Start by marking “Summer” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176

Alice Low

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A classic is given a colorful new look in the delightful Summer from Alice Low. Originally published in 1963, this story recalls the the small treats of this warm season, like watching fireworks and fishing. Two friends and a dog wile away the days as they play, laugh, and discover the wonders of the summer together. This reissue features vibrant, new colors sure to bring ...more
Published September 13th 1963 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer

Liane Marie

Category: Hardcover

Age: 1-6+ years

Synopsis: “Summer” sweetly describes all the fun ways to enjoy summer. This book features adorable drawings by the illustrator of “Snow,” which was previously reviewed on this blog.

Bilingual benefit: “Summer” is a part of the Dr. Seuss Beginner Book series intended for new readers. As a new reader book, the simple language rhymes well and has a sing-song rhythm. For those familiar with Israel, the illustrations may remind you of life on a kibbutz. For Americans
Bethany Erickson
My kindergartners found the pictures of the dog "pup" to be hysterical. I think they enjoyed that more than anything else in the story.
Amanda
Perfect for this time of year. Love their little dog.
Pam
This book kind of annoys me. The text has facile rhymes that don't engage, and it's much to long. Also, I don't like the illustrations,not my kind of artwork. The kids do like it, though, so I gave it 2 stars instead of 1. Definitely wouldn't read it if it weren't for the reading every kids book project.
Rene Spector Johnson
We have the 1963 edition from my childhood that my grandmother read to my sister and I. My six year old really liked it, it was an easy read aloud (probably a level 2, for length). The pictures and the rhyme scheme are engaging, but the dog, of course, wins the prize :)

Summer
I LOVE the illustrations in this book, and the story just makes me happy. It brings back fond memories of magical childhood summers. I'm so glad to be able to now witness the joy that summer brings through the eyes of my son. I love reading this book to him.
jacky
One of those early readers that are quite long but don't really say all that much.
Mandas
I grew up reading this book and now I am reading it to my 2 year old daughter. We LOVE it! It's filled with wonderful things about summer! We have a board book addition also.
Madkropotkin
My son read this book to us tonight. I really liked this book, I am a Summer baby after all. My son was pointing out somethings we do during the summer time and we all laughed. This is a good little book that is well written and excellently illustrated that brings joy to all of the family.
Kirei
I thought for sure this was written by P.D. Eastman, but it is actually by Alice Low. It is a nice go-along with "Snow" and is actually better than "Snow" in my opinion. My son didn't know what croquet was, and so learned a new word from this book!
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 130133 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV
Alida
Dec 03, 2007 Alida rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: k-1
Another great beginners book. It deals with everything that comes with summer. Cute illustrations. I would use it for beginners or low readers to read for fun.
Tara Carpenter
One of my favorites from childhood. A few years ago I started reading it to my kids, and last year my oldest started reading it to his brothers without me!
Literacy Group
Sep 18, 2013 Literacy Group rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: K-2
This picture book describes all the fun things to do in the summer such as watching fireworks, fishing, swimming, and going to a fair.
Lisa Mcbroom
Wonderful story of childhood summer in which everything was innocent. I remember doing many things this boy and girl did.
Jasmine
Good book for learning words that rhyme and for Word recognition as some of the words are repeated over again.
Kapra McMichael
-A book about the activities of summer
-A good book for the end of the school year
Lisa
Of course we had to have this book since we have the "Snow" book by P.D. Eastman.
Marilyn
I LOVE Summer for all of these reasons. Great illustrations and fun rhyming verse.
Jenny
May 30, 2008 Jenny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute illustrations. It reminds me of all the things I love about summer!
Theresa
a story about a childs summer and their activites and ideals
Mommalovesbaby
Fun rhyming book to read. Reminded me slightly of Dr. Seuss books.
Netanella
Cute, rhyming book about the childhood joys of summer.
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
  • Snow (Beginner Books)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Fred and Ted Go Camping (Beginner Books(R))
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • The Bears' Vacation
  • Stop that Ball!
  • The Reason for a Flower: A Book About Flowers, Pollen, and Seeds
  • The Knight and the Dragon
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
  • Trains
  • The Alphabet Book (Bright & Early Board Books)
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Play Rhyme
  • Over in the Meadow
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • Night-Night, Little Pookie
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Pick the Pears
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
  • Glad Monster, Sad Monster
The Witch Who Was Afraid of Witches Aunt Lucy Went to Buy a Hat Blueberry Mouse The Simon & Schuster Book of Greek Gods and Heroes The Popcorn Shop