept its mystery.
Michelle
Jun 20, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
A bit out of the ordinary from what I usually read. It is a book that really makes you think.
Ruth
Mar 17, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing
can't wait for the sequel
Ashley Elking
Nov 27, 2010 Ashley Elking rated it it was amazing
Loved this series.
Dide Mnguni
Dec 03, 2012 Dide Mnguni rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!
Petra Wallenmeyer
Petra Wallenmeyer marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Julie D Wedgworth
Julie D Wedgworth rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Nick Hendricks
Nick Hendricks rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Heather Barbour
Heather Barbour marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Stephanie Kelley
Stephanie Kelley marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Jonathan Henderson
Jonathan Henderson marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Warriors (Abby Sherman #2)
  • Admission
  • Nightmare (Dangerous Times, #2)
  • The Soul Hunter (Day of Evil, #2)
  • Haunt of Jackals (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #2)
  • A Case for Love (Brides of Bonneterre, #3)
  • Scream
  • Shade
  • The Reckoning
  • Head Game
  • Double Helix
  • Gold of Kings
  • The God Hater
  • Guardian of the Flame
  • Singularity (The Jevin Banks Experience, #2)
  • The Unseen
  • The Lights of Tenth Street
  • Flash Point (In a Heartbeat #2)
JUMP IN. HANG ON.

Tom is a highly imaginative Christy Award-winning author from Tyndale House Publishers. His first novel, "Vanish" won the Operation First Novel Contest sponsored by the Christian Writers Guild and Tyndale House. Released in June 2008, "Vanish" went on to win a Christy Award in the Visionary category. His follow up sequel, "Valley of the Shadow" was released in June of 2009. His th
More about Tom Pawlik...