Start by marking “Dogzilla” as Want to Read:
Dogzilla

Dogzilla

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,110 ratings  ·  120 reviews
It's time for Mousopolis's First Annual Barbecue Cook-Off. But just when the fun is about to begin, the irresistible aroma of barbecue sauce awakens the most frightening creature known to mousekind: the dreaded Dogzilla. As her horrible doggy breath fills the streets, the residents of Mousopolis must run for their lives. Can they get rid of that big stinky dog before it's ...more
Published 1994 by Scholastic (first published September 29th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Dogzilla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogzilla

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is a very silly book and really pretty stupid unless you love dogs. The author says the stars are all his pets. His adorable mutt takes center stage as Dogzilla. All the scenes are photos of the dog and/or other animals with the surroundings of the scene painted on. It's obvious that the photos are just random pictures taken of this little guy/gal, usually grinning re-purposed for this book, but somehow the effect is freakin' hilarious. The beast is a mixed breed, chunky, kind of funny look ...more
Monster
Dav Pilkey's unusual style of illustration- photographic collage retouched with acrylic paint- gives his book a surreal look even before the story has started. Although his rating of EG warns that some material make be too goofy for grown-ups, the book is like a giant inside joke for the parents. Kids will slide right inside the story of Dogzilla, a giant dog who emerges from a volcano at the smell of barbecue in the city of Mousopolis (populated, you guessed it, by mice), eating barbecue and ac ...more
So CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Qt
Cute, clever story, with inventive and really fun picures: photos combined with art!
Caleb
I don't think this worked all that well as Kat Kong, on account of dogs and mice not having the same sort of relationship as cats and mice, although the imagery was pretty cool. Godzilla doesn't lend itself to the sort of one-for-one parody that King Kong does, and so this doesn't really play off Godzilla the way Kat Kong played off of its monster movie inspiration.

But what I really disliked about it was that the mice were barbecuing mice-sized ribs and drumbsticks, and it was the smell of this
Alys
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Picture book

Estimate of age level of interest: 3-10 year olds

Estimate of reading level:
Grade level Equivalent: 3.7
Lexile Measure: AD720L
DRA: 20
Guided Reading: L

Brief description: Out of the volcano came the most horrifying creature known to all mouse-kind! It's Dogzilla. She terrorizes the town of mouseopolous, chewing the furniture store and doing dog-like things. How will the mice get rid of her? This is a super funny book that children
Kristin
Oh gosh, this picture book is too cute! Will the residents of Mouseopolis escape the terrors of the dreaded Dogzilla? Find out in Dav Pilkey's Dogzilla!
Joolissa
An all time favorite childhood book that still remains among them two decades later! It is sooo funny and I love the wordplay, though I think it would be even funnier if I'd seen any Godzilla films. Even so, it's quite impossible to read this book without laughing, chuckling, and giggling, just like with the other book in this series, Kat Kong. The photo collage ("heavily retouched [in a non-photoshop way] with acrylic paint") illustrations are an amazing complement to this parody.
Steph
Read this many times with my son, and laughed hysterically every time!
Edward Creter
From the depths of the imagination of Dav Pilkey, the legend behind the Saga of Captain Underpants, the most controversial and beloved superhero adventure of ALL TIME....comes the horror of the most lovable monster dog ever to be unleashed (ha ha)...DOGZILLA! With a purposeful grimace and a terrible snarl he wags his tail and brings high tension wires down! (You Blue Oyster Cult fans, you know how this goes!) He picks up a bus and he throws it back down then chases a speeding taxi's hubcaps thru ...more
Meg McGregor
Dav Pilkey is known for his silliness and this story is a real treat!

Dogzilla comes up out of the volcano, after smelling the Barbecue Cook-Off.

The mice do everything they can to dispatch her; but she is after all, Dogzilla; they are mice. It seems the mice cannot win.

Then, the Big Cheese,comes up with a plan to get rid of the dog.

I love the ending. It is precious!
Sandie
Love Dav Pilkey's little kid books...they are so fun!

Kat Kong was the story that started it all for us and it still remains the favorite but we really loved Dogzilla as well. I have been reading Dav Pilkey since forever....my boys also both enjoyed him when they were little.

The pictures are real dogs and mice, the actors are listed in the beginning of the book which is great along with the book rating of EG which stands for extremely goofy! They have been photoshopped or something...I'm not sur
Megan Morris
I thought this book was so cute. The story made me literally laugh, I am sure young children would absolutely love this. The story line was great and the pictures were what made me laugh the most. The pictures were a painting with real photos on top of the painting. I remember reading this book when I younger and I still found that I liked this book the same, if not more.
Avid Reader
I've read this book so many times and continue to do so. Very cleverly written by the author to where children love the story and real pictures of his animals used in the drawings along with the cleverest puns on an adult dry humor side. My almost 16 year old daughter still has me read this one to her about once a month or so.
Magila
3.5

This is similar to Johnny Boo. Lighthearted, with a little bit of a better message than the average Boo book. I'm a big fan of mixed media, with pictures and illustrations mixed together.

Borrow it from the library, than buy it.
Terry
Dav Pilkey never fails to make me laugh!

"Dogzilla" is his take on 'Godzilla' of course, and Mr. Pilkey remains true to form once again with this one. With a little help from some of his furry friends and several small props, he has masterfully re-created an army once again to fight the villainous "Dogzilla". You must see the pictures and experience Mr. Pilkey's creative genius for yourself. You won't regret it.

Warning for parents, guardians, teachers and librarians: These are not just your kids
Haley Hunter
Was a good book my nephews really enjoyed the pictures in the book. This be a good book a children if they want a good laugh. The story is good and i see why is was a kids choice book.
Jehan Jones-Radgowski
My kids love this book. Ok actually my four year old loves this book. My two year old likes to watch her brother's reactions to this book. It never gets old.
Reese
Everybody Wins MN
Feb 21, 2014 Everybody Wins MN rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1st grade and select 2nd graders
A Cardigan Welsh Corgi-zilla descends on Mousopolis. Big Cheese takes charge to save the day, but is it over? 1st grade and select 2nd grade.
Tracy
Must be read with appropriate squeaky mouse and monster dog voices to illicit a multitude of giggles from five year olds.
Kyoko Giedeman
Cute book, but compared to Kat Kong, kinda disappointing
Elise
Loved these books when I was a kid circa 1993. So cute.
Allison Zingale
The mixed media in this book was hilarious and the story was full of puns and humor. I loved it! This same author wrote the Captain Underpants series- I think he is a pro at getting kids to smile. Although this is based off of Godzilla, there really is not any violence. I really want to take this into the Boys and Girls Club that I volunteer at. I know the kids would LOVE it. If you are a teacher and really want to find a message for the kids to absorb, I would go with "teamwork." The mice all w ...more
Audree Anderson
Lots of difficult words but engaging story.
Kristine Hall
I read this book to a group of kindergartners, and they were amused -- but not nearly as much as me! The key, I found, is that little kids don't know Godzilla, so that basic starting line of humor is lost.

Having said that, the photographs and accompanying text make this book very funny. (who doesn't like to see a mouse in uniform? A slobbery, clueless looking pup terrorizing the city?)

The book's been out a while, but telling kids that DOGZILLA was written by the same guy that wrote the CAPTAIN U
Lesley
Cute and silly story for kids to enjoy! Love the pictures of the animals!
Cheetah
Dogzilla is the funniest short story I've ever read. It's really neat that the pictures in this book are pictures of real animals! Even adults can laugh along to this story. I first read this book in a reading book that had short stories in it. It was part of my school work so before I read this story I thought it was really boring. From the moment I started reading I was laughing hysterically! The next time I go to the library I'm picking up Kat Kong and I can't wait!
Jessica
This is a top favorite in our house, with my son choosing it as his selection to have read by me in his classroom in honor of his 6th birthday. It concerns the good citizens of Mouseopolis, who are enduring the havoc wreaked by that horrible canine, Dogzilla. But the mice team up to defeat Dogzilla with a scheme that is as gentle as it is ingenious. Filled with silly puns and illustrated with collages including photos of the star mice and dogs, this one is a charmer.
  • The Dumb Bunnies' Easter (The Dumb Bunnies, #2)
  • Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs
  • Frankenstein Takes the Cake
  • Guji Guji
  • Owen and Mzee: The Language of Friendship
  • Ivan the Terrier
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones (Skippyjon Jones, #4)
  • Santa Duck
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • The Perfect Nest
  • Cozy Classics: Pride and Prejudice
  • Detective LaRue: Letters from the Investigation
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

More about Dav Pilkey...
The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1) Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets (Captain Underpants, #2) The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (Captain Underpants, #4) Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (Captain Underpants, #6)