Start by marking “Tantras (Avatar #2)” as Want to Read:
Preview

Tantras (Avatar #2)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  2,829 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Heroes Stand Trial!
When Elminster, the Old Sage of Shadowdale, is apparently slain, Midnight and Adon stand trial for his murder.
When Bane, god of murder, and his allies seek the lost Tablets of Fate, a slender dark-haired woman is all that stands between Faerun and disaster.
When a friend betrays them, Midnight and her companions can trust no one.
Published June 1989 by TSR (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Tantras, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tantras

Homeland by R.A. SalvatoreThe Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition by R.A. SalvatoreThe Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition by R.A. SalvatoreThe Halfling's Gem by R.A. SalvatoreDissolution by Richard Lee Byers
Best Forgotten Realms Novels
94th out of 118 books — 100 voters
Sojourn by R.A. SalvatoreStreams of Silver by R.A. SalvatoreStarless Night by R.A. SalvatoreCormyr by Ed GreenwoodSon of Thunder by Murray J.D. Leeder
All Forgotten Realms Books
51st out of 158 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Aik
It was rather annoying how Cyric turned randomly EEEEEEEEEEEVIL. Throughout Shadowdale he seemed like a pretty normal sort of person - self-centred and ruthless, sure - but not power-obsessed evil.

It's like the author got to this book and went 'oshi-! I forgot to make Cyric a bad guy!' and then had him start being a complete dick.
Spiro
Yeah, it's OK. It's got me interested enough to keep reading, which very few series do these days. I'm also hopeful that book 3 is better as it's written by Troy Denning.

I don't think this was as solid as the first one. The characters reacted to things in ways that at times I felt were either nonsensical, or illogical, and sometimes borderline out of character. But overall, I didn't feel like I wanted to scrape out the author's eyeballs with a rusty spoon, so I consider that a win.

Plus, I learn
Werehare
2/10

[Recensione cumulativa per l'intera trilogia]
Immaginate di assistere in qualità di spettatore non giocante a una sessione di Dungeons&Dragons. Ora immaginate che tutti i giocatori siano lui. Ecco, la sensazione che si prova leggendo questa trilogia è più o meno questa: una successione di banalità accuratamente scelte per essere il più banali, generiche e mosce possibile. Non per niente Dungeons&Dragons è stato concepito sotto forma di gioco: leggere il resoconto di sessioni altrui è
Danny Runkel
Let's take a look at the four main pillars of a story as applied to this work.

First, characters. The characters in this book were relatable enough, and though not completely developed as one would hope, they were easy to follow, understand, and run along side with. Though I will admit that Adon was pretty useless the entire time and never really pulled his own weight. I'm not for throwing the character overboard. I'm just saying, he needed to step up his game and contribute. However, one charact
David Sarkies
Well, the second installment in the Avatar Trilogy, a series designed to bridge the change from the 1st Edition rules to the 2nd Edition rules. It seems, after a quite look at the blurb, that the heroes have been framed for the murder of Elminster (though I would be making them heroes rather than putting them on trial). However, as soon as I saw 'Bane: God of Murder' you sort of instantly know who is behind it. It is also set in the city of Tantras, which is a city in the Realms that pretty muc ...more
*Queen Diva*
Dec 06, 2010 *Queen Diva* rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to *Queen Diva* by: General H. Sassafras
Shelves: borrowed, adult
Tantras moved a lot slower than Shadowdale and I had a hard time keeping focused enough to read it. I definitely felt like the author thought "I know I want three books in the series, so here is the main thing my heroes need to do in this book, the second book, and the third book." But when he got to the second book he went "Huh.... well, this needs to be at least 300 pages long, what can I do to fill the pages up to make it longer."

The story just dragged on and on and on and I felt a lot of stu
Shivesh
What to say about this unfortunate second volume in a dreadful trilogy? Where can I even start?

Well, some fanboy history is in order. The Forgotten Realms (FR) has always been a favorite setting for a lot of dungeon gaming, and even more popular for its series of stories set in its deep and populated world. The collaborative nature of this universe makes for some disjointed storytelling but makes room for quite a bit of character building and adventure. I came across FR mostly in two phases: fir
David
Aún sin esperar mucho de el, ni la estrellita factor nostalgia le doy esta vez. Los personajes pierden por completo el sentido, con un cambio en Cyric que aunque sabías que tenía que suceder, no hay por donde cogerlo. Sigue la historia de aventuras siendo más alocados los encuentros y perdiendo gancho los villanos. Los dioses son sencillamente cortitos en el relato, vale que algunos eventos suceden para adaptarse al cambio obligado de la editorial pero rompen por completo con las limitaciones qu ...more
Austin Newberry
What failed to start strong with "Shadowdale" continues to sink in quality. The characters are diametrically opposed in belief, but stay together for the author's sake to continue the plot. Battle scenes are so far beyond plausibility, they are laughingly bad. Leaves the reader with the dreaded question "I've invested too much time already, but there is one more in the trilogy. Do I soldier on to see how it turns out?"
Brian
Picking up where Shadowdale left off, Tantras starts with some of the same questionable character motivations and disjointed plot elements but quickly moves into a much more cohesive narrative. Unfortunately, this advancement in storytelling quality is sullied by a story which, in itself, is fairly dull for three quarters of the book. Added to this are characters who are impossible to like (Adon for acting like a half-comotose five-year-old and Cyric for going out of his way to be cruel, even fo ...more
Vijayan Haridas
Even as the heroes escape, Bane and his ally, Myrkul, God of Death, set in motion a plot. The plot just gets better and this is where friends become traitors. Chaos rules the Book 2 of the Avatar Trilogy.
Red Siegfried
Okay, so I think I see where they're going with that cliffhanger I referred to in my comments on the last book. However, that's only because having been a D&D geek for years, I have some foreknowledge of the ultimate fate of at least one of the characters. Not having known that, I would be wondering why the author bothered and assumed it was because his contract specified a certain number of words. More to follow ...

Okay, if I hear "the raven-haired mage, the green-eyed fighter, the hawk-nos
Jesse
The biggest problem with Forgotten Realms, as a whole, is that they use so many authors to tell a story. As a result, the characters'personalitis changes (some time the entire flow of the story as well). It was never more apparent in this story. Cyric was not an evil character in the first book, and while he had a shady past, he was not the same character in the second book. As a reader, we need something to explain the change, some event, but this never happend in this book. So, that was really ...more
David
The second book felt similar to the first book, in that the characterisation was poorly done. Again, there was not much reflections or the delving into a character's thoughts and motives. The plot is getting interesting, but sadly it wasn't presented well. The earlier parts of the story, where it was nothing more than a plot event to drive the main characters into a fugitive status felt very forced and out of character for the people of Shadowdale. The finale titanic duel was a bit cliched when ...more
dVicko
Pretty good.
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Σάμπως και να βελτιώθηκαν λίγο τα πράγματα. Ή μάλλον ισορρόπησαν. Εντυπωσιακές εικόνες που βρωμίζονται από βλακώδη σχέδια μάχης. Ο Άντον αποκτά αξία λίγο μικρότερη ενός επίπλου, αλλά ο Ελμίνστερ είναι πιο μ@λ@κ@ς από ποτέ. Η Μίντναϊτ συμπεριφέρεται σαν ηλίθια κι όλοι όσοι τους κυνηγούν είναι κακοίιιιιιι, πιο κακοί κι από τον πανίσχυρο μεγιστάνα. Ωστόσο είναι κλάσεις ανώτερο της Κοιλάδας των Σκιών. Ελπίζω σε μια μικρή βελτίωση στο επόμενο (Βαθιά Νερά), βασιζόμενη στο ότι αλλάζει κι ο συγγραφέας.
Jason Hoff
Nathan
Synopsis - In this book Midnight, Adon, Cyric and Kelemvor got to the location of the first Tablet of Fate, Tantras.

Classification -
Audience: 13+
Purpose: Entertainment
Medium: Novel
Genre - Setting: Fantasy
Genre - Style: Idealism
Genre - Plot: Action/Adventure

Criticism - It was a great book. This book is good for anyone who likes fantasy and/or action/adventure novels. The only reason this book isn't five stars in my opinion is because there was too much romance.
Steve Ragusin
Book 2 of the Avatar Series found a pretty good groove and had a solid pace. So far the better of the 2. Now it's on to Book 3 Waterdeep.
Annie Ladner
The second book in this trilogy was a little more interesting than the first, but it was still fairly tedious. The second half of the story was more entertaining than the first, but I have a feeling that if I weren't reading this series as research for my D&D character (a cleric of Torm) (Hi, I'm a nerd.), I wouldn't have found it quite as interesting.
Marie
Like the previous book in the series, the story was good but the writing was not that great. Biggest pet peeve this time: how many times can characters say something "flatly"!?! I have no problem with that being used occasionally, but no joke, that word was used at least a hundred times in this book. I began to groan every time I read it.
Devi
This book, the second volume of the Avatar trilogy, continues the story of the quest to return the tablet of fate to their rightful place. The story moves along at a good pace with enough action and twists to be interesting.

This is a re-read for me but it has been a lot of fun. Looking forward to the third volume.
Mark
I guess Cyric turns evil or whatever? I don't know. I have this problem with these trilogies I read long ago, in that I never remember anything about the middle book. I remember where things start and I sort of remember where they end. In the middle? No. Not so much.
General H. Sassafras
Like Shadowdale, I found the writing style awful.

However, the story keeps me coming back for more. I've read this trilogy more than once, and I always find that even if I hate Midnight and Kelemvor.... Cyric always has me coming back for more.
Nathan
The classic TSR D&D series continues, as Fighter, Wizard, Cleric and Thief battle gods and randomly-rolled street encounters with beggars. Rated PG for violence and supernatural themes. 2.5/5
Jwn
If you are a fan of FR, these books tell an epic account of the doings of the gods. Subtle characterizations may be difficult to catch, but overall, the story itself is fascinating.
Robert
Honor, lycanthropes, betrayal and the fact that the characters become gods elevate this trilogy over some of the more mundane and predictable dungeons and dragons novels.
Josh Hancock
It took me a long time to finish this book because I wasn't driven to continue reading it.
Marco
The second book of this fantasy saga is better than the first... but it far from being remarkable.
Stephen
If you enjoyed the Dark Elf trilogy, the Avatar trilogy is equally enjoyable!
  • Waterdeep (Avatar #3)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • Black Wizards (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wyvern's Spur (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #2)
  • Pool of Radiance (Forgotten Realms: Pools, #1)
  • Cormyr
  • Elfsong (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #8; Songs & Swords, #2)
  • Crypt of the Shadowking (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #6)
  • Azure Bonds (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #1)
  • Red Magic (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #3)
Scott Ciencin was a New York Times best-selling novelist of 90+ books. He wrote adult and children's fiction and worked in a variety of mediums including comic books. He created programs for Scholastic Books, designed trading cards, consulted on video games, directed and produced audio programs & TV commercials, and wrote in the medical field about neurosurgery and neurology. He first worked i ...more
More about Scott Ciencin...

Avatar (5 books)
  • Shadowdale (Avatar #1)
  • Waterdeep (Avatar #3)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #5)
Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1) Shadowdale (Avatar #1) The Night Parade (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #4) Sweet Sixteen (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, #6) Lost City (Dinotopia, #4)